Vikings got a bargain in Charlie Johnson

charliejohnson Getty Images

With the Vikings swapping out Bryant McKinnie for Charlie Johnson at left tackle, the numbers show that the Vikings got a pretty good deal.

By cutting McKinnie, the Vikings avoided $5.65 million in salary and bonuses for 2011.  And to snag Johnson from the Colts, the Vikings had to offer $10.5 million over three years.

Per a source with knowledge of the deal, Johnson received a $3 million signing bonus, along with a base salary of $1 million in 2011.  That translates to a cap number of only $2 million in 2011.

The salary increases to $2.95 million in each of the next two seasons, with a $500,000 roster bonus due in 2013.

It ended up being more than the Colts wanted to spend, and it probably ended up being less than it would have cost the Vikings if McKinnie had been cut before Johnson had been signed.

Permalink 46 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors
46 Responses to “Vikings got a bargain in Charlie Johnson”
  1. coleman121280 says: Aug 2, 2011 8:23 PM

Bryant Mckinnie essentially ate himself off an NFL roster.

2. nbcstinks says: Aug 2, 2011 8:27 PM

I LOVE the deal. McKinnie was underachieving, inconsistent, lazy and overrated. I’d take Charlie over Bryant any day of the week. The only thing I regret is that it took this long to jettison the guy. Good riddance…

3. favreblows says: Aug 2, 2011 8:29 PM

They didn’t get a bargain. They got a horsesh!t left tackle. McKinnie is a dirt bag and deserved to be cut, but the Vikings are now worse off at LT. THAT is the reason he was so cheap. Hell…the Colts cut ties with the guy because they didn’t want to pay him as much as the Queens. What does that tell you? The usual idiots (Paul Hargis for sure) will hail this decision. But anybody that knows football knows that the Vikings OL just got worse. Favre got killed last year and AP never had holes. Look forward to more of the same Viking fans.

4. contra74 says: Aug 2, 2011 8:39 PM

————–
    LOL – its always comedy hour with you, I love it. Why the hate!? Surely you guys are going to repeat and roll over everyone – especially the Eagles. Right? Riiiiiiiiight LOL. Dont stop believing Princess.

5. doowix says: Aug 2, 2011 8:44 PM

The Lions defensive line got the bargain.

6. gdeli says: Aug 2, 2011 8:47 PM

we’ll see. If they are good, I’m rooting for them. If they stink then I laugh at them. I have earned the right as a lifelong vikes fan.

7. favreblows says: Aug 2, 2011 8:54 PM

Figures….I checked out the posts under “..Opens door for Johnson” and the village idiot, AKA Paul Hargis, claims the following:

‘Good riddance to McKinnie, should have been done earlier…oh well, addition by subtraction.’

What a stupid, blind homer. If the guy was worth anything, then why the hell would the Colts not have signed him to protect Manning? It’s not like they have anybody else to step in. Clearly they didn’t think anything of Johnson. Kevin Seifert correctly noted in his blog today that the move makes little sense from a talent standpoint and the Vikes are now worse off at a key position.

The Indianapolis Star also discusses the fact that Johnson never has been more than a middling LT and that the Vikings overpaid to get him.

8. Topher says: Aug 2, 2011 9:18 PM

So what’s up with osi umenyiora stating (and MDS reporting) that Johnson got $72m?

Hmmmm… Colts were unwilling to pay a guy who would start at guard for them $3m a year? When was the last time the Colts let someone go who could still play?

9. dwhitehurst says: Aug 2, 2011 9:20 PM

Charles Johnson you say?! Championship.

10. Topher says: Aug 2, 2011 9:28 PM

It’s been brought to my attention that the 72m reported was from the other Charles Johnson. My bad.

I figure I would say something before the Internet tough guys jack themselves into a fever over my mistake. I’m looking at you “stranger”

11. paulharghis says: Aug 2, 2011 9:44 PM

=================================
    That I need to explain something to you is not suprising.

What I mean by that comment is that McKinnie is a petulant, lazy, off field risk. Yes he is talented.

I’d rather have a tenacious scrappy player that TRIES to get better.
    Mckinnie has the talent to be elite, but he’s satisfied being good, not great.

Frazier is slowly but surely changing the mindset of this team and getting rid of the deadwood.

If McKinnie came in so obese that his cholesterol was that big of a problem, then he obviously doesn’t care about his job, his teammates or his team.
    So yes, my idiotic freind in the long run, they are better off without him.
    Seifert has always pissed all over anything Viking so I take what he says with a grain of salt.

Let me know if there are any other things that you don’t understand, even if I didn’t post them.

I’d be more than willing to educate you. It doesn’t even have to be about football.
    From your postings on here, I have feeling that football isn’t the only thing you have trouble with and don’t understand.
    No need to be ashamed. I’ ll be waiting to hear from you.

12. rcunningham says: Aug 2, 2011 9:48 PM

Mr. FavreBlows, I think it’s time you take a deep breath, step away from the computer, and stop taking football so seriously.

13. vikefan says: Aug 2, 2011 9:54 PM

Is Charlie Johnson the answer?….will have to wait and see…..but its not like McKinnie was the answer the last 3 seasons the way he was letting qbs get killed, even if its a lateral move talent wise for the o-line, the Vikings pocket book is better off and so is overall team attitude for now.

14. bigred12 says: Aug 2, 2011 9:58 PM

i love the move, but that sucks for johnson. he signed thinking he’d maybe get to compete for a starting job, and now he’s a starter in the toughest o-line position while making far less than most starters.

15. goawayeverybody says: Aug 2, 2011 10:08 PM

Topher, there are two different Charles Johnsons. The one in Carolina is a defensive lineman and the one in Minnesota is an offensive lineman.

16. croghan1919 says: Aug 2, 2011 10:19 PM

Charlie Johnson is more than a just LT.
    Believe it or not, he’s a better G than T.
    How many sacks did Manning take last year?
    16…..tied for 2nd best in the league.
    Vikes fans will find out about CJ soon enough…..dammit!!!

17. db1141 says: Aug 2, 2011 10:23 PM

topher you asked when was the last time te colts let someone go that could still play…………how about marcus wahington,nick harper, mike peterson, ryan diem, raheem brock,kelvin hayden, david thornton, and the list can go on!!!

18. db1141 says: Aug 2, 2011 10:41 PM

favreblows correct me if I’m wrong, but didn’t they just draft a tackle in the 1st rd.? Wouldn’t that be a pretty good replacement and give the colts a reason not to pay millions to a potential backup?

19. sevensixtwonato says: Aug 2, 2011 10:46 PM

favreblows says:
    Aug 2, 2011 8:29 PM

————————————————–

Wow….you’re an idiot

20. gumberculez says: Aug 2, 2011 11:07 PM

“How many sacks did Manning take last year?
    16…..tied for 2nd best in the league.
    Vikes fans will find out about CJ soon enough…..dammit!!”

21. colts609 says: Aug 2, 2011 11:16 PM

Ryan Diem is still a Colt and has been recently resigned..Jake Scott and Ryan Lilja may be better examples

22. colts609 says: Aug 2, 2011 11:18 PM

croghan1919, Johnson allowed 6 of those 16….here’s to hoping your QB has the same field awareness as Peyton

23. thephantomstranger says: Aug 2, 2011 11:47 PM

Topher says:
    Aug 2, 2011 9:28 PM

___________

Pardon me for trying to help you understand something you obviously have a hard time understanding. You went two days thinking the Vikings gave a mediocre offensive lineman $72 million, and you were the only one on Earth who thought that for even one second. All I did was point out the obvious, which you seem to have some trouble grasping.

24. favreblows says: Aug 2, 2011 11:59 PM

Idiot–that’s code for Paul Hargis–

Your explanation of your ridiculous point just further establishes that the Queens have downgraded at LT. THAT was my point numbnuts. Johnson could be a choir boy who never swears…..and if he allows McNabb to get killed…..it won’t matter. This is a league based on talent son…..and the Vikes have zero talent at left tackle right now. Again, why would the Colts allow him to sign with Minnesota for a cheap contract if he had any ability whatsoever? Why? Because he sucks…..plain and simple.

Your mother must have dropped you on your head when you were a small child…….multiple times……..on purpose……..probably because you’re so ugly.

25. thephantomstranger says: Aug 3, 2011 12:11 AM

@favreblower -

I’m not sure how a guy who has started 54 games at LT for one of the best teams in the league and is still only 27 is a downgrade from a 32-year-old, 400 lb., troublemaker who doesn’t care about anything but rap music and tennis players with big butts. This is a transition year for the Vikes. They’ll play Johnson at LT this year while they have to, draft a LT in the first round next year, and move Johnson to guard, which he’s better suited to. Plus they save a ton of cash under the salary cap, allowing them to make other moves or give Adrian a nice new contract.

26. favreblows says: Aug 3, 2011 12:30 AM

db1141 says:Aug 2, 2011 10:41 PM

***Yes they did, but they likely have serious concerns about him coming in and being an effective starter this year. Afterall, he is a rookie, and due to the lockout, they have no idea what to expect of him. Second, the contract Johnson signed with the Queens was pretty cheap and the guy can play more than one position. So, the Colts clearly did not make their decision based on dollars so much as the fact that the guy just isn’t any good.

27. croghan1919 says: Aug 3, 2011 1:02 AM

@gumberculez
    “Sorry, croghan1919 but Manning didn’t take so few sacks because of his OL. He was constantly under pressure all season. His quick release and pocket presence kept him from getting sacked for the most part. Charlie Johnson has versatility, but LT is the wrong spot for him. If he is not playing G or RT then he is a very subpar starter, otherwise just average.
    Sorry,
    Read my post again.
    I don’t/didn’t disagree with you.

28. brewdogg says: Aug 3, 2011 1:03 AM

I love all the Packer fans bashing Johnson. I think they’re just glad to see McKinnie go. For all their gum-flapping about how terrible McKinnie was (before Johnson was signed and he was cut, of course…), I’m sure they know that their golden boy Matthews has 1 sack in 4 games against McKinnie.

29. paulharghis says: Aug 3, 2011 7:26 AM

YIKES.
    I never said they didn’t downgrade you imbecile.
    I said it was a move a long time in coming and necessary for the team to move on. It betters the team in th long run.
    Your point that I responded to, was that I would think it was a great move. Do you follow? Get lost? need a navigator?
    Your talent “evaluation” aside, Minnesota will be just fine at that position.

Uff, your attemt at humor is lamer than your knowledge of football.

In your rush to “try” to make me look bad, you show your lack of reading comprhension.

Maybe if I didn’t make you look dumb so may times and hurt your feelings, we could be freinds.

I’m sorry moron. That better?

By the way, your words and phrasing give you away completely.

30. Topher says: Aug 3, 2011 8:34 AM

db1141, you have some points. Ryan Lilja was cut last year and had a great year.

Hayden hasn’t played yet since being cut, hasn’t even signed yet.

Your list of players is heavy on players that were cut 4 or more years ago. 8 or so years ago in the case of Washington and Peterson.

I guess “play” is a relative term, I wouldn’t call Raheem Brock a player. 9 sacks is good, but he is more of a role guy than a starting guy. Nor would I call David Thornton or Nick Harper players. All of those guys (and I would put Johnson in this category) are guys that are good enough to hold the position down until something better comes along.

I would want something a little better than that from a free agent signing (and $3m a year IS cheap for a LT but its about correct for a G, which Johnson truly is… and I’m a little bitter the Colts wouldn’t fork over a fair contract for Johnson… it makes me feel better thinking he must not be as good as I hoped he would be)

Still, you made a good point that there are guys out there but I still stand by my larger point that players let go by the Colts (and the other upper echelon teams as well) tend to not play as well (or at all) for other teams.

Stranger, I stand corrected you were the picture of etiquette and not at all a tough guy or a troll. And when you called me an idiot I instinctively knew that you meant “dude, you are mistaken.”

See, there is an ever increasing number of posters, such as yourself, who are making this webpage, which we all have enjoyed for nearly a decade an uncomfortable place to visit. Calling people an idiot for being wrong makes this community hostile. You frequently do this and I assure you, it doesn’t make ME look bad when you call me an idiot.

31. tombradysponytail says: Aug 3, 2011 9:30 AM

paulharghis says:
    Aug 3, 2011 7:26 AM

______________

You frequently refer to your “freinds” [SIC] on here – either in the context of freindships that were damaged beyond repair (e.g., supersuckers) or something that could be seen as a blossoming freindship, if only the individual in question weren’t “so dumb.”

I find it a little puzzling. I do hope you have freinds in the real world, and not just freindships on pft.

32. tombradysponytail says: Aug 3, 2011 9:32 AM

thephantomstranger says:
    Aug 2, 2011 11:47 PM

_____________

C’mon phantom, we’re talking about the vikes, I’m sure there are lots of people who would believe they would pay such a sum for Charlie Johnson. They like to overpay for untalented players, for some reason.

33. favreblows says: Aug 3, 2011 10:01 AM

@ Paul Hargis—Apology noted. No thanks on the offer to become friends. I am quite satisfied with my personal life outside of PFT, and am not really interested in using this blog as a method to gain buddies. Sorry.

I think we are all clear on the fact that the Vikings have downgraded at LT and are in huge trouble with their OL. Check out Jim Souhan’s column in the Strib this morning:

“Myth No. 2: The Vikings, two years after playing in the NFC Championship Game and in the midst of groveling for a new stadium, would do everything within their power to win this year. The release of McKinnie destroys those notions.”

“Despite his many flaws, McKinnie was a good player at a vital position. Without him, the Vikings offensive line, already a source of concern, could be quite mediocre. On this team, one dependent on running back Adrian Peterson and forced to break in two new quarterbacks, it could be fatal.”

“He (Frasier) will be willing to sacrifice victories to instill his culture.”

“By making such a drastic decision, Frasier diminished his chances of winning this season.”

“The decision might have been more difficult if the Vikings were on the verge of a run to the Super Bowl. They are not. They are trying to rebuild on the fly, while remaining competitive, which is the most difficult trick in pro sports.”

***I have been saying for weeks that the Vikings need to blow up this team and rebuild. Frasier gets that. He has the job security to start over and that is what he is doing. If he really had guts, he would convince Spielman and Wilf to trade AP. It is a waste to have the best RB in the league on a team that will have trouble finding six wins this year. Trade him for a couple of first round draft picks and start thinking about 2013-2015. That’s essentially what Thompson did and look how that turned out.

34. carlgerbschmidt says: Aug 3, 2011 10:13 AM

You guys are like the freakin hyenas in the Lion King.

By the way, if I were you I’d be a little less worried about how much my OL are paid and a little more worried about how my new starting QB (and mentor to your future QB) can’t pass up the opportunity to rip his two prior teams in the press – instead of focusing on his new team.

35. tombradysponytail says: Aug 3, 2011 11:22 AM

Ha.

You guys are so far gone, you turned Carl into the voice of reason!

36. zn0rseman says: Aug 3, 2011 11:38 AM

The Vikings are using 2011 to win in 2012. This move helps to accomplish that goal regardless of whether one thinks that this move makes them better or worse for 2011.

37. purpwalk says: Aug 3, 2011 11:57 AM

par for the course for a newly-minted head coach and it will serve him well, i’m sure. if fraz wants a long career as a HC, like his good friend tony dungy, he had no choice in this situation. bmac should’ve known this, but he’s too arrogant

it would’ve been better if bmac had come back in shape and contributed. instead, he came back close to 400 lbs., and then wouldn’t cut his pay, so he forced the vikes to make a move

rosenhaus could have monitored his client, bmac, during the off-season, and had a duty to do so, imo, especially considering bmac’s irresponsible and immature character and the fact that the coaches couldn’t perform the implementing and monitoring of bmac’s physical conditioning

rosengreedinhaus should’ve known all this, and counseled his player accordingly, but he’s too arrogant, too

38. thephantomstranger says: Aug 3, 2011 1:43 PM

Topher says:
    Aug 3, 2011 8:34 AM

_____________

Dude, you’ve been reading these comments for 10 years and this is what offends you? It’s much more tame than it used to be. Anyway, I apologize for the negativity. In my defense, the comment was so dumb that I assumed it was Carl Gerbschmidt who made it so my response was just a kneejerk reaction.

39. tombradysponytail says: Aug 3, 2011 2:53 PM

Hey Phantom, or should I say Pervy… or Gravy… how many times have you been banned from here for your “negativity” as you call it, of course some may call it assedness.

40. gumberculez says: Aug 3, 2011 3:37 PM

@croghan1919

re-read your post yourself.

With your response I can see your context is different than what I originally thought, so we all agree there. On first glance I imagine I’m not the only one who took your post different than you intended it. In fact colts609 did as well.

But all in all you’re right that the Vikings will find out about Johnson soon enough.

41. thephantomstranger says: Aug 3, 2011 3:54 PM

Hey Tom, or should I say Carl? You two are so similar you ought to get a room together at the Weekapaug Inn. I am who I am (copyright Popeye). Pervy is enjoying retirement on his lakefront property and Gravy is working on improving his SAT scores.

42. paulharghis says: Aug 3, 2011 10:07 PM

Tom and Favre: I see sarcasm isn’t either of yours strong suit.

43. paulharghis says: Aug 3, 2011 10:45 PM

Or at least, you don’t understand it.

44. supersuckers3 says: Aug 3, 2011 11:22 PM

favreblows says:
    Aug 2, 2011 8:29 PM
    ——–

God you are an embarrasment to Packer fans. Shut up. You write 1000 character rants about things that haven’t occured?? Talk trash all you want but at least don’t talk it like a 7 year old. C’mon… Act as if. If you even know what that means.

45. brewdogg says: Aug 4, 2011 1:38 AM

Wow….the softer side of super. Cool.

46. Topher says: Aug 4, 2011 8:27 PM

Stranger, well said. Water bridge and all that. I must have had an extra sensitive day after being disappointed my beloved Colts thought Tommie Harris the best they can do in free agency.

The end of an era isn’t nearly as fun as the beginning.