Blaine Gabbert in line to start preseason opener

David Garrard AP

It looks like Blaine Gabbert will get to make up for a shaky first scrimmage with a preseason start on Thursday.

David Garrard sat out practice again Monday and sounds unlikely to be ready for the team’s preseason opener.

“I can’t try to force myself out there and set myself back again,” Garrard told Tania Ganguli of the Florida Times-Union. “If it means missing the first preseason game, unfortunately it means missing the first preseason game.”

Coach Jack Del Rio wouldn’t rule Garrard out just yet and said over the weekend he thought Garrard would be able to play.

It’s too early to read much into this. Gabbert needs to be lights out to make any quarterback decision tougher on Del Rio.

Permalink 14 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors
14 Responses to “Blaine Gabbert in line to start preseason opener”
  1. nationalmediacansuckit says: Aug 8, 2011 4:45 PM

I feel pretty confident Blaine Gabbert is going to work out well for the Jags. Seems like just yerterday this website and national talking heads said the Jaguars made a huge mistake by passing up on Tebow b/c he would save the franchise. I’ve been out of the loop lately, but speaking of Tebow, how’s he doing in Denver?

2. trbowman says: Aug 8, 2011 4:55 PM

And we’ll get our first glance of the true Blaine Gabbert. Once the bullets start flying, he folds. Expect him to abandon the pocket needlessly.

3. regisphilbin says: Aug 8, 2011 4:58 PM

Everything is starting to fall into place. Time to order the party supplies Jacksonville!!

4. hobartbaker says: Aug 8, 2011 4:58 PM

Does not make much difference whether Garrard plays Thursday or not. Vets usually only take a few snaps in first game.

But, I think they may have already decided they are going with Gabbert in the regular season. They threw a lot of crap at him during the scrimmage to try to rattle him. Receivers dropped his passes. But he seemed to pass the test.

5. tunesmith says: Aug 8, 2011 4:59 PM

Ha ha. Well, you won’t hear it from the national media, but the word is that both Tebow and Quinn have improved measurably from last season. Quinn moreso than Tebow (for Quinn it’s night and day compared to last season), but still not enough to take over #2 from Tebow, according to the depth chart that was released today.

Tebow had a bad first practice but has otherwise looked very solid in practices. He got sacked a bunch in scrimmage behind the #2 OL (against the #1 D), but Fox was complimentary of Tebow afterward.

Orton is still looking solid, but our pass-blocking hasn’t improved compared to last season, and Orton still has an achilles heel of not being able to handle blitzes, one of the things Tebow is possibly better at. So it’s still quite the conundrum. Right now, Quinn is looking more mobile than Orton and quicker in deciding than Tebow, so overall, it is still quite the conundrum.

6. medtxpack says: Aug 8, 2011 5:04 PM

he looks like sunshine, lets see how he plays…

7. trbowman says: Aug 8, 2011 5:33 PM

Like I’ve said, I’ll see you Jags fans again in three years when you’re drafting another QBOF. Gabbert won’t be it.

8. chowface86 says: Aug 8, 2011 6:00 PM

Trade for Brady Quinn, Gabbet boy is trash.

9. dgreenfi says: Aug 8, 2011 6:27 PM

Yo Gabba Gabba?

10. jagmania65 says: Aug 8, 2011 6:49 PM

trbowman says:Aug 8, 2011 5:33 PM

—————————————————–
    And you with Tebow…

11. trbowman says: Aug 8, 2011 7:02 PM

“Classic case of fans overrating their teams draft picks. Vikes doing it with Ponder. Jags with Gabbert.

—————————————————–
    And you with Tebow…”

You’ve got me confused with someone else, I don’t like Tebow’s NFL future at all.

12. jaxuar says: Aug 8, 2011 9:22 PM

13. trbowman says: Aug 8, 2011 9:53 PM

“@trbowman………….Please explain in detail why Gabbert is not the guy???? Don’t give me that folds under pressure crap either.”

Well, it’s true. He feels pressure where it doesn’t exist and bolts from the pocket. He hasn’t shown he can fit the ball in tight windows. He constantly overthrows receivers deep.

And really, he played in that offense and only threw for 16 touchdown passes. Just. He played in an offense that maskes his flaws.

I’m serious when I say I don’t see what makes him much better than Chase Daniel. It’s a classic case of a QB getting overdrafted because he “looks the part.”

14. whatswiththehate says: Aug 8, 2011 11:07 PM

hobartbaker says:Aug 8, 2011 4:58 PM

———
    So now receivers are intentionally dropping the ball to “rattle” Blaine.

Oh my, did I not call it. This kid is already getting the Brett Farve “can’t do no wrong” treament from the media and their sheeplings. Who couldn’t see this one coming.