Dalton remains on track to start in Cincinnati

Andy Dalton

Six quarterbacks were drafted in the top 36 picks this year.  Partly because of the short offseason, only two of the six QBs look like favorites to start in Week One.

Cam Newton was the first overall pick.  Andy Dalton was the second pick of the second round. But in Cincinnati, it sure looks like Dalton is the franchise quarterback: present and future.

“It would be great. It’s something I’m pushing and working hard for,” Dalton told Joe Reedy of the Cincinnati Enquirer.

Dalton took the most snaps with the No. 1 offense during the team’s scrimmage and mock game. Bengals.com Geoff Hobson’s says Bruce Gradkowski is “becoming Dalton’s backup.”

Dalton’s Mock game performance was lauded for taking what the defense gave him. The big plays may be out of Cincy’s offense.  They are more about short timing throws.

“He’s got a soothing way about him and a demeanor that makes everyone calm and confident, myself included. He looks at me like I’m crazy sometimes. He’s starting to correct me on plays,” offensive coordinator Jay Gruden says.

We don’t know yet whether Dalton really is ready or whether the team is talking him up as ready because he has to be ready.

One big factor that should help Dalton out: Basically everyone that has watched the Bengals over the last 10 days seems to think that No. 4 overall pick wideout A.J. Green is the truth.

“I think with Cedric [Benson], the receivers we have, and the tight end that we have, what the heck. Let’s make a run,” Gruden said.

UPDATE:

Permalink 39 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cincinnati Bengals, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
39 Responses to “Dalton remains on track to start in Cincinnati”
  1. eaglesfootballfan says: Aug 8, 2011 8:37 AM

The Bengals are in a very tough spot. Playing in a division with the Steelers and Ravens and a rookie as there QB. Marvin Lewis better hope Dalton works out.

2. wryly1 says: Aug 8, 2011 8:39 AM

Gonna be a very rough year for Dalton and Bengals. I suspect A. J. Green will be biting his tongue in frustration quite a bit.

3. clintonportisheadd says: Aug 8, 2011 8:41 AM

Aw shucks. I was anxiously awaiting the start of the Jordan Palmer era in Cincinnati.

4. 6ringnationsparksjealousy says: Aug 8, 2011 8:41 AM

Being on track in Cincinnati is a relative statement. This guy is gonna blow. lololololol 6

5. gulaid26 says: Aug 8, 2011 8:47 AM

poor guy. he’s gonna get killed.

6. johnnyglutes says: Aug 8, 2011 8:56 AM

Ginger’s don’t make good quarterbacks. Damn boy, everyone know dat.

7. pantherfan89 says: Aug 8, 2011 9:08 AM

Why in the wide world of sports is the Offensive Coordinator being corrected by a rookie QB after 1 week of practice? unbelievable! only in cincy!

8. realitypolice says: Aug 8, 2011 9:13 AM

Are those just practice jerseys or have the Bengals decided to switch to uniforms that DON’T look like they were designed as part of a kindergarden art project?

9. watermelon1 says: Aug 8, 2011 9:17 AM

Being in the AFC North isn’t that big of a deal. Only 2 seasons ago, the Bengals won the division by sweeping it.

The Ravens, Steelers, and Browns did nothing to really improve. They each added few pieces, but also lost some pieces.

Against the Ravens… all Dalton has to do is not turn the ball over, and perhaps lead the offense to a touchdown sometime during the game. Mike Zimmer’s defense will abuse Flacco just like always.

10. ticalcaldwell says: Aug 8, 2011 9:22 AM

We just won the division the year before last…Swept the almighty Ravens and Steelers, I think we have some solid players, I agree, the chances of doing well with a rookie qb is slim, I have been watching him at camp and he looks pretty good, who dey

11. ticalcaldwell says: Aug 8, 2011 9:23 AM

Let me guess, we should take a page from the Steeler handbook, right, maybe Dalton should come out of the portapoddy at camp with his ding-dong hanging out to earn some darn respect.

12. dickroy says: Aug 8, 2011 9:45 AM

It doesn’t really matter if Dalton works out or not. People will come and pay to see it, just like they help pay for the stadium. The goal in Cincy is to fill the stadium, not win games. The problem with people in Cincinnati is that they know this is Mike Browns only purpose, but they support him anyway.

13. mongobo says: Aug 8, 2011 9:45 AM

Seems like he’s more ready than the other quarterbacks on the roster, and being talked up the rest of the way.

I think the offense and defense are strong enough, and the schedule weak enough, to see this kid through the season without suffering permanent damage.

14. realitypolice says: Aug 8, 2011 9:52 AM

Do 11 thumbs down mean that there are people who actually LIKE the Bengals uniforms?

15. bigbeav82 says: Aug 8, 2011 9:56 AM

Longtime Bengals fan here. Have suffered many many abusive seasons here.. Hate Mike Brown as much as the next guy..but….I have to say I like what they have done so far this offseason. Starting a Rookie QB will have its ups and downs, but with the getting rid of the distractions and having some promising youth has me excited for the future. I do agree with Mike on the not trading Carson…You sign a contract you should honor it. Im all in on the Dalton-A.J Era..I truly think we will suprise some people this year who are underestimating us. No crazy Playoff prediction, but definitly competitive and a few more in the win colum than last year. WHO DEY!

16. realitypolice says: Aug 8, 2011 10:16 AM

bigbeav82 says:
    Aug 8, 2011 9:56 AM

=========================
    You mean like the owners do when they routinely dump guys with multiple years left on their contracts?

Or when they strong arm guys to take less money or get cut?

Or when the Dolphins bench Ronnie Brown in the 4th quarter of the last game of the season last year so he won’t get the 30 yards he needs to earn a bonus?

Is that what you mean by “honoring” contracts?

I’m sure you’ll all come back at me with “the contracts give the owners the right to do those things”.

Fair enough. The contract also gives Carson Palmer the right to walk away and forfeit his money.

So Carson Palmer is in fact “honoring” the terms of his contract.

17. ticalcaldwell says: Aug 8, 2011 10:17 AM

I agree with the off season (besides J.Joe). Although, we did pick up Clements, not tooo bad. We have addressed every need (except safety…darn u Whitner)…I do think we will be competitive….oh yeah…STEELERS FANS WILL KNOW A.J. GREEN..very soon….wait and see

18. 3octaveFart says: Aug 8, 2011 10:19 AM

bigbeav82 says: Aug 8, 2011 9:56 AM

“I do agree with Mike on the not trading Carson…You sign a contract you should honor it.”

Do you agree with Mike when he cuts a player that still has time left on his contract?

19. londonbengal says: Aug 8, 2011 10:23 AM

Carson who ?

20. Patskrieg dot com says: Aug 8, 2011 10:26 AM

“But in Cincinnati, it sure looks like Dalton is the franchise quarterback: present and future.”

Dalton seems like a nice kid, and a less than terrible quarterback, but this doesn’t seem like maaaaybe a little premature to say before he’s even taken 1 pre-season game snap?

21. bigbeav82 says: Aug 8, 2011 10:28 AM

@realitypolice

So if you sign a contract saying you will work for a company for x amount of years and sometime in the middle you decide you dont like it their anymore, you have the right to tell them you want out or your taking your ball and going home????Come on man… What kinda of door would that open to a team if you start letting people do that? Should have thought long and hard before HE negotiated the long term deal.. And yes A.J will be know throught the league very very soon…Gurauntee it

22. Move Them Chains says: Aug 8, 2011 10:41 AM

AJ Green – Let me introduce you to Jimmy Smith and Ed Reed.

23. dickroy says: Aug 8, 2011 10:48 AM

So Carson is not holding up to the contract he signed. Do owners ever break their end of a contract?

24. 1buckeye76 says: Aug 8, 2011 10:52 AM

3octaveFart says: Aug 8, 2011 10:19 AM

bigbeav82 says: Aug 8, 2011 9:56 AM

——————————-

ownerships’ right to void the contract and release the player is part of the contract which was negotiated and signed by the player… it may be a double standard, but it’s part of the contract that the players agree to.

25. realitypolice says: Aug 8, 2011 10:55 AM

bigbeav82 says:
    Aug 8, 2011 10:28 AM
    @realitypolice

===========================

What are you talking about? Are you telling me that players shouldn’t be allowed to retire before their contracts run out?

Because that’s all Palmer did. I’m pretty sure if I signed a contract for X amount of years, I could retire pretty much anytime I want, right?

Sorry you misunderstood my point so horribly.

26. ticalcaldwell says: Aug 8, 2011 10:58 AM

AJ Green is not trying to buy weed or collect social security, he does not need to meet Reed and Smith.

27. baboushka says: Aug 8, 2011 11:13 AM

Some of you all may be missing a key point. Cincinnati was a playoff team and on the rise 2 years ago with a great young Offensive line. They bought in “Team Obliterator” T.O. last year to team up with a woefully over rated QB, Carson Palmer. They abandoned the running game and Cedric Benson who actually got them to the playoffs. Their Young Tight End got hurt early. And they scarificed the promising Jordan Shipley for T.O. That team was demoralized mostly by inept and uninspiring QB play and leadership by Carson Palmer. For the life of me I don’t know why the Bengals didn’t trade him to a sucker team like Arizona or Seattle for a #1 pick. Now they’ll never get it.

I think this kid and his entusiasm is exactly wht the Bengals need. If he can just manage the game and use Benson as a workorse again. They could emerge as a shocker team this year. They have a legit potential Superstar in A.G. Green. A potential possession star in Shipley. A legit star already in Tight End Gresham. A superb O Line. And a real stud in Benson (who is the key). They have the potential to be a nightmare spoiler for those perrenial playoff teams if Dalton plays just half as good as Bradford, Stafford or the Josh ??? kid in Tampa.

Dalton is in the best situation of all the drafted QB rookies. Because he will be forced to be a game manager with a great arsenal of weapons to manage. That will make him and his team better. If he stays healthy, his light switch will go on by game 6-8. And look out if they are 500 or better. If he and their defense are up to the task, the Bengals will be a surprise playoff contender IMO.

28. marilynpost says: Aug 8, 2011 11:18 AM

Truth is Dalton has a better power arm in the heat of the game than cammie n. does–is Dalton as big a pyscho-mess as the steelers QB’s ? is he a well devloped ego maniac like cammie? If the answer is no to both questions you are looking at the AFC North champion..it could have never been Palmer- let Palmer go into retirement.
    The Football Beast has a higher standard for who wins championships and would pick flacco if no better choice remained..just won’t see the steel franchise for a long long time as AFC N champs.

29. quizguy66 says: Aug 8, 2011 11:36 AM

Dalton’s the guy I wanted so I’m glad to see he’s off to a decent start. My expectations are tempered for the first 2 years regardless.

Found this bit interesting as a Bengals fan “and the tight end that we have” – singular. Chase Coffman definitely should be renting, not buying, it sounds like.

-QG

30. bigbeav82 says: Aug 8, 2011 11:39 AM

@realitypolice

Sure you can retire at any time you want, but just because you dont get your way is why you would do it??? Who wants a guy like that on their team. The Bengals planned on Carson being there for that amount of time and built their tam around that, so when Carson hits them with the trade me or I retire act and puts them in a position to sign a free agent or draft a rookie why would you give him what he wants.

31. thephantomstranger says: Aug 8, 2011 11:47 AM

32. 1buckeye76 says: Aug 8, 2011 11:59 AM

Move Them Chains says: Aug 8, 2011 10:41 AM

AJ Green – Let me introduce you to Jimmy Smith and Ed Reed.

————————

aj owned jimmy smith last year in the georgia vs colorado game. he had 7 catches, 119 yards, and 2 tds. Best catch in college football last year was made by AJ right in Jimmy Smith’s face for a score…. get used to it.

33. baboushka says: Aug 8, 2011 12:11 PM

@thephantomstranger says:
    Aug 8, 2011 11:47 AM
    “No rookie QB has started his first game without the benefit of any offseason practice or communication with his coaches. I don’t see this turning out well.”

Under normal circumstances, I’d agree. But this was not normal. All of those coaches who had rookie QBs worked closely with veiled, second party QB coach proxies, who worked out their rookie QBs with their playbooks. This happened right after the court lifted the lockout. Brett Favre even worked out Cam Newton for Carolina. And team coaches were in close contact with those proxies. While they didn’t have direct contact. I bet they did a lot of film analysis and third hand instruction. I bet that’s why some of those rookies look so promising early in camp.

34. trickbunny says: Aug 8, 2011 12:22 PM

Look at the bright side: If his skull is thick enough, and he dyes some black stripes into his hair, he won’t need a helmet :)

35. thephantomstranger says: Aug 8, 2011 1:03 PM

baboushka says:
    Aug 8, 2011 12:11 PM
    @thephantomstranger says:
    Aug 8, 2011 11:47 AM

____________

Sorry, I don’t see Favre working with Newton or Chris Weinke working with Christian Ponder as being equivalent to going through OTAs and spending time with the coaches. Rookie quarterbacks almost always struggle, especially those taken in the second round, so I don’t think this year’s process is going to help them.

36. granadafan says: Aug 8, 2011 4:33 PM

Al Davis never met a contract he didn’t try to break and didn’t sue the other party.

37. yankees2009 says: Aug 8, 2011 6:36 PM

Worst Case Scenario: Dalton and AJ suck and the Bengals are in the exact same position they are in now three years from now.

Best Case Scenario: Dalton is the next Montana, Green is the next Jerry Rice.
    Improbable? Yes. Impossible? No.

38. voyager6 says: Aug 8, 2011 9:10 PM

Dalton’s success will be tied to the success of the O-line. If he gets a lot of pressure, Dalton will be awful, perhaps save a play or two with his feet, but he will learn quickly that you can’t run consistently on NFL defenses. Eventually you get slammed down and hurt.

If Dalton get’s hurt, the year is toast.

39. opie333 says: Aug 9, 2011 12:17 AM

I think bs that owners get to hold all the cards on contracts. Like in Carson’s case. If he doesn’t want to play there the owner should be made to deal him or release him. If the shoe was on the other foot the owner can release him at anytime! That total bs for the players, and the way they got hosed on there new ten year deal!