Nothing yet on Asomugha

y_images_Nnamdi Asomugha_3 AP

After Rich Cimini officially launched an Asomugha vigil on Thursday night, I stayed up as late as possible, wary of the fact that Friday likely will be the craziest day in league history.

The decision of the Texans to sign cornerback Johnathan Joseph triggered a flurry of speculation that Nnamdi was headed for New York, and so it was time to wait for the green-and-white smoke to come from the chimney.

Rosenthal and I agreed to pull the plug on Nnamdi watch at 2:00 a.m., and so I hit the hay with the ringer on the official PFT cell phone set to high.

But even on full blast it wasn’t enough to disrupt my NFL-induced coma 45 minutes later, when a source with direct knowledge of the situation said that in response to the notion that a deal is in place with the Jets:  “Not true.  Nothing is settled.”

And so we pick up where we left off, waiting for word on where Nnamdi will go.

The Niners are in the hunt, the Cowboys could be, and there’s still a chance he’ll decide to stay with the Raiders.

Permalink 30 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, New York Jets, Rumor Mill, San Francisco 49ers, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
30 Responses to “Nothing yet on Asomugha”
  1. 808raiderinparadise says: Jul 29, 2011 7:35 AM

raiiiiiiiiiiiiiiderrrrrrrrrsssssssssssssssssssss

2. rayvens says: Jul 29, 2011 7:43 AM

The Jets will have the two bests Corners in the league……Didnt the Bronco’s do this acouple yrs ago with Bly and Bailey..how did that work out??

3. darthobama says: Jul 29, 2011 7:47 AM

Houston should sign him too…

4. justinsam10 says: Jul 29, 2011 7:49 AM

hmmmm Nnamdi Asmougha to the Jets would be a great fit, Revis Island and the land of Asomugha on the other side, opposing quarterbacks would have a serious problem them, money-wise who’s gonna be greedier though, thats why the problem lies

Nnamdi to the Cowboys, back to the Raiders, with the 49ers or anywhere else is ideal, but it would be cool for him to end up with a young and upcoming corner on the other side or someone in their prime just like him but not quite as good so he can make up for it, Rodgers-Cromartie and Samuel in Philly sounds deadly, just like Cromartie and Revis last year, either way he’ll be paid to be great literal shutdown his side of the field at age 31 cornerback

5. Jason says: Jul 29, 2011 7:51 AM

Get him Jerry!

The Cowboys need him now like the 90′s Cowboys needed Deion Sanders!

6. torturedraiderfan says: Jul 29, 2011 7:53 AM

I can’t stand the thought on him signing with the Jets…..please, any team but the Jets.

7. phillyrick22 says: Jul 29, 2011 7:54 AM

please don’t go to the cowbitches! I rather he be a Jet! I’m not trying to have the best CB in the league go to the NFC East unless he’s with the Birds and that right there is a long shot!

8. skullraider says: Jul 29, 2011 7:59 AM

Go Raiders!!!

9. raiderinpa says: Jul 29, 2011 8:05 AM

Nnamdi goes nowhere, as I said all along!! Al Davis wont let his prize pupil get away!! Get your collective kleenex ready, New York!!

10. alldayvikings says: Jul 29, 2011 8:06 AM

Come to the vikes….

11. Matt-NC says: Jul 29, 2011 8:10 AM

He’s coming to play with Woodson.

12. kevinoc63 says: Jul 29, 2011 8:14 AM

I can’t believe that we are so starved for information that you can get away with reporting on what is not happening.

13. scudbot says: Jul 29, 2011 8:15 AM

Nnamdi stays on his side of the field. “Revis Island” is actually a misnomer – Revis roams all over. One of them will have to change for the other. Please let that sink in for a moment. Imagine it being played out on Twitter. Yes, please, Nnamdi to the Jets.

14. Exiled1 says: Jul 29, 2011 8:21 AM

Anywhere but the Jets. I’m not neccessarily a Jets hater but I’m getting there. Too much grandiloquence for me.

15. green41563 says: Jul 29, 2011 8:32 AM

rayvens says: Jul 29, 2011 7:43 AM

_____________________________________

Dre Bly?

Hahahahahaha!

16. jackblackshairyback says: Jul 29, 2011 8:39 AM

Cowboys cant sign him, they are over the cap for this year AND next year.

17. supashug says: Jul 29, 2011 8:43 AM

he is in Baltimore today

18. waxthat says: Jul 29, 2011 8:45 AM

Niners

19. Little Earthquake says: Jul 29, 2011 8:54 AM

He wants to play in Green Bay, but there’s only so much room there….

20. chazzgoodtimes says: Jul 29, 2011 9:03 AM

No chance Revis accepts being only the second highest paid corner in his own locker room. Do they really want to deal with another Revis hold-out in two years? Even if the Jets could come up with the money Nnambdi wants, it would be a bad idea long-term. Cowboys are a smokescreen- he’s going to SF or back to Oakland.

21. andyreidisfat says: Jul 29, 2011 9:06 AM

Umm yeah in over all production on the field and price he’s payed The best corner in the NFL already plays in the FC East for the Eagles. He’s just not a$$ humped by ESPN douches so you never hear that about him.

I wouldn’t sign Nnamdi. He cost to much for guy 31 year corner. No matter how good he is 31 is when skills decline. Its not worth the 15 mill per year for 4 years for a guy who may only play at that talent level for 1-2.

Maybe if i was an all in team like the Cowgirls or the Jets, but at the same time both those teams have so many holes signing Nnamdi stops them from fixxing other problem areas. Especially the jets who if they sign Nnamdi have no way to fix the pass rush. As we all know the greatest corners ever can’t stop average WR with no pass rush

22. blacktoothgrinn says: Jul 29, 2011 9:10 AM

He’s staying with the Raiders, they dropped Chris Johnson (CB) and Cooper Carlisle yesterday. Al ain’t making the same mistake he made with Woodson.

23. phillyahole says: Jul 29, 2011 9:12 AM

I know he’s a corner but can he play safety? Rod Woodson did it how awesomeuah would it be if the birds brought him in to play safety! I don’t know what’s going on with Nate Allen and Jarret looks good but he’s just a pup Our secondary would be disgusting!

24. souldogdave says: Jul 29, 2011 9:12 AM

No team has yet offered him what Al Davis paid him last year. If no-one clears at least 16 mil, he will stay in Oakland.The Jets were talking 12 mil.The Cowboys still could be trolling…

25. boobybluebland says: Jul 29, 2011 9:20 AM

I get the feeling he takes the money and skips across the bay to San Francisco.

26. sjuhawk says: Jul 29, 2011 9:25 AM

As a Jets fan I’m honestly torn. I want him, but rationally I think I would rather have Edwards AND Cromartie back. I think I’ll be indifferent when he decides. There’s definitely pros and cons to both, so I don’t think I’ll be upset if he signs elsewhere, but I definitely won’t be happy either. Weird.

27. green41563 says: Jul 29, 2011 9:36 AM

______________________________________

Get real. Asante Samuel is not a great corner; he’s a gambler. He’s got a lot of picks, yes, but he does it by taking risks that often blow up in his face.

28. green41563 says: Jul 29, 2011 9:37 AM

sjuhawk says: Jul 29, 2011 9:25 AM

_____________________________________

You don’t want Cro/Edwards. I like Edwards, but the fact is that the Jets already went to war with Cro/Edwards and lost. It’s time to try something different.

29. varaider says: Jul 29, 2011 9:42 AM

What a lot of you don’t know is that the Raiders were actually 35M UNDER the cap at the start of free agency, not the 14M over that was falsely reported … Why do you think it has been so quiet in Raider Land?

Only 2 viable CBs are left, Aso and Cromartie… They both have the same agent… Which is why the Jets were pressing for an answer last night, so they could keep Cromartie when Asp resigns with the Raiders… Ask has way too many ties to the Bay area, not to mention he is FROM California… NO WAY the Raiders sign Cromartie when they can just pay a couple million more and lock up Aso long term…

People are overlooking the Raiders in all of this, when in actuality they are in better position than ANY of the other candidates to sign him…

Al Davis loves the shock effect, mark my words, the Raiders will be the talk of the league by tonite as far as free agent signings… They will announced Gaither, Zach Miller, Goldson, Lutui, and Aso this weekend guaranteed…. Not to mention a legit #1 WR, maybe Moss, Floyd or T.O.

Trust and believe, all these BIG time free agents that are keeping quiet are in talks with the Silver and Black… Its beong kept quiet because that is the Raider way… The most secretive team in the league, hands down… Breaking the “news” without a deal in place is an automatic deal breaker for Al Davis… And no one wants to break a deal especially when Al Davis is might be cutting the check…

So keep pumping up the Jets, its only for fanfare and web hits… When reality sets in this weekend, Aso will be wearing the same colors he has ALWAYS worn…. SILVER AND BLACK!!!

GO RAIDERS!!!

30. youboettcha says: Jul 29, 2011 11:41 AM

You’re going to need another vacation pretty soon, if you’re logging 18 hour days all the time, and 7 days per week no less.