Kevin Kolb: “I have a lot to prove”

Kevin Kolb AP

The Cardinals gave up a bounty to trade for quarterback Kevin Kolb and sign him to a new contract, raising a big question: Is this guy who has all of seven career starts really worth it?

Kolb says that’s a valid question, and he knows the Cardinals are taking a big chance on him.

“I have a lot to prove on that end — there’s no doubt there’s some sort of risk there. There’s risk in anything you do,” Kolb said at his introductory press conference. “I look forward to putting in plenty of work to make sure it happens. Nobody is going to out-work me.”

Kolb said the quarterback he’s trying to emulate is Kurt Warner, who had a great deal of success in coach Ken Whisenhunt’s offense before retiring after the 2009 season.

“It’s a hard act to follow — he’s a Hall of Famer,” Kolb said of Warner. “I’ve watched a lot of film on Kurt. The things he does on the field are masterful.”

Kolb said he’s confident that people in Arizona will see that he’s the right man for the job.

“I think I can play,” Kolb said. “I think people who have watched me think I can play.”

The Cardinals obviously think Kolb can play. If they’re wrong, this week’s blockbuster deal will be a major setback to the franchise.

Permalink 35 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Arizona Cardinals, Home, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors
35 Responses to “Kevin Kolb: “I have a lot to prove””
  1. hobartbaker says: Jul 29, 2011 3:18 PM

LOL at Kornpone. Matt Moore has a better career record in the league. Playing for a MUCH less talented team.

2. daburgher says: Jul 29, 2011 3:20 PM

“I think I can play”
    hahahaha even Kolb isn’t so sure
    Good luck Cards.. definitely gonna need it, especially since your genius coach Whisenhunt keeps trading away the defense.

3. snowpea84 says: Jul 29, 2011 3:21 PM

Best of luck to him.

4. renaissanceman87 says: Jul 29, 2011 3:25 PM

I think it’s a good thing that Kevin Kolb thinks the people that have watched him thinks he can play.

5. seabreezes51 says: Jul 29, 2011 3:25 PM

Cards fans are gonna LOVE this guy.
    I hated to see him go, but he wasn’t going to get his chance in Philly.

6. xstaticonradio says: Jul 29, 2011 3:26 PM

Well, at least he’s better than Derek Anderson…

7. aram42287 says: Jul 29, 2011 3:27 PM

DRC is all speed…wake up call speed diminishes with age. DRC got burned all of last year and all of a sudden he is a shut down corner now that is is no longer a Cardinal? Give me a break DRC will be injured before seasons end.

8. halo81 says: Jul 29, 2011 3:27 PM

I cannot wait until Arizona blows the doors off the NFC West this season and all of these Kolb haters shut the hell up.

Signed,

An Eagles Fan

9. macjacmccoy says: Jul 29, 2011 3:30 PM

You cant look at his record and get a real sense at how he has competed. Yes he has lost more games then he has 1 as a starter but have u actually looked at those loses? 2 of them where in games when the Eagles were sitting all their starters and he was playing with 2nd n 3rd stringers vs starters on the other team. Another loss was against the superbowl winning Saints where it wasnt his fault they lost he put up nearly 400 yards and 30+ points it was the defenses fault. And even the Titans game he lost last year really wasnt his fault. He was up by a couple tds in the 4th and then Kenny Britt went off and torched the Eagles d.

But you guys obviously know more bc you read a stat somewhere.

10. mad5555 says: Jul 29, 2011 3:30 PM

@ aram42287 says:Jul 29, 2011 3:27 PM

______________________________
    How about you write something original. You just copy and pasted from something you said yesterday. Stop hating and worry about your own boring team losing.
    HAHAHA

11. turgidsen says: Jul 29, 2011 3:34 PM

Umm you think ? how about $63 million dollars a second round draft choice and a quality cornerback to prove . I think Kolb is good but….. Andy Reid is the master of increasing value for his players.

12. mhm0428 says: Jul 29, 2011 3:35 PM

I don’t get where all this malicious words are for Kevin Kolb. In all honesty the kid never got a fair shot in Philly. He got hurt and then Reid pulled the rug out from under him. Apparently no one watched the Atlanta. I don’t know how good he’ll be, but for people to say he sucks after a very limited scope simply do not know what they are talking about.

13. aram42287 says: Jul 29, 2011 3:35 PM

The last time I recall we beat the eagles in the NFC championship…no hating here.

14. brs027 says: Jul 29, 2011 3:36 PM

If he has a lot to prove why is he getting 12 million a year?

15. shaggytoodle says: Jul 29, 2011 3:36 PM

I don’t know how good or bad Kolb is going to be, he has been in the league 4 years and started less than 10 games. I do think in some aspects the trade may have been a reach, but if Zona doesn’t see R-C in thier future it is easier to part with.

My best guess, is this will turn ot to be similar to the Texans and Schaub deal, the main difference being will be that the Cards will have a chance to win a wide open division. The Texans on the other hand had to look up at the Colts.

16. kpow55 says: Jul 29, 2011 3:38 PM

DRC couldn’t keep up with NFC West recievuers last year, short of maybe Crabtree, no name guys.

Knee problems aside, he is really goign to struggle against the Giants & Cowboys.

Kolb dosen’t need to Brady, just don’t be DA

17. sdw2001 says: Jul 29, 2011 3:40 PM

daburgher says:
    Jul 29, 2011 3:20 PM
    “I think I can play”
    hahahaha even Kolb isn’t so sure
    ——————–

Intellectually dishonest on your part. You know that’s not what he meant.

18. aram42287 says: Jul 29, 2011 3:43 PM

@mad5555 says:
    Jul 29, 2011 3:30 PM

HAHAHA

Boy you need to get out of your Moms basement and get a job. We all know the story with the eagles….They will blow up during the regular season vick will get hurt and they will lose by a field goal in the divisional round of the playoffs. The last time I recall the Cardinals beat the eagles in the NFC championship.

19. jquaste says: Jul 29, 2011 3:48 PM

As an Eagles fan, my guess is that Cards fans are going to love this guy! I know it was just one game, but look at the Eagles/Falcons game from last year. The other quartbacks available NEVER had a game like that! 23 for 29, 3 TDs, 133.6 rating. He’s going to be just fine. It may take him a little while to adjust to a new offense but he’s already, at the very least, the second best quarterback in that division.

20. docredskin says: Jul 29, 2011 3:49 PM

So, seven nondescript starts on a very talented offensive team, with a coach who has demonstrated that he is a quarterback whisperer, merits a former first round corner and a future second round pick in return, to say nothing of the enormous contract upon arrival.

But if Shanny wants to give John Beck a shot to see what he’s got on a team that has little hope of a playoff berth, he’s to be ridiculed?

Face it, John Beck IS Kevin Kolb. Both former second rounders from college offenses that are known for inflated numbers, both inexperienced, both drafted by smart football men, both left their former teams because they weren’t going to get a chance to unseat the incumbent. Yet Kolb is a franchise quarterback and Beck is the butt of a joke?

Sounds about right…

21. rcali says: Jul 29, 2011 3:51 PM

Good Luck to him. I guess the cardinals will have to pass on Luck though with the first pick in draft.

22. rabidmike says: Jul 29, 2011 3:51 PM

Now that this deal is done, I have some requests. Please stop calling the Cardinals frugal or cheap. Please recognize that at least one guy who covers the Eagles describes Kolb as having an unbeatable work ethic, being of high character and being courageous. Also recognize that scouts and GMs don’t question is arm strength or his football IQ. Pocket presence, reading defenses, not overly relying on his arm strength and decision making under stress are areas where he needs to improve. And remember that this team is far from complete and the Cards are not putting all our eggs in a Kolb basket. Ryan Williams provides a new element to our run game. And finally, to the Cardinals don’t assume that we will be satisfied with this move. Addressing depth and scheme is all well and good, but you have shown a history of passing on talent for need. Please bring in more weapons, let there be no debate who will win the NFC West. Our season will be defined by our start and our finish because that middle part is gonna be rough.

23. eaglesfootballfan says: Jul 29, 2011 3:52 PM

Kolb has to go up against the entire NFC East this year. Ware, Cole, Babin, Kerrigan and Orakpo comming off the edge.

24. eaglesfootballfan says: Jul 29, 2011 3:52 PM

Cardinals Offensive line better protect this guy because he is not good under pressure.

25. shadowgm1 says: Jul 29, 2011 4:11 PM

“In other news, Kevin Kolb makes a glaringly obvious statement today…”

Wow, does this guy exude confidence or what? I bet I’d expect someone like Montana, Namath, Young, Starr or Favre to say that in a press conference where the team you’re representing was just fleeced for all to see. Not every game will be against a defense like the Chiefs or being down 48 points to a prevent oriented defense like the Saints. Alarming statistics abound, but I wonder how many comebacks he led in his seven starts…and were some of them like his Packers debut in which he left after digging a 13-3 hole and no signs of knowing what to do to lift them out of it?

I read that much of their decision was based upon him having two great days against their defense. Question – who other than DRC did they have to maintain a solid pass defense with? He just left in one of the biggest trade blunders in history.

26. sasquash20 says: Jul 29, 2011 4:15 PM

As an Eagles fan who watched Kolb make every throw hes ever made in the NFL, the kid has a shot at being pretty good. The thing that scared me as it pertains to my Eagles was when he was pressured. The Eagles O-Line wasn’t very good last season at all. When he has time he can be very good, but he needs to learn how to deal with pressure in his face better. That being said I think he will. Hes a coaches kid, that works hard and says all the right things. I like Kolb way more then I like Vick (who I just can’t forgive as a dog lover), but Vick is the better of the 2 right now. So the Eagles had to move him. The more I read the more I think we may have gotten fleeced. I guess DRC had a bad season last year, I just hope he turns it around now that hes getting a new fresh start. I sure wish BDAWK was still here to show him how to be a pro. I’m not so sure with the guys we have on defense if anyone can be that type of leader.

27. dsarge21 says: Jul 29, 2011 4:17 PM

His quotes sound just like they did last year when the Eagles gave him the starting job. Good luck ‘Zona haha

28. eagleseagleseagles says: Jul 29, 2011 4:17 PM

Who says Steve Breaston leaving is gonna hurt his completion % in Arizona. There’s kelly jennings, marc trufant, lawyer milloy, earl thomas, ron bartell and the list goes on and on. Even though they are no names, Kolb will make them look good when hes dishing out presents in the form of interceptions and sacks every Sunday and occasionally on monday.

29. mvp43 says: Jul 29, 2011 4:34 PM

Love how players say they have something to prove after they sign the big deal…………

30. norcaleagles says: Jul 29, 2011 4:35 PM

ARAM, Really?? Thats the last you can remember?? That game was 3 seasons ago! I guess if I was a cards fan, I too, would want to forget about the last 2 seasons.

31. bozosforall says: Jul 29, 2011 4:46 PM

daburgher says:
    Jul 29, 2011 3:20 PM
    “I think I can play”
    hahahaha even Kolb isn’t so sure

__
    Stewart Bradley begs to differ.

Also, Patrick Peterson is 10X better than DRC ever was or will be. No huge loss on DRC going to Philly, particularly since this is a QB-driven league.

32. melonnhead says: Jul 29, 2011 4:55 PM

———————————————————

At least the Cardinals have won a playoff game in the last two seasons.

33. kingbuccaneer says: Jul 29, 2011 5:40 PM

He should have said, ” I think I can play but I know the Cards greatly overpaid for me.”

34. december77 says: Jul 29, 2011 5:44 PM

Part of the reason Kolb didn’t win back the starting job is because the Eagles O-line was horrible, and only a QB with Vick’s mobility could survive behind it. Arizona really needs to beef up their O-line or Kolb won’t be successful. And then we’ll hear more stories about how QBs in Philly turn to garbage after the Eagles trade them away. So don’t blame Andy Reid if the Cardinals fail to build up their O-line.

35. jbeatzz says: Jul 29, 2011 6:08 PM

kolb does have some good qualities that cards fans will like, as in, his work ethic, demeanor, accuracy and he is well liked by teammates and he can play and hes shown that with his player of the week awards. obviously he has to show that he can do it consistently to prove hes more than just a good backup.

downside: inexperience and hes thrown int’s especially early on but thats to be expected. he also seemed to get flustered by the blitz at times and locked on to 1 wr. i think a lot of that is inexperience.

another factor is we all know what happens to qb’s after they leave philly…