Malcom Floyd lands back in San Diego

Malcom Floyd, Brandon Flowers AP

The big hole at the Chargers No. 2 wide receiver spot will be filled  by the same guy who held the role last year.

Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune and Adam Schefter of ESPN report that Floyd will return to the Chargers on a two-year deal.  We thought Floyd was easily the best wideout left on the market, and the Ravens showed strong interest in him and looked like the favorites to land him.  (UPDATE: Jamison Hensley of the Baltimore Sun said the Ravens struggled to clear cap room.)

With Floyd in the fold opposite Vincent Jackson, Patrick Crayton and Vincent Brown figure to battle for the No. 3 receiver job.

Philip Rivers led the league with 4,710 yards last year despite long absences from Jackson and tight end Antonio Gates. The Chargers could be even better throwing the ball this year.

Permalink 64 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, San Diego Chargers, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
64 Responses to “Malcom Floyd lands back in San Diego”
  1. kantnockdahustle89 says: Aug 5, 2011 3:17 PM

Oh geez. Hope the Ravens can get Mason back…or they might lose him too.

2. theduuuuuuuuuude says: Aug 5, 2011 3:20 PM

Coulda used him in Minny.

3. 6ringsofsteel says: Aug 5, 2011 3:22 PM

4. rayvens says: Aug 5, 2011 3:23 PM

Oh geez. Hope the Ravens can get Mason back…or they might lose him too.
    —————————
    This is come from a true Ravens Fan…”Mason is overrated!”…Those comeback routs dont work againts good teams.

5. hobartbaker says: Aug 5, 2011 3:23 PM

Vince Jackon on one side, Antonio Gates on the other, with Malcom in the middle.

6. jacksaysfu says: Aug 5, 2011 3:24 PM

I’m a Philly fan but anyone that sleeps on SD this year is crazy.

7. ravensfan4life52 says: Aug 5, 2011 3:24 PM

figured. all the reports said he was going to the Ravens but after the Asomugha thing I just started assuming all the reports that come out are gonna be wrong.

8. JackLeone says: Aug 5, 2011 3:24 PM

Forgot about Patrick Crayton….. um….in that case maybe they should sign another receiver….

9. ravensfreak00 says: Aug 5, 2011 3:25 PM

I was really hoping he would end up with the Ravens, too.

10. bearsrulepackdrool says: Aug 5, 2011 3:25 PM

Man! I thought he woulda looked good in a Bears uni instead of Roy Williams.

11. yamchargers says: Aug 5, 2011 3:29 PM

“LOL I guess hes ok with being a bum on a bum team. We win games. BIG games. They should try it. 6 rings”

We? I seriously doubt you have won anything in your life. Your even a geographical looser. Yes, Pitt is a craphole!

12. xstaticonradio says: Aug 5, 2011 3:30 PM

Philip Rivers makes him look better than he is.

13. thephantomstranger says: Aug 5, 2011 3:30 PM

theduuuuuuuuuude says:
    Aug 5, 2011 3:20 PM
    Coulda used him in Minny.
    _____________

I guess we’ll have to settle for Fitzy next year.

14. ulose says: Aug 5, 2011 3:31 PM

great signing, how do you defend against VJ, Floyd going deep with Gates, Crayton and Co. underneath? You don’t.

15. hookem6903 says: Aug 5, 2011 3:33 PM

Every other season, people are all over the Chargers, saying they’re a Super Bowl lock; at which point the Chargers flop. No one is talking about them this season. This is a dangerous team.

16. jamie54 says: Aug 5, 2011 3:34 PM

hobartbaker, that was too easy.

Now if they could only keep their special teams from destroying what the rest of the team’s done, plus don’t let Tolbert tote and fumble as much, then they’ll do well.

17. joeyq6 says: Aug 5, 2011 3:35 PM

Yea buddy!! Jackson, Floyd, Crayton, Seji, Brown and Gates, with Rivers huckin the ball!! Now all we need is a RB that isnt out of shape SMH…

18. dgrowe213 says: Aug 5, 2011 3:37 PM

Philip Rivers is still the most overrated QB in the NFL.

19. sourdough says: Aug 5, 2011 3:37 PM

Floyd is a solid #2 WR. Good decision by the Chargers.

20. sdsupersean says: Aug 5, 2011 3:38 PM

xstaticonradio says:
    Aug 5, 2011 3:30 PM
    Philip Rivers makes him look better than he is.

—————–

Well it’s a good thing he’s got Rivers passing to him again.

21. chobes68 says: Aug 5, 2011 3:39 PM

=========

Is that your station at work, serving 6 rings with each burger?

And really, you haven’t won squat. The team you root for won.

22. bmorelikeme says: Aug 5, 2011 3:41 PM

He would’ve been a great fit as the Raven’s deep threat. Oh well.

I know hes a different style receiver, but bring back Mason, a true warrior, his presence will only help the rest of our young receivers.

@ rayvens

No way Mason’s overrated, if anything he has been one of the must underrated wr in the league throughout his career.

Arguably his best games last year were @NE, @ HOU, TB and @PIT, Give the man the respect he deserves

23. radrntn says: Aug 5, 2011 3:41 PM

wow, he didn’t even get one offer from another team, thats scary….he is a decent # 2.

24. grandpoopah says: Aug 5, 2011 3:41 PM

If Gates can stay healthy, Rivers will flirt with 5,000 yards.

25. phillyfan4ever says: Aug 5, 2011 3:44 PM

Chargers will never go anywhere with Norv Turner at the helm.

26. boltdaddy says: Aug 5, 2011 3:48 PM

MF has the best ball catching skills of all the recievers, when healthy (not often enough in the past) he is a serious long ball recieving threat. I like our chances better with him than without. Eigher AJ came up with more $ or MF preferred to staty home with SD because the Ravens offered more money. This is another meaningful FA signing of our own peoples. So far the big loss is Darren Sproles and Brandon Siler.

27. chargerfan4life says: Aug 5, 2011 3:49 PM

Overated that is just that is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. Look what he did last year with the limited weapons he had! Off the hook good.

28. p4hbiz says: Aug 5, 2011 3:50 PM

Rivers, Gates, Floyd, Jackson, LT, Sproles = 0 Superbowls in the last seven years, Overrated dosen’t even define this team.

29. 7to10for6allday says: Aug 5, 2011 3:51 PM

I’ve always drafted rivers on my fantasy teams, I like him better than brady and manning. Hes gonna put up some numbers this year

30. pdxbolt says: Aug 5, 2011 3:55 PM

dgrowe213 says:
    Aug 5, 2011 3:37 PM
    Philip Rivers is still the most overrated QB in the NFL.

******************************************

You should try actually watching football sometime.

31. redwards29a says: Aug 5, 2011 3:55 PM

Welcome back Malcom.

32. tedmurph says: Aug 5, 2011 3:57 PM

Hey chobes68, if only they could beat the Pats.

Chargers lost a lot of players and they’ll never
    win anything with that coach.

33. p4hbiz says: Aug 5, 2011 4:02 PM

@chargerfan4life – what are you talking about, your team is the most Overrated team in the NFL besides the NY Jets.. Great during the season and chokes in the playoff’s.

You guy’s won the division 4 or 5 years in a row, get knock out of the playoff’s in the 1st round 3 out of those 5 years and have no rings to show for..

If that’s not Overrated just in the NFL right now.

34. p4hbiz says: Aug 5, 2011 4:02 PM

And they were swept by My Raiders.

35. mmmpieyummy says: Aug 5, 2011 4:02 PM

Here we go again…the Dolts are favorites year in and year out by all the so-called experts.

How’s that been working out for you San Diego? I wonder if they have a receptacle built at their headquarters for all of their trophies?

36. pdxbolt says: Aug 5, 2011 4:15 PM

p4hbiz says:
    Aug 5, 2011 4:02 PM
    And they were swept by My Raiders.

*****************************************

Oakland swept the AFC West last year and still finished third in the division.

You gotta work really hard to accomplish that.

37. dcsween says: Aug 5, 2011 4:15 PM

So Cotchery goes to the Eagles instead so he can join the best Dream Team EVAH! That much talent on one team could never fail to win it all … even if they were in Miami playing basketball.

38. toad8572 says: Aug 5, 2011 4:18 PM

I think I just heard Jericho Cotchery’s agent swearing somewhere…

39. newboltzjersey says: Aug 5, 2011 4:19 PM

phillyfan4ever says:
    Aug 5, 2011 3:44 PM
    Chargers will never go anywhere with Norv Turner at the helm.

I agree. Norv is terrible. Kinda like the Eagles with Reid though huh?

40. 07myvickinabox07 says: Aug 5, 2011 4:19 PM

41. rooneyruleblues says: Aug 5, 2011 4:27 PM

p4hbiz,

Dont be angry because your team has regressed this offseason. Lost the best DB in football and a probowl tightend. Nice job.

42. expatpatfan says: Aug 5, 2011 4:29 PM

====================
    You just wait for SD special teams to take the field.

Seriously though, San Diego’s special teams regressed from 16th DVOA in 2009 to…well, we all know that story. I actually think the terrible year was the anomaly–San Diego’s special teams will be average, which is all it needs to be to win the division.

43. enfuego2000 says: Aug 5, 2011 4:30 PM

Well the Chargers are looking good. Oh wait…Norv Turner is still their coach. Good luck with that!!!

44. bmoreballbuster says: Aug 5, 2011 4:30 PM

In Ozzie we trust…not this time “genius”. If Nagata was signed to a long term contract months ago (or even a week), this acquisition was a no-brainer. This void is inexcusable and a total embarrassment to the front office brain-trust. The $$$ was there, but the good sense to sign him wasn’t!

45. Dave H says: Aug 5, 2011 4:31 PM

SD was the #1 offense last year. Rivers completed 10 or more passes to 13 different receivers. Gates, VJ, and Floyd all missed a ton of games. If these guys are all healthy this is going to be a fun offense to watch. Add to that that they retained the entire O-line including proven back-ups, and have two young running backs that will certainly improve, and this O will be very difficult to defend.

46. theripster30 says: Aug 5, 2011 4:31 PM

———————–

The last big steelers game i watched, they lost

47. SmackSaw says: Aug 5, 2011 4:32 PM

Touchdown San Diego!!

48. feldman9000 says: Aug 5, 2011 4:53 PM

“I think it is funny how these SD fans think Jackson, Floyd, and Gates are one of the best receiving corps in the league. What I see is one good receiver (Jackson) and probable the best receiving TE in the NFL (Gates), other than that just mediocrity.”

Yah because overrated teams such as Dallas, Philly and Pittsburgh have so many recieving options.

49. feldman9000 says: Aug 5, 2011 4:55 PM

Steelers fans live in the past. Get by with two unworthy opponents in two super bowls. Get embarrassed when a truly good team plays them.

50. lacharger2112 says: Aug 5, 2011 5:18 PM

p4hbiz says: Aug 5, 2011 4:02 PM

And they were swept by My Raiders.
    —–

I will just call you AL, since they are your Raiders. I had season tickets to the Raiders when they were winning in Los Angeles. They were still not my team, I just rooted for them. We did not win the Superbowl, as I was not there or a member of the team.
    What position did you play for them if you don’t own the team? Was it Left Out? That’s what I thought.

————
    phillyfan4ever says: Aug 5, 2011 3:44 PM

Chargers will never go anywhere with Norv Turner at the helm.

————-
    The coach may be the biggest problem on this team you are correct about that. Your coach is better but, he can’t win even with the best dog killer / Gambling funding / QB in the entire league. Can’t wait to watch the wheels fall off in Philly this year. I can hear the crowd now… “We want Kolb, we want Kolb” Your team is one strip club away from imploding. I would say good luck but I want to see Philly lose to the Redskins and they have no chance against GB!

51. mrgroovesd says: Aug 5, 2011 5:38 PM

Rivers has his targets back…let’s not talk any SB. One game at a time. I don’t want to hear that mess. I’m a Bolt fan and I hate hearing that.

52. danrooneyii says: Aug 5, 2011 6:06 PM

Super Bowl?? The Chargers didn’t even make the playoffs last year and bringing back a #2 receiver makes them SB contenders?

53. theduuuuuuuuuude says: Aug 5, 2011 6:21 PM

Sorry Chargers fans, but I don’t really see what you’re all getting so excited about. Sure, you resigned some key players, but that’s really just maintaining the status quo and not really upgrading. Meanwhile, your running game is quickly turning into the laughingstock of the NFL. If the Bolts don’t figure out what to do with that mess in the backfield, it doesn’t really matter how good their receivers are, good defenses can easily neutralize a one sided offense.

54. ulose says: Aug 5, 2011 6:34 PM

Yea it was an anomaly, anyone with a sense should be able to figure that one out, the division has improved except for Denver, you look for your team to win no matter the division, history, etc. and that’s what I’m looking for this year… With health we have improved defense, improved offense, improved ST…

Go Bolts!!

expatpatfan says: Aug 5, 2011 4:29 PM

====================
    You just wait for SD special teams to take the field.

55. ulose says: Aug 5, 2011 6:40 PM

theduuuuuuuuuude says: Aug 5, 2011 6:21 PM

False. maintaining status quo? Rivers completed passes to 17 different WR’s last year… no VJ for most of the season, Floyd missed a handful, Gates missed a handful, Crayton broke his wrist… Clearly you are unable to speak with an unbiased opinion. Running game is laughing stock of NFL? Who’s laughing… you? Mathews was a rookie and hurt, and Tolbert was carrying ball for first time in big numbers… You do realize we had the number one rated offense last year despite all of that right? You lose, thank you, try again.

56. chowface86 says: Aug 5, 2011 7:14 PM

SD.. you got NOTHING to cheer about. 8-8 this year while the CHIEFS go undefeated. CASSEL FOR MUTHA FU(*$*% MVP NGGA!

57. sdstrong217 says: Aug 5, 2011 7:21 PM

Happy to have him back. I’m not going to say he’s overrated, because I agree Rivers makes him look better than he might be, but I’ve also seen him make clutch catches in desperate situations. I’m not too worried about his YAC, because usually his receptions are for 20+ yards. Guy probably has the best hands on the team as far as freak catches go. Plus he’s cheap.

58. psychoraider904 says: Aug 5, 2011 7:47 PM

Who cares. San Diego’s window of opportunity has already closed. They couldn’t win in the playoffs and they were loaded with talent. As much as I hate Phillip Rivers, I’ll give him credit, he gets things done. But it’s gonna take a lot more than Rivers to get this team past the first round of the playoffs. Just not enough talent left on the team. Sorry S.D. fans.

59. ulose says: Aug 5, 2011 8:04 PM

====================================

Nostradamus, please tell me… What are this weeks winning lotto numbers??

You do realize the whole window of opportunity thing is complete crap… Right? I mean considering people still exist that play football in the college ranks and all… Draft, free agency, etc etc…

I wont even go there with the hating of Rivers or maybe I will touch it at least… I’ve met him numerous times at church, open practices, and at Costco of all places, very nice guy. :)

genius.

60. xstaticonradio says: Aug 5, 2011 8:22 PM

sdsupersean says: Aug 5, 2011 3:38 PM

Well it’s a good thing he’s got Rivers passing to him again.

—————–

That was my point

61. sdstrong217 says: Aug 5, 2011 8:26 PM

psychoraider904 says:
    Aug 5, 2011 7:47 PM
    ——————–
    Funny how your team loses its best offensive and defensive weapons, yet you wanna shoot off comments about talentless teams. Who are your receivers again? I mean I could namedrop all 5 but thats a waste of time. And I recall Raiders fans hoping Floyd would take his talent to Oakland. But wait, there’s no talent on this team, my bad. You’re a clown. Educate yourself before you comment.

62. sch00ns says: Aug 6, 2011 1:46 AM

Did everybody forget the Chargers also just signed Laurent Robinson?? I’d think he’s worth being in the discussion for competing for the #3 receiver job…

63. mmmpieyummy says: Aug 6, 2011 6:52 PM

Wow…nice little rant sdstrong217.

How quickly they forget…that ‘talentless’ team put a beat down on your so-called superior team twice last season. It’s all about coaching there spanky, and you still have Norv Turner at the helm.

So let’s just see what happens on the field this year. Is that OK with you Sparky?

64. ltshouldstillbeinsd says: Aug 8, 2011 12:26 AM

raiders fans arent allowed to speak about nfl football until al davis dies. on a more positive nots they have the fastest guys in the league… good luck w that