“We want Orton” chants make Tony Sparano sick

Tony Sparano AP

Chad Henne has reached the point in his Dolphins career where the fans are irrationally impatient.

They boo him when he makes a bad throw in practice or when he makes a checkdown pass.  Most famously, the home crowd at training camp uncorked a “We want Orton!” chant on Monday night that was still ringing in coach Tony Sparano’s ears Wednesday when he was asked for a reaction.

“Beside the fact that it really makes me sick? That would be it,” Sparano said Wednesday via the South Florida Sun-Sentinel. “I think that when people come to the stadium like that in one of those kinds of events, OK, to support the Miami Dolphins, that what we should be thinking about. That’s what I think.”

If it makes Sparano feel any better, those same fans chanted for Brady Quinn not so long ago. So it’s fair to question their judgment in personnel.  The Dolphins coach doesn’t expect it to rattle his quarterback.

“I’m not worried about how it affects anybody. We’re all big boys here, OK,” he said. “I’m just talking about taking my team to the stadium, OK, in one of those situations and the reason why we did it, OK, and then to see that happen – it’s just disappointing to me.”

Permalink 108 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Miami Dolphins, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
108 Responses to ““We want Orton” chants make Tony Sparano sick”
  1. realnflmaster says: Aug 3, 2011 3:10 PM

What does this have to do with America’s Team, the Cowboys?

2. broncotis3000 says: Aug 3, 2011 3:10 PM

Hilarious!!!

3. ebenezergrymm says: Aug 3, 2011 3:12 PM

Well then maybe, OK, Tony Sparano, OK, should have thought about, OK, how bad his Qbs are, OK, and how the fans are not OK with that kind of stuff, OK?

4. cletusvandam says: Aug 3, 2011 3:12 PM

That’s funny, because watching Henne play makes Dolphins fans sick

5. blakeneyj says: Aug 3, 2011 3:13 PM

It is not going to happen now. Miami missed the boat on that one, and the Bronco’s are lucky they did.

6. trojanmaaaan says: Aug 3, 2011 3:14 PM

Get em Tony!! We can do w/out those crappy fans.

7. buhbay1c says: Aug 3, 2011 3:14 PM

OK

8. radrntn says: Aug 3, 2011 3:14 PM

will they could be saying “we want tebow”

9. lcdcac says: Aug 3, 2011 3:14 PM

I know Tony. Chad makes me sick too!

10. jonka says: Aug 3, 2011 3:14 PM

who remembers the dolphins owner comparing henne to marino?

so much for that superbowl prediction…….

11. nav711 says: Aug 3, 2011 3:14 PM

Dolphins fans call JETS fans classless and they were booing Henne in PRACTICE!!!!!
    Dolphins fans suck more than the team!!

12. touchdownsyndrome says: Aug 3, 2011 3:15 PM

This seems to be a far cry from last years headline at Broncos training camp “Orton hears a boo.”

13. jpmelon says: Aug 3, 2011 3:15 PM

lol….you can’t sign Matt Moore and expect your fans to be happy about it.

14. xerocc says: Aug 3, 2011 3:15 PM

You know things are bad when Kyle Orton is a much more desirable alternative.

15. steelers4385 says: Aug 3, 2011 3:15 PM

I dont blame dolphins fan. I really dont. Chad Henne is a scrub. Im not saying the guy doesnt work hard, but he sucks at QB. Some people have it some dont. Just the way the cookie crumbles.

16. everydayimfumbilin says: Aug 3, 2011 3:15 PM

tony sparano makes me sick

17. FinFan68 says: Aug 3, 2011 3:16 PM

Our fan base, like all others, have some inconsiderate morons. Orton is not better than Henne. Orton has more experience but Henne has a bigger upside. Henne had his issues last year but so did the rest of the offense. Marshall had several drops, Ricky put the ball on the turf in key situations, the o-line was sub-par; why did thes fans not single out anybody else? Stat lines do not tell the whole story and Henne is better than his stats show.

18. friendlylittletrees says: Aug 3, 2011 3:16 PM

That is OK, Tony. You make your fans sick every time they realize you are still somehow the Coach in Miami.

19. theglobalbrief says: Aug 3, 2011 3:16 PM

Yeah, every team has an idiot brigade of armchair GMs and ours just seem to want Kyle Orton. If you’re really dumb enough to think he is a savior of our team than you’re hopeless. Btw. How dumb is it to bring in QB so late in the already shortened offseason and expect them to learn an entirely new system? OC Brian Daboll even admitted he would only be able to install half of the playbook by Week 1 against New England. Oh thats right its really dumb.

20. maddenraiders says: Aug 3, 2011 3:16 PM

The only solution for Miami is to get a colored quarterback.

21. AlanSaysYo says: Aug 3, 2011 3:17 PM

This is coming from the guy who gave a speech about how Chad Pennington gave him the best chance to win and then had to throw Henne back into the game after three plays. Don’t pretend the disdain makes you sick, Tony… everyone already knows how you feel.

22. jtfins says: Aug 3, 2011 3:17 PM

You know what makes me sick? Field goals.

23. CKL says: Aug 3, 2011 3:17 PM

I don’t much care for Henne, but this is a side of fans that I loathe utterly. All fanbases have these type of fans and they all suck.
    And we will get the argument from those fans that OMGWTFBBQ!!!!!11!11 WEPAYTHEIRSALARIESZ!!111! And if it’s a regular season game and the guys are getting booed or the fans are yelling for the other QB or something, they will say WE PAY FOR THE TICKETS IT’S OUR RIGHT TO BOO. OR THEY MAKE SO MUCH MONEY TOUGH BEANS!!! And I will say yes, you are correct they make a lot of money and yes you have a right to do whatever you want that’s not against the rules, but it still STINKS.
    So BOOOOOOO to all of you who boo or scream for other players to go in. I am no blind homer but there’s probably only one thing that would make me boo my team: if I thought they were laying down/quitting. All they owe fans for their money is to play their hearts out and treat fans with respect in public encounters. PERIOD.

24. mightymightylafootball says: Aug 3, 2011 3:17 PM

Sparano’s opinion of Beck matters less than the fan’s opinion of Beck.

Give yourself a second to think about why…

25. touchdownroddywhite says: Aug 3, 2011 3:17 PM

It is rude, but Orton would be a tremendous upgrade over Henne.

26. rando74 says: Aug 3, 2011 3:18 PM

Too bad Miami. We’re keeping him. Tell you what, we’ll trade you Tim Tebow for an autographed LeBron James Basketball.

27. pleasantsurpriselefty says: Aug 3, 2011 3:18 PM

Sometimes the fans, using the eye test method, can make a valid judgment. Don’t think the coaches don’t see the same thing they just can’t do anything about it.

28. severs28 says: Aug 3, 2011 3:18 PM

Chad Henne is a Michigan Man. It takes more than a bunch of ignorant bandwagon football fans to rattle him.

29. sunnyd89 says: Aug 3, 2011 3:18 PM

Chad Henne really makes me sick

30. mmmpieyummy says: Aug 3, 2011 3:19 PM

You know what else makes him sick? Watching the Dolphin practice sessions…

31. phinfan54 says: Aug 3, 2011 3:20 PM

The fans may argue, “I paid my money so I can BOO if I want”. But really, this was the 4th practice with a new offensive system and the fans got in free. I can understand passion for your team, but wait awhile to pass judgment on THIS year’s team.

32. trbowman says: Aug 3, 2011 3:20 PM

Reminds me of last year when a Bills fan jeered Trent Edwards at training camp and Chan Gailey stood up for him.

Edwards was cut three games in the season.

33. berniemadoffsides says: Aug 3, 2011 3:20 PM

Say “OK” more, Sparano.

34. shaunymac424 says: Aug 3, 2011 3:21 PM

Ok, that was a lot of useless, ok, ok-ing. I don’t know what I think about the situation. I think if Henne can’t find some spark with all of the speed on the field this year, (Gates, Bush, Bess) mixed with the horses B. Marsh and Thomas, then there isn’t any hope for him. This will be the make or break season for him.

35. chobes68 says: Aug 3, 2011 3:21 PM

Going to be a long year in Miami, unless Reggie Bush becomes Eric Dickerson.

36. xsorethumbx says: Aug 3, 2011 3:22 PM

its fair to question Sporano’s judgement as well since he hired Dan Henning on his staff which stunted Henne’s development

37. originalevil says: Aug 3, 2011 3:23 PM

What ought to make him sick is the product that he has put out for those same fans, the ones who also buy tickets and Dolphins merchandise.

38. joemontanawasthegreatest says: Aug 3, 2011 3:23 PM

Horrible fans, horrible management. The class the robes & Shula exhibited are a distant memory.

39. broncobeta says: Aug 3, 2011 3:23 PM

I mean all the people who fund my salary, telling me I’m doing my job wrong, would make me feel sick too.

40. max says: Aug 3, 2011 3:23 PM

OK

41. duanethomas says: Aug 3, 2011 3:24 PM

Wait until he reviews the game film of Chad Henne.

42. joemontanawasthegreatest says: Aug 3, 2011 3:24 PM

Robbies

43. themightywhitey says: Aug 3, 2011 3:26 PM

so coach ……i guess you dont want the fans to “boo” when you guys stink up the field too ….but you want them to cheer otherwise …go back to being a line coach because you dont have it to be a head coach …or go pump gas

44. 1acrowskids says: Aug 3, 2011 3:26 PM

somebody’s gonna get wacked….oh thats soprano, my bad

45. baned0n says: Aug 3, 2011 3:27 PM

Ok to feel that way Tony, but probably shouldn’t say it. Never wise to insult your fan base. People that buy tickets, watch the games, and are generally responsible for your entire industry existing get to express whatever feelings they want to.

46. phinfan says: Aug 3, 2011 3:29 PM

Chad is a… OK player

47. rt1964 says: Aug 3, 2011 3:30 PM

You best man up, Coach Sparano. As a fan who attended the infamous “Sammie Sucks” game, I promise this training camp bleating doesn’t compare to real fan wrath.

And seriously, given the heat stroke risk we take to attend early season Dolphin practices and games, we have the right to be a bit surly, if not downright rude.

What should make you sick, Coach, is working for Steve Ross. Yeah, the $2,000,000 raise may have smoothed over the edges, but Ross is obviously a clueless, star-struck, idiot, who should stick to leveraged real estate deals.

48. JAM says: Aug 3, 2011 3:31 PM

Why is that countless other garbage QB’s have been given far longer to ‘pan out’ before the chants and blogosphere BS. Guys like Alex Smith, Kyle Boller, and Jamarcus Russell come to mind and they were all drafted higher I believe. Give the guy the first 6 games of the season under a more competent OC and let’s see what he does. Quit being so impatient and fickle Dolphins fans. Good for Tony to say something.

49. wheresmyjuice says: Aug 3, 2011 3:32 PM

Tony, it’s your fans telling you to go out and get another quarterback. Their happiness is what pays your salary big fella.

50. blastfurnaceknows says: Aug 3, 2011 3:33 PM

I think Tony should take solace in the fact that the Dolphins fan base is loaded with ignorant bandwagon-jumping, professed “know-it-alls” who probably are more informed about next week’s local garage sale than they are about football.

51. silvrwrx says: Aug 3, 2011 3:33 PM

i dont understand why people want Orton. he’s a product of josh Daniels system. Brady broke records in it (not taking anything from brady), cassel went 11-5 in it and he didnt even play before that season. orton couldn’t beat out rex Grossman in chicago. i just dont think hes a huge upgrade and itll cost more to get him.

52. dmitchell624 says: Aug 3, 2011 3:34 PM

I having trouble wit this comment:

Orton has more experience but Henne has a bigger upside.

If that were true, why did the Dolphins want Orton at all?

53. 202folife says: Aug 3, 2011 3:35 PM

If it makes you so sick Tony, then go out and make the trade for Orton happen. OK?

54. wyldsoul says: Aug 3, 2011 3:36 PM

Last year they were chanting “We want Jeff George!”

55. ibeshane says: Aug 3, 2011 3:36 PM

Could be worse Tony. You could still be a fat body like Rex Ryan. Kudos to you for making the right decision about your health…

56. hendeeze says: Aug 3, 2011 3:36 PM

If that made you sick how did you feel about Harbaugh? kek

57. deadeye says: Aug 3, 2011 3:37 PM

I have no problem making Sparano sick. His handling of the QB position has made me and all other Dolphin fans sick.

58. scubasteve4930 says: Aug 3, 2011 3:39 PM

Henne and Sanchez are 1 in the same

59. gdeli says: Aug 3, 2011 3:39 PM

Cause he knows their right. he team is doomed to fail and he will be fired. I said it.

60. wizahdry says: Aug 3, 2011 3:42 PM

Fins fans are so desperate for a decent qb they are going crazy for a mid-level talent like Orton!

61. cheesewhiz12 says: Aug 3, 2011 3:48 PM

How bad does you’re team have to be to chant “we want Orton”? That’s just embarrassing.

62. ampats says: Aug 3, 2011 3:49 PM

Sparano should understand. Similar to how Dolphin fans feel about his fist pumping coaching.

63. steel6times says: Aug 3, 2011 3:50 PM

At this time last year all Dolphins fans could talk about was Henne and how great he would be. LOL

64. shadowdolphin says: Aug 3, 2011 3:51 PM

Maybe a 1-7 home record last year makes the fans sick. I don’t think Orton was the sole answer in anyone’s mind but … Henne and Moore certainly won’t be keeping anyone in their seats for that fourth quarter comeback. The coach should defend his players. The coach should be smart enough not to get in a media war with the team’s fans. Most of all, he should head down the hall and get the GM off his butt to find a proven QB even if he isn’t a franchise player. I’m one Dolphin fan who doesn’t want to wait another year for a respectable offense.

65. dasportsninja says: Aug 3, 2011 3:52 PM

Miami would compete if they had a good QB. They have weapons all over the place. It sucks to be Bush, Bess or Marshall. Bottom line is they will win 5-6 games with current QB. Orton will upgrade 2-3 wins. Aaron Rogers….Now that is a playoff team, too bad that ain’t happening. They’d be better off blowing this thing up and hoping for Andrew Luck or MAtt Barkley next year.

66. greymares says: Aug 3, 2011 3:52 PM

at least they are not cheering, WE WANT FISHER, WE WANT FISHER !!!!!!

67. facebook.com/joesimmonscomic AKA Slow Joe (Bucs fan) says: Aug 3, 2011 3:59 PM

It’s spelled “okay”.

68. RexCanCoach says: Aug 3, 2011 4:02 PM

Booing Henne at practices means that the Dolphins fans actually care.

I did not believe that was true, now I do.

No disrespect but Fish management really screwed the pooch by not sending a 4 over to the Bronco’s a week ago, ugh.

69. notoriousbri says: Aug 3, 2011 4:03 PM

so i guess Sparano is , OK, with Orton as his ,OK, starting quarterback.. I dont know what is wrong with these ,OK, fans that are never satisfied with the job that the front office, OK, the job they try to do?

seriously who talks like that? OK?

70. madenatewell says: Aug 3, 2011 4:04 PM

This article was pretty OK

71. stixzidinia says: Aug 3, 2011 4:09 PM

Miami fans are to be disregarded. I have lived in all 4 corners of this country and have been through just about every state in this country. And as somebody now living in SoFla, Miami fans (and the local sports market in general) are by far the most fickle, bandwagon, least knowledgeable fans in the country by far. These clowns didn’t even acknowledge they had a football team until after they started 2-0. Before that it was all bandwagon Lebron/Heat talk 24/7. Then they climbed on board the Dolphins bandwagon for a couple weeks and then jumped right back off when the Phins lost a couple games.

And my God you should hear the callers on sports talk radio down here (like 790 The Ticket). It’s unbelievable how retarded these people are here. You don’t go to practice and boo. That’s classless. But that’s Miami fans for ya.

72. ilovefoolsball says: Aug 3, 2011 4:09 PM

Well at least Reggie Bush will finally get to see what it feels like to be on a team with a bad qb, tons of drama, and all the touches in the world.

Next year he’ll be begging the Saints to sign him for league minimum.

73. biggerballz says: Aug 3, 2011 4:15 PM

soprano is the worst coach in the nfl working for the dumbest owner in the league. enjoy your caveman dressed up as a qb

74. rethinklogic says: Aug 3, 2011 4:16 PM

Dolphin fans boo everytime Henne throws a checkdown or bad pass? The whole stadium must be hoarse

75. myopinionisrighterthanyours says: Aug 3, 2011 4:17 PM

@FinFan68:

Orton is not better than Henne. Really??? That’s like saying Joe Montana is not better than Trent Dilfer. Or, since you are a FinFan, Dan Marino is not better than Pat White (sorry, Mike).

76. descendency says: Aug 3, 2011 4:18 PM

Henne should be glad they aren’t chanting “We want Tebow”

77. dmiranda33157 says: Aug 3, 2011 4:18 PM

I think you have to give him a chance and see if he can prove all of us wrong until then give him a break.

78. phillyisinvading says: Aug 3, 2011 4:21 PM

I guess peter king was wrong about Chad Henne…

79. db3300 says: Aug 3, 2011 4:22 PM

In all the time I’ve spent on PFT, I never thought there would be a discussion on whether Orton or Henne was the better QB. Shouldn’t we be arguing over which one is worse?

80. link49 says: Aug 3, 2011 4:24 PM

Mr. Sparano:
    We the fans are waiting for the last 3 years that you “ex- Offensive Line Coach” fix the Dolphins Offensive Line…By the way could you tell me where you bought the title?, because you know about Offensive Line the same thing I know about astrology..nothing.. Remember last year you went to Senior Bowl draft J. Jones and today is working with the 3rd. string group.
    Also, when you and Ireland are going to stop pick-up all the garbage than the Cowboys throw out?

Oh, I remind you that, if the Philosophy about how to win games -Field Goal Approach- and win games in home no change , be ready soon to ear: We want Jon Gruden!!! We want Jon Gruden!!! We want Jon Gruden!!!

81. hobartbaker says: Aug 3, 2011 4:27 PM

Guess what the crowd will be chanting at Sparano in every city the Dolphins visit this year?

82. halo81 says: Aug 3, 2011 4:28 PM

But, but, but … Eagles fans booed McNabb!!!

83. sschmiggles says: Aug 3, 2011 4:29 PM

“It makes me sick. That’s why we went out and very publicly tried to trade for another franchise’s starting QB.”

84. ejmat2 says: Aug 3, 2011 4:29 PM

steelers4385 says:
    Aug 3, 2011 3:15 PM
    ———————————-
    Funny you should mention that as a Steeler fan. Didn’t that crummy QB have a great day against the Steelers last year and only due to one of the worst calls in NFL history did the Steelers beat the Fins?

I’m not saying I think Henne is a superstar by any means but if someone should not be picking on him it should be Steeler fans.

85. nineroutsider says: Aug 3, 2011 4:32 PM

Better to hear that in practice then to catch it unexpectedly at the home opener.

Which reminds me, I can’t wait to hear the standing O that Alex Smith receives at the home opener.

86. slippyal2 says: Aug 3, 2011 4:34 PM

Bills fans did something similar last year with Trent Edwards, the coach Gailey said they were all behind him. During the 4th week of the season they cut him.

87. bonniebengal says: Aug 3, 2011 4:35 PM

Disagree. Fans are historically known to (and expected to) be vocal when things are going wrong. Dolphins fans are doing their job.

88. souldogdave says: Aug 3, 2011 4:42 PM

Simply hilarious. Laugh out loud funny.Giggles keep slipping out…They have no quarterback.

89. imasturbate says: Aug 3, 2011 4:43 PM

When did Mr. Mackey become the head coach of the Dolphins?

“I’m not worried about how it affects anybody, mmm- kay? We’re all big boys here, mmm- kay?,”. “I’m just talking about taking my team to the stadium, mmm- kay?, in one of those situations and the reason why we did it, mmm- kay?, and then to see that happen – it’s just disappointing to me, mmm- kay?”

90. ezra954 says: Aug 3, 2011 4:45 PM

You know what makes me sick is the Dolphins in general and there lack of ambition and sense of pride in being stuck in football purgatory going nowhere not up or down just sideways please take Jason Taylor and Chad Henne and take a long walk off of a short peir

Ps Tony the only reason you have your job is because Harbaugh didn’t want it so watch it when you talk about the fans that let you stay in your seat as the Dolphins coach

91. georgeanderson2 says: Aug 3, 2011 4:49 PM

Don’t worry, Tony, the Dolphins won’t be your problem next season. Steve Ross has the keys to the organization ready for Bill Cowher.

What was the name of the QB when Michigan lost to a 1-AA program… oh yeah, Chad Henne. The guy needs more time to learn behind veterans, he is not a star, but might be okay as a backup in this league for many years.

92. rockymtnphinfan says: Aug 3, 2011 5:05 PM

After 2 seasons of 7-9 you make US sick too Tony

93. CKL says: Aug 3, 2011 5:06 PM

ezra954 says:
    Aug 3, 2011 4:45 PM

______________________________
    What exactly do the fans have to do with who coaches your team?
    Come on now.

94. uncleb3 says: Aug 3, 2011 5:14 PM

They learned it from their owner,who chanted – I want Jim Harbaugh!

95. tile84 says: Aug 3, 2011 5:34 PM

dolphins fans also didnt want ted ginn that day plus we wanted Matt Ryan over Long then give us our canes that we saw every sat and wanted(90′s 2000′s ) i think the fans in miami would be much better off if they where in control.

96. draftnewbie2010 says: Aug 3, 2011 5:43 PM

I wonder how effecttive it is to boo a player? I wonder if Henne will do better having fans boo him or chant for his replacement? Perhaps this strategy will work.

97. ezra954 says: Aug 3, 2011 5:50 PM

CKL says:
    Aug 3, 2011 5:06 PM

______________________________
    What exactly do the fans have to do with who coaches your team?
    Come on now.

well if they start boo birding Tony like they chantted “we want Orton” he will quit before he gets fired. I was there and atleast 3/4 ‘s of the fans that were there wanted Henne’s Head

what does it matter he will be gone at the end of the year unless he goes 18-0 with his Henne

98. etoharin78 says: Aug 3, 2011 6:08 PM

Are dolphins fans that desperate? Go watch the broncos 49ers game and watch how little effort Orton gave to recover his own fumble( looked like haynesworth when he laid down wiith nobody on top of him) . Please take orton, not because I want tebow, but because I want Luck!

99. thenmoveback says: Aug 3, 2011 6:20 PM

As a dolphins fan this makes me sick also. While I wasnt happy with Chad Henne’s performances last season, he is a young qb on a bad offensive team. Last season all dolphins fans saw bad play calling, bad Oline play, bad running, dropped passed, and not to forget our coach who has an orgasm when we kick a field goal. Chad deserves some of the blame but other player have to step up around him. If the coaching staff and fans would give this guy a little confidences maybe we could have won some of the close games we blew at the end. While I would like to see another qb on the team to compete with Chad (dont think matt moore is the answer) i think he deserves another shot.

100. North American Bowl says: Aug 3, 2011 6:21 PM

Kevin Kolb was perfect for the Fins….

101. dinplant says: Aug 3, 2011 7:10 PM

Just wait for us to chant Bill Cowher! Bill Cowher! Bill Cowher! by week 6.

102. shadowdolphin says: Aug 3, 2011 7:10 PM

Is our GM Ireland on vacation? This is ridiculous. Never mind Orton, nothing. What’s up Jeff????

103. 305fan says: Aug 3, 2011 7:32 PM

We should be chanting fire Ireland, and sell the franchise. We have become the laughing stock of the league under this ownership. Joe Robie is turning in his grave.

104. dmiranda33157 says: Aug 3, 2011 7:38 PM

Chad Henne’s performances last season, he is a young qb While I would like to see another qb on the team to compete with Chad (dont think matt moore is the answer) i think he deserves another shot and if he don’t make it next year they all be gone any way and will get another coach with a promise and dreams and we still have to wait another 3 or 4 year and nothing he’ll take the money and run like they all do.I hate it I’m disappointed And tired of this crap!!!

105. jpb12 says: Aug 3, 2011 8:41 PM

Way to warm up to the fans there Tony.
    That, and bringing Tiki Barber in already shows them you don’t care about the fans.

106. justentertainingthestupid says: Aug 3, 2011 9:58 PM

I think Henne is going to play well this year. I am glad people are doubting him. It’s just what he needs. Mark it down. Henne has a really good year.

107. bsizemore68 says: Aug 3, 2011 10:52 PM

We do have a colored QB, hes white, get over it. Bill

108. chazatlas says: Aug 4, 2011 4:14 AM

@maddenraiders
    “The only thing the Dolphins can do know is get a colored quarterback.” A “colored” quarterback? Wow, I thought most of you OLD school racists had died out with Strom Thurmond. What was it like to vote for a Dixiecrat as President back in 1948?