Hines Ward could be out a while with thumb injury

Hines Ward, Kim Johnson AP

That thumb surgery which put Steelers wideout Hines Ward on the PUP list to start camp could keep him on the sideline a while.

“The proper time of recovering from a thumb injury, I think I am a week or two away from that,” Ward said via the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.

Folks have expected Ward to start rapidly declining before and it hasn’t happened, so we doubt this injury will be a major problem.  Being away from football activities so long might be more problematic.

Ward also spoke Friday about his DUI arrest, essentially saying he wouldn’t talk.

“I’m just leaving it in my attorney’s hands,” Ward said. “It was an unfortunate incident and like I said, I’m going to get my day in court.”

While we’re talking Steelers camp, it appears that Jonathan Scott is set to be the team’s starting left tackle, with Willie Colon on the right side. Both players were recently re-signed.
Permalink 36 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
36 Responses to “Hines Ward could be out a while with thumb injury”
  1. flakazoid says: Jul 30, 2011 9:36 AM

As long as he’s back for week one to torture Ed Reed. Hines is so far into Reed’s head he spends the whole game with one eye looking out for him. Check the stats, Reed never shows up against the Steelers.

2. kremis says: Jul 30, 2011 9:37 AM

It was reported that Hines Wards thumb injury occurred while trying to twist off a cap from a bottle of Jack Daniels

3. seneca1ss says: Jul 30, 2011 9:45 AM

opening too many beer bottles with your bare hands??

4. ravenator says: Jul 30, 2011 9:51 AM

…nice

5. ginojohn says: Jul 30, 2011 9:55 AM

was wondering where hines injured his thumb??

6. frye21 says: Jul 30, 2011 9:55 AM

Welcome back Plex

7. aintsfan says: Jul 30, 2011 10:01 AM

Did he get it caught in a beer bottle?

8. gdeli says: Jul 30, 2011 10:02 AM

Of course he doesn’t want to talk about it. He feels shame over it. Just wants it “to go away”. Gotta face your issues dude. Did he hurt the thumb driving too? ha

9. joelvis72 says: Jul 30, 2011 10:05 AM

What a nice smile.

10. billinva says: Jul 30, 2011 10:06 AM

I’m sure he’ll whine hard about it.

11. dbellina says: Jul 30, 2011 10:11 AM

Good thing you don’t need a thumb to dance.

12. greglloydrules says: Jul 30, 2011 10:16 AM

Did he get it caught in a beer bottle or hurt it by opening a bottle of Jack Daniels….these jokes are lame. I love the haters, never anything smart to say

13. eaglesfootballfan says: Jul 30, 2011 10:18 AM

He better be ready for the Week 1 matchup against the Ravens. Ed Reed vs Hines Ward.

14. ytsejamer1 says: Jul 30, 2011 10:21 AM

Well, I’d say that opens a good possibility for Plaxico to return to steel town.

15. mattforbid says: Jul 30, 2011 10:31 AM

adam shefter reported the thumb was injured while putting on a pair of rainbow suspenders while on DWTS.

16. tbonecostanza says: Jul 30, 2011 10:49 AM

Did they press too hard on this thumb during the fingerprinting?

17. steelerssmack4u says: Jul 30, 2011 10:50 AM

Should have had surgery instead of being a “DUI DISCO DUCK”

18. steelcurtainn says: Jul 30, 2011 10:55 AM

That terrible towel in that ladies hand looks just fine too me. Way to Recruit Hines. You’ll be back on the field in no time catching Td’s.

19. kmurph1226 says: Jul 30, 2011 11:05 AM

Does Rex Ryan only specialize in feet or could he switch to hands?

20. enders9 says: Jul 30, 2011 11:10 AM

It’s funny how everyone says Hines Ward hasn’t declined, but then everyone says that Chad Ochocinco HAS declined. Yet…. who had the better season last year? Chad.

And Chad did so with:

A. Carson Palolmer at QB
    B. Playing in less games
    C. Playing for the Bengals
    D. Having Bratkowski as OC, and Marvin Lewis as head coach

Despite all the handicaps against him, he still did better than Ward.

21. flakazoid says: Jul 30, 2011 11:32 AM

enders9 says:Jul 30, 2011 11:10 AM

—————————————————–

Yeah, a bunch of 12 yard outs between the 30s…then nothing.

The minute Ochostinko catches the ball, down he goes. No broken tackles, no YAC…no heart.

Hines is a warrior. He goes over the middle. He breaks tackles. When’s the last time you saw Hines Ward stopped inside the 5 yard line…

22. lilmidas says: Jul 30, 2011 11:37 AM

hines went to the super bowl. its easy to pile up garbage stats when your always playing from behind.

23. edgarpoe2 says: Jul 30, 2011 11:55 AM

So, if the Ravens beat the Steelers on opening day, will Steelers fans use this as an excuse?

24. hobartbaker says: Jul 30, 2011 12:08 PM

Hines will tell the judge he had to drive because he couldn’t hitchhike properly at the time of the incident.

25. hobartbaker says: Jul 30, 2011 12:10 PM

Lady is saying “Eeeew this rag smells horrible. It’s the color of urine with some dark stains on it!”.

26. hobartbaker says: Jul 30, 2011 12:11 PM

That’s the expression on my face too, when I have to carry a dirty diaper to the trash bin.

27. Deb says: Jul 30, 2011 12:12 PM

Cheering a player injury, ravenator? Nah, a classy guy like you would never go on another team’s threads to do anything like that :roll:

28. bluefan204 says: Jul 30, 2011 12:16 PM

Better get that thumb fixed. When you lose your license for a DUI, you kinda need it if you have to hitch hike to work

29. Deb says: Jul 30, 2011 12:17 PM

Once the thumb heals, the dancing probably has Hines in better overall physical shape than most guys on the team. That’s a grueling workout. And being away from football isn’t as critical for a longtime vet as for younger players.

30. enders9 says: Jul 30, 2011 12:54 PM

lilmidas says: Jul 30, 2011 11:37 AM

——————————————

Well it sure didn’t take long for some idiot to bring up the superbowl argument.

31. enders9 says: Jul 30, 2011 1:03 PM

flakazoid says: Jul 30, 2011 11:32 AM

enders9 says:Jul 30, 2011 11:10 AM

—————————————————–

Yeah, a bunch of 12 yard outs between the 30s…then nothing.

—————————————————

Sounds like a bunch of excuses…. from a person who probably didn’t even watch an entire Bengals game besides the Bengals/Steelers games.

Bottomline, Chad played only 14 games and had a better season than Hines had playing 16 games. You can use your homerism to excuse that away all you want, but it doesn’t change anything.

32. Deb says: Jul 30, 2011 2:02 PM

@edgarpoe2 …

The Steelers aren’t the ones always making excuses for losses. That would be you guys. Then again … you guys are usually the ones doing the losing, aren’t you? :lol:

33. edgarpoe2 says: Jul 30, 2011 2:53 PM

Deb,
    I don’t believe you ever heard me make any excuses. The teams will play with all players available. Last time I heard it was a team sport. All the recent games have been really close and down to the wire. It’s football’s best rivalry. It would be better without the excuse crowd IMO.

All I heard last year after the Steelers lost the first game last year was they didn’t have Rotheisberger. They didn’t have that player or this player.

Quite frankly, I don’t mind the Steelers; it’s many of their idiotic fans, who seem to have lives so miserable they have to spew their obnoxious rhetoric all over the internet, especially with their six ring chants. The Steelers have been in existence since the beginning of time. The Packers have more rings, but I don’t see Packers fans chanting. And in contrast, the Ravens have a very short history – not quite 20 years. ;)

For the record, I don’t put you in that category. I think you are a pretty intelligent homer.

34. Deb says: Jul 30, 2011 5:53 PM

@edgarpoe2 …

Thank you :) Honestly, I didn’t remember if you’d done that, but a lot of Ravens fans do. I won’t come to your threads and badmouth the team, but if you guys come here … ;) Love your name, btw.

To me, the 40 years of losing is what makes the 70s turnaround such a great story. But I was around for the 80s, so I’m more keenly aware of ups and downs than some of the johnny-come-lately fans. Never pays to be overconfident. You’re wrong about the Packers fans, though. I’ve always had a soft spot for Favre and spent a lot of time on Vikes threads the last couple of years. Oh my gosh, those Pack fans are obnoxious.

Have you guys been around 20 years? Time flies. Yes, even though you didn’t enter the league as a true expansion team, you’ve had a terrific history in a short time. I love the rivalry. And no excuses from me for the loss last year. I don’t believe our backup QB had anything to do with Flacco’s game-winning pass ;) Besides, bad calls, injuries, and even suspensions are part of the game. All teams have to deal with those issues.

35. dd393 says: Jul 30, 2011 6:31 PM

What happened? Did some other dancer with the stars prance across the room and punch him in the nose?

36. raven4life21 says: Aug 2, 2011 9:11 AM

And if the Ravens beat the Steelers opening day… add this to the long, long, LONG list of excuses from the Steeler fans… CAN’T WAIT!