League takes issue with New York Times analysis of HGH testing

Jeff Pash, Greg Aiello AP

For now, we know that the new CBA will include testing for HGH.  Many of the details of the testing procedure aren’t known, because many of the details still must be resolved.

But that hasn’t stopped the New York Times from building an analysis of the HGH testing program around the presumption that players will be tested only once per year.

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello disagrees, and he has pointed that out on Twitter.  Aggressively.

“This is an embarrassment to the NY Times,” Aiello wrote Friday night.  “It says NFL’s HGH testing plan is for once a year.  Wrong.  No fact check?”

Aiello later went Mike Gundy on the Times, exclaiming, “Get your facts straight!

Earlier this morning, Aiello pointed out that the Times hasn’t corrected its analysis.  “If you are wondering whether NY Times fixed the major error in its story about NFL HGH testing plans, well of course not,” Aiello said.  “Why would they?”

In a separate tweet, Aiello said, “NY Times story says NFL HGH plan calls for just one annual test.  Wrong!!!  Still not corrected.

It’s a surprising display of candor — and anger — from the league and its spokesman.  Presumably, Aiello has launched his assault on the New York Times with at least a nod from at least his first-level boss, Paul Hicks, and possibly the approval of his second-tier supervisor, Roger Goodell.

Either way, we like the willingness of the league to respond loudly to what appears to be such a clear mistake, especially since the once-a-year error is repeated multiple times in the analysis, hopelessly infecting the entire thing.

At a minimum, the Times should revise the story to reflect the NFL’s position, as articulated by Aiello.  And if as it appears Aiello is right and the Times is wrong, the article should be further revised to say so.

Permalink 19 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories, Union
19 Responses to “League takes issue with New York Times analysis of HGH testing”
  1. suckleague says: Aug 6, 2011 10:34 AM

Shocking, The Times is a pillar of journalistic integrity. Yeah just threw up in my mouth a little.

2. redrew says: Aug 6, 2011 10:41 AM

The NY Times must wait for approval from Obama before any corrections can be made. Obama is still sleeping after hosting the “S&P Downgrade Hip Hop Bash for Cash” last night.

3. redrew says: Aug 6, 2011 10:44 AM

4. essentialsausage says: Aug 6, 2011 10:51 AM

So…how often are they testing then?

5. CKL says: Aug 6, 2011 11:11 AM

It’s kind of funny to see the juxtaposition on Aiello’s twitter page. Anger @ NYT…retweet funny ochocinco tweet…anger @ NYT….respond to funny ochocinco tweet…about HGH testing.

6. pilonflats says: Aug 6, 2011 11:15 AM

I don’t know which I trust more, the New York Times or the National Enquirer.

7. geo1113 says: Aug 6, 2011 11:18 AM

The Times will print the correction on page 22.

8. malthor says: Aug 6, 2011 11:55 AM

“pillar of journalistic integrity” in the times case is a euphemism for toilet paper.

9. lebronsinsecurity says: Aug 6, 2011 12:16 PM

I forgot most posters on here get their info from Fox News… Actually explains a lot

10. peanutbutter&jelly says: Aug 6, 2011 12:28 PM

when i first heard of hgh testing i really thought it was something like steroids but the more i’ve heard and read about it i dont agree.from everything i understand(i’m no expert by any means)about it i think players should be allowed to use it because it helps in healing injuries not improving one’s ability to preform.or maybe i’m wrong if so my bad.could anyone reading this give me more information about it or a clear reason why they shouldn’t allow it

11. malgorthewarrior says: Aug 6, 2011 12:56 PM

“Reverend Al was doing lines off the NY Times’ editor’s ass last night…no time to worry about factual news…Democrats were partying like never before. The collapse of the USA is almost complete.”

the collapse of the USA is actually bi-partisan. Both parties are pro corporate, pro rich people, anti middle class. So is the NY Times. It’s one of the most bi-partisan papers in America!

12. rickditka says: Aug 6, 2011 1:01 PM

lebronsinsecurity says:Aug 6, 2011 12:16 PM

****
    There was a time that the NYTimes was the standard. That was long ago.
    You are, obviously, a humorless liberal. And, obviously, part of the problem. so, go away.

13. ratbastardshanahandjob says: Aug 6, 2011 1:12 PM

>>>geo1113 says: The Times will print the correction on page 22.<<<

In ebonics and blame the great right wing conspiracy for why it happened…….

14. duffer58 says: Aug 6, 2011 1:17 PM

The New York Times is the greatest source of News in the World. Unlike you idiots who watch Fox.

15. benh999 says: Aug 6, 2011 2:10 PM

Clearly Aiello Aiello is mistaken. Only Fox News can be accused of inaccuracies in reporting.

I have to admit it is funny that the NY Times will even shill for guys making more than most executives (e.g., corporate fat cats) so long as they are in a labor union.

AFL-CIO all the way! Sí se puede!

16. midgetbanger says: Aug 6, 2011 2:50 PM

rickditka says: Aug 6, 2011 1:01 PM

lebronsinsecurity says:Aug 6, 2011 12:16 PM

****
    There was a tiame that the NYTimes was the standard. That was long ago.
    ——————————————–

I’m not surprised that the knee jerk conservatives on this site feel the need to bash the NYT. What’s the “standard” today then? Fox? CNN? NY Post? Drudge? And how long ago was the NYT the standard? Let me guess, hmmm, maybe when Fox News started their 24-7 “News” cable networks possibly?

I watch or read all of these news sources regularly and in my experience the NYT is much more accurate and unbiased as a news source. Not only that, the issues or events they choose to cover are much more reasonable than the other news “outlets”.

And I’m a conservative minded voter.. just not a misinformed, Bible toting, Christian conservative.. Ironically it’s unfortunate really, but I personally could care less for idiotic theology and the rapture. Guess I was lucky to be raised Catholic LOL. I also like PBS so I must be a brainwashed communist posing as a conservative. And when I’m waiting in line to vote Acorn comes and pays me $50 to vote Democrat.

That being said, I agree that the NYT failed miserably on this article. There should be some statements from the NFL or at least a sentence explaining that the NFL didn’t comment when asked…

17. rickditka says: Aug 6, 2011 3:20 PM

midgetbanger says:Aug 6, 2011 2:50 PM

====
    so, you point is that you have no point. other than you do all this “research” and then sell your vote for $50 from Acorn.

18. rickditka says: Aug 6, 2011 3:25 PM

midgetbanger says:Aug 6, 2011 2:50 PM

===

I’m sure your parents are very diappointed that their daughter has no integrity.

19. 1historian says: Aug 6, 2011 6:06 PM

The New York Times is BEYOND embarrassment.