With Garrard out of scrimmage, Gabbert gets chance to shine

Blaine Gabbert AP

The back tightness that has kept Jaguars quarerback David Garrard sidelined for a few days is not expected to be a major problem. It will, however, keep him out of Saturday night’s team scrimmage.

“I’m pretty sure everybody wants to see 11 anyway,” Garrard told Tania Ganguli of the Florida Times-Union, referring to rookie Blaine Gabbert. “But I’m feeling good, I’m feeling optimistic about things.”

Coach Jack Del Rio had said Thursday that he would be surprised if Garrard sat out the scrimmage.  Garrard’s absence will put a bigger spotlight on Gabbert, who has reportedly looked good thus far in camp.

“What I saw on the Jacksonville Jaguars’ practice field Thursday night from Gabbert, the team’s top pick in the April draft, is like nothing I’ve witnessed on any of the Jaguars’ practice fields in the 16 years they’ve been in existence,” Pete Prisco of CBSSports.com writes.

He sees a rookie that he believes is ahead of the curve and has a better chance to start than people think.

“He looked like a franchise quarterback. If he plays like one in the preseason, there is little doubt that Del Rio would hesitate to pull the trigger and make him the starter,” Prisco says.

That makes Saturday night’s scrimmage and Jacksonville’s upcoming preseason games a lot more interesting.

Permalink 26 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Jacksonville Jaguars, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
26 Responses to “With Garrard out of scrimmage, Gabbert gets chance to shine”
  1. hobartbaker says: Aug 6, 2011 1:36 PM

“What I saw on the (NFL) practice field Thursday night…….is like nothing I’ve witnessed on any of the (NFLs) practice fields in the 96 years they’ve been in existance..”.

2. goawayeverybody says: Aug 6, 2011 1:56 PM

David Garrard to the Dolphins. They need him more than Jacksonville.

3. realfootballfan says: Aug 6, 2011 1:58 PM

This kind of hyperbole is where sports reporters make a mockery out of themselves.

I’ve never witnessed this on a Jaguar practice field in their existence, really?

4. hobartbaker says: Aug 6, 2011 2:00 PM

LOL, sounds like Prisco wants to be the Jon Landau of his generation.

5. docredskin says: Aug 6, 2011 2:05 PM

He is “unlike anything I’ve ever seen” in one Jacksonville practice, but he was average at Missouri. He’s Rob Johnson 2.0.

6. chowface86 says: Aug 6, 2011 2:13 PM

Why dont they make a run at Matt Leinart? Garrard is no better than DJ Shockley.

7. howiefeltersnatch says: Aug 6, 2011 2:14 PM

I sense resentment whenever I hear someone call another player by their number instead of their name.

8. realnflmaster says: Aug 6, 2011 2:16 PM

hey FILTHadelphia!

How’s it feel to be witnessing a REAL franchise QB being developed in Blaine Gabbert? While your cap circumventing, overspending on B-list free agents franchise continues it’s spell of loses, medicority and ZERO CHAMPIONSHIPS.

NFC East bottom dwellers since the beginning of time. scrubs.

9. hobartbaker says: Aug 6, 2011 2:18 PM

In that moment, the gloom lifted, the skies opened, and there was……Sunshine!

10. mikebyrne1502 says: Aug 6, 2011 2:24 PM

David Garrard sucks and his stats prove it, maybe Pete wasn’t covering Jax in 98 I mean it was only 13 years ago…. Gabbert has to give this team the best option and will pull fans in the seats. That team didn’t do enough in the offseason, and surrond ether player with the kind of talent that he needs.(Excluding MJD) Lewis is alright but how many “this is his break out year” are there going to be before they realize he’s just average, all that height and size and Garrard can’t get him the ball?

11. goatcheez says: Aug 6, 2011 2:33 PM

Thank you BasedGabbert. I offer my girlfriend in sacrifice!

12. jerranamo says: Aug 6, 2011 2:46 PM

Garrard is and will be the starting QB for the Jags come week 1. A lot of sports writers and some fans in Jacksonville are caught up in the glitz and glamour of Gabbert looking good in practices – lets see how its translates with the 1st team during preseason before anyone gets ahead of themselves!

Garrard has always experienced back problems but rarely does he allow him to keep him off the field – right now, Garrards experience is going to carry him as the starts of the Jaguars. You hear it a lot, the “speed” of the game is a lot for rookie and until he really gets used to it – the Jags arent going to throw him out there. Garrard isnt a terrible QB – he is a middle of the rd QB who needs the right pieces around him to be successful. IMO, the Jags have those pieces: MJD, M. Lewis (who has progressed every year since being drafted and had a breakout season in 2010); the WR position is full of question marks but its no secret the Jags use the running game to setup the passing game..

Last year could’ve been the Jags year to win the divison but their defense was just terrible – a lot of positive offseason moves instantly upgrades the Jags defense. The front 7, on paper, seem to be solid and the secondary, on paper, is definitly upgraded – let the season begin and lets see how this all plays out!

13. profootballwalk says: Aug 6, 2011 2:54 PM

“If he plays like one in the preseason, there is little doubt that Del Rio would hesitate to pull the trigger and make him the starter,” Prisco says.”

*********************************

I assume he means WOULDN’T hesitate.

14. stonecld33 says: Aug 6, 2011 2:57 PM

Wow, “have never witnessed in 16 years” I think they should get him inducted into the hall a fame tonight, this way they won’t have to do 16 years from now and he hasn’t even played 1 game. Unreal

15. whatswiththehate says: Aug 6, 2011 3:19 PM

“What I saw on the Jacksonville Jaguars’ practice field Thursday night from Gabbert, the team’s top pick in the April draft, is like nothing I’ve witnessed on any of the Jaguars’ practice fields in the 16 years they’ve been in existence,” Pete Prisco of CBSSports.com writes.
    ————-
    It’s clear from the 2011 draft that Blaine was our elite sports media pick for the “choosen QB” hype machine. Then you read the rest of the articles and walk away with a sense that they are more trying to sell us this kid than being honest about his future.

Not even Sam Bradford received that level of false hype from the elite sports media evven thou he was the choosen QB for the 2010 draft. I guess he really didn’t need it.

16. thereisalwaysnextyear says: Aug 6, 2011 3:20 PM

Is this yet ANOTHER typo? He “would” hesitate or he wouldn’t??? Saying he “would” means he wouldn’t make the switch. Is that really what Prisco said or another PFT typo from not proofreading?

17. thereisalwaysnextyear says: Aug 6, 2011 3:22 PM

SORRY, I think I misread it, not PFT. My mistake on my previous post and I should have read it more carefully. MY mistake I think and I apologize to PFT.

18. prplpuzzetrz says: Aug 6, 2011 3:25 PM

They need to ease Gabbert in the line-up…. The new trend to toss these Rookies in there is dumb! Really how well have these rookies played????
    Ryan-atlanta- he has definitely regressed a bit, he’s solid but IMO he is hyped
    Flacco-ravens- really has come down to earth, good but not great
    Sanchez- jets- very unspectacular, if he didn’t have a solid run game and elite wr’s, he would be a trainwreck.
    Bradford-Rams- love this guy, he will be a stud for years
    McCoy-browns- he will end up being solid too,
    Ponder- Vikings- a year behind Mcnabb is the best move, he could be an elite QB,
    Gabbert too, needs to learn a yr, but could be a stud. garrard is good enough to carry this season. He is underrated.
    Locker, newton, both are my least favorite , but could surprise me.

19. thereisalwaysnextyear says: Aug 6, 2011 3:29 PM

I think I was right the first time. Whoever’s mistake it was the sentence makes no sense.

20. hobartbaker says: Aug 6, 2011 3:51 PM

“….there is little doubt Del Rio WOULD hesitate to pull the trigger and start him…..”, may be a typo, but I think it is also true.

Gabbert is the youngest player on the Jags and the youngest quarterback in the league.

21. trbowman says: Aug 6, 2011 4:12 PM

Yeah, yeah, another guy supposedly having a strong camp. Doesn’t mean anything until he plays on the field. I’m not holding my breath

22. tedmurph says: Aug 6, 2011 4:38 PM

To those of you that take the time to correct typos when the author’s meaning is clear…

seriously, don’t you have anything better to do?

23. ivedoneyourwife says: Aug 6, 2011 5:22 PM

What I saw from Gabbert in a real live practice… he zips the ball out with a Dan Marino type fast throwing motion and is accurate, too. He seems to have good pocket pressence and when he moves out of the pocket, he zips it very accurately in between tight windows on his back foot. I can see where Prisco is coming from. But we still have to see what he’ll look like against real NFL competition. He is very promising, though. Maybe the best QB I’ve seen on this roster ever, too. Can’t wait to go to the scrimmage tonight.

24. tatum064 says: Aug 6, 2011 7:10 PM

Gabbert is good. Its just his decision making when the pass rush is coming that is under scrutiny. Many think he’d have challenged Andrew Luck for No. 1 overall had he returned to Missouri.

25. tatum064 says: Aug 6, 2011 7:11 PM

docredskin says:
    Aug 6, 2011 2:05 PM
    ====================================

Uh, Redskin fan…i think you better be more concerned with Danny Weurffell 2.0, aka John Beck. You’re the last person who should be criticizing ANY quarterback.

26. shackdelrio says: Aug 7, 2011 12:31 AM

“realfootballfan says:
    Aug 6, 2011 1:58 PM

I guess when Mark Brunell was in Jacksonville leading one of the best NFL offenses between 98-’01, Pete Prisco had his hands over his eyes. Get real.”

Brunell was a good player but think about this. He played with two Pro Bowl receivers (Smith/McCardell), two Pro Bowl tackles (Boselli/Searcy) and a Pro Bowl running back (Freddy T) and never had more than 20 TDs in a season. He was good but the talent he had around him made him better.