Mike Patterson could be cleared to return to football soon

Mike Patterson AP

Despite an initially dire prognosis that included surgery or radiation for a brain condition known as AVM, Eagles defensive Mike Patterson could be returning to practice soon, according to agent J.R. Rickert.

Rickert writes that Patterson has been released from the hospital, and that he’ll be joining his teammates in training camp soon.  He suffered a seizure at training camp on Wednesday.

“Patterson is scheduled to see a neurologist in Philadelphia in the next day or so,” Rickert says.  “We anticipate that he will be cleared to resume normal team activities within a few days.”

It’s an amazing turn of events, and we’ll continue to track Patterson’s progress.

Permalink 41 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
41 Responses to “Mike Patterson could be cleared to return to football soon”
  1. scutzi128 says: Aug 5, 2011 2:23 PM

That’s crazy I thought he would be at lost for at least half the season.

2. bdawk20 says: Aug 5, 2011 2:27 PM

Hope his diagnosis is an issue that cannot get any worse- otherwise, this is a very interesting decision.

3. mikenj says: Aug 5, 2011 2:29 PM

as an eagles fan I’m glad to hear he’s sounding good but I’m not on board with this.

not a good idea. His health in the long run should be most important.

4. andyreidisfat says: Aug 5, 2011 2:31 PM

Wow this is great. I am so happy for him and happy for me and my team. But Patterson please think long term man. We’d rather have you for 5 years and not just a few games. Make sure you are fully healthy. With him back then once again we can keep Samuel who i thought we would trade for a tackle.

Now we are back to what i previously thought. They have a deal in place with San Fran or Chicago.
    I am hoping my brother in San Fran is right about what he is hearing and the Eagles are going to trade Samuel and 2nd for Willis. This would be huge and make the Eagles automatic number 1 contenders

5. gosuhgo says: Aug 5, 2011 2:32 PM

Good for him. He was always my favorite defensive Mike.

6. countsnail says: Aug 5, 2011 2:33 PM

That’s incredible. I figured his career was all but over. I wish him all the best.

7. jasonfinfan says: Aug 5, 2011 2:33 PM

Sounds like doctor PFT put out some medical diagnosis without knowing the situation.

I wouldnt be shocked if it comes out he never had a brain injury or AVT.

8. waitingguilty says: Aug 5, 2011 2:33 PM

Wow…great news for the young man. Hope he gets well ASAP.

9. b7p19 says: Aug 5, 2011 2:34 PM

Glad to hear it Mike.

10. dclogicatlast says: Aug 5, 2011 2:34 PM

Crap, thought they’d go 18-1. Now back to 19-0.

11. chescobirdfan says: Aug 5, 2011 2:35 PM

Well.. that’s scary.. but I’m sure they wouldn’t put him in harm’s way if they didn’t think it wasn’t as serious as previously thought.. Best of luck (and good luck) big Mike..

12. eaglesfootballfan says: Aug 5, 2011 2:35 PM

Best Wishes, Mike Patterson

13. wingt74 says: Aug 5, 2011 2:35 PM

There is going to be more to this story. Something is wrong with this fella. Eagles better be careful

14. phillyrick22 says: Aug 5, 2011 2:37 PM

this is truly a miracle! im glad he will be back and that he recovered from this so quickly! I wish Mike all the best on and off the field! Go Eagles!!!!

15. nineroutsider says: Aug 5, 2011 2:38 PM

Sounds like he is just saying “eff it…I am playing regardless”…

16. drmonkeyarmy says: Aug 5, 2011 2:42 PM

I’m a bit leery of this to be honest. There must be some back tracking from the initial diagnosis. I heard conflicting reports about what it was. If it was truly an AVM then I don’t see how he could be cleared to play….it would have to be taken care of right away. So, I am going to operate under the assumption that their was an initial misdiagnosis. All and all, this has to be great for him.

17. kate773 says: Aug 5, 2011 2:45 PM

Yikes. Brain problems aren’t to be messed with. I’d get 2 or 3 opinions that all say I’m fully 100% fine before I’d set foot on that field.

18. phillychzstk2012 says: Aug 5, 2011 2:47 PM

Thank God! Dont rush it tho Mike. Take er easy

19. oldbyrd says: Aug 5, 2011 2:49 PM

This is a wonderful young man. Never shoots his mouth off or braggs. I trust that all concerned cover all possibilities. footbal is a game. we are talking about a young father’s life.

20. scutzi128 says: Aug 5, 2011 2:53 PM

—————————————————-

I would be in heaven if they did this but honestly San Fran is so dumb if they do. Willis is an absolute animal.

21. jacksaysfu says: Aug 5, 2011 2:53 PM

Patterson is already here. !!!

22. phillyfan4ever says: Aug 5, 2011 2:53 PM

Wow I had him written off for the season, I hope hes not making this decision ill advised.

23. joebuckiscreepy says: Aug 5, 2011 2:58 PM

I’m pretty sure that AVM seizures can happen basically anytime, regardless of what you are doing. Not sure if physical activity increases the likelihood of it.

Either way, I’m sure Patterson would rather be playing football than sitting around wondering when his next episode will be. This is a tough situation but I’m glad he’s trying to make the best of it.

24. gtmann says: Aug 5, 2011 3:05 PM

GREAT to hear!!!…………There is zero chance that the league will let him bav\ck on the field if he is not 100% . Can you imagine the repercussions if he were yo die ?

25. bleedgreen says: Aug 5, 2011 3:06 PM

My guess is he’s had the condition for a long time, and it happened once, despite him having been playing for years. It probably wasn’t anything related to football that caused it.

26. drmonkeyarmy says: Aug 5, 2011 3:07 PM

Joebuckiscreepy…..yeah, it is my understanding that they can happen any time as well. I believe they can be exacerbated by physical activity and strain. My point was that if it is an AVM, I would think that it should be handled right away so that the super severe consequences such as stroke and death don’t occur. I’m not a medical doctor though so I am not 100% sure. I might ring up one of the neurology offices that refer patients to my store to get a legitimate opinion.

27. timasahh says: Aug 5, 2011 3:10 PM

Great news for Patterson, his family and his football family if this comes to be true. I only hope that the Eagles take his opinion into the matter and not just the doctors. I worry about him pushing himself in practice unless all signs point to him being okay.

28. scoops1 says: Aug 5, 2011 3:29 PM

Tim Tebow cured him

29. zeussuperman says: Aug 5, 2011 3:40 PM

Even if he has AVM or whatever it is, that’s a congenital defect.

People are acting like it just cropped up. Dude played HS, College, and Pro ball for his entire life and never had a seizure. Andy Reid’s training camps were notoriously hardcore before the new CBA rules, and Patterson was there for lots of them.

Just saying, it’s not as if it’s a concussion. I advocate the dude doing what’s best for his long-term health, but if he wants to play… he should be allowed to play.

30. drshakedown74 says: Aug 5, 2011 3:42 PM

Atta boy.

31. bitchassjosh says: Aug 5, 2011 3:53 PM

This coming from the team that “cleared” stewart bradley to return to the field only several plays after being knocked silly. MIKE, GET A SECOND OPINION!!!

32. phillyboypat5 says: Aug 5, 2011 4:17 PM

Patterson is a tough guy, I think he’s only missed two starts in his career…I just hope he’s not rolling the dice with this. I love football but he needs to consider life after football.

33. tjp2033 says: Aug 5, 2011 4:25 PM

@bitchassjosh

Actually the Eagles haven’t cleared him. It was his agent that said he would be cleared soon. Eagles team trainer Rick Burkholder completely dismissed what Patterson’s agent said. He has yet to go to the neurologist (he will go tomorrow). He said a quick return is very overly optimistic.

But that being said, it is nice to hear that this wont end his career and he will still be able to play. Best wishes to him and his family.

34. voiceofrealism says: Aug 5, 2011 4:28 PM

kate773 says:
    Aug 5, 2011 2:45 PM
    ———————-
    But if you had a brain problem, you might not be that logical.

35. chambomb says: Aug 5, 2011 4:29 PM

If you honestly think there is even a slim chance Patrick Willis is getting traded anywhere you might have an undiagnosed AVM yourself because your brain is clearly not functioning properly. Asante and 3 1sts would not get that deal done.

36. 07myvickinabox07 says: Aug 5, 2011 4:31 PM

Glad to hear everthing is ok!

37. formula42 says: Aug 5, 2011 4:37 PM

He won’t be back this year.

38. GoodOldBDawk says: Aug 5, 2011 4:49 PM

Glad they guy’s health is looking better. But I’d really rather have Jenkins and Dixon in there anyway.

Even if he comes back, Dixon may have his starting job. I hope so, give the young man a chance to produce. Mike definitely had his and hasn’t done anything special.

39. melonnhead says: Aug 5, 2011 6:56 PM

————————————————————–

You know, Michael Irvin played his entire life with congenital spinal stenosis that didn’t become a problem until it was found while doctors were checking him out after he got hurt in Philly. It wasn’t the hits he took that retired him, it wasn’t his head bouncing off the green concrete… it was already there. He was just incredibly lucky through his football life.

40. zeussuperman says: Aug 5, 2011 7:12 PM

melonnhead says: Aug 5, 2011 6:56 PM

————————————————————–

——————————————–

That’s a really good point.

I still believe, however, that if he knew the risks he was taking and wanted to return (and he might have — I don’t like Irvin as a man, but dude could ball) … I think he should be allowed to play.

All football players are mortgaging their futures on the present. If Patterson knows the risks and accepts them, he should be able to play. If he doesn’t want the risk he can walk, no hard feelings.

41. macjacmccoy says: Aug 7, 2011 12:31 AM

like I said you guys needed to slow down with all the computer diagnosises. No one knew if he would need surgery or chemo or medication or anything at all for treatment. they didnt even know if he really had AVM or not. 3 different Drs who saw him couldnt agree. He wasnt at a brian specialist he was told that it could possibly be AVM at a local hospital by a dime a dozen doctor. While the other 2 said they werent confident what caused the seizure.

But hey dont let facts slow you guys down. Make your expert recommendations and critize the team and the player and ambulance drivers if they dont follow your strict guidelines.