Cotchery tours the AFC North

108360627_crop_650x440 Getty Images

Cut by the Jets, receiver Jerricho Cotchery is looking for a new home.

He visited the Steelers on Monday.  Tuesday, he’ll visit the Ravens, according to Aaron Wilson of the Carroll County Times.

The Ravens have a greater need at the position than the Steelers.  Baltimore has lost Derrick Mason to the Jets.  The Steelers go four deep with Hines Ward, Mike Wallace, Emmanuel Sanders, and Antonio Brown.

A seven-year veteran, Cotchery has 358 receptions for 4,514 yards and 18 touchdowns.

Permalink 31 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, New York Jets, Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
31 Responses to “Cotchery tours the AFC North”
  1. green41563 says: Aug 8, 2011 11:49 PM

If Cotchery left the Jets because he wanted to play more, what the hell is he doing visiting the Steelers?

In the end, Cotchery’s decision to leave will prove a big mistake because the guy can’t pass a physical right now. He’s coming off back surgery and could have used this year to get healthy while collecting a decent paycheck. Instead, he decided to go looking for a contract when his market value is at its absolute lowest.

2. jacksaysfu says: Aug 8, 2011 11:50 PM

Good pickup (if healthy) . Just stay away from the NFC EAST ! Go sign somewhere for a year, show you can be a solid #2 and cash in next year.

3. cardsfann1 says: Aug 8, 2011 11:50 PM

Come on out to the desert! Cards need another wr to line up on the other side of Larry.

4. iplayforrexryan says: Aug 8, 2011 11:55 PM

they always have limas sweed.

5. seananagan says: Aug 8, 2011 11:55 PM

Totally read “crotchety” at first glance.

6. depotnator says: Aug 9, 2011 12:12 AM

Please get your anti-Jet bias straight. Cotchery was not cut by the Jets- he was released per Cotchery’s request. In fact, he was released before his replacement had accepted the Jet’s offer – risky for the Jets but an appreciative gesture for all Cotchery had given to the Jets.

7. june20102002 says: Aug 9, 2011 12:14 AM

Nine drops and back surgery, Cotch, hope you see you had something steady at the Jets. Thought, you’d get that long term deal somewhere, think again, better players are on one year contracts.

As for Ellis, he felt disrespected, well he should thank Rex Ryan for his four million dollar contract with the Pats. If it wasn’t for Ryan’s scheme, and seeing Brady bounce around in the pocket for 5-8 seconds, he wouldn’t had those sacks in the division game. Ellis had three sacks and it wasn’t up to the last few weeks of the season, he got 1 1/2 sack which he ended with 4.5 sacks for the season, oh, he’s now on the PUP List in N.E.

The Jets had Ellis in his prime and when he was young, now they have an aging lineman, go luck with that.

For all Jet fans who felt it was dumb with these two moves, the same thing was said with Faneca and Jones leaving, and these team ended up in back to back AFC Championships, until this regime does it wrong I will not question their roster moves, they have earned that right in my opinion.

8. samoanjungle says: Aug 9, 2011 12:14 AM

Baltimore “Lost” Derrick Mason? If I throw something out of my car window while heading down the turnpike does that count as lost?

9. trbowman says: Aug 9, 2011 12:14 AM

Inb4 6 rings

10. 6ringofsteal says: Aug 9, 2011 12:19 AM

Man I hope he doesn’t make it to the Browns, they are already stockpilling some hard nosed players. My steelers are starting to fall apart physically and mentally. I Love Big Ben but his off the field behavior is unacceptable. My Mom even threw out my Ben Jersey when she heard about the Georgia thing last Year, and I’m 42 yrs. old WTF? she says since I still live in her house I have to live by her rules. At least she let me me keep my terribel towel and I still get the NFL sunday ticket if I keep my Room clean and feed my dog Hiney Hines. NOt a Bad Deal Huh? HERE WE Go RIng #7 WOOT WOOT

11. drgfri says: Aug 9, 2011 12:32 AM

Not sure why the Jets are so eager to let him go. Rex really needs to do some sole searching……

12. johnny1979 says: Aug 9, 2011 12:34 AM

I love the “experts” who say Mason replacing Cotchery is a down grade. Really???? Take a loom at the stats for the past few years.’Mason is the better player and makes less money. Who says the Jets don’t know what they’re doing? Back to back AFC Championships games is the proof.

13. johnny1979 says: Aug 9, 2011 12:35 AM

Cotchery is decent, but not all that good. No wonder he’s looking at average scum ball teams in the AFC North

14. getitdoneplz says: Aug 9, 2011 12:41 AM

Dependable, High character player who will help someone this year. Good for 60-800-7 and a playoff check or 3

15. ravensfan4life52 says: Aug 9, 2011 12:45 AM

sign him. why not?

16. lenke08 says: Aug 9, 2011 12:48 AM

Why not the browns we need a vet

17. buckifan4life says: Aug 9, 2011 1:02 AM

Um,…the Browns are wayyyy under the cap, why aren’t they all over Cotchery? That organization makes no sense.

18. rayjayjohnsonjr says: Aug 9, 2011 1:10 AM

This just in – Coch, Tiki and Mossy were spotted at B Favres front door yelling, ‘can we go play with the high schoolers with you’ hoss? As a side note, a voice inside the house was heard mumbling, ‘no way those d bags are gonna horn in with my schoolers’. Stay tuned.

19. alonestartexan says: Aug 9, 2011 1:31 AM

What ever happened to Limas Sweed ?

20. tyler200829 says: Aug 9, 2011 2:38 AM

PLEASE OZZIE DONT DO THIS. Unless hes given the veteran minimum to be a #4 guy then dont offer anything. As Ive been saying, trade a $th rounder for Lee Evans

21. xxravennationxx says: Aug 9, 2011 3:13 AM

Ravens should trade for Lee Evans and have him paired with Boldin…..

22. rabidmike says: Aug 9, 2011 3:43 AM

Don’t think it can officially be called a ‘tour of the AFC North’ until he visits Cleveland or Cincinnati. I’m just saying.

23. macjacmccoy says: Aug 9, 2011 3:51 AM

Cotchery is better then Sanders and Brown so I wouldnt count the Steelers out.

24. chowface86 says: Aug 9, 2011 6:14 AM

Crotch is gonna be the biggest pickup of the year. Grab your popcorn, this is going to be an amazing run. Sabol will have a hay day.

25. jtbaudendistel says: Aug 9, 2011 6:58 AM

Jerricho: Awesome name. Decent receiver.

26. joeflaccosunibrow says: Aug 9, 2011 7:10 AM

358 receptions, 357 drops

27. TheDPR says: Aug 9, 2011 7:16 AM

He can definitely help a team. He’s a little slow but he can get you a first down with one leg tied behind his back. Great hands. Hard worker. Smart player. A team would have to be run by morons to let him go.

28. etoharin78 says: Aug 9, 2011 8:46 AM

Cotch seems to have a chip on his shoulder since I saw him on “Hard Knocks” last year. I think someone will be rewarded for having faith in him and he’ll work extra hard to prove the naysayers wrong.

29. dynaco says: Aug 9, 2011 9:01 AM

The Jets will not miss a beat without the Big Cat or J-Co. The rest of the league has more old JETS than the entire Iraqi air force.

30. spunjmunke says: Aug 9, 2011 9:15 AM

The Browns are saying that they are going to build through the draft. Ok, as a Browns fan I think that’s fine, but come on! They need WR help in the worst way. Little, though fast and shows hints of brilliance, has hands of stone, MoMas has a bone issue in his foot, Robiskie is S—-L—-O—-W, and no matter what they say, Cribbs is not an every down WR.
    With all the money the Browns have, they can afford to take a flyer on a 1-2 yr contract to get some production from that position.

31. charmcitysittinpretty says: Aug 9, 2011 5:00 PM

The ravens shouldnt go this rout, who wants a number 2 receiver with a bad back, and he’s short, that’s why we got rid of d mase. I say trade for Evans in buffalo and pay him, he’s a legit 2 and a 1 wr on many teams, with the youth the ravens have and a revamped running game we would be great on offense, not too mention our defense is gonna be so good this year, and for anyone who isn’t a ravens fan, your not following our team like we do so keep your dumb mouths shut! Our rookies along with Sergio kindle are killing it in camp, the steelers better be ready with all that osteoarthritis you got on your defense flapping your jaws all offseason. Ike Taylor is a bum and won’t be able to swing with our young bucks. Were set got the next 5 years with this draft class, and if we (ravens) add a veteran wideout that’s not jerricho, were gonna be pretty dangerous. But if we do go that rout, it wouldnt be a terrible move, I’d rather have Evans or housh over jerricho….cool name though lol