Tyrod Taylor could wind up as Baltimore’s backup quarterback

Baltimore Ravens Training Camp Getty Images

Joe Flacco hasn’t missed a start in his brief NFL career, but the Ravens probably don’t want to push their luck too much.

Following Marc Bulger’s retirement Wednesday morning, the team’s current backup is sixth-round rookie Tyrod Taylor.  The Virginia Tech product was expected to be a developmental project this year, but offensive coordinator Cam Cameron likes what he sees.

“That’s our plan until someone else is here, and I don’t know that anybody will be here,” Cameron told the Baltimore Sun. “This kid is special and you guys that have watched him play [at Virginia Tech], you guys have seen him play more than I have, but you saw the practice. We have got a heck of a young quarterback. It is asking a lot out of him, but right now, we’re getting him ready to play.”

Peter King of SI.com, currently doing the “camp tour” thing, said Taylor is “better than you think” after watching him Tuesday.

“Confident-looking player. Rolled out today under pressure, threw a 15-yard dart, complete. Poised. Just liked what I saw,” King wrote.

We still anticipate the Ravens adding some sort of veteran to the mix.  Brodie Croyle may be the best veteran out there.

Permalink 23 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Home, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, St. Louis Rams
23 Responses to “Tyrod Taylor could wind up as Baltimore’s backup quarterback”
  1. eaglesfootballfan says: Aug 3, 2011 8:46 AM

That is a scary situation just thinking about it. A rookie backing up Joe Flacco.

2. timtheenchanter1 says: Aug 3, 2011 8:47 AM

If Flacco is down, Brodie Croyle probably won’t win you many more games than Taylor would. At that point you may as well just put in a jumbo formation, give the ball to Ray Rice, running behind Leach and try to move the rugby-scrum down the field a few yards at a time.

3. transam7816 says: Aug 3, 2011 8:53 AM

I remember watching path to the draft and felt so bad for this kid. He seems like a level headed kid. He also has a great arm. The only lock I have on him is that he looks short

4. minnesotablizzard says: Aug 3, 2011 8:56 AM

If Flacco goes down this season for extended time, bringing Favre in would make too much sense. The Ray Lewis/Ed Reed window is closing, you wouldn’t be able to rely on Tyrod Taylor.

5. grant444 says: Aug 3, 2011 9:43 AM

Let’s see: Flacco has played all 48 gms the last 3 seasons. Do you think that, just maybe, he will get sacked hard enough to miss a few gms sooner or later??? Good luck Joey.

6. thenotoriouskim says: Aug 3, 2011 9:44 AM

Flacco better hope he doesn’t go down. Tyrod is HUNGRY in a way Flacco never appears to be. Tyrod may not be Michael Vick yet, but anyone watched him in college knows he can turn nothing into a big something with his legs. Tyrod is a little shrimpy…Mike Vick, Drew Brees, Colt McCoy style. Move the pocket a lil’ and see what my boy can do! He made visible improvements in every college game and he is now impressing the experts (a.k.a. former haters). Bet on this up-side.

7. turgidsen says: Aug 3, 2011 9:45 AM

I am not VT fan which is where Tyrod Taylor played in college.However he is probably one the most intelligent QB’s in the draft. People were talking about him as a receiver in the pros because of his athletic ability. He is truly gifted leader and passer. I think he will suprise some people as a pro QB if given the chance.

8. redskinspike says: Aug 3, 2011 9:48 AM

transam7816 says:
    Aug 3, 2011 8:53 AM
    ———-

Tyrod is 6’1. People think that Tyrod is 5’9-5’10 but he’s a solid 6’1. If that’s “too short”, then tell that to Super Bowl MVP Drew Brees and Michael Vick that they’re too short at 6’0.

This kid can play. He broke records at Virginia Tech. His senior year, he set all of these records: career total offense, career passing yards, career rushing yards by a quarterback, career wins by a starting quarterback, career rushing touchdowns by a quarterback and touchdown passes in a season.

He threw 23 touchdowns with just 4 INTs.

2010 ACC Player of the Year, 2010 ACC Offensive Player of the Year, 2008 & 2010 ACC Championship Game MVP.

He deserves respect, and doesn’t get it. Ravens got a steal by getting him in the 6th round.

9. hokies34 says: Aug 3, 2011 10:05 AM

He’s gonna prove everyone wrong. He’s just as tall as mike vick and arguably his career at VT was better than vicks. I’m not saying he’s gonna tear up the league. But he’s gonna suprise alot of people. That is when he gets a chance to show what he can do on Sundays.

10. vadog says: Aug 3, 2011 10:16 AM

I watched a lot of Taylor at Virginia Tech! He has a strong, ACCURATE arm, has excellent control when outside the pocket, and he reads defenses very well. He does not have prototypical pocket quarterback size, like Flacco, yet, he was one of the best qb’s in ACC history!

In the pro’s he needs to work on touch passing and looking off receivers. Those things come with experience. He will be a fine NFL quarterbck if given the chance.

11. ahostiletakeover says: Aug 3, 2011 10:19 AM

Even without OTAs or minicamps, I think I’d rather have Tyrod as the backup over Brodie Croyle, dude showed absolutely nothing when he had chances in KC. Hell, I think I’d rather have Jake “turnover” Delhomme over Croyle. In any case, Peter King is one oof the few talking heads whose opinions I actually consider and if he is speaking well of Tyrod in practice, I think he’ll be fine as the #2 until the rosters start getting whittled down for the regular season.

12. turgidsen says: Aug 3, 2011 10:24 AM

———————————————————————————————————————–
    Actually Everything I saw he was better than Vick .Better leader, Better character , Better passer , Could make plays with his legs like Vick and very intelligent.

13. voiceofrealism says: Aug 3, 2011 10:35 AM

I guess they couldn’t get Waterpump Wilson.

14. docredskin says: Aug 3, 2011 10:43 AM

Yet another running QB that will get a shot at some point, make a few plays with his legs, then bitch and moan about wanting to start someplace, only to be exposed when he does. Troy Smith-ish.

15. bunkmcnulty says: Aug 3, 2011 10:47 AM

I hope all of you who watched Taylor play in colleg are right. I tend to think they will sign Bouman. He has been here before (familairity) and will be cheap. I’d rather have Bulger, but the Ravens are trying to fortify other areas (DE, WR, and secondary). Need Ngata’s deal worked out to create cap space. Ngata is franchised at present which kills the cap.

16. supashug says: Aug 3, 2011 10:55 AM

upside is they have 2 mil more for Osi now

17. qdog112 says: Aug 3, 2011 12:53 PM

Taylor is arguably the best QB in the draft not named Cam Newton. I watched him with interest for 4 years and he was the best the ACC had to offer. What these NFL guys are seeing is not an aberration. Tyrod may do to Flacco what he did to Troy Smith.

18. bmoreballbuster says: Aug 3, 2011 1:23 PM

If TT snaps the rock just once this year it’s one more time than Bulger did last year! This kid is definitely unpolished, but the closest thing I’ve seen to Vick. He’ll take over the reins when the Ravens are up by three scores at halftime. This was a “GOOD” thing, not a setback!

19. ravenmaniac1969 says: Aug 3, 2011 4:13 PM

You have got to be kidding? There goes Ozzie’s reputation for genius.

20. ravenmaniac1969 says: Aug 3, 2011 4:17 PM

It looks like too many people are drinking the purple kool-aid. I am a fan, but he Flacco gets hurt the season is in the tank. He looks good at practice, but it will be a lot different at full game speed.

21. steeltownpride says: Aug 3, 2011 6:17 PM

Ok im a huge VT fan . Here is a smart , strong arm kid . He has good speed and can be a little elusive when needed . I dont think he is better than Mike Vick was in college . Vick didnt play as much as Taylor did . Had Vick stayed the last 2 years of his eligibility his records wouldnt have been touched . Taylor will need a cpl of years to develop into something . Lets remember one thing . Its different going against Boise ST or Maryland . College players arent 6 3 250 of solid muscle and runs a 4.5 or better . its a different animal . Give him time to develop before you put him in a game against someone like the Jets , Steelers or Pats defense .

22. chazatlas says: Aug 4, 2011 4:48 AM

Even pre-season is going to be exciting this year. I’m psyched!

23. bunkmcnulty says: Aug 4, 2011 9:54 AM

@steeltownpride

I agree with your comments ultimately. While we root for rivals (depsite what Ryan Clark thinks), we actually can agree. But the only issue I take is that BigBen and Unibrow Joe both played in a smaller schools, with (theoretically) lesser talented players. While Ben has certainly been more successful, they have both transitioned well to the level of talent in the NFL very early in their careers. I can only hope Taylor is a good as all these posters say and does so as well. The Ravens don’t need Troy Smith 2.0.