Osi Umenyiora officially a holdout

San Diego Chargers v New York Giants Getty Images

Osi Umenyiora is a no-show at Giants camp.

The Giants put Umenyiora on the reserve/did not report list today, the official designation for players who are holding out. That means Umenyiora is subject to fines of $30,000 a day until he reports.

Umenyiora’s decision is no surprise: He has grown increasingly unhappy with the seven-year, $42 million contract he signed in 2005, and we noted this week that he was expected to hold out.

Now he is holding out, and the question becomes whether the Giants trade him, whether he eventually reports without a new deal, or whether he and Giants G.M. Jerry Reese can follow owner John Mara’s advice and work things out man to man.

Permalink 20 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New York Giants, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors
20 Responses to “Osi Umenyiora officially a holdout”
  1. xstaticonradio says: Jul 29, 2011 8:22 PM

He doesn’t deserve much more than he’s already making

2. vikingdoode says: Jul 29, 2011 8:24 PM

Pig try being out of work. That will make you unhappy. 42 million. Shut up!

3. borisbulldog says: Jul 29, 2011 8:27 PM

‘scuse me Mr Osi, don’t like the 7 year long contract, shouldn’t have signed it!

4. jeepin08 says: Jul 29, 2011 8:31 PM

30,000 a day ? X 7 = 210,000. X 1 month would be about 840,000. He won’t last that long.

5. 7to10for6allday says: Jul 29, 2011 8:44 PM

I can see if he was making 500k but he’s crying about 42 million?? Shut up and play. Philly gets nnamdi and osi gets traded….. Bye bye big blue. Good luck lol

6. cruz1014 says: Jul 29, 2011 8:48 PM

As a huge Giants fan this makes me sad. 42 mil 7 year is 6 mil a year yea that’s not enough!! Seriously Osi get a grip did last years stats deserve a raise? He has a year left he’s just scared his value will go down before this contract is up. These players are so dam greedy it’s sickening! Take a walk Osi we got JPP ready to step up!

7. pittsburghsteelerz says: Jul 29, 2011 8:50 PM

This guy must be mentally ill….

6 million a year?

I thought he lost his starting job last year…

What, does he think he’ll get 10 million per year on the open market? Ha!

8. tdoggnutts says: Jul 29, 2011 8:52 PM

Pig try being out of work. That will make you unhappy. 42 million. Shut up!

——————————————————-

Agreed, and he’s not worth a big deal anyway

9. 7to10for6allday says: Jul 29, 2011 8:57 PM

He is a bum, only a matter of time before he gets traded. Lol and getting plax doesn’t seem all that great….. Wonder who’s sticking him when he plays Philly lmao!

10. emmac13 says: Jul 29, 2011 8:58 PM

Get him Browns.

11. pppath says: Jul 29, 2011 9:09 PM

I’m as pro union as they come. Hell, I was hoping the Players would vote down the CBA and let the anti-trust lawsuit go foreward.

However, when you sign a contract you MUST abide by it (both sides). Someone hold a gun to your head? If not, you signed it, you abide by it.

There should be no allowance for holding out because you don’t like a contract that you signed.

12. nygdefenserules says: Jul 29, 2011 9:14 PM

Dear Osi,

Stop your bitchin! You’re not half the player Michael Strahan was….or Justin Tuck is…..or Jason Pierre-Paul will be! You will not get 6 mill a year in this market.

Giants – let him hold out. When he comes back, collect his fines, then cut him!!

13. bjones036 says: Jul 29, 2011 9:26 PM

Browns need em after messing around not getting edwards

14. daburgher says: Jul 29, 2011 10:02 PM

Osi is the only one who thinks he’s that good. me me me me me me me… bitch

15. raylewis52 says: Jul 29, 2011 10:15 PM

3 words: PURPLE AND BLACK.

Make it happen Ozzie.

16. fatelvis77 says: Jul 29, 2011 10:25 PM

Osi had a good year last year, but stunk the year before and was benched. The thinking may have been he was dogging it in 2009. So he collected his $6,000,000 in ’09 for doing nothing. He can be a terror on the outside pass rush (6 sacks in one game vs the Eagles) but last year was the first time I ever saw him stop the run. If he’s discontented he won’t play hard, so the Giants are either going to have to give him a raise or trade him. I’d think a lot of teams would want him.

17. fmwarner says: Jul 29, 2011 10:34 PM

If he thinks he holds the cards when the Giants have Tuck, Pierre-Paul and Kiwanuka lined up, he’s nuts. He’s a very good player, but with the reduced cap, very good players have been cut with that salary figure, let alone get a bigger deal.

18. nygdefenserules says: Jul 29, 2011 10:42 PM

fatelvis77 says:
    Jul 29, 2011 10:25 PM

___________________________________

I love the G-Men, but his 6-sacks was a tainted stat – it was against a decimated Eagles O-line…and he was lining up against reserve Winston Justice. Plus, he had Strahan on the other side drawing double coverage.

He doesn’t deserve the cash for his lack of consistency. Send him to St. Louis – reunite with Spags – and line him up opposite Chris Long. Give us a 2nd. and a conditional 4th in 2013 (can move up with incentives.

19. marv80 says: Jul 29, 2011 10:42 PM

In the words of Latrell Sprewell I need 50 million to feed my kids 42 million aint enough? c’mon dude ill bust my ass for 42 thousand

20. nikotoscani says: Jul 29, 2011 11:10 PM