Ron Rivera says he thinks the Panthers can win 10 games

Ron Rivera AP

At a time when coaches like Rex Ryan have shown that it’s OK to talk publicly about goals and aspirations, another head coach who can wear monogrammed shirts with “RR” on the sleeves (although slightly smaller) has taken a page from Rex’s playbook.

Panthers coach Ron Rivera recently said that he thinks his new team can do what each of the other three teams in their division did last year — win 10 games.

“I’m optimistic about who we are and who we can become,” Rivera said, per Steve Reed of CarolinaGrowl.com.  “Would I like to win them all?  Absolutely.  Do I think we can win 10?  Yes. I think we can win 10.”

Rivera then apparently tried to backtrack a bit.  “I think we can win 10, 11, nine, eight, I’m not sure,” Rivera said.  “To put a number out would be unfair to our guys.  But I will say the one thing I want more than anything else is to play hard because I think that gives you chance to win.”

Rivera shouldn’t have backtracked.  He’s got a young team that could use a little confidence.

And as we’ve learned from Rex Ryan, there’s nothing wrong with a little confidence.

Permalink 33 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Carolina Panthers, Home, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors
33 Responses to “Ron Rivera says he thinks the Panthers can win 10 games”
  1. rambo08 says: Aug 6, 2011 9:14 AM

I don’t think so.

2. derekjetersmansion says: Aug 6, 2011 9:19 AM

10 games in 2 years?

3. everydayimfumbilin says: Aug 6, 2011 9:21 AM

i wasn’t aware that the nfc south was replaced with arena league teams

4. pooflingingmonkey says: Aug 6, 2011 9:24 AM

Sure they can win 10 games! It might take them 3-4 years, but they can do it.

5. goawayeverybody says: Aug 6, 2011 9:24 AM

8 is a realistic goal. It depends on Cam.

6. MichaelEdits says: Aug 6, 2011 9:27 AM

19-0, baby!

7. jw731 says: Aug 6, 2011 9:34 AM

He’s the HC in a new job…..What the hell is he supposed to say…Well, fellas we got nothing but garbage here and i hope we don’t go 0-16…

8. CKL says: Aug 6, 2011 9:34 AM

Well there IS a song called “I Believe I Can Fly” isn’t there?
    So put this dream right behind that one. Not saying they don’t have talent or he shouldn’t expect his guys to win but realistically? Ummm…can’t see it. The division they are in, and having a new & first time HC, new DC, new OC and probably a new starting QB coupled with the lockout puts them right where Cleveland is, only while having more talent: a lot behind the 8 ball.

9. mike106 says: Aug 6, 2011 9:35 AM

10 games…. he must mean that they can win 10 in the next 3 years…….this year they might just go 0-16……

10. fafafuey says: Aug 6, 2011 9:40 AM

Much improved team but it all depends on QB play. 6 is prob more like it. I think they should have signed Bulger and let him start out the season. Cam may be good someday but he is way behind right now.

11. alanboy395 says: Aug 6, 2011 9:54 AM

This may be the Panthers fan in me but I don’t think that Ron is totally crazy. Heck look what Matt Ryan and Mike Smith did a couple of years ago. Our team is decently together. While I think the Panthers will probably need a couple of years to be fully competitive I would not be shocked if we win 10 games this year.

12. benton3 says: Aug 6, 2011 9:54 AM

Drug testing in place for coaches this year?

13. link49 says: Aug 6, 2011 9:55 AM

10 games in the next 3 years…Yes why not

14. jpk6044 says: Aug 6, 2011 9:59 AM

On glue.

15. kingjoe1 says: Aug 6, 2011 10:08 AM

If dude was going to talk out of his a$$, why not just say the Panthers are going to win the Superbowl?
    Does he think tempering his ridiculous expectations makes them more legit? Please dude, the team has highlight players, but lacks any type of continuity as far as the type of players defining the type of team they are to be.
    5-11

16. whodeyn832 says: Aug 6, 2011 10:27 AM

cheah.. right…and monkeys might fly outta my butt!

17. feldman9000 says: Aug 6, 2011 10:32 AM

There’s too much talent on this team to not win 10 games. As long as you don’t have some over conservative nazi holding the team back and handcuffing the coordinators. Have fun with that Denver. Rivera will lead us to the promise land. People will talk when we beat Green Bay at home in week 2.

18. 3octaveFart says: Aug 6, 2011 10:52 AM

“Do I think we can win 10? Yes. I think we can win 10.””

Another way to interpret this:
    “We’re gonna lose at least 6″

19. milkmandanimal says: Aug 6, 2011 10:58 AM

The short version, no. The long version, noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

20. turbodog1027 says: Aug 6, 2011 10:59 AM

The Rex Ryan of the NFC. The Kitty cats will be on the bottom again. 5 games max

21. qdog112 says: Aug 6, 2011 11:12 AM

As a Panther fan, I love Rivera, but what he said was simply, the exuberance of a rookie HC, who feels he was ready a long time ago. It was a mistake and I know he wishes he could take it back. He is not a Ryan and should not be compared to either.

That said, we think we have something special in Charlotte, but shsssh, don’t tell everybody.

22. ronswansonsdinner says: Aug 6, 2011 11:15 AM

Last year, everyone thought Raheem Morris was crazy when he said the Bucs will win 10 games and they did and Tampa had way more questions than Carolina.

23. mrplow3 says: Aug 6, 2011 11:29 AM

LOL

Did he just suddenly forget he has the “icon” at QB?

There be a 10 in that record just not quite how Ron’s gonna wanna it.

6-10

24. breedja says: Aug 6, 2011 11:35 AM

I think Ron-Ron loaded his last bowl of that Tijuana gold before he made that remark.

25. whatswiththehate says: Aug 6, 2011 12:03 PM

Amazing how some folks comments actually gets taken out of contexts and it’s okay to continue believing it. Rivera was asked how much he felt the Panthers can win and he throw out numbers. He started with 10.

This story is two days old and the link in the article wasn’t the original source to the story.
    ———————
    mrplow3 says:Aug 6, 2011 11:29 AM

LOL

Did he just suddenly forget he has the “icon” at QB?

There be a 10 in that record just not quite how Ron’s gonna wanna it.

6-10
    —————
    6 is four more than 2 if I’m not mistaken and it’s an improvement.

26. Soulman45 says: Aug 6, 2011 12:14 PM

All these 5 win teams talking junk.

27. catman72 says: Aug 6, 2011 12:34 PM

He said he thinks the Panthers CAN win 10 games, not that they WILL win 10 games… you people really need to work on your reading comprehension.

How quickly you forget that this same core team went 12-4 in 2008, but keep doubting us… that’s the way we like it.

28. tarheelpirate says: Aug 6, 2011 12:52 PM

I think the Panthers are going to be much better than everyone thinks. They have a ton of talent on both sides of the ball. It will all depend on QB play.

If they get solid QB play, can they win 10? Absolutely. Their biggest obstacle will be its schedule. It’s tough. I think that they will look pretty good toward the end of the season, but it will be too late.

As a Panthers’ fan, I would be ecstatic with anything more than 7 wins. I think they go 7-9, but the NFC South is not the NFC West. No playoffs.

29. ourbaskets says: Aug 6, 2011 1:03 PM

I love that you guys are doubting on my Panthers.

Look – are we great and Super Bowl bound? No. But I truly believe that we are going to be better than just about everyone gives us credit for. Outside of Charlotte, I am not sure that many people really knew the effects that injuries and Foxy had on this team last year. We are young, but we are a good bit better than 2-14. And we seems to have answered alot of questions from last year. From the HC to the offensive scheme to the players. I wouldn’t be surprised to see us go 8-8.

30. haris470 says: Aug 6, 2011 1:12 PM

I love how everyone feels the need to hate on Rex Ryan in every story. The truth is that he has taken his team to the AFC championship 2 years in a row (including his rookie season with a rookie QB) He may talk a lot of sh*t but if there is any coach out there who doesn’t believe that their team is capable of winning every game they play then they don’t deserve to coach the team. Sports teams rely so heavily on confidence and much of that confidence comes from their coach. Every time you step on the field you should assume a win is possible, in which case it is possible for any team to win every game they play. Don’t take the wind out from under your players before they even start the season.

31. robertopicadillo says: Aug 6, 2011 1:26 PM

he wouldnt even be able to win 10 games in madden on easy. carolina you have a looooooooong ways before your even significant in the nfl.

32. denverdude7 says: Aug 6, 2011 6:53 PM

It will be Carolina and Denver down to the wire for the overall #1 pick in the 2012 draft. Cincinnatti will be in the mix too but, they have a way of messing things up. Even losing.

Carolina getting 10 victories? Not going to happen. I would be shocked if they won 4.

Prediction: Denver gets the #1 pick in the 2012 draft with a record of 2-14. Denver’s schedule and noticeable lack of a defense spells doom. Carolina and Cincinnatti will both finish at 3-13 and will be in a coin toss for the #2 pick with Carolina calling heads and winning the toss.

33. jdd428 says: Aug 6, 2011 9:26 PM

All you people thinking Carolina will be absolutely horrible may be in for a surprise. This was a very good team just a few seasons ago and the core remains intact. Last year’s problems were (as I’ve said on previous posts) three-fold: injuries, lame duck coach and Clausen. Change those things and this team could be competitive – even in a tough division. ALSO- no one expected TB to be any good at all last year (lots of predictions for 3 or fewer wins) and look what happened. History has shown us that unlikely teams can turn in surprisingly good seasons. Sure, 10 may be a bit high and is asking a lot of Newton. But to think that it is completely impossible for Carolina to win more than 3 is just flat wrong.