As expected, DeSean shows up

Getty Images

When Eagles receiver DeSean Jackson arrived in Philly on Sunday night, it wasn’t because he had a craving for a cheesesteak.

As expected, Jackson has ended his holdout.  (We’ve confirmed the numerous reports that Jackson has indeed reported for work.)

Jackson had no choice, if he wants to become an unrestricted free agent in March 2012, or if he wants the leverage in long-term contract talks that comes from being poised to hit the open market.  If he failed to show by Tuesday, he would not have earned a fourth year of service, and at best he would have been a restricted free agent next year.

He arrives at a time when starting receiver Jeremy Maclin remains out with a mysterious illness.

Jackson, who is in the final year of a slotted rookie deal that will pay him a base salary of $600,000, wants a long-term contract due in part to the fact that his size and concussion history increase the risk of trying to get through one more season unscathed.  His situation is far different from the T.O. saga of 2005, given that Owens wanted to rip up a veteran deal only one year after signing it.

Jackson is a victim of a system that pays young players based on when they are drafted, with no adjustment for what they achieve on the field, unless and until the team that drafted them decides to give them a new deal.  He wants to fix that before he potentially becomes the victim of the consequences of multiple blows to the head.

65 responses to “As expected, DeSean shows up

1. Happy Monday.
    I expected this all along, the writing was on the wall and everyone was still worrying.
    Now that holdouts can get fined, tell me about Chris Johnson…

awolwest.wordpress.com

2. Here’s the problem with his logic: He wants to be paid like a top receiver in the game right now because he thinks he may get hurt and be completely useless. Sounds like a great investment for the Eagles to me!

If he wants a new deal now, he’s got to be willing to play for a meager 4-5 million for the next few years.

3. He wants to fix that before he potentially becomes the victim of the consequences of multiple blows to the head
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    This premise, and others like it, makes no sense. Jackson and others expect teams to pay them before they get hurt and can’t play.

Jackson is an exciting player and is a difference maker on special teams. That said, he is not a complete receiver and is small. He could easily be forced to the bench at some point in the year. (Has yet to play a full season)

He is worthy of a new contract but his attitude and actions have been poor. He deserves more money for his game-breaking potential but he does not deserve to be one of the highest paid receivers in the league.

4. He’s making more than 600k already. He hit incentives which push his pay this year close to 1 mil.

5. He had to show up to get that earned year towered FA. If the Eagles don’t open the wallet and pay the man he is gone next spring. Some team that needs a WR/return man will pay him what he wants for sure.

6. I was hoping he would get traded to my Steelers we lack impact players at the WR position.since hines is an old drunk on the decline and all wallace can doo is run fast and straight. Not looking like we will see that 7th. ring anytime soon here in Pitt. I can still live in the past and remember these sweet 6 WOO HOO

7. while the eagles are 3% of the league, they must represent a good 25% of the stories on this site. let’s hear some tidbits about the bills, browns, lions, vikings, panthers, saints, rams, chiefs, chargers, colts. equal time baby!

8. If he thinks the Eagles are going to give him ‘big money’ then he’s already had too many blows to the head.

9. ticalcaldwell says:
    Aug 8, 2011 11:01 AM
    600,000 he is due this year, divided by the 30,000 he is being fined per day…….like Jonathan Joseph said “its a no brainer”
    ==================

Those fines will be waived by lunchtime.

Trust me, he won’t be paying a dime of those fines.

10. outsyderz34 says:
    Aug 8, 2011 11:15 AM

Clearly the geniuses are out in full force today. That’s why everyone with even the slightest clue knows he is woefully underpaid at this point. Even the Eagles front office knows they are blowing this one and only want to prove the point that they wouldn’t even dare tempt breaking their policy of negotiating with holdouts. Especially holdouts who HAVE to report to training camp before the 1st preseason game to get the year toward free agency.

11. while the eagles are 3% of the league, they must represent a good 25% of the stories on this site. let’s hear some tidbits about the bills, browns, lions, vikings, panthers, saints, rams, chiefs, chargers, colts. equal time baby!

Maybe some of those other teams should do something worth mentioning. Eagles OWNED this offseason. Only time will tell if it helps in January.

12. I think NFL players need to learn something from Elvis Dumervil.
    -show up to practice when you’re still under contract
    -let your agent do the talking (unless your agent in Rosenhaus)
    -keep the press out of the situation

He still got paid the big bucks before he got injured for the season.

13. “Jackson, who is in the final year of a slotted rookie deal that will pay him a base salary of $600,000, wants a long-term contract due in part to the fact that his size and concussion history increase the risk of trying to get through one more season unscathed.”

If his biggest bargaining chip is that he’s an injury risk, I can see why the Eagles are hesitant to shell out big money for him longterm.

“Jackson is a victim of a system that pays young players based on when they are drafted”

Please, Jackson isn’t a victim of anything here.

14. @bleedblue18 “If the Eagles don’t open the wallet and pay the man he is gone next spring.”

A more likely scenario is that he’ll be franchised if they can’t sign him this year and then the Eagles’ FO will either sign him to a long term contract or entertain trade offers much like they did with Kolb – Eagles’ FO would not let DeSean go for ‘free’.

15. Even if you have first round talent, when you get drafted in the second you get second round money. That’s the way it is so shut up and play. You’ll get paid.

16. God Eagle fans are ridiculous. They make a few decent signings and they are out in full force running their mouths. It reminds me of Viking fans in 2009-2010, just obnoxious, and they ended up empty handed. I assume the same will happen to these Eagles, who have never won anything.

And for those saying that the Eagles owned the offseason? No, I say the Packers and Patriots still had better offseasons. Patriots gave up a lot less and pay a lot less for their new impact talent, whereas the Eagles are going to be strapped in years to come. They have a weak O-line, a new D-line with no chemistry, and a terrible LB core. Their safeties are also subpar. So you have shiny, sleak CBs? Who cares, you can throw around them.

I look forward to the demise of these Eagles. I actually like all of their players and I love the team, but the fans make me want to see them crumble. And they will. Vick will get hurt like he always does, and then this team is a lot less dynamic.

Let’s see a game played before the Eagle fans announce that they are SB champs, like the Jets do annually. Please don’t become obnoxious like the Jet fans, it’s not a good look on you guys.

Also, D-Jax is overrated, and not even the best WR on this team. He should be paid a medium salary at best, as he is easily replaceable.

17. His size has nothing to do with anything. No one is knocking Wes Welker for his size and I can’t remember anyone complaining about Barry Sanders height. Get over it people, the guy makes plays and has a huge impact in how the opposing defense plays the Eagles. If you don’t want this guy on your team you are lying to yourself and just a blind hater.

Fly #10 Fly

18. crubenst says:
    Aug 8, 2011 11:07 AM

_________________________

Dude, you’re a joke. EVERY contract in the NFL is in case someone gets INJURED DURING the course of their contract. Ask Jevon Walker how well it worked out for him after he blew his knee out IN PRACTICE while making a meesly $400k, instead of holding out until week 10 like he should have( listening to Brett Farve advise).

19. All this drama is funny. They’ll extend Vick, get well under the cap and Desean will get his new contract.
    They’ll still have enough for at least one surprise signing, or trade, if a great deal comes up. They also will reserve a bit more to cover injuries.

All in all the team is solid, with decent reserves. It should be a fun season.

20. packerrube13 says:

You make no sense. In one paragraph you state that you know what will happen to the Eagles in the 2011 season with some unqualified certainty (Vick blows out his knee, weak o-line, no chemistry, etc…) and then in the next you say “let’s see a game played before…”

No one knows what will happen. You and everybody else are hating on the Eagles because they made the moves you wish your team had. We’re excited because of that and the prospect of having a great season, so if you find that obnoxious and think we’re running our mouths then stay on your Packers website and keep watching last years highlights. Whine and cheese, the Lambeau specialty.

21. According to Eagletarian, he has not reported. It is one thing to be in the area with your agent, another to report.

22. packerrube13 says:
    Aug 8, 2011 11:50 AM

__________________________________

Yes, the Pats picked up Fat Al’s $100Mil contract and they’re paying a lot less then the Eagles are. CRAZIEST ISHT I’VE EVER HEARD!! Who cares what contract you or anyone other than the FO says what contract DJax deserves. I guess he better take that medium range contract you offered him. You ARE the BOSS and all! LMAO. Yes wish for our players to get injured. I’m sure Suh and Peppers would LOVE to put Rodgers out for the season with a nice fat concussion( let’s not forget he had 2 last year, to my WR’s 1 ) Clay Matthews will begin to were down, or he’ll be busted for roids at some point this year, and Jennings will spend the year with a torn hammy. These are the things I am praying for!!!

23. @packerrube

It certainly sounds like you feel threatened. The Packers had their biggest challenge of the playoffs from the Eagles. Then they add key players like DRC, Nnamdi, Jenkins, R Brown and Babin.

Who did they lose from that game? Mikell, Jerome Harrison, Bunkley and Akers. Kolb, Bradley and Jean-Gilles didnt play. Bunkley played a few dreadful snaps. Akers missed 2 FGs. Harrison had a few decent runs. Mikell had a decent game.

Yeah, you’re definitely a bit scared

24. Jackson is dumb as rocks. Even if he plays and luckily gets through unscathed, Phi is only going to franchise him next year and make him go through this all over again.

If he had any smarts between that block head of his, he should hold the Dream Team’s title aspirations hostage.

25. packerrube13 says:
    Aug 8, 2011 11:50 AM

______________________

And as far as the Eagles being strapped for years to come, this isn’t Madden on franchise mode. This is real like cap management going on right now. The Eagles studied the Salary Cap situation and exacuted a plan that will make them the most competative team for years to come. Only signed 1 top flight CB to big money, 2 DL( who are actually on 1 year contracts if they fail to perform or stay healthy in Cullen Jenkins case). Please rate the Eagles according to what they are in Madden. Don’t forget, ANYONE can win a superbowl in Madden( Even the Browns and Bills) The Safety you say is subpar was rookie of the month before he was injured. So he was actually proving he was one of the best draft picks of the year, and he was the kid we got for McNabb. Our SS who started last year is gone to SF( see ya ) and the kid we drafted to replace him, hits like Brian Dawkins. Yea you hated the Vikings that year, because they actually got the job done and weren’t more than 3 yards away from going to the Superbowl. Had Brett Farve truly been healthy or sat out the last drive, they would’ve moved on to the Bowl. I swear I hate Packers fans.

26. He is going to want that Holmes type money and if he does not receive it he is gone. Add in having to resign Vick at what will need to be another huge deal and they have their work cut out for them.

27. packerrube13 says:
    Aug 8, 2011 11:50 AM

————————————————–

You lost all credibility when you claimed that D-Jax is overrated. The guy is one of the most explosive players ever to play this game.

Also you said the Eagles are going to be strapped against the cap for years to come. This idiotic comment just shows that you literally have no clue what you are talking about as the Eagles are never strapped against the cap. Most of these signings are one year deals except for Namdi who is worth every penny of his contract.

Also what Eagles fans are announcing they are superbowl champs already? Eagles fans know better then that. That being said.. You probably aren’t even fron Green Bay. Where are you really from? Probably just a Bandwagon fan.

28. The Eagles front office is not stupid. They have obviously carefully planned out this season. They will pay Jackson. He is obviously very driven by money, and if he doesn’t get what he wants, he won’t be explosive because he just won’t be in it, I feel. If I can figure this out, I am sure the FO can also. Everyone seems to forget that none of us are professionals. These people do this for a living. We are not smarter than them and probably would not do things better than they are. They are making decisions based on a lot of different factors. It sounds easy to say, “they need to do this” and “they need to do that”. Again, you’re forgetting that there are many factors involved and this is not an easy job. Just cut everyone a break and hope for the best…

29. Well, for the sake of the eagles fans and their front office I certainly hope that DeSean has been stretching his achillies tendon throughout the offseason.

It would really suck for all parties involved (except for DeSean) if he does get a big extension and then gets injured.

30. phillycheez says:

No Sir mr phillycheez, I do not wish my team had made those moves. You don’t win via free agency, you lose via free agency. Which big spender in FA has won in the last ten years? Exactly. It’s all about the draft, and my Packers are getting a huge talent infusion from the IR alone, but Cobb is going to be a stud WR. I’m not a hater, I love the Eagles and am in no way jealous (My team actually wins Superbowls, and doesn’t just talk about it. Also, we are the reigning champs), I just want the Eagles fans to shut up already. You made a few nice signings, but Andy Reid is a terrible crunch time coach in the playoffs. I’d love to see them actually do something before running the mouths on here.

Daddlyblack,

Go see how much remains on Al’s contract, and you’ll see the steal they got. His contract was SUPER front loaded, and the Pats can cut ties with almost no guaranteed money remaining. Get your facts straight before typing out ignorance.

31. I’m definitely not threatened. Even with your huge sum of money going to your CBs, who’s going to cover Finley, JJ, Jordy, Jennings, and Driver? Not to mention Watch for a Rodgers Scramble or a Starks or Grant run. Please. The Eagles are not even the team I’m concerned about. The Saints and Falcons are. The Eagles will win their division, then lose in the Wild Card Round. Mark it down.

I’m not a hater, there are just too many holes on that team. And you fans being obnoxious right now only makes this sweeter come January.

I’ll be on here. Feel free to search me out and talk to me in January! Your team is just like the Jets. Eveything looks great on paper, but it won’t come together, and you’ll crumble. Pats-Packers superbowl, and I’ll put $1000 on that straight up right now. Eagles won’t even sniff the NFCCG. Titles aren’t bought, or won through FA, they are built through the draft. See: Pats, Steelers, Packers, Colts, etc.

32. I dont know where Eagle fans are saying were gone to win it all no doubt? But we did improve ourself on D and that was our biggest problem last year and we were close to beating the superbowl champs so yes we do feel good about the up coming season!

33. packerrube13, you are a moron. Everyone runs their mouth on these posts because everyone likes his team…. Their O line is better than the packers and their D will be better than the packers. You know nothing about the eagles but yet you run your mouth. Lmao at you, retard!

34. Packerrube go to SI.com and read Peter Kings article about how they were able to handle this offseason and their position moving forward. You will quickly learn that not only are the Eagles not strapped next season…they are actually in great shape. They are currently 8 million under the cap. They are in such great shape that they will probably keep Vicks cap number at 16 million this season so that after they restructure his deal the cap hit will be significantly less in the upcoming years. So please don’t say the packers and patriots had better offseason, it just sounds ignorant.

35. packerrube13 says:
    Aug 8, 2011 12:53 PM
    phillycheez says:

Daddlyblack,

____________________________

Puhleeeeze. The Saints went out and got the greatest FA signing of the last 5 years alone by grabbing a FRANCHISE QB!!!! When the Pats beat the Eagles they had a VERY under the radar FA and won the Superbowl by 3 points against an Eagles team that was seriously held back by the fact our QB threw up on the last drive in the 2 min warning. YOU go and get your facts strait. And as far as Fat Al, if his contract was NOT an issue for ANYONE, would the Redskins REALLY need to settle for a 5th round pick 2 years from now? Just remember, the Eagles are LOADED with top flight players we drafted. We just also seen serious areas of concern that we have had a history of blowing draft picks on, so why not go and restock some key areas with FAs. Not all teams have the GB or Pit level FO’s. So the fact remains, the positions we needed to grab to seriously contend were available via FA so we grabbed them. As I said earlier. Go back to sleep. Please.

36. Let’s not forget the Saints traded for Vilma, grabbed Darren Sharper up as a FA( Used to be a Packer; remember ), i mean seriously, I have at least 5 more names that aren’t big but were FA’s none the less. Don’t be silly, if your team is able to grab a couple of stud players at the skill positions and gab a top 5 QB, you can do anything in this league. 1 loss to the eventual SB champs is not so upsetting to me. It reminds me of negative Philly fans who say you can’t win a SB passing the ball 50 times a game and that’s exactly what the Packers just did last year. Nothing matters at all until the games are played. Injuries happen, players get old, players step up out of nowhere, ISHT HAPPENS. The games must be played. Nothing any blowhard fans say will make any difference in the games. I just know I CAN’T WAIT!!!!!!!!

37. Packerrube13 is just an idiot. Everything he says is just media talking points and airchair GM nonsense. Only here to stir up Eagles fans. Nothing he says is of much importance and is clearly missing of any facts. “Everyone knows you build your team thru the draft.” REALLY????????? That’s why our starting MLB is a ROOKIE. That’s why our ENTIRE 1st team offensive SKILL positions are ALL drafted. Maclin(1st round pick), Jackson(2nd round pick), McCoy(2nd round pick), Avant(5th round pick), and Celek(5th round pick). Our Dline is Cole(5th round pick), Patterson(1st round pick), Dixon(undrafted FA), and Babin(Texans 1st round pick). LBs are Fokuo(7th round pick), Matthews(4th roun d pick), and Chaney(7th round pick). FS is Allen(2nd round pick). SS is Jarrett( 2nd round pick ). So we LOADED UP with CB’s that were FA. Looking at our draft history filling up the team, WHY NOT!!!!

38. Dang, now I’m craving a cheesesteak.

It’s time for the Eagles’ President to walk the walk and negotiate in good faith with DeSean after he showed up to camp. Other players are watching to see if the Eagles take care of their own or will discard them and play hardball.

39. Packerrube, barring a major injury (which could derail any team), the eagles will not be playing in the wild card round…you can take that to the bank. Oh and your team scored 21 points on us last year, the eagles aren’t scared of your offense, and Michael vick certainly isn’t scared of your defense so let’s see what happens when the games are played. Are the pack a great team? Of course they are, but I like the eagles chances if they stay healthy. So you sit there and worry about the saints and falcons…and we’ll sneak up and take that belt that Rodgers puts around his waist.

40. packerrube13 says:

————————————–

Actually, there have been three teams in the past fifteen years that have started the season with 8 new starters on defense (the Eagles will have 8 if Patterson cannot return) and each has reached the Super Bowl (Raiders, Rams, and one other team I don’t remember). The offense has 2 starters, I believe that were free agency pickups (Vick, Peters) and all the rest were drafted. Free agency does work when used judiciously, and in my opinion the Eagles were very smart and showed some stones. Not many teams have had more draft picks in the last ten years as the Eagles have, and they are among the youngest in the league.

41. He’s obviously earned a raise. For 99% of us, 600k sounds like a lot of money (it is). But compared to what many in the league make, it’s chump change. You can argue whwther he’s a top 5 WR or not, but you can’t argue that he’s not a not top 5 PLAYMAKER. As an Eagles fan, I love the offseason moves so far (except VY signing). But it’s almost embarassing that they didn’t take care of Jackson FIRST. When I think of some of the mediocre players they’ve re-signed early, it really leaves me wondering why they wouldn’t have done the same for a player that has added so much to the teams explosiveness.

42. packerrube13: I AGREE THAT THE EAGLES MADE SOME NICE SIGNINGS.and they havent done anything yet. but you do realize that one errant pass at the end of the game, and 2 missed field goals by a normally almost automatic kicker in a 5 point game was the only reason your PACKERS survived the first playoff round.

43. the bigger problem is that the eagles dont value desean jackson at the same value that he or most fans do. his skills lie in out running the secondary and punt returns(which he will be replaced in doing). folks the man caught 46 passes, he takes to many plays off, he cant go over the middle, he is not the best receiver on his team. he will be offered an adequate contract but it will not be whay he expects. this will be his last season as an eagle.

44. Packerrube13 you can brag about how your so called team Green Bay won the Superbowl, but you forget to mention how you aren’t even from Green Bay so you aren’t really a true Packers Fan.

45. Dear Eagles, pay the man! If he plays this season and “outperforms” again, you’ll be paying a lot more in the off-season.

46. phillycheez – Jason Peters wasn’t even a FA signing…he was acquired via trade from the Bills for a 1st & a conditional 4th.

And you can’t even count the Vick signing as a ‘high profile free agent signing’ – they got him out of prison for christ sakes.

Owen Schmitt was picked up via FA last year when Weaver went down and Jamaal Jackson was an UDFA,