Vikings, Christian Ponder agree to terms

Under Armour Senior Bowl Getty Images

The Minnesota Vikings have their first-round draft pick — and, they hope, their franchise quarterback of the future — in the fold.

Christian Ponder has agreed to a four-year, $11 million deal with the Vikings, agent Jimmy Sexton told Jeremy Fowler of the Pioneer Press.

Ponder, a quarterback from Florida State, should be able to get to training camp today, and get to work backing up — and eventually unseating — Donovan McNabb.

Permalink 27 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
27 Responses to “Vikings, Christian Ponder agree to terms”
  1. baous says: Jul 31, 2011 12:18 PM

I love Jeremy Fowler

2. cull1224 says: Jul 31, 2011 12:23 PM

Now that they have their QB, how about they strengthen the O-line and the safety position??

3. everydayimfumbilin says: Jul 31, 2011 12:25 PM

hey he’ll be better then cam newton

4. thephantomstranger says: Jul 31, 2011 12:30 PM

And so it begins…

5. vikingdoode says: Jul 31, 2011 12:46 PM

Ponder back to pass…throws to……Harvin ………oh wait he’s on the bench….lol

6. tecmobowl34 says: Jul 31, 2011 12:53 PM

I can’t believe this noodle arm is on an NFL roster. Oh wait, it’s the Vikings, so yeah, I can

7. thousandcasts says: Jul 31, 2011 1:03 PM

“hey he’ll be better then cam newton”

He’s not going to live long enough to be better than Cam Newton.

Thanks,

Detroit’s Front Seven

8. phil325 says: Jul 31, 2011 1:10 PM

Now if there is a God he will beat out McNabb for the starting job and we can watch another McN cry baby episode.

9. chadmurdigan says: Jul 31, 2011 1:13 PM

I saw film of Cam Newton entering the Panther camp, and he’s already preening like he’s a cultural icon. I suspect Ponder is going to take a much more serious and humble approach to his first year. I think Newton’s in for a real taste of reality this year, just like Clausen was last year.

Indeed, Clausen’s walking without the entitlement swagger he had last year entering Panther training camp, and though I don’t care much for Clausen, at this time I find him a lot less annoying than Cam Newton, who appears to be so full of himself he’s on the verge of popping.

10. brewdogg says: Jul 31, 2011 1:27 PM

Now move in next door to Musgrave and get to work, young man!!

11. scudbot says: Jul 31, 2011 1:33 PM

Wonder if he gets the standard Vikings bail bond discount deal.

12. plasticdood says: Jul 31, 2011 1:35 PM

He is a stud. Steal of the draft. He will be starting before McNabby knows it!

13. jimmysee says: Jul 31, 2011 1:41 PM

The competition will come from Joe Webb.

14. alldayvikings says: Jul 31, 2011 1:43 PM

Next year he’ll have fitzgerald to throw too. I see it in our future

15. contra74 says: Jul 31, 2011 1:44 PM

Start learning Christian! The faster you learn the faster you’re out there playing!

16. realitypolice says: Jul 31, 2011 1:50 PM

When Christian Ponder thinks long and hard about something, does he say that he is “me-ing” the subject?

17. contra74 says: Jul 31, 2011 2:21 PM

tecmobowl34 says:
    Jul 31, 2011 12:53 PM
    ———

18. romosexualtendencies69 says: Jul 31, 2011 2:40 PM

Christian Ponder will be the starting QB next year when the franchise moves to California under the moniker “The L.A. Stab Wounds”

19. purpleman527 says: Jul 31, 2011 2:43 PM

Uh Oh !

Get ready for McBaby to cry and moan about signing another quarterback to the roster. Maybe the Vikes will keep Ponder on the practice squad this year to keep McBaby from getting his feelings hurt.

20. tecmobowl34 says: Jul 31, 2011 3:12 PM

contra74 says: Jul 31, 2011 2:21 PM

tecmobowl34 says:
    Jul 31, 2011 12:53 PM
    ———

———————

nah, just love poking sticks at an overly-sensitive fanbase

21. bobnelsonjr says: Jul 31, 2011 3:14 PM

Ponder will have more endorsement deals once he has a year in the LA market than Cam Newton ever will.

22. contra74 says: Jul 31, 2011 3:30 PM

romosexualtendencies69 says:
    Jul 31, 2011 2:40 PM
    ————
    OOOOOOHHHH another person taking shots at the vikings moving to LA. Cant take you serious with your name bro.

23. thousandcasts says: Jul 31, 2011 4:27 PM

“Hahaha…why you mad at the Vikings? So many haters for a team that’s supposed to “finish last in the NFC North”. I love it…keep hating cause it shows you’re nervous about the Vikes.”

To put things in perspective, as a Lions fan, I don’t think you’ll find any of us who are nervous of the Vikes.

Yes, the fans of a team that went 0-16 are laughing at the Vikings right now.

24. qdog112 says: Jul 31, 2011 6:07 PM

Ponder may not survive camp without surgery on his, already, very weak arm. If he unseats McNabb, I will bounce to MINN from NC on my head. The Vikings GM may lose his job behind this pick. Poder was the second best QB on his on team. What a joke.

25. theduuuuuuuuuude says: Jul 31, 2011 6:39 PM

@Thousandcasts

Let’s see if your team can protect Matt Stafford long enough to keep him from getting injured once again before you start talking crap. The Lions have some good pieces, but haven’t proven anything yet. Until they do they still are and always will be the laughingstock of the NFL.

26. brewdogg says: Jul 31, 2011 11:59 PM

I love Lions fans coming to Vikings threads and talking crap….. Reminds me of Kitna after that 6-0 start a few years back.

27. axespray says: Aug 1, 2011 7:29 AM

As A Packer Fan; I haven’t seen him play yet in the NFL so I’ll hold back my trash talk….

but can someone get him a t-shirt for once….it’s like watching jersey shore or something…