Ty Warren, Nick Kaczur among Patriots cuts

T. Warren Getty Images

One of the most underrated players of the Bill Belichick era in New England was let go by the team Friday in a somewhat surprising move.

Defensive end Ty Warren was among the list of Patriots cuts on Friday.  Tackle Nick Kaczur and tight end Alge Crumpler were two other key pieces to their 2010 team that got the boot.

We only say it was “somewhat” surprising because Warren hasn’t been able to stay healthy in recent years and had a sizable contract. The acquisition of Albert Haynesworth and a young group of defensive linemen made the move possible.

It wouldn’t shock us if Warren was brought back at a lower price.

Kaczur has started 62 games for the Patriots, but missed all of last season.  His release could be a sign that Matt Light’s expected re-signing is on the way.

Also officially cut on Friday: Tully Banta-Cain, Tony Carter, Marcus Stroud and rookie free agent Ryan Coulson.  The veteran moves were previously reported.

The team also officially announced the acquisition of Chad Ochocinco.

UPDATE: Warren is healthy, but failed his conditioning test.  He wants to play for the Cowboys, according to Charean Williams of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.

Here was a statement from Warren to the Boston Herald:

“I appreciate the Pats through the years. They’re doing some things defensively and choose to go in a different direction. I thank the Krafts for the opportunity and drafting me in 2003. It was a pleasure. I will be moving on to bigger and better things. We are sorting out and will look forward to wearing a contending NFL team jersey this fall.”

Permalink 43 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New England Patriots, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors
43 Responses to “Ty Warren, Nick Kaczur among Patriots cuts”
  1. billinva says: Jul 29, 2011 3:31 PM

That blows about Warren and Crumpler.

Kaczur I could care less about.

2. expatpatfan says: Jul 29, 2011 3:35 PM

Man, I hope they bring Warren back.

3. mike83ri says: Jul 29, 2011 3:36 PM

Ty Warren’s cut only saves the team about $200,000 in cap room. He told a reporter that he was told the Pats wanted to go in a different direction, so it doesn’t look like they want to bring him back cheaper. I don’t get it…

4. sandiegobuffalo says: Jul 29, 2011 3:36 PM

Patriots are falling apart. They used to not rely on washed up veterans to succeed…it was all hard working lunch pale guys who overachieved.
    Karma continues to tear apart what was once a pretty good team that got very lucky many times…It is over though. Jets will deliver the final death blow to this team this season….

5. coleman121280 says: Jul 29, 2011 3:37 PM

Did they cut the camera guy’s who film the other team yet?..

Nope.

6. drgfri says: Jul 29, 2011 3:39 PM

Thank you Nick, Alge, and Ty for your years of service. The fans are appreciative!

7. JackLeone says: Jul 29, 2011 3:40 PM

“The team also officially announced the acquisition of Chad Ochocinco.”

————————————————

The goes his twitter account until the offseason…

8. pfii63 says: Jul 29, 2011 3:41 PM

Warren’s cut saves $600k, not $200k.

He will not be back at a lower price – he reported being told by the team that they were “moving in a different direction.” Pats fans…brace yourself, Leigh Bodden may be next.

sandiegobuffalo… falling apart? Really?They got “lucky”? That sounds like wishful thinking and jealousy on your part. Perhaps you should look at the roster before shooting off. This move shows that Warren is not ready to play and the Pats are moving on. It is what it is.

9. knucklebucket says: Jul 29, 2011 3:43 PM

I owuld be amazed if they don’t re-sign Warren at a lower cost. If not, I’m bummed…

10. benh999 says: Jul 29, 2011 3:46 PM

Warren was underrated four years ago. Now he is quite overrated.

11. homelanddefense says: Jul 29, 2011 3:46 PM

SO how was Kaczur a key piece to the 2010 team when he missed the entire season??????

Im surprised by Warren, they arent saving much on the cap from what I have read. I guess he told a reporter they are “going a different direction defensively”.

12. rc33 says: Jul 29, 2011 3:46 PM

coleman121280 says: Jul 29, 2011 3:37 PM

Did they cut the camera guy’s who film the other team yet?..

————————————————————-

Gee, this is clever.

13. pfii63 says: Jul 29, 2011 3:47 PM

Statement from Warren:

“I appreciate the Pats through the years,” Warren told the Herald. “They’re doing some things defensively and choose to go in a different direction. I thank the Krafts for the opportunity and drafting me in 2003. It was a pleasure. I will be moving on to bigger and better things. We are sorting out and will look forward to wearing a contending NFL team jersey this fall.”

14. thegonz13 says: Jul 29, 2011 3:51 PM

They cut Warren but trade for Haynesworthless…

I don’t get it!

15. chazzgoodtimes says: Jul 29, 2011 3:52 PM

Surprised about Warren. At times I thought he actually out-played Seymour on that D-Line. Doubt he’ll be back at a lower price. Hopefully this move is an indicator that Haynesworth is in shape and ready to contribute.

@sandiegobuffalo.. seriously? Do you even read what you write? The 2001-2004 team was mainly built on a combination of young players and ‘washed up’ veterans. Roman Pfifer, Bryan Cox, Mike Vrabel, Corey Dillon, Rodney Harrison, Ted Washington…. You’ve wasted your time and ours here today. Put your head down on your desk and go to sleep.

16. jdandcoke says: Jul 29, 2011 3:55 PM

albert haynesworth is a grade A clown, but why is everyone seeming to forget that when he wants to be, he is one of the most dominating inside d-lineman in football. yes, of course he may continue to be a jackazz, but if he decides to play his game the pats just added an all-world player to their roster.

jets win one big game and suddenly the pats are dead? lol. seriously, i dont think the pats are going anywhere anytime soon.

17. ajc85 says: Jul 29, 2011 3:57 PM

don’t worry Pats fans you have Haynesworth now. i mean don’t you guys remember that smart play he made on MNF when he tried to trip Michael Vick by planking during a play? he is a revolutionary.

18. drunkendegenerate says: Jul 29, 2011 4:00 PM

Ty Warren’s a beast and must not be completely healthy. If he can get healthy soon, I’d love for the Jets to add him.

19. pfii63 says: Jul 29, 2011 4:00 PM

Warren did not pass the conditioning test, according to Tom Curren.

jdandcoke – I agree… if anything it will be the Jets taking a step back. Even signing another marquis corner, they have too many holes – inability to stop the run and lack of offensive explosiveness – to content with the Patriots this season.

20. dd10er says: Jul 29, 2011 4:02 PM

This could be a sign that BB is exploring a trade possibly for Osi Umineyora. It has been noted that he did not attend Giants training camp to take his physical. May be a long shot but with the transactions BB made yesterday nothing is out of the question

21. 2mannings1cup says: Jul 29, 2011 4:03 PM

Cat-Nads, Warren is going to the Jets FOR SURE.

22. patsandsox says: Jul 29, 2011 4:03 PM

I didnt see the Warren Or Crumpler moves coming. I think Ty may be hurt worse than we know about.

I think some of these guys come back at the vet minimum later when healthy.

Kaczur I was expecting to see go bye bye. I read on the Globes site that the Matt Light deal is almost done.

I dont see anything to lose with Albert. If he acts up hes gone, all that is wasted is 5th rounder in 2013. I guess BB is the only with a pair big enough to take the gamble.

23. CKL says: Jul 29, 2011 4:04 PM

TY-:( Best of luck to him.
    Crump-Get it, but :( He was HUGE literally and figuratively last season.
    Mr Oxy??-YESSSSSSSS!

24. thenyolive says: Jul 29, 2011 4:05 PM

Making room for Light, Johnson, Haynesworth signings or going after Osi? Bummer about Warren, hope Wright stays healthy and young guys are ready.

25. bison4me says: Jul 29, 2011 4:11 PM

The million dollar question is, did Fatty Evil pass his conditioning test?

26. pfii63 says: Jul 29, 2011 4:14 PM

Haynesworth can’t take his test until August 4th.

Osi may be next. :-)

27. iamthorny says: Jul 29, 2011 4:19 PM

Ty Warren didn’t pass the conditioning test and was cut?

Let’s see the old double standard come into play when old spike stomper can’t pass his.

Will they just waive Albert when he fails his test far worse than Warren failed his?

Oh, and I’m sure just knowing the Patriots that there’ll be a tape of old Albert flunking his conditioning test out there somewhere at Pats HQ.

28. stergersburgernips says: Jul 29, 2011 4:27 PM

“Tackle Nick Kaczur and tight end Alge Crumpler were two other key pieces to their 2010 team that got the boot.”

“Kaczur has started 62 games for the Patriots, but missed all of last season.”

Hmmmmmmmm

29. bozosforall says: Jul 29, 2011 4:39 PM

CKL says:
    Jul 29, 2011 4:04 PM
    TY-:( Best of luck to him.
    Crump-Get it, but He was HUGE literally and figuratively last season.
    Mr Oxy??-YESSSSSSSS!

__
    Mr Oxy? Funny that a couple of short years ago, you New England hypocrites were defending him tooth and nail. Keep up the lame work, Pats fans.

30. eric02038 says: Jul 29, 2011 4:41 PM

Warren has wanted out of N.E. for a while now.
    Source…his neighbor!

Bring crumpler back

31. pfank11 says: Jul 29, 2011 4:47 PM

There is still some question about how much money the Pats will save on Warren’s contract. He has some significant “dead money” that severely limits what the Pats can save, hence the 200,000-600,000 number that has been speculated on. However there are other reports that the dead money will disappear the first day of the League year and the pats WILL save close to $3MM

Bottom line:: Its all just speculation. No one really knows right now. All that’s clear that’s its unlikely that Ty will be back, and that’s sad. However I have hopes that Alge will be back at a more reasonable price.

I thing the Pats have plenty of talent at TE with Gronk and Hernandez, plus the rookie Smith, but its a every young group and I think would benefit from a consummate pro like Crumpler

32. patsfiend says: Jul 29, 2011 5:03 PM

They don’t need to carry 4 TE’s. Maybe Crumpler can come back as a coach.

Warren has been good over the years, when on the field. I’m sure they know more than we do, in this one limited case. Either he’s not healthy, they are clearing for another big signing, or he’s coming back for less.

Only Bill knows. And yes, I trust in Bill. Always. All haters (even Jet’s fans)… you’d love to have him.

33. Ralphie says: Jul 29, 2011 5:13 PM

@iamthorny says:
    Jul 29, 2011 4:19 PM
    “Ty Warren didn’t pass the conditioning test and was cut?”
    __________________________

Where does it say the Pat’s cut him because he failed the conditioning test? The reports say everyone’s headed “in a different direction”.

34. goldrush94 says: Jul 29, 2011 5:23 PM

Uh… sorry to break the new to ya, but wanting to play for the Cowboys is NOT moving onto bigger better things buddy. You’re just moving on, but not to bigger better things.

35. CKL says: Jul 29, 2011 5:58 PM

bozosforall says:
    Jul 29, 2011 4:39 PM
    CKL says:
    Jul 29, 2011 4:04 PM
    TY-:( Best of luck to him.
    Crump-Get it, but He was HUGE literally and figuratively last season.
    Mr Oxy??-YESSSSSSSS!

__
    _________________________________
    I never, ever defended him. I have called him that on the Pats board I go to since he was caught with possession with intent and ratted out his dealer years ago.

Since you obviously don’t have any idea what I have and haven’t done before you called me out, you really don’t have the right to here either.
    You’re one of the same people still whining about cameragate though so I’m not surprised you continue to display your ignorance.

Have a nice day. You’re obviously a miserable and bitter human being so I feel sorry for you and hope your life gets better soon. :)

36. universalcynic says: Jul 29, 2011 6:44 PM

Somebody alert the Crumpler family as he was just called a “key player” on last year’s Pats team. They’d appreciate the hyperbole / kind words.

37. bcgreg says: Jul 29, 2011 6:47 PM

@ sandiegobuffalo

Used to not rely on washed up veterans?

in 2001 the Pats’ 1st SB team, BB added an old Anthony Pleasant, Roman Pfifer, Torrance Small, Bert Emanuel, Bryan Cox, and Terrell Buckley to name SIX aging veterans!

In 2002, the Pats added Victor Green to name another one.

In 2003, their 2nd SB run, they added Rodney Harrison, Ted Washington, Tyrone Poole, JJ Stokes and Larry Centers to name FIVE more!

In 2004, the 3rd SB run, they added Corey Dillon and Keith Traylor to name two more!

In 2005, they added Tim Dwight, Doug Flutie, Chad Brown, Duane Starks, and Chad Scott to name FIVE more.

In 2006, they added Artrell Hawkins, Junior Seau, Ray Mickens, and Vinny Testeverde to name FOUR more.

In 2007, they added Randy Moss, Kyle Brady, and Adalius Thomas for three more.

In 2008, they added LaMont Jordan and Deltha O’Neal to name two more.

In 2009, they added Fred Taylor and Shawn Springs to name two more.

In 2010, they added Alge Crumpler, Gerard Warren, and brought back Deion Branch.

All of these players were in their 30s when acquired and most of them were considered busts, washed up, or not having much left. I’m not saying they were all great, but the Pats MOST DEFINITELY have a history in adding aging veterans and perceived malcontents to their team.

38. ytsejamer1 says: Jul 29, 2011 8:07 PM

expatpatfan says: Jul 29, 2011 3:35 PM

Man, I hope they bring Warren back.
    ——————–

They will…Gerard Warren. Which would make sense…he played pretty well against the run which was really Ty Warren’s strength.

I’m not sure I understand it, but BB and his staff think on a different level from all of us football nitwits, insiders, etc. There is a method to his madness.

39. ytsejamer1 says: Jul 29, 2011 8:09 PM

good post by bcgreg…but damn. 2005 and 2006 was Pioli’s worst as defacto GM. I am surprised the guy got a job after those horseapple FA signings. 2008 was awful too, but that’s on BB alone.

Duane Starks…snicker…

40. backindasaddle says: Jul 29, 2011 10:09 PM

My intuition (and that’s all it is) is that Kaczur is damaged goods. I think his back may be all screwed up and he won’t be the player he was. He also had a big cap number and I think Dan Connolly can fill the guard position vacated by Steven Neal quite well until Marcus Cannon gets up to speed. At left guard, Mankins is back. At tackle, it looks like Matt Light will be back and Sebastian Volmer is a lock for the other side. Once Solder gets up to speed he’ll be the left tackle for the next 10+ years and Volmer will be the right tackle for the foreseeable future. In a nutshell, I think Kaczur is damaged goods, has a big cap number and is expendable. It is what it is.

Ty Warren was a beast…..for one year. I remember him being better than Seymoor that year. I think it was his 3rd year. Since then, he never reached that level again and was injury prone. I liked him and was always waiting for him to be healthy and reach that dominant level again. It never happened and I think the Pats management have more insight into his current condition than any of us couch-coaches. He missed all last season with a hip injury and had surgery on it. Hip injuries usually don’t end up too well.

Crumpler was a great addition to the Pats. He is a tremendous leader, great blocker and reliable target. He was invaluable as a mentor to the young TEs and the team voted him a captain in his 1st year. I would love to see him come back but fact is there’s a log jam at TE right now and they have some great young talent there. His contributions to the team were very important last year. He’s a super leader and locker room guy. I hope they can find a way to keep him, but I’m afraid it’s not going to happen. He served the team very very well but time marches on.

41. bcgreg says: Jul 29, 2011 11:06 PM

@ ytsejamer1

Again, not saying they were great or even good signings. I was just disproving sandiegobuffalo’s comment that the Pats never relied on aging vets to build their teams. In fact, they seem to add a few every year.

Duane Starks was AWFUL!

And actually, Hawkins and Seau were big parts on that 2006 team that made it to the AFC championship game.

42. bcgreg says: Jul 30, 2011 7:08 PM

Just to be thorough, I missed one name that I heard mentioned in a discussion about how well Ocho will do in NE.

In 2009, the Patriots also added…Joey Galloway!

(The discussion was will Ocho produce like Moss or like Galloway.)

43. macjacmccoy says: Jul 30, 2011 11:43 PM

pfii63 says:
    Jul 29, 2011 4:14 PM
    Haynesworth can’t take his test until August 4th.

Osi may be next.

Nah players who were traded can participate right away. Its guys who get new contracts who cant play to the 4th or when the cba is finished what ever comes first.