Jets keep Antonio Cromartie

antonio-cromartie-250x200 Getty Images

If cornerback Antonio Cromartie was upset by the Jets’ flirtation with Nnamdi Asomugha, it didn’t keep Cromartie from telling the Jets he didn’t want to play for them in 2011 and beyond.

Then again, the Jets gave him 32 million reasons not to have a stick stuck in a place where sticks ordinarily aren’t stuck.

Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News reports that the Jets have re-signed Cromartie to a four-year, $32 million contract.

The move gives the Jets a pair of its highest-profile acquisitions from 2010, providing continuity at a time of compressed preparation for the coming season.  They also have swapped out Plaxico Burress for Braylon Edwards.  The only significant free-agent loss to date was receiver Brad Smith, who signed with the Bills.

Permalink 41 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New York Jets, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
41 Responses to “Jets keep Antonio Cromartie”
  1. steel6times says: Aug 1, 2011 7:04 AM

Waste of money. Should of brought in a new QB. LOL 6

2. bleedblue18 says: Aug 1, 2011 7:09 AM

Here come all the “now he can feed all his kids” comments by the clever haters.

3. LobShots says: Aug 1, 2011 7:13 AM

most overrated cornerback in the league. watching cro attempt an open field tackle is like watching a child in an open field trying to catch a butterfly with a net.

4. citnetter says: Aug 1, 2011 7:18 AM

I was kinda hoping he’d stick it to the Jets.

5. reidstinks says: Aug 1, 2011 7:44 AM

Damn, one less trade partner for Asante.

6. botchedextrapoint says: Aug 1, 2011 7:46 AM

bleedblue18 says:
    Aug 1, 2011 7:09 AM
    Here come all the “now he can feed all his kids” comments by the clever haters.

Wrong! Still won’t be enough. But it will feed the ones he can remember.

7. humbleminded85 says: Aug 1, 2011 7:47 AM

@Steel6times You are a real piece of work. I see you countless times trolling on non related steelers stories just to write ” we got 6, we got 6″ Well, where do I began. First, besides being the guy who has enough time to comment on every pft story aka ur jobless, you always say “we” yet ive never seen ur jersey when im on NFL shop.com Second, one way I always put a arrogant pit fan on blast is to wait till were in a sports bar or somethin and right when they start the whole “we got 6″ ordeal I always(in front of others) simply asked them to recite the 6 years they won a SB. That next moment is what exposes the real Steelers fans from the post 04′-05′ fans, because at this point many become get upset and turn the convo around BECAUSE THEY HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YEARS THERE OWN TEAM HAVE WON! And for a team thats been around 80 plus years, one would think they would have at least 6 titles. Oh and not to mention I have more respect for Pit then many other Ravens fans, but when weve been around for 16 years and every steelers/ravens debate comes down to “we got 6, we got 6″ it really makes me laugh because im pretty sure that 80 yearsVS16 years does make that a valid arguement. Can a non Ravens/Steelers fan comment about this, because Ive always wonder what other people think.

8. gooboy6 says: Aug 1, 2011 7:48 AM

Hey not only can he feed all his kids now blue blood 18, he can knock up some more desperate beeatches with all that new$

9. humbleminded85 says: Aug 1, 2011 7:51 AM

I meant to say doesn’t make that a valid arguement…my fault

10. wtf__seriously says: Aug 1, 2011 7:53 AM

Welcome back, Cro!!!

11. wtf__seriously says: Aug 1, 2011 7:59 AM

Bleedblue, you’re not kidding. This site needs a bouncer to check IDs, and then several tools, starting with “we got 6″, would disappear.

12. ny82jy says: Aug 1, 2011 8:04 AM

Good move by the jets. As I see it we are ready to go now. Where is everyone who all offseason said the jets would lose all of their free agents or the jets wont have enough money to keep everyone. Or what a waste of a 2nd rd pick on getting Cromartie for a season was. Just shut up everyone you dont know anything! Now losing Smith definatly hurts but they managed to resign every other big name and lock them up long term. Cro is no Nnamdi but he is no slouch by no means, he knows the system and he is younger than Nnamdi too. I only see him getting better this year. They are set up to succed well for the next few years now. Haters get used to it the jets arent going anywhere.

13. merc13 says: Aug 1, 2011 8:07 AM

@humbleminded85 if this were the MLB they would only honor two of those rings

14. packersareandwillalwaysbebetterthanthebears says: Aug 1, 2011 8:08 AM

@steel6times

Steeler fans arent allowed to make quarterback jokes when the Steelers have the most overrated quarterback in history.

15. thereisalwaysnextyear says: Aug 1, 2011 8:13 AM

“They also have swapped out Plaxico Burress for Braylon Edwards.”

Shouldn’t this read they swapped out Edwards for Burress? Edwards is the one swapped out.

16. facebook.com/joesimmonscomic AKA Slow Joe (Bucs fan) says: Aug 1, 2011 8:16 AM

I don’t think this sentence means what you think it means.

They also have swapped out Plaxico Burress for Braylon Edwards.

Ditto.

17. kmurph1226 says: Aug 1, 2011 8:16 AM

Did you guys know that 7-6-5 (7 children 6 women 5 states) wears a QB wristband at home with all his kid’s names, pictures, and which mother he/she belongs to?

18. Patskrieg dot com says: Aug 1, 2011 8:17 AM

Would it make Jets fans happier if we picked on Cromartie’s crappy tackling as opposed to his billion kids?

19. redrew says: Aug 1, 2011 8:26 AM

The Jersey City Hospital’s Birth Center has been placed on alert…expecting a 300% spike in births over the next 4 years. Additional counselors and trauma specialists have been placed on call as well. Toys R Us has added additional aisles of infant toys and supplies as well. OctoMom has been contracted to provide a 24 hour direct hotline to the Cromartie’s and his impregnated women throughout the country

20. pfii63 says: Aug 1, 2011 8:30 AM

There’s the “financial apology” we’ve all been waiting on.

The NYT just did a piece on what a genius Tannenbaum is for the NYJ, but it seems to me that this year they are taking half a step back. Cro doesn’t scare anyone, and the biggest offseason move they made was to lose Brad Smith.

While the Pats take the division, the Jets will be looking over the shoulder at the approach of the Bills.

21. humbleminded85 says: Aug 1, 2011 8:33 AM

@merce13 I hear ya bro. Dont get me wrong im not saying every steeler fan should instantly know all 6 years off the top, but to use that “we got 6″ in every convo/arguement is just stupid and really shows there lack of knowledge of there own team. Also, ive met a lot of steelers fans before, yet only a handful are actaully from P.A. Steeler Nation I got real respect for yall, but man do yall have a lot of bandwagon fans/d!ck rida’s

22. snnyjcbs says: Aug 1, 2011 8:39 AM

You try and get better in the off season, the Jets have not gotten better. For all the Media Coverage they have received they have done nothing, almost looks like Armature Hour over there and they are lucky they do not look worse.

23. damnsureis says: Aug 1, 2011 8:40 AM

ny82jy says:

“Haters get used to it the jets arent going anywhere.”
    ——————————————————–

I have to agree with this. The Jets haven’t gone anywhere in 40 years. This year shouldn’t be any different.

24. tomsd1 says: Aug 1, 2011 8:45 AM

Cro can be maddening with his nonchalant approach to tackling, and his personal life is a mess, but having watched him here in SD there is one thing you can say: He is a very big tall talented corner who can run with the best WR’s.

And Mike: You outdid yourself on this one.

“a stick stuck in a place where sticks ordinarily aren’t stuck.” :)

25. tomsd1 says: Aug 1, 2011 8:45 AM

Oh – did I mention – he can also turn a game around when he picks and brings it back.

26. ampats says: Aug 1, 2011 8:47 AM

ny82jy says,

haters get used to it the jets aren’t going anywhere.

We finally agree on something !

27. supashug says: Aug 1, 2011 8:47 AM

no Todd Heap, sorry Rex

28. gosuhgo says: Aug 1, 2011 8:52 AM

I was really hoping he’d come to Detroit…we’re really lacking in unwed single mothers.

29. bozosforall says: Aug 1, 2011 9:02 AM

merc13 says:
    Aug 1, 2011 8:07 AM
    @humbleminded85 if this were the MLB they would only honor two of those rings

__
    And the Pats would still be ringless. LMAO

30. RexCanCoach says: Aug 1, 2011 9:35 AM

I am thrilled to have Cro back this year after the Nnamdi disaster.

Looking to see which of the draft picks step up now on DL, RB and special teams to replace B. Smith.

Just think a whole week ago we were wondering if and when the CBA would be signed. Can’t Wait!!!!

31. stephenjr311 says: Aug 1, 2011 9:36 AM

@humbleminded85

I grew up in NW PA and have lived in pgh. The best example I can give for what a typical Pittsburgh fan is something I experienced 2 summers ago when the Penguins won the Stanley Cup. I was at a bar watching game 7 in Pittsburgh. I’m not a huge hockey fan but being in pgh I got a little wrapped up in it that season and was watching fairly closely. Noone else in the bar seemed interested in the game. They were all there as a social event. I couldn’t believe the transformation after they won. All these people who couldn’t care less about actually watching the game were all of a sudden the most die hard fans you’d ever seen.

I’m not saying that pgh fans don’t always watch their games, I’m just saying they aren’t typically fans because they love the sport, it’s all about the social aspect for them. Most of them couldn’t even name 10 other teams in the NFL.

32. waccoforflacco says: Aug 1, 2011 9:39 AM

@humbleminded85 Could you please correct your grammar. The “possessive” form of the word you keep using is THEIR. The word THERE has a different meaning and usage.

33. bozosforall says: Aug 1, 2011 9:42 AM

humbleminded85 says:
    Aug 1, 2011 8:33 AM

__
    The Steelers will never match the Pats in sheer numbers of bandwagon fans/d!ck rida’s. It’s in their DNA.

34. polegojim says: Aug 1, 2011 10:45 AM

The Jets will be dangerous, if:

1) They can get past the mental melt-downs and finish the entire post season.
    2) They shut up about it and just DO IT. Nobody believes the predictions and Rex Ryan cheerleading. Just DO IT.

35. ice90 says: Aug 1, 2011 10:45 AM

That’s a lot to pay for Cromartie. But I don’t know what else could have been done? He’s a good corner and the Jets need someone opposite Revis who isn’t going to get lit up every other play. Wilson should improve but he needs to improve A LOT to make a difference. The great thing about Jet Haters is you know you are relevant when the haters come out to comment on every article that is posted. Look….. I bleed Jet green and white but I am worried that we really haven’t improved the roster. I guess we’ll see. There are a lot of bandwagon fans out there, no doubt, but I usually don’t run into too many jabroni Steeler fans. They are usually ok so I’ll consider “steel6″ the jabroni exception. Mostly, it’s women who jump on the bandwagon for whoever is winning. Jeez, I’ve never seen so many chicks in Packer jerseys in my life! Pretty hilarious.

36. nyjalleffingday says: Aug 1, 2011 10:47 AM

@patskreig

Yes, actually. 1) Because it’s funny how afraid a grown man is to initiate padded contact and 2) it makes you look like less of a scumbag when you don’t personally attack people. C’mon man, we NEVER bring up Hoody being homeless, Tom Bradys sopping wet ovaries or the fact that 95% of your funny speaking fanbase became fans past 2001 and now that the NFL won’t let you cheat to win SB’s you’re going to lose them and the team will become just as irrelevant and miserable as they were for the 40 years pre-2001.

37. ballsdeep24 says: Aug 1, 2011 11:41 AM

I love how the Jets “biggest off season move” was losing Brad Smith. A WR4 / kick returner. Wow, how will they ever figure that out?

The reason Brad was such a good kick returner is because Westoff is a great special teams coach.

That said, I’m very happy with Cro for 8m/yr. After throwing 12/year at Nnamdi, I figured Cro would hold out for 10.

Joseph got 7.5, better to have Cro back with a year of the system under his belt

38. pkrlvr says: Aug 1, 2011 11:55 AM

Awesome, now maybe he’s got enough dough to finally spring for that box of condoms he’s been thinking about!

39. humbleminded85 says: Aug 1, 2011 12:30 PM

@waccoforflacco Your right man, no excuse for that. I didn’t give Maryland public schools a good look on that one.

40. whoknowsnothing says: Aug 1, 2011 1:51 PM

Cromartie tackles like Deion Sanders.

41. realtimeeyes says: Aug 1, 2011 4:18 PM

HE HAS THREE 3 YR OLD KIDS. It doesn’t matter who he plays for, he is an idiot. Man I would give anything to hear what Bill Romanowski would say to this guy! I think there would be a K Stewart moment!