Ryan Mathews is off to a rough start this season

Norv Turner, Ryan Mathews AP

After a disappointing rookie year, the Chargers were hoping that 2010 top-15 pick Ryan Mathews would turn the corner this year and take hold of the primary running back job in San Diego.

Perhaps that will happen, but the kid is off to a rough start.

Mathews failed his conditioning test to start camp. Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune writes that invited a lock of mocking and “some incredulity” by his teammates.  His teammates describe the conditioning test as fairly easy.

“I haven’t been doing much speed work like that. There’s a couple things I probably should have done differently in the offseason, conditioning my legs,” Mathews said.

Once Mathews passed the test and got back on the field, he didn’t stay there for long.  He’s missed the last few days of work due to “soreness” or a toe injury, depending which San Diego paper you read.  Coach Norv Turner hopes Mathews returns in the next few days.

It’s one thing to see a defensive tackle struggle with conditioning, but it’s a little eye-opening when it happens to a running back. It’s a good thing the Chargers still have Mike Tolbert on the roster to share the load with Mathews.

Permalink 34 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, San Diego Chargers, Sprint Football Live - Rumors
34 Responses to “Ryan Mathews is off to a rough start this season”
  1. billinva says: Aug 2, 2011 8:36 AM

Don’t worry, it’ll just take 6 games for him to get up to speed, then he’ll have to run the table to make the playoffs.

2. ny82jy says: Aug 2, 2011 8:37 AM

Sounds like he was real lazy during the lockout or the lack of practice during the lockout really hurt him

3. cardsfann1 says: Aug 2, 2011 8:40 AM

This guy screwed me in my fantasy league last year! I fell victim to the hype for sure. He has “bust” written all over him…

4. berniemadoffsides says: Aug 2, 2011 8:41 AM

Kid has “BUST” written all over him…

5. coachknights says: Aug 2, 2011 8:46 AM

Jordan Todman, remember the name.

6. FinFan68 says: Aug 2, 2011 8:48 AM

Wow. That’s ridiculous. I thought this kid was going to be special. If his work ethic is that bad he will be one of those 3 and out RBs.

7. vahawker says: Aug 2, 2011 8:48 AM

spoiled brat slacker or young guy who needed some veteran leadership during the lock out?

8. tucknrolle says: Aug 2, 2011 9:01 AM

So your saying that Tolbert could be a fantasy steal… Noted

9. mistamista2000 says: Aug 2, 2011 9:13 AM

“I haven’t been doing much speed work like that. There’s a couple things I probably should have done differently in the offseason, conditioning my legs,”…Ya think so Ryan???Isn’t that part of the job description?

10. dawsonleery says: Aug 2, 2011 9:14 AM

AJ Smith has been horrible at drafting the past handful of years. He is screwing over Rivers while he is in his prime. Not cool.

11. jimmysee says: Aug 2, 2011 9:24 AM

… living the high life
    :-(

12. Robert Chandler says: Aug 2, 2011 9:36 AM

“lock of mocking”?? I swear, every PFT article has at least one typo in it. That might not bother many, but it makes me feel a little less respect for a site I already feel is rather amateurish.

13. p4hbiz says: Aug 2, 2011 9:36 AM

8-8 at best for the overrated team

14. Tom Melton says: Aug 2, 2011 9:44 AM

I was not very high on him coming out, not entirely surprised he didn’t blow up like everyone expected him to last year. Didn’t think this would ever be an issue though, everyone always talked about how hard he worked. Might have just gotten content/relaxed being a 1st rounder and seeing LT leave. Now Sproles is gone too and he’s practically getting handed the job.

15. marshmellon says: Aug 2, 2011 9:50 AM

This is the kid that was worried the Texans were going to draft him? Arian Foster is glad they didn’t.

16. cappa662 says: Aug 2, 2011 9:56 AM

Not exactly what I want to hear, what a waste of a first round pick last year.

17. kingjoe1 says: Aug 2, 2011 10:00 AM

this shows why the NFL likes a lot of off season workouts. Too bad the NFLPA eliminated most. The quality in the NFL will deteriorate quickly

18. mmmpieyummy says: Aug 2, 2011 10:18 AM

Sweet…a lazy fat bust for the Dolts. Awesome!

19. whitemike55 says: Aug 2, 2011 10:23 AM

Matthews said right after the draft “I was worried Houston was going to trade up and get me”

I was worried too… I’m glad we have THE LEADING RUSHER AND TOTAL YARDS from scrimmage in Arian Foster!

15, 10, 5 TOUCHDOWN FOSTER!

20. chrisbinjax says: Aug 2, 2011 10:23 AM

Ryan Matthews aka Jamarcus Russell aka Akili Smith aka Kijana Carter…………BUST

21. icanspeel says: Aug 2, 2011 10:25 AM

Assuming he doesn’t get injured.. It could end on a positive note since he will have to work extra hard to catch up. Maybe it is the motivation he needs to play up to his potential.

22. enfuego2000 says: Aug 2, 2011 10:27 AM

BUST!!!!!!!!!!!

23. souldogdave says: Aug 2, 2011 10:37 AM

As a Raider fan, I love it.

24. steelcity09 says: Aug 2, 2011 10:39 AM

BUST!!!

Season starts in a month and dude is out of shape, has no legs, cant pass his run test, and is fat.

Nice.

And Darren Sproles is in New Orleans.

25. boltstayinsd says: Aug 2, 2011 10:49 AM

You know he spent the whole summer kickin it and partyin in Pacific Beach

26. clintonrb says: Aug 2, 2011 10:56 AM

i thought it was crazy reading the reaction oF san diego Fans last year thinking this guy was going to start oF at LTs level last year..he showed his true colors 1st game against kansas city

soFt,Fumbles,a bad pick even in the 3rd round

aj smith is losing it..

27. clintonrb says: Aug 2, 2011 10:59 AM

bust

san diego now has the third worst run game in the afc west..no sproles, do they really think this guy can handle the brunt of the carries?

moreno and matthews are in one class, and a bad one at that

mcfadden and charles are on an entirely different level-elite

28. t16rich says: Aug 2, 2011 11:07 AM

Fresno St. Alumni folks. Were you really expecting a Fresno Bulldog to put in extra work?

29. kmurph1226 says: Aug 2, 2011 11:18 AM

You’re a running back and you failed a conditioning test? ALBERT HAYNESWORTH passed his and he can’t even run! He just rolls wherever he wants on the field.

30. pacificnw7722 says: Aug 2, 2011 12:34 PM

“There’s a couple things I probably should have done differently in the offseason, conditioning my legs,” Mathews said.”

You are a RB in the National Football League!

This fool is clueless…. Good luck with him….LOL/

31. arnoldziffel says: Aug 2, 2011 12:37 PM

A running back that couldn’t pass the conditioning test!!!

I bought into the hype last year – selected this lout in the 3rd round of our fantasy draft … and paid dearly for it. Luckily, I drafted Arian Foster in the 7th so that made up for it.

I see Matthews is being highly touted in the fantasy magazines again for this season …

This time I don’t think I’m going to bite.

32. Mr. Wright 212 says: Aug 2, 2011 2:53 PM

He’s soft. He was overweight coming into his rookie year also. That’s why he was always hurt. He doesn’t have the moxie to play RB.

33. theduuuuuuuuuude says: Aug 2, 2011 4:39 PM

Guys like this piss me off. I bet 90% of football fans would give their left arm to have the ability to even get a sniff of making an NFL roster, and guys like this just take a golden opportunity and flush it down the toilet. If Matthews as a RUNNING back can’t pass a conditioning test, he has no business being in the NFL. You can coach guys up but you can’t teach work ethic. When being in absolute top physical shape is part of the job description and you can’t even meet that minimum requirement after only a year on the job, you deserved to be cut.

34. usmcboltfan says: Aug 13, 2011 11:40 AM

Chargers running game severely hamstrung, Mathews is a bust and AJ’s ego will keep him from getting some veteran help in the running game.
    1st rounder shows up out of shape, REALLY?? Then is ither hurt half the time or fumbles, what a piece of work this guy is, Ryan if you’re reading please just retire already so we can give the ball to “hungry” RB’s Tolbert and Toddman.