Dolphins fans chant “We want Henne”

C. Henne2 AP

After Tony Sparano was sickened and Chad Henne was saddened by Dolphins fans chanting for Kyle Orton, a group of Dolphins fans turned out to Thursday’s practice to support Henne.

All indications are that the fans who want the Dolphins to acquire Orton in a trade with the Broncos are the majority, and the “We want Henne” chants came from a minority. But the fact reamins that a trade is highly unlikely and Henne is probably the Dolphins’ Week One starter. The fans supporting him may have decided to love the one they’re with.

Permalink 55 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Miami Dolphins, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
55 Responses to “Dolphins fans chant “We want Henne””
  1. stevemo says: Aug 5, 2011 7:39 AM

7/10, 136 1 TD in 11v11 last night. Not bad against the stout Miami defense, but of course only practice.

The most important thing is Henne has been moving around when things have broken down and is making plays. That has been a major problem with his game as when the pocket breaks down, Henne usually does too.

2. flyinhighwithvick says: Aug 5, 2011 7:43 AM

Make up your mind Miami.

3. jimmymcnultysbottleofjameson says: Aug 5, 2011 7:43 AM

Aww Chad are you sad you didn’t get invited to my wedding? Well let me hand deliver you an invitation to make you feel better.

4. conseannery says: Aug 5, 2011 7:43 AM

We will rally around Kurt Warner Chad Henne, and we will play good football.

5. scudbot says: Aug 5, 2011 7:44 AM

Welcome to fourth grade. No gum chewing or running in the halls.

6. deanvernonwormer says: Aug 5, 2011 7:47 AM

These Miami fans better do something to improve morale around here. The Dolphins are headed for a 6 win season (tops). And that’s with Orton! LOL

7. dumbasdirt says: Aug 5, 2011 7:48 AM

The Dolphins organization and some of their fans are an enigma surrounded by a riddle wrapped inside of a mystery.

8. lostsok says: Aug 5, 2011 7:48 AM

Good for them! Bravo and three cheers for the REAL fans showing up (finally)!

9. eaglesfootballfan says: Aug 5, 2011 7:53 AM

Tony Sparano better hope he works out. His Job is on the line.

10. therealsmiley says: Aug 5, 2011 7:53 AM

Chanting for Orton during practice showed no class. No wonder some of these players don’t like fans. Hail!!

11. MichaelEdits says: Aug 5, 2011 7:56 AM

We want Favre. We want Favre.

(I’m trying to set a thumbs-down record. I’ll even give myself one.)

12. ranadicus says: Aug 5, 2011 7:58 AM

“Maybe it was the support from fans, or maybe it was the competition from fellow quarterback Matt Moore practicing with the Dolphins for the first time, but Henne reportedly had his best practice of training camp so far.”

Or maybe Henne actually has talent and just had a tough second year last season.

13. cheezysmegma says: Aug 5, 2011 8:01 AM

No, I think it was “we want Heineken.” The vendors were only selling Bud and Bud Light. Get the facts straight next time!

14. phintasm says: Aug 5, 2011 8:02 AM

“Maybe it was the support from fans, or maybe it was the competition from fellow quarterback Matt Moore practicing with the Dolphins for the first time, but Henne reportedly had his best practice of training camp so far”

Really? Or, maybe, just maybe, it’s the 5th practice with a new OC and revamped system and Henne’s getting more comfortable (and his receivers are holding onto the ball, which they haven’t been doing very well in the earlier practice sessions).

15. tdk24 says: Aug 5, 2011 8:04 AM

Nobody ever accused Fins fans of being smart.

16. mightymightylafootball says: Aug 5, 2011 8:12 AM

What the hell is going on in with that club? Is that place run my friggin’ monkeys?

Somewhere, Don Shula is shaking his head….

17. bigvinnyinjax says: Aug 5, 2011 8:13 AM

And with this turn of events Henne is now officially the biggest crybaby/wimp in all of Pro Football. At least until Jay Cutler gets a hangnail.

18. jay98 says: Aug 5, 2011 8:14 AM

Miami needs to quit playing and sign Troy Smith.

I know a lot of people seem to not like the guy, but he did show how fast he picks up an offense after being picked-up by the 49ers the 1st week of the season and unseating Alex Smith and doing a pretty decent job considering the coaching staff and the OC change in the middle of the season.

19. MVQB7 says: Aug 5, 2011 8:26 AM

They will be chanting we want Luck, Jones or Barkley at the 2012 draft. Orton is worth a 3rd rounder.

20. ezra954 says: Aug 5, 2011 8:27 AM

Welcome to 7-9 again allllll riggghhht Miami

21. daburgher says: Aug 5, 2011 8:27 AM

Miami is a terrible place

22. ampats says: Aug 5, 2011 8:29 AM

We Want Henne, translation: We Want To Draft Luck

23. dolphindad says: Aug 5, 2011 8:36 AM

“All indications are that the fans who want the Dolphins to acquire Orton in a trade with the Broncos are the majority, and the “We want Henne” chants came from a minority.

what indications??? you mean you are guessing that way because it makes a better story for you to keep talking about.

24. pacash80 says: Aug 5, 2011 8:36 AM

Henne could use a little support from fans. Isn’t that, you know, what fans are for?

25. hnirobert3 says: Aug 5, 2011 8:41 AM

I’m sure Chad shed tears of happiness afterwards.

26. hooockey says: Aug 5, 2011 8:41 AM

Maybe Andrew Luck will finally replace Dan Marino next year.

27. dolphan13 says: Aug 5, 2011 8:42 AM

I was at the practice and Henne made some pro-bowl throws. Give the guy a break! He has started only about 18 games in his career. Sometimes it takes more than 2 seasons for everything to slow down and for a young qb to develop. He has all the tools. He just needs some patience and time to develop. We have a championship defense and if the offense is just average this year we could have a 9-7, 10-6 year. We solidified the o-line, with Marshall, Bess, Camario, Bush, D. Thomas and the speedster Gates.. we my surprise a few people.

28. dolphan13 says: Aug 5, 2011 8:44 AM

Before all the haters come out I meant Fasano NOT Camario

29. dspyank2k11 says: Aug 5, 2011 8:45 AM

The heading should read:

“Now that Orton isnt in the fold; Dolphins fans chant “We want Henne”

30. rockymtnphinfan says: Aug 5, 2011 8:55 AM

I am pretty sure they were chanting “Henning, Henning”, you know- the white haired Offensive coordinator that missed the meeting in 1995 where they changed the rules of football to basically make the NFL a passing league. Yeh he never got that memo. Three yards and a cloud dust baby, good riddens. Welcome Brian Daboll.

31. kidzaround says: Aug 5, 2011 8:57 AM

Maybe the Fins fans had heard that the Dolphins coach had been asked a question about Brett Favre (igniting a ridiculous fire storm of Favre’s going to Miami) and decided that Henne is much better than having B.F. drama.

Wise choice.

32. rubicon202 says: Aug 5, 2011 8:59 AM

OMG! Are there any real football players left, just read and left a reply about Tebow…the Dolphin fans should have got him a McD’s happy meal and a I’m sorry card…what a joke, how can you take a team serious with those colors anyway?

33. southbeachtalent says: Aug 5, 2011 9:14 AM

I guess that’s a good thing.

34. therupe96011 says: Aug 5, 2011 9:18 AM

THAT WASN’T FANS CHANTING FOR HENNE, IT WAS HIS MOM AND A FEW OTHER FAMILY MEMBERS. HE CRIED HIMSELF TO SLEEP THE NIGHT BEFORE AND SHE WANT’S HIM RESTED FOR PRACTICE!!

35. jessieboom says: Aug 5, 2011 9:18 AM

Good job fans. I’m not completely sold that Henne will turn it around this year, but you just don’t boo your guy at practice. Not cool.

How can fans expect a player to play well, when fans can’t even cheer correctly?

36. drunkendegenerate says: Aug 5, 2011 9:19 AM

“A group of fans chanted “We want Henne” before practice, giving their own response to the “We want Orton” chants that other Dolphins fans have made.”

and that group of fans consisted of Jets, Patriots and Bills backers.

37. andyreidisfat says: Aug 5, 2011 9:20 AM

I love how the “Big network” and its “insiders” (who are like 2-7 million as far as predictions and saying people are going wherever this offseason) are talking about Orton like he was on a winning team last year. Maybe its just me but wasn’t Tebow a winning QB last year and Orton waaaaay not.

Maybe its just me but i’ll take the winner over the guy who looks great in practice.

I always hated when people knocked McNabb when he was here because he rarely put up stats. The guy won A LOT. Isn’t that what matters in the end. In fact for all those Fins fans who want Orton soooo bad. I think Henne has more WINS than he does over the last two years. And imo the Broncos have been better team top to bottom.

I’ll tell you what dolphins fans the Eagles will be glad to give ou Young for a 1st round pick this year and a First next as well. I figure this is the team that gave us a 2nd for Aj “touchy” Feely a few years back. Why not first for Young !

38. dallasbaby says: Aug 5, 2011 9:22 AM

The follow-up article to this will be about Orton’s hurt feelings and how he an Tebow are drowning their sorrows in a bottle of Southern Comfort and Sex and the City reruns.

39. gonzagylot00 says: Aug 5, 2011 9:30 AM

Just Cringe-worthy.

If I were Henne, I’d be utterly embarassed.

This reminds me of the 5th grade, when everyone ignored my birthday for the cooler kid’s birthday, and I cried.

The next day the teacher threw me an extra-special party, all for myself.

Everyone knew it was a crock, but played along to help my feelings.

I was in 5th grade, what’s Henne’s excuse?

40. ibeshane says: Aug 5, 2011 9:31 AM

Thanks for being the better man/person Chad. A true leader will set the example for others to emulate. Now get in there and win some football games!

41. yadaddy1 says: Aug 5, 2011 9:33 AM

And I Chant “I WANT HENNY”

42. firemarshal1 says: Aug 5, 2011 9:37 AM

To All Dolphins Fans: I’m not a big fan of Chad Henne, but Ross Tucker from Sirius Satellite Radio brought up some excellent points of why the Miami Dolphins are better off sticking with Chad Henne. I agree with Ross Tucker, Dolphins fans we need to support Henne. Give Chad a chance. Did he have an Offensive line? No, only one starting Offensive lineman played the entire year. The Running Backs were very average at best, if not poor. Wide receivers were all injured with the exception of Davone Bess. Again, a QB needs a supporting cast. Even a QB like Manning or Brady, still need an Offensive line, WR’s, and a decent RB. Let’s just shut up and support our QB, Chad Henne. Dolphins #1

43. nahcouldntbethat says: Aug 5, 2011 9:39 AM

This is going to get really ugly if the Fins don’t start well or stumble in midseason. The big loser isn’t going to be Henne if that happens it’s going to be Sparano.

I can’t figure out what’s going on here. Henne was a good QB prospect until Parcells decided he wasn’t progressing in the 2010 offseason and since then he’s gone straight downhill?

That’s not the usual Parcells progression. Something else has to be going on here. Henne can’t have gone retrograde that fast without something else getting in the way.

44. destructicus says: Aug 5, 2011 9:52 AM

Henne’s our guy, and that’s the best thing for us this year.

What a lot of the (ignorant) people who booed Henne aren’t aware of, is that performers perform best with positive energy from the crowd.

Do they think Mick Jagger was able to strut around captivating an entire stadium while being booed?

Nobody plays well when the people who are there supposedly to support you turn on you.

45. jay98 says: Aug 5, 2011 9:52 AM

I don’t know if any of you Dolphin fans or shall I say Henne fans, has ever really watched him at Michigan. He stunk it up there too. I don’t like to bash, but really he was not that good in college. Hell he led the Michigan team that lost to Appalachian St. so go figure.

46. bigvinnyinjax says: Aug 5, 2011 10:06 AM

@gonzagylot00 best post ever about the belated birthday party. That is EXACTLY what this is like.

It’s kind of like when a kid gets praised for good grades and then the grandparents turn to the dumb sibling and say, “oh, you’re smart too, honey.”

47. ezra954 says: Aug 5, 2011 10:07 AM

Oh and lol it’s a hanging Chad

48. pistolsmoke says: Aug 5, 2011 10:20 AM

“We Want Football!” Should be the only chant right now. Yes I know it’s back, but bring on the actual games!! I’m so pumped!

49. iamthorny says: Aug 5, 2011 10:25 AM

I think it’s nice his family and friends could attend a practice…

50. bigvinnyinjax says: Aug 5, 2011 10:39 AM

Anyone remember the Hard Knocks Cincinatti where the kid walks up to Jordan Palmer to get his autograph thinking it’s Carson and goes, “oh wait, he’s not a star!” And his dad replies, “oh, he’s a star too…..”

That’s what this feels like. We love you too Chad. Please stop crying and come play with us again.

51. ruggerlad says: Aug 5, 2011 10:42 AM

Every die hard Dolphins fan knows Henne deserves this year to be starter. He worked under a very predictable co-ordinator which works great if you have all the right pieces, his interior o-line was garbage and could not or did not pull for screen passes, the run game didn’t exist, he had no seam stretcher at TE or pure speed WR to really stretch D’s. Henne was handled very poorly last season. Henne is not the top QB in the league but he can be very good if he’s handled better this year and the playbook works to his strengths and not Pennington’s.

52. ruggerlad says: Aug 5, 2011 10:46 AM

I still think he has more talent than Sanchez but was handled worse, this year will be different!

53. agelardi says: Aug 5, 2011 10:51 AM

They obviously didn’t get the full quote. Fans chanted “We want Henne… to do better”.

54. wez99 says: Aug 5, 2011 1:25 PM

As a Miami dolphin fan, I was very embarrassed for my team and the fans for the fans chanting for orton, yes orton is a solid QB, but henne has yet to really show what he has to offer, the offensive line was not solid, but that wasn’t the major problem, major problem was henning, the OC, he never had aggressive play calling, I think the deepest routes we ever had were 20 yards deep, that’s not going to spread a defensive, and we were running on 3rd & 12… Who would run a draw on 3rd&12??? Maybe 3rd&6 or around there but not 3rd and double digits!! I have faith in henne, but this year he has weapons and a more aggressive playcalling, if he doesn’t perform this year, he will be done

55. jmbresky says: Aug 5, 2011 6:54 PM

So the Dolphins actually paid fans to chant for Henne during practices?