Bengals bring Nate Clements back to Ohio

clements_0728a_53658 Getty Images

Cornerback Nate Clements, a Shaker Heights, Ohio native who played college football with the Buckeyes, has returned to his home state after being dumped by the 49ers.

Clements, per multiple reports, has agreed to terms with the Bengals.

He fills the void created by the departure of Johnathan Joseph to the Texans.  On Friday, defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer sounded off about the loss of Joseph, and Zimmer openly wondered where a replacement would be found.

Clements was the crown jewel of the 2007 free-agent class, signing an eight-year, $80 million deal that was pushed to a 10-year average with a funny-money final season.  In the end, Clements played out only half of the contract.

He’ll turn 32 during the season, and he’s a step down from Joseph.  But he fills a need for the Bengals, probably at a bargain price.

A 10-year veteran, Clements spent six seasons in Buffalo before signing with the 49ers.

Permalink 43 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cincinnati Bengals, Rumor Mill, San Francisco 49ers, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
43 Responses to “Bengals bring Nate Clements back to Ohio”
  1. xstaticonradio says: Jul 30, 2011 11:06 PM

He’s terrible, he’ll fit right in with the rest of the team

2. everydayimfumbilin says: Jul 30, 2011 11:09 PM

haha have fun getting beat deap bengals

3. tjacks7 says: Jul 30, 2011 11:09 PM

A step down? Really? that must be the worlds largest step.

4. mad5555 says: Jul 30, 2011 11:11 PM

slow clap for the team everyone feels sorry for. …
    Not exactly Namdi signing, HUH?

5. relaunche says: Jul 30, 2011 11:12 PM

Does Nate have a record or did I miss something?

6. painterdude says: Jul 30, 2011 11:13 PM

He needs a IQ test or a head examination with that physical.

7. swcoach says: Jul 30, 2011 11:13 PM

I like the move… even though he is a step down I believe he can be a decent starter.

I also like seeing Buckeyes come back to Ohio.

8. time2speakup says: Jul 30, 2011 11:14 PM

First off, I am glad Nate found a home – and at Home of all things. Good for him. Then I wondered how he managed, since he can no longer play corner effectively. We saw game in and game out here in North Cal of him chasing receivers down the field, usually from 2-3 step behind. Sorry – but that’s fact. He would make a monster Safety ’cause Dude can bring the lumber. Good luck, Nate!

9. mikebrownistheworstownerinprosports says: Jul 30, 2011 11:24 PM

I remember Clements being a beast with the Bills. Didn’t watch him much with S.F. Can you 49ers fans fill us in? Does he have anything left? Was he your # 1 corner last season?

10. eaglesnoles05 says: Jul 30, 2011 11:26 PM

This is a good move, but but as good as letting joseph go was bad.

11. plum13sec says: Jul 30, 2011 11:29 PM

I guess Mike Zimmer found his guy

12. shawnlenney says: Jul 30, 2011 11:32 PM

First time replying on this site after years if reading! First, I realize my team is awful….but the Bengals are the team I grew up with so I am stuck with them. No band wagon fan here! Obviously I am upset that Joseph left but this is a decent signing after one of the worst off seasons in Bengals history….would be nice if the article was somewhat positive!

13. xstaticonradio says: Jul 30, 2011 11:36 PM

mikebrownistheworstownerinprosports says: Jul 30, 2011 11:24 PM

——————————————

He gave up a larger percentage of completions than any other corner in the league.

14. digirootune says: Jul 30, 2011 11:42 PM

Football purgatory

15. msclemons67 says: Jul 30, 2011 11:44 PM

Nate Clements is a solid CB. He wasn’t worth the ridiculous money the 49ers threw at him but that isn’t his fault.

He’s definitely a step down from Joseph but on the plus side he doesn’t miss 2-4 games a year due to injury. The only time he missed was after Simpletary had him return punts.

16. woodsidegil says: Jul 30, 2011 11:45 PM

To answer your question about Nate Clements from a 49er fan I’d say he’s extremely strong against the run but weak in pass coverage. He’s really slowed down and got beaten numerous times last couple of years.

He should be converted to a safety where he’d excel but I don’t think he wants to make the move, that and his huge salary is why the 9ers cut him.

17. mistakenny49 says: Jul 30, 2011 11:48 PM

Imma ninErs fan and at first i like the signing but after the last few years he has consistantly played worse , he hits hard and is good at run stopping but as a cover man he gambles to much which usually leads to giving up a big td , i think hed be a great safety but too late to see and we let him go n dont have anyone to fill the spot damn eagles !!! Lol

18. digirootune says: Jul 30, 2011 11:48 PM

shawnlenney says: Jul 30, 2011 11:32 PM

—————————
    Feel your pain, man. Skins fan here, born n raised. We rag each other hardcore on this site, but we all respect the diehards…you pull for your squad no matter what. There’s always a team or two each season that shocks the world. Football is awesome, and that’s why it’s got us hooked…go Bengals, HAIL Skins.

19. mikebrownstepdown says: Jul 31, 2011 12:00 AM

Doesn’t surprise me one bit, mike brown always signs players that are past their prime for a discount price. Until he starts spending money on young talent we will continue to follow the same path of losing seasons and pissed off fans. Vegas has Cincinnati surprisingly winning 7 games, I’m taking the under on that!

20. shawnlenney says: Jul 31, 2011 12:01 AM

________________
    Thanks! After this week I needed the encouragement!!!!

21. peanutbutter&jelly says: Jul 31, 2011 12:13 AM

i feel the pain for all you bengal fans out there i have had my share of it as a long time fin fan.i hope for you guys and the nfl that your owner does the right thing one day and either sell the team or just step aside and let a real football person run the show.

22. merc13 says: Jul 31, 2011 12:18 AM

They had to sign someone, who else could they have gotten at this point, I don’t think the bengals are that bad off, there offense is young and they got talented players. Let’s see how Dalton does. I’m not by any means a Bengal fan but all there fans bash the team on here. I know they aren’t playoff bound but who knows what could happen a couple years from now.

23. cincybert says: Jul 31, 2011 12:40 AM

I am a Bengals fan and I like the signing. I am sure at 31 Nate Clements has lost a step from his days in Buffalo (I really didn’t see him much with the Niners) but if he still hits, then he will fit Zimmer’s defense fine. One thing to keep in mind is that Clements is the #2 CB for the Bengals….Leon Hall will cover the other team’s top WR week in and week out as he has done for the last 3 years. JJoe was a solid corner and will be a good addition to the Texans but it will be interesting to see what Joseph does lining up against other teams top WRs on a weekly basis. I agree with shawnlenney…this should be a positive story for the Bengals. There are things to bash the organization for, but this signing isn’t one of them.

24. rajbais says: Jul 31, 2011 12:49 AM

Just start Pacman when he’s healthy!!!

25. dbellina says: Jul 31, 2011 12:51 AM

What’s round on each end and hi in the middle?

26. bills87 says: Jul 31, 2011 1:04 AM

Nate was the man when he played in Buffalo.

27. hitit49 says: Jul 31, 2011 1:08 AM

49er coaches think he would make a decent nickel back played close to the line on a slot receiver. As for safety, they say he takes bad angles and can’t run making him a liability. Plenty of info. on the 49er web zone

28. abungalfan says: Jul 31, 2011 1:26 AM

I love how people constantly have to rag on we Bengal fans and how bad our team sucks. Look we know. Paul Brown was a horrible owner and coach. He constantly looked for a big name in small places to make himself look like a genius. He refused to pay scouts, players, hell anyone that wasn’t him. Not to mention he got the boot from Cleveland and he tried so hard to make the Bengals look like them look like Cleveland it wasn’t even funny. He once said, “Pay just enough to keep the fans coming back but don’t win anything big because then you are expected to pay a lot to perform all the time.” And his p.o.s. Son has lived by that. Oh, and his daughter will take over soon and follow in their footsteps. A wise man once told me that there were three d’s to being a Bengal fan. DRAFT, DREAM AND DISAPPOINT!!!! It has held true.

29. riverhorsey says: Jul 31, 2011 1:31 AM

Sorry Nate

30. tinbender2000 says: Jul 31, 2011 2:20 AM

I don’t feel too sorry for you Bengal and Skins fans. I root for the Raiders, that’s where I’m from. I follow the Seahawks, they’re the closest team. The Raiders look lost after making good moves last year and the Seahawks? I just shake my head :(

31. abungalfan says: Jul 31, 2011 2:58 AM

Tinbender2000. The Bengals are the team wither the longest running team without a playoff win! And we have MIKE “IM A PENNY PINCHING DIRT BAG” BROWN as an owner.

32. billmead1976 says: Jul 31, 2011 3:01 AM

Well good for Nate Clements – he can end his career in his home state. Solid athlete and a class guy – doesn’t get in trouble and contributes (most of the time). Too bad age is catching up with him.

Doesn’t have much of a police/trouble record so he might not fit in CinCin.

He’ll go through training camp with Gradkowski and Jordan Palmer throwing directly to him. He might get a false sense of security.

33. cosanostra71 says: Jul 31, 2011 4:06 AM

I had high hopes for this guy when he came in to the Niners. He played well for a bit and was actually a reason why our defense was solid for a while. Then he got a big head at the same time his physical skills declined. Last year he was the sole reason we lost to Atlanta. But nonetheless, I wish him well. He is not the elite corner he once was but he’s still talented and at the right price I would have welcomed him back to San Fran.

34. 4d9erdynasty49 says: Jul 31, 2011 7:32 AM

He was are number 1 corner but we were ranked 24th in pass defense last year. He was paired up with shawntae spencer. He can still tackle for sure but his covering skills have declined. Give him a good pump fake and he’ll bite.

35. commishwsuffl says: Jul 31, 2011 8:54 AM

back to the good old days of signing aging veterans whose reputation now exceeds their skills…

36. bonniebengal says: Jul 31, 2011 9:33 AM

What Mike Brown did here was a cash grab. He let Chad and Joseph and Palmer leave. He didn’t sign any big name players. He is $49 million under the cap. There are no individual team requirements to spend to the floor until 2013. He’s hoarding cash. It appears he isn’t going to do much for the team or the players for the next two years. In 2013, he’ll have hoarded enough cash to spend to the floor, and maybe then he’ll sell. I HOPE SO!!

37. bus19driver says: Jul 31, 2011 10:41 AM

As a lifelong Bengals fan I’m glad they picked up Nate Clements. My question is why is he their #2 corner? He would been an excellant corner to have behind Hall and Joseph. That is if mike brown would have did the right thing and used some of the $34 million in cap room, the Bengals have, to keep Joseph! It’s usually game 3 before we’re saying wait til next year. I know the season hasn’t started yet but with the moves the Bengals have made I think its already safe to say wait til next year!

38. mvb714 says: Jul 31, 2011 10:46 AM

You guys are always so critical of the Bengals…. They lost Joseph (the Texans overpaid for a good not great player) and so they went out and signed the best available corner on the market. They lost some speed in the secondary but I think it was a solid move under the circumstances.

39. marcsasharc says: Jul 31, 2011 12:17 PM

he is definitely not the best CB on the market. his stats say he was the worst. and from watching him play, its not hard to tell. he was the weakest link on the SF defense and im not exaggerating. top 5 free agent signing bust of all time. the dude gets beat, and beat, and beat again. he never saw a pump fake that didnt take him out of his spikes.

sorry Cincy.

40. marcsasharc says: Jul 31, 2011 12:22 PM

Leon Hall wont line up against opposing teams #1 WR. he will line up at his position and cover whoever is there. theres not many CBs who follow a WR around the field, and Hall isnt 1 of them.

41. ninerdynasty says: Jul 31, 2011 1:28 PM

AFC north teams… all u have to do is make him bite on the slant and go deep instead.. is a for sure TD!

42. theroc5156 says: Jul 31, 2011 4:40 PM

Mike Brown’s M.O. is to get rid of solid free-agents and replace them with cheaper, ex-Ohio State players to make the locals happy.

43. marcsasharc says: Jul 31, 2011 6:26 PM

im seriously not hating on him. he has been the worst starting CB statistically in the league the last 3 years. no bias, real talk.