Mike Patterson says he’s fine

AP

There’s good news on Mike Patterson, who was taken off the field in an ambulance at Eagles camp today.

A source with knowledge of the situation tells PFT’s Mike Florio that Patterson is sending text messages from the hospital saying he is fine.

Patterson’s doctors believe dehydration is what caused him to collapse on the field.

The 27-year-old Patterson is a 6-foot-1, 300-pound defensive tackle who has been a starter for the Eagles for his entire seven-year career. The photo here shows a member of the team’s training staff cooling Patterson off during Monday’s practice.

Although Eagles players were visibly upset after witnessing Patterson going into convulsions, indications are that Patterson will be OK.

43 responses to “Mike Patterson says he’s fine

1. Glad to hear that he’ll be ok. You gotta be smarter than that Mike! Drink up every chance you get!

2. “Mike Patterson says he’s fine”

indications are that Patterson will be OK.

” A M E N “

3. It’s hard to imagine how much fluid a guy weighing 300 pounds and bigger than a house would have to drink to withstand August workouts.

Mike, how about doing a piece on a slow news day about how trainers keep track of fluid intake with all the interesting details? I’m sure the whole hydration aspect of professional football is fascinating, and I’d like to know more about it.

I’m glad Patterson is okay.

4. I went into convulsions once after I passed out from giving blood too quickly. I think sometimes your body just fights to stay awake or something. Hopefully this means it’s nothing serious

5. big guys and heat/humidity do not mix. Many young people get sick too cause they push it in bas weather. That cory stringer thing was SO avoidable. Shame on the vikes for not having more cool down periods. Every 1/2 hour cold water on the head and hydrate with water and electrolytes too. glad your ok but it can happen again easier next time.

6. Its interesting that he’s texting from the hospital. If they took him from the field in an ambulance to the hospital, that would mean that he had his cellphone in his uniform somewhere.

7. Sorry but the person in the picture is A. Dixon. Patterson wears number 98. Please do some research before just putting up pictures.

Glad to hear that Big Mike is doing good!

8. These big guys need to really focus on their hydration and staying cool. We don’t want another Korey Stringer. Stay safe, players.

9. laeaglefan says:
    Aug 3, 2011 10:41 AM

10. Cotton mouth bad this morning, eh patty? Nah, i love ya mike. Just playin’. I’m all for your habits.

11. Danny Watkins has already proved his worth tending to Mike, good thing his holdout ended!

12. That’s good News!!
    Someone needs to get Bobby Boucher out there to deliver some high quality H2O. Before the Superbowl favorite Eagles become all dried up, literally.

13. “Or perhaps…a staffer went to recover his identification and insurance cards while he was being tended to and his phone was with that stuff…they do need ID at the hospital, even if your name is on your shirt”

14. Imagine if something horrible happened to this guy, wonder how desean would feel, dude is out there busting his azz and desean wants more money. I suppose don’t hate the player, hate the game, it’s all about to change.

15. It’s really hot out this is going to happen all over the NFL the lockout = guys coming into camp a little out of shape and not as ready to rock and roll.

16. chadmurdigan says:
    Aug 3, 2011 10:39 AM

=====================================

I couldn’t help but read this with the voice of Bobby Boucher in my head. Glad Mike’s ok.

17. laeaglefan says: Aug 3, 2011 11:14 AM

Unless he said “hey, grab my cell will ya?” I dont know what it is you’re trying to do here. So what if he has his phone with him?

18. laeaglefan says:
    Aug 3, 2011 10:41 AM

or he asked a teammate or a coach or training staff member to go get it for him. lol how do you jump to that conclusion and discount all the other possibilities.

19. Even if that were the case (which I doubt, since I’m sure he’s covered under the Eagles’ insurance, and they’d have all the necessary information on him to give to the hospital), I somehow doubt that whoever was sent to retrieve that stuff would stop to think “Gee, he’ll probably want his cellphone there at the hospital. I’d better take it”.

======================================

Or maybe someone had enough foresight to think his family/friends might hear about his hospitalization on the news, and they’d better retrieve his phone so he can stay in contact…

I don’t understand what you’re trying to get at.

20. Hope everthing is OK with Patterson. The Eagles will need him this year. On another note Mike Patterson 6-foot-1, 300-pound defensive tackle??? More like 5″11 330 lbs. This guy hasn’t been under 320 since USC.

21. “pftstory says:
    Aug 3, 2011 10:40 AM
    Should a member of a TRAINING STAFF be that out of shape?”

Dude. He’s from Philly… So, yes.

22. Even if that were the case (which I doubt, since I’m sure he’s covered under the Eagles’ insurance, and they’d have all the necessary information on him to give to the hospital), I somehow doubt that whoever was sent to retrieve that stuff would stop to think “Gee, he’ll probably want his cellphone there at the hospital. I’d better take it”.

Actually that’s exactly what they do. The player gets taken off the field in his pads and uniform and those get cut off in the training room or the hospital in this situation…. so they grab all his things out of his locker so he can have clothes when he leaves the hospital and his cell phone so he can contact family and friends

23. Does he think he’s better than everybody else u can’t have ur cellphone on in the hospital

24. @laeaglefan: Media accounts say that Eagles assistant trainer Chris Peduzzi texted those messages from his phone at Patterson’s request; both are at Lehigh Valley Hospital waiting for doctors to finish running tests on Patterson.

25. vick feels a lot better now that he knows pattersons ok because when patterson was down on the ground convulsing vick could be heard yelling “go for the throat!” “go for the throat!”

seriously though, glad he’s ok.

26. dmac26 says: Aug 3, 2011 12:03 PM

“pftstory says:
    Aug 3, 2011 10:40 AM
    Should a member of a TRAINING STAFF be that out of shape?”

Dude. He’s from Philly… So, yes.

————————–

You’re right, because a coach or trainer could never be out of shape!

True story: Rex Ryan is actually a robot operated by three skinner men who occupy the stomach region. Because as we know, no man that fat could ever run a team of athletes.

27. damnskins703 says:
    Aug 3, 2011 12:15 PM

=====================================

Where did you ever get that idea? There’s no restriction on mobile phone usage in hospitals. In fact, hospitals use distributed antenna systems to improve cell phone coverage and capacity when you’re inside.

I’m starting to think people like to make things up just so they can post random criticism…

28. Where did you ever get that idea? There’s no restriction on mobile phone usage in hospitals.

—————————————————————

Usually, there is a restriction in trauma and critical care areas.

29. melonnhead says:
    Aug 3, 2011 7:58 PM

—————————————————————

Usually, there is a restriction in trauma and critical care areas.
    ======================================

Maybe before they understood how exactly mobile phones would possibly influence medical equipment, but these days the repeater antennas go in CCU/ICU as well. Restrictions might possibly still exist around MRI’s, nuc med or imaging rooms, but those are non-public areas.

It’s besides the point anyway, since Patterson wouldn’t have been in any of those areas. He would most likely have been taken to a patient hold in the ER for observation.