Haynesworth crash victim isn’t “in the past”

Albert Haynesworth AP

After defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth joined the Patriots, he awarded himself a clean slate.  “Everything is in the past,” Haynesworth said.  “Right now, I’m just concentrating on being just a great player for this organization.”

The man who claims he is disabled due to Haynesworth’s reckless driving begs to differ.

“I saw that on TV,” Corey Edmondson told Laurel J. Sweet of the Boston Herald.  “It’s really messed up.  I’m still here and not in the past.”

Edmondson was injured when the car he was driving collided with Haynesworth’s speeding (allegedly) Ferrari on December 13, 2008.  According to Edmondson’s lawyer, Edmondson has had multiple surgeries for a broken pelvis and leg, that he has left his parents’ home only twice this year, and that he can’t stand for more than five minutes at a time.

“I guess there are bad apples in about everything,” Edmondson said.  “He hasn’t owned up to the wreck — never accepted it was his fault.”

Someone else (a jury) may do it for Haynesworth.  Edmondson’s lawsuit is scheduled to go to trial on March 19, 2012.

Haynesworth’s lawyer, as lawyers often do, took up for his client.  “[Haynesworth] certainly feels bad that Mr. Edmondson was injured in the accident,” Phil Elbert told the Herald.  “Albert Haynesworth is a great guy.  He’s a really decent human being.  Mr. Haynesworth would like to resolve this if any reasonable kind of accommodation can be reached.”

And in virtually the same breath, Elbert cast doubt, as lawyers often do, on Edmondson’s claims.  Elbert says it had “snowed the night before,” that Haynesworth was driving the speed limit, that the Ferrari apparently hit black ice and fishtailed, and that the Ferrari sustained only “fender-bender damage.”

That last assertion is a subtle dig at the legitimacy of Edmondson’s alleged injuries.  The implied point is that, if the Ferrari was barely damaged, Edmondson couldn’t have actually suffered serious harm.

In this case, it appears that Edmondon suffered the injuries not when his car was struck by Haynesworth’s but when Edmondson’s car careened into a concrete barrier.

Either way, Edmondson isn’t in the past.  No matter how badly Haynesworth wishes that he were.

Permalink 65 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New England Patriots, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
65 Responses to “Haynesworth crash victim isn’t “in the past””
  1. MichaelEdits says: Aug 5, 2011 10:34 AM

If the guy isn’t crippled, wouldn’t Haynesworth’s people hire some shady character to take photos of him cutting grass or something? I was paid to do that work — once — by a buddy who was getting sued.

In other words, I don’t believe Haynesworth and neither does anybody else reading this.

2. austrianpanther says: Aug 5, 2011 10:34 AM

Will someone please tell Fat Albert to shut his mouth?!??

3. joelvis72 says: Aug 5, 2011 10:34 AM

Written like a true lawyer. But Haynesworth is still a turd.

4. philwauke says: Aug 5, 2011 10:35 AM

Not a haynesworth fan but even i know he was referring to football and not this accident.

5. moelester says: Aug 5, 2011 10:36 AM

“Albert Haynesworth is a great guy.  He’s a really decent human being.” ha ha ha ha! Freaky Friday indeed!!!

6. mpjets says: Aug 5, 2011 10:36 AM

this guy is cancer. you thought the randy moss show was bad last yr..cant wait for this slob to get the boot by week 8.

7. aaronp2098 says: Aug 5, 2011 10:37 AM

I have a feeling by the time they make Albert pay up he will have spent every dime of what he made…

8. realnflmaster says: Aug 5, 2011 10:37 AM

Hey FILTHadelphia!

How’s the empty trophy case and two brutal beatings back to the back from the Dallas Cowboys in Week 17 and in the Wild Card round of the playoffs?

ahahahahah

9. kidzaround says: Aug 5, 2011 10:38 AM

It doesn’t matter if Haynesworth’s car was hardly damaged. If Hanesworth’s car caused the other guys car to careen into the concrete barrier, IT”S STILL HANESWORTH’S FAULT.

Say I have a baseball bat and I smash it into someone’s face. Now, would I be able to say it wasn’t my fault the guy’s face is caved in because my bat didn’t suffer that much damage?

10. wwwfella says: Aug 5, 2011 10:38 AM

How in the hell can he fit in a Ferrari?

11. holdthemayo123 says: Aug 5, 2011 10:38 AM

Was he charged criminally in this? Article doesn’t state, so I’ll assume that to be a no.

12. renaissanceman6 says: Aug 5, 2011 10:39 AM

who cares about this? 1. he was taking about a clean slate with football, idiot looking for a Buck. 2. who cares anyways?

13. uclabruininstlouis says: Aug 5, 2011 10:42 AM

Being in the medical field, I have a modicum of experience with greasy lawyers. Albert’s is no different; no different at all.

14. touchdownroddywhite says: Aug 5, 2011 10:42 AM

Wow. Just wow. Haynesworth is finishing up a 100 mil contract that’s he has received almost half of, and his lawyer wants to say things like, “Mr. Haynesworth would like to resolve this if any reasonable kind of accommodation can be reached.”

Throw the guy 2 mil and be done with it. Any thing less, is just incivilized.

Plus no jury in America who knows anything about you Mr. Haynesworth will side with you so it is likely in your best interest to settle.

15. mmmpieyummy says: Aug 5, 2011 10:45 AM

It doesn’t matter how damaged the Ferrari was…there is some serious momentum created by 400 pounds of pure fat behind the wheel of a car.

16. touchdownsyndrome says: Aug 5, 2011 10:49 AM

Haynesworth reportedly stayed at the scene of the accident waiting for the authorities while making an evil grimace, swaying back and forth.

17. 7to10for6allday says: Aug 5, 2011 10:50 AM

How died he fit in a Ferrari??

18. thompgk says: Aug 5, 2011 10:52 AM

Albert Haynesworth may be the worst person to ever play in the NFL.

19. bennyd720 says: Aug 5, 2011 10:56 AM

Who’s fault did the Cops say it was? Is this is a criminal or civil trial; and I agree, how the hell did he even fit in a Ferrari?

20. skins23 says: Aug 5, 2011 10:56 AM

Thanks for the draft pick Pats. Can’t wait till he’s on the bench by week 2.

21. solidmarine says: Aug 5, 2011 10:56 AM

As a pretty diehard Pats fan, I’m going to have a really hard time rooting for this guy to do anything other than get cut by trade deadline.

22. flagstaffphotos says: Aug 5, 2011 10:59 AM

At least Haynesworth has moved to the right city. After a couple of brief reports like this one, the Boston media compliantly covered up Randy Moss’s little “nudge” of a traffic officer with his Mercedes. Imagine if Haynesworth was a Jet – he would get hounded mercilessly by the New York press over this incident. Patriot players have it much easier than Jet players.

23. mikenj says: Aug 5, 2011 11:01 AM

he crashed into him in 2008 and his trial isn’t until march 2012? the wheels of justice are getting really really slow.

24. deddmunnie says: Aug 5, 2011 11:03 AM

I didn’t know Ferrari made a dump truck? Hmmm.

25. straw33 says: Aug 5, 2011 11:03 AM

If it snowed the night before, why was he driving a ferrari? Surely he has an SUV in the garage.

26. pacash80 says: Aug 5, 2011 11:05 AM

As NFL fans, we all have different teams we root for, different opinions on certain issues, ect.

But we can all agree on one thing: Fat Albert is a punk.

27. eaglesfan290 says: Aug 5, 2011 11:08 AM

How does Haynesworth fit in a ferrari?

28. voiceofrealism says: Aug 5, 2011 11:09 AM

won’t have to pay anything. the insurance will pay for it(if he had insurance)

29. andyb053 says: Aug 5, 2011 11:12 AM

——————————————–

I have been laughing non-stop for the last 15 minutes over this comment.

30. thephantomstranger says: Aug 5, 2011 11:12 AM

“Albert Haynesworth is a great guy. He’s a really decent human being.”

Only a lawyer could think that.

31. andyreidisfat says: Aug 5, 2011 11:13 AM

realnflmaster says:
    Aug 5, 2011 10:37 AM
    Hey FILTHadelphia!

ahahahahah

Hey Dallas ………How does it feel to be the third best football team in your state ?

Anyway, back to the news at hand. I also like other posters believe that Fat Al was talking about football. He is a human after all and probably does care about the guy and i’m guessing feels bad. What is he supposed to do give the guy 50 mill ??? I’m guessing the guy not leaving his parents house has less to do with injuries and more to do with the fact that HE LIVES AT HIS PARENTS HOUSE. I tend to be cautious when it comes to rich guys getting sued for injuries from anything. Americans will do pretty much anything for a buck, except work.

32. indianheadmeatpackingcompany says: Aug 5, 2011 11:14 AM

realnflmaster says:
    Aug 5, 2011 10:37 AM
    Hey FILTHadelphia!

————————————————–

Hey Dallas fan, how was the 34-3 beat down by the Vikings the week after the Philly game? You remember, the game your pathetic little players cried about the score.

33. tombradysbaby says: Aug 5, 2011 11:28 AM

it has nothing to do with football….. Not like he raped the guy and broke his leg, and no DUI or anything illegal.

34. jimmymcnultysbottleofjameson says: Aug 5, 2011 11:29 AM

@wwwfella,

“How in the hell can he fit in a Ferrari?”

No kidding right?!! I’m 6’4″ 220 and can’t even move my left leg to get the clutch down in a Dodge Viper.. never been in an Italian but I imagine it’s not much different.

35. thephantomstranger says: Aug 5, 2011 11:32 AM

Coincidentally, Bob Nelson Jr. has only left his parents’ house twice this year too.

36. depotnator says: Aug 5, 2011 11:36 AM

That was the hardest hit for Fat Albert since 2008.

37. dempsey63 says: Aug 5, 2011 11:40 AM

It’s too bad that Albert Haynesworth and Leonard Little didn’t run into one another on their way to the Darwin Awards.

38. mumfio says: Aug 5, 2011 11:41 AM

Obviously Haynesworth was talking about “everything being in past” meaning football related issues with the Redskins last year. He was interviewed for football reasons because he was just signed by the Pats. It had nothing to do with his personal issues.

39. laiddogg93 says: Aug 5, 2011 11:53 AM

I know Corey and he is a real good guy. He had his own cleaning company and could get around fine back when I knew him. I hate to hear that he can’t get around good or stand for long anymore. I hope everything works out for you Corey.

Brad C.

40. realistik84 says: Aug 5, 2011 11:58 AM

“He’s a really decent human being”….when he is not smashing someone’s face in with his Cleats or wrecking people’s live with wreckless driving.

41. paintan8 says: Aug 5, 2011 11:59 AM

solidmarine says:
    Aug 5, 2011 10:56 AM

Don’t worry. By all accounts, he showed up fat, out of shape, and is already showing signs of disinterest. The first time he sits reading the newspaper or texting during a team meeting, Bill will get rid of him. I doubt he plays a down in NE. Plus, his sexual harassment trial comes up in 2 1/2 weeks. If he settles or is found guilty, you can bet a suspension is coming from Gingerboy.

42. rockngoodtime says: Aug 5, 2011 12:04 PM

I’m pretty sure Rae Carruth qualifies as the worst person to ever play in the NFL.

43. paintan8 says: Aug 5, 2011 12:07 PM

@andyreidisfat

“I’m guessing the guy not leaving his parents house has less to do with injuries and more to do with the fact that HE LIVES AT HIS PARENTS HOUSE.”

People like you are what is wrong with this site. I hope karma catches up with you someday but no one is there to take care of you if something happens.

44. j0esixpack says: Aug 5, 2011 12:08 PM

“Albert Haynesworth is a great guy.”

I’m sure he is, aside from assaults, stomping on players, impregnating strippers, defaulting on loans, and refusing to play for his previous team.

As they say, “Aside from that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?”

If Haynesworth really IS a great guy, a nice time to start showing that will be to work hard and be a model citizen in New England.

45. rc33 says: Aug 5, 2011 12:09 PM

My faith in fellow man is non-existant when the “other guy” in the incident has money. We live in a take advantage, litigious society.
    A woman has consensual sex one night, the next day she realizes it was with a Kennedy family member and boom…a sexual assault allegation.

Haynesworth might be guilty as implicated and eventually this’ll all come out in the wash. I also think all a guy has to do nowadays is see that a Ferrari’s the other automobile and the dollar signs immediately start churning.

46. kidzaround says: Aug 5, 2011 12:25 PM

andyreidisfat says:

————————————

I’m pretty sure if YOU had been injured like this guy was you’d have a problem living on your own. Imagine, you lose your job, your sense of direction, and the ability to walk!! I’m sure Fat Albert says something like “I’m sorry you can’t walk dude. Here’s some loose change. Gotta go.”

47. jcpbuzz says: Aug 5, 2011 12:28 PM

I want to see a picture of his huge 400 lb ass stuffed into a Ferrari like a sardine before I believe this is true. Tell the jury that…

“The defendant clearly has size issues. I argue he is not capable of fitting into anything other than a cargo van.”

NOT GUILTY!!!

48. cubano76 says: Aug 5, 2011 12:30 PM

Since when in the hell does Ferrari make SUV’s?

49. jbcommonsense says: Aug 5, 2011 12:31 PM

I feel sorry for this scumbag’s lawyer. How can he tell reporter’s AH is ”a really decent human being” without dying a little inside?

50. bpfpft says: Aug 5, 2011 12:36 PM

This is a civil suit not a criminal suit. This was an unfortunate accident I don’t think it’s a definite that Haynesworth was to blame, that’s why no criminal action was brought. Although the standard of proof is easier in civil suits it’s called “preponderance of the evidence,” which is enough evidence to conclude that it is more likely than not that the victim’s claims are true, I still feel like in the end the parties will settle because it’s not a slam dunk for the plaintiffs here. If it snowed the night before and there is a chance that there was black ice and that Haynesworth was going the 70 mph speed limit then there’s a chance the defendant will win.

Haynesworth seems like he’s intelligent, I watched his interview on Pats website, but he’s certainly made a lot of mistakes in his life. Hopefully he can put these behind him and become a better man.

51. trollhammer20 says: Aug 5, 2011 12:42 PM

From the article about the accident:

“Assistant Tennessee District Attorney General Terry Wood said Haynesworth pleaded no contest July 9, 2009, to reckless driving and successfully completed three months of probation.

The accident occurred as Edmondson was headed home from his overnight shift as a janitor at a department store. The crash came just four days after Haynesworth signed a memorandum of understanding in another traffic prosecution acknowledging that on March 4, 2008, also on I-65, “I drove on the interstate at over 100 miles an hour,” according to court records.”
    __________________________________

So, Haynesworth has already pleaded “no contest” and served probation time for his actions in this incident, and has a history of driving over 100 mph on the same road.

Yeah, this is going to go over well with a jury.

52. cleverbob says: Aug 5, 2011 12:50 PM

rc33 says:
    Aug 5, 2011 12:09 PM

=====================================

This is why I only drive my Ferrari’s on my race track. At my private island.

53. vladdrac69 says: Aug 5, 2011 12:55 PM

I know of at least 3 current lawsuits against this turd:

1 – This story, where he basically has crippled the guy

2 – Groping a waitress in DC

3 – Getting out of his car and punching a man in the face at a traffic light here in my hometown of Reston,VA because he got flicked off after driving recklessly.

Yeah Albert’s a great guy. The skins couldn’t have shed this cancer fast enough. In all my years of watching football, I have never seen a guy continue to lay on the ground (Vicky, Eagle MNF stomping)
    while the play is still going on (and he was not hurt). And this was one of the highest paid players in football. Certainly the highest paid player on the team.

And let’s not forget the Andre Gurode face stomping incident with his cleats. The only thing that prevented Gurode losing his eye was sheer luck.

Is there a bigger turd in the history of the NFL? This jerk should be banned from the NFL.

Have fun Belichick with your new turd.

54. eagleempire says: Aug 5, 2011 12:57 PM

@realnflmaster says: Aug 5, 2011 10:37 AM

Hey FILTHadelphia!

ahahahahah
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That’s a good one douche….Those wins 2 years ago won’t help you against us this season! So keep stroking yourself…Your jealousy is STILL comical!

55. imjinbrdgr says: Aug 5, 2011 1:00 PM

thompgk says: Aug 5, 2011 10:52 AM

Albert Haynesworth may be the worst person to ever play in the NFL.
    ______________________
    I agree he’s pretty much a waste of a whole lot of space but there is some pretty low character on that list.
    O.J., Rea Carruth just to name a couple.

56. redskinsreloaded says: Aug 5, 2011 1:04 PM

I hope this guy gets whatevers left in Haynesworth-less bank account. Big Al is a common piece of S%$T. He thinks he can throw money at everything and it will go away. Money only goes so far big man. You might wanna keep your fat ass outta trouble from now on cause NO ONES gonna pay for you and your baggage from here on out.

57. bigbeefyd says: Aug 5, 2011 1:07 PM

Maybe he was afraid that if he left his parents’ house they would change the locks?

58. mightywu says: Aug 5, 2011 1:32 PM

Albert, the gift that keeps on giving.

59. deedub1639 says: Aug 5, 2011 1:34 PM

This dude is a tool. He should not be playing football. If any other team signs this guy they get roasted in the media. Not to mention that he sucks!!!!!!!!!!! Lazy… fat a$$

60. jluttrell32 says: Aug 5, 2011 1:58 PM

“HEY, HEY, HEY! I’M on my way”

61. bison4me says: Aug 5, 2011 2:38 PM

I don’t know, the story seems fishy. Top speed of a Ferrari with Haynesworth in it is 20, 25, tops? How much damage could done at that speed?

62. polishkingski says: Aug 5, 2011 3:43 PM

my first born was diagnost with a hernia. during his surgery he almost died from too much sedative pre-op. before i knew any details i saw the doctor crying her eyes out speaking with a nurse saying “i almost killed that little boy”. she made a mistake and we forgave her. she is just a human. if in fact this guy would sue for no reason even tho its a nfl player and not a doctor its still wrong. to this day members of my family call me a fool for deciding not to destroy a young womans career for the god almighty dollar.

63. CKL says: Aug 5, 2011 5:04 PM

polishkinski-
    You obviously understood the difference between a mistake (even though it was a horrible and almost tragic one)and willful negligence which is what I think TRUE malpractice is. I had malpractice done to me and all I wanted was my med bills paid and for the guy to lose his license so he couldn’t do the same stuff to other patients. No lawyer would take the case because…they wouldn’t make enough money off it.

This might and I repeat MIGHT be the only one of the three hideous things AH has done recently that isn’t a direct result of ONLY his utter turdiness.

64. bcgreg says: Aug 5, 2011 5:45 PM

To me, it doesn’t matter if Haynesworth was negligent or not. Because there is some argument as to the conditions and circumstances behind the accident, he should help this young man with his medicals and with converting his parents house to be handicap accessible because it is the right thing to do and because Haynesworth has the means to do so. Also, the victim was a fan of Haynesworth in particular. That alone should motivate Haynesworth to help him out.

65. gimmeabruschi says: Aug 6, 2011 3:59 AM

His lawyer says they are willing to make a “reasonable kind of accommodation”, so saying Haynesworth is just walking away with no conscience seems unfair. We don’t know the details.