Report: NFL, NFLPA work out final details of new CBA

Goodell_Smith AP

Though it’s not clear who blinked on the question of whether NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell will retain exclusive control over the league’s personal conduct policy, it’s clear that something happened to push the matter to a resolution.

Mike Freeman of CBSSports.com reports that, late Wednesday night, the NFL and the NFLPA worked out the last remaining details of the new CBA.

Next up, the NFLPA representatives will explain the terms to players, who’ll vote at camp on Thursday.  Once at least 50 percent plus one of the players vote in favor of the deal, everyone will be able to practice as of 4:00 p.m. ET.

Permalink 42 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories, Union
42 Responses to “Report: NFL, NFLPA work out final details of new CBA”
  1. deadeye says: Aug 4, 2011 12:19 AM

Goodell blinked.

2. leftysmoke says: Aug 4, 2011 12:24 AM

I can’t believe it. They actually got it done without any bull. I highly doubt Goodell blinked. He made it pretty clear in his statement that he wasn’t going to blink.

I agree with him and think that if players don’t want to face the music, simply don’t get into trouble. Play football. After all, that’s what they are getting paid to do.

3. ebenezergrymm says: Aug 4, 2011 12:24 AM

Players blinked.

4. fonetiklee says: Aug 4, 2011 12:26 AM

God I just hope this nightmare is over. I don’t even care what the final terms over, I just want football.

5. iamgoodkid says: Aug 4, 2011 12:26 AM

no he did not!!!!!

6. iamgoodkid says: Aug 4, 2011 12:27 AM

i’ll believe this when i see it

7. iamgoodkid says: Aug 4, 2011 12:30 AM

haha he probably got my message when i said i was gonna send the powerpuff girls there haha that got him

8. laurinaitis4mvp55 says: Aug 4, 2011 12:30 AM

In your face Ryan Clark

9. realnflmaster says: Aug 4, 2011 12:31 AM

6-10 Filthadelphia eagirls, still 0 trophies.

13-3 for my holy savior and all my internal power and being Jesus Christ’s team, the DALLAS COWBOYS.

10. steelybills says: Aug 4, 2011 12:31 AM

Could this finally mean…NO MORE CBA POSTS FOR 10 YEARS!!!

11. egls7 says: Aug 4, 2011 12:35 AM

He didn’t blink

12. cincybert says: Aug 4, 2011 12:37 AM

Who cares who blinked? At least I don’t have to read about CBAs, lockouts, decertification shams, antitrust lawsuits or godda** Jeffrey Kessler, for the next 10 years. Unless, of course, I go to NBA.com or PBT.

13. sdw2001 says: Aug 4, 2011 12:43 AM

It’s called “If we don’t fix this, people will attack our HQ with torches and pitch forks.”

14. macjacmccoy says: Aug 4, 2011 12:47 AM

So pretty much they cant practice tomorrow. They arent allowed to have real practices twice a day and most teams run their real practices in the morning and even if they dont no team starts practice at 4pm.

15. ibleedblueandsliver says: Aug 4, 2011 12:58 AM

Woot glad its finally over for the next 7 years

16. rexryansdirtysock says: Aug 4, 2011 1:03 AM

This is good news, obviously. But I’m still confused.

Last week, wasn’t it reported that the Patriots unanimously voted to approve the new CBA? And wasn’t it presented by De Smith? So is anything really changing? Or are we just talking about nitty-gritty language here?

17. kmurph1226 says: Aug 4, 2011 1:07 AM

I know for sure the Eagles are happy.Now their 85 free agents can play at camp.

18. bravin4evr says: Aug 4, 2011 1:08 AM

It would make sense for Commissioner Goofball to blink since no one individual is bigger than the game/league.

19. 123makarov says: Aug 4, 2011 1:22 AM

Minutes after this was posted, Albert Breer of NFLN reported the sides were still negotiating final terms – at 1 AM EDT.

The thumbs up/down rating to the comments above prove the NFL obviously has a persona software package.

20. rlr79 says: Aug 4, 2011 1:27 AM

NFLPA blinked, Roger probably gave them some assurances but I would bet at the end of the day discipline will be his call.

21. mrclearview says: Aug 4, 2011 1:38 AM

Whoever blinked doesn’t really matter to me at this point. At least someone decided that enough is enough with this lockout stuff, and fans just want to get back to football. I don’t know about all of you, but I hope this is the last lockout related post I see on here for a very long time.

22. footballfanman says: Aug 4, 2011 1:44 AM

if they can’t practice till one eastern then essentially they can’t practice till Friday.

23. crabboil says: Aug 4, 2011 2:07 AM

Was this ever really an issue?

24. botchedextrapoint says: Aug 4, 2011 2:35 AM

An opportunity lost. Australian rules football moved to an independent tribunal for discipline over 15 years ago and it immediately took the sting out of these issues. A retired judge set it up and everybody knows the rules and penalties. There is the chance to accept the mandated penalty or to fight it before the tribunal if you think the rules have been incorrectly applied. There is also a right of appeal. It’s great for players, coaches and fans and the commissioner of the league keeps their nose out of an area where they often cause problems.

25. dondiezel says: Aug 4, 2011 2:35 AM

He better have blinked. Goodell as judge, jury & appeal is un-american.

26. phillychzstk2012 says: Aug 4, 2011 2:39 AM

whoop whoop

27. hanktheking says: Aug 4, 2011 2:43 AM

Just dumped out the last bucket of cold water.

28. GG Eden says: Aug 4, 2011 2:56 AM

Let it be Goodell, please.

My wild guess would be Goodell, just because of how quickly it was resolved, all it would take is one person (him) to back down.

29. tommccrossin says: Aug 4, 2011 3:29 AM

Yayy

Harrison headshots for everyone!

30. brownsfn says: Aug 4, 2011 4:19 AM

I sure hope the cry baby players didnt get their way again…

31. jshawaii22 says: Aug 4, 2011 5:18 AM

Blinked? I don’t know about that. I think Goodell will retain his control but probably gave in on the other items, whatever they were…

OK, it’s one vote for the Boss and one vote for the players….

AT worst, Goodell will allow one person, other than an NFL employee to sit in on each interview when the punishment is dished out, or they will go the a mandantory punishment, like the courts use. — ie: one game for first DUI, 3 games for #2, 1 game for beating one’s ho, you know the typical stuff.

js

32. patpatriotagain says: Aug 4, 2011 5:43 AM

hoping

33. bleedblue18 says: Aug 4, 2011 6:06 AM

I don’t mind that Goodell has power over penaltys for the conduct policy, but having exclusive power over the appeals process is just stupid.
    Might as well not even have a appeals process.

34. kevsright says: Aug 4, 2011 6:14 AM

Please tell us they included a Moral Turpitude clause, effectively banning Bad Newz Vick from the league! :idea:

35. eagleswin says: Aug 4, 2011 6:17 AM

deadeye says:
    Aug 4, 2011 12:19 AM
    Goodell blinked.

————————

Or the NFLPA did. Let’s wait until we hear the details before making judgements.

36. rgwhodey says: Aug 4, 2011 6:30 AM

Sorry Harrison your gonna continue to get fined.until you can learn to not play dirty..

37. chatham10 says: Aug 4, 2011 6:43 AM

The players union must have approved this. Goodell is like any top boss and if you screw up off the field or off the job he like any other CEO will come down on them unlike a real job where the person would get fired.

38. imopen7 says: Aug 4, 2011 7:07 AM

Round 2 work stoppage a’ coming if GODdell didnt give it up. Stand by……………………………

39. zoxitic says: Aug 4, 2011 7:42 AM

Is the rumor true that Roger will be handing out gold stars to players with good behavior?

40. southcakpanther says: Aug 4, 2011 8:41 AM

Thanks. Now can we please get our newly signed free agents onto the practice field please?

41. depotnator says: Aug 4, 2011 8:48 AM

So PFT declares that Mike Freeman is the ultimate authority on this matter…

42. tlaw21 says: Aug 4, 2011 2:09 PM

@realnflmaster

Since your bringin religion in this subject I thought the fact that you have that opening in the roof in that stadium is so God could sit down and take a nice old healthy dump whenever he needs to?