Mikel Leshoure will miss the season

Detroit Lions Training Camp Getty Images

The injury to rookie Lions running back Mikel LeShoure was as bad as initially feared.

Lions coach Jim Schwartz confirmed the second round pick will miss the season with a torn Achilles tendon.  It’s a big blow to a Lions team excited about their early draft picks, but have also seen first-rounder Nick Fairley undergo surgery.

Jahvid Best is probably not suited for 300 touches and the Lions would rather not give Maurice Morris a huge role again, so look for Detroit to investigate free agent options.

If there is a bright spot here, at least the injury came at a position that is reasonably easy to replace.  Ricky Williams, Clinton Portis, Tiki Barber, Jerome Harrison, and former Lion Kevin Smith are among the players still unsigned.

Tashard Choice and Steve Slaton could be available via trade.

Permalink 61 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Detroit Lions, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
61 Responses to “Mikel Leshoure will miss the season”
  1. realitypolice says: Aug 8, 2011 12:03 PM

Jerome Harrison.

Can’t believe he doesn’t have a job. He’s averaged 4.4 and 4.7 YPC the last two seasons, 4.8 for his career.

In 2009, he had 286 yards in one game.

Not saying he’s a superstar, but unemployed?

2. shackdelrio says: Aug 8, 2011 12:04 PM

Tearing your Achilles is almost worse now than tearing your ACL. I wish him the best…

3. egls7 says: Aug 8, 2011 12:04 PM

Tough break for lions

4. davemeisner says: Aug 8, 2011 12:04 PM

I’d like to see Ricky or Harrison sign with the Lions. Portis is too much of a risk, he’s only played 13 games in the last 2 years.

5. pbolyard says: Aug 8, 2011 12:05 PM

This just sucks!!

6. alphaq2 says: Aug 8, 2011 12:06 PM

Man that is unlucky. Got to feel bad for the Lions. I think Portis would make sense. He could help keep Stafford on his feet.

7. davemeisner says: Aug 8, 2011 12:06 PM

Jerome is also from Kalamazoo, MI. I see him as a front-runner.

8. thephantomstranger says: Aug 8, 2011 12:09 PM

Tough break for Leshoure and Lions fans. I doubt this will temper the fans’ optimism for the season, though. I still think they have a good shot at finishing ahead of Chicago this year.

9. green41563 says: Aug 8, 2011 12:10 PM

shackdelrio says: Aug 8, 2011 12:04 PM

_____________________________________

ALMOST worse? It’s about 10 times worse.

Hundreds of RBs have come back fine from ACL tears. How many have come back from achilles tears? Virtually none.

10. plundergrunge says: Aug 8, 2011 12:11 PM

Kevin Smith probably shouldn’t return.

I’d say Choice.

11. ICDogg says: Aug 8, 2011 12:11 PM

Jerome Harrison is the best choice, and actually a pretty good option considering.

12. 6ringofsteal says: Aug 8, 2011 12:15 PM

13. chace1986 says: Aug 8, 2011 12:15 PM

The “restore the roar” movement is looking like it needs to lower their target to a loud purr.

14. sanjosecupcrazy says: Aug 8, 2011 12:21 PM

It’s amazing how horrible the Lions luck has been with injuries to their top picks in recent years. It’s too bad for this team and their fans — they deserve better.

15. theytukrjobs says: Aug 8, 2011 12:21 PM

Not positive on this but I’ve heard that if you completely tear the achiles tendon it snaps all the way up to your knee.

Just imagine what that would feel for a moment. For something to snap up from your heel to your knee.

16. dbellina says: Aug 8, 2011 12:21 PM

Tashard Choice would be a very interesting option if they went after him. I think Ricky Williams wold be a better back up for them.

17. lovemesumlions says: Aug 8, 2011 12:22 PM

The luck of the Lions…man this sucks.

18. cornernum23 says: Aug 8, 2011 12:28 PM

Man! This offseason, WTF? This has to be at least the 4th or 5th achilles tear that I’ve heard of so far!

19. mac3333 says: Aug 8, 2011 12:29 PM

Poor kid’s career is over before it started.

Lions fans don’t deserve this.

20. asublimeday says: Aug 8, 2011 12:30 PM

And the kittens remain the kittens.

21. notthekiller says: Aug 8, 2011 12:32 PM

Okay people why is does everyone go from one extreme to another? This guy was an unproven rookie that “COULD” or could not have been better or possible worse then guys like Jerome Harrison! So yeah he had a possiblity of being great or terrible. Plus running backs in a passing league, are a dime a dozen!! (The Lions are a passing team)!!

22. asublimeday says: Aug 8, 2011 12:32 PM

———–/——-/–

Same thing you fools said last year

23. terrellochouno says: Aug 8, 2011 12:36 PM

I don’t think this is as bad as it seems. No one was hanging the Lions’ season on Mikel Leshoure, and if they can get Jerome Harrison, a veteran & a banger who’s experienced yet fresh, they’ll be much better off. I can’t believe Philly let this guy go, & before we picked up hightower I was hoping he’d come to Washington.

24. feldman9000 says: Aug 8, 2011 12:37 PM

“Yeah, I think Harrison could be a beast in the right system. I remember him tearing through my steelers defense when he played for the Browns. Heck, I’d take any of those free agent RB’s over who we have on my team here in pitt. I’m seriously considering trading in my #7 jersey for a Tim Tebow jersey. I have been verbally abused every time I go to Big Lots and Aldi’s etc. They cough”Raper” etc. when I turn the aisle, its embarrasing. I actually thought my Steelers would win a 7th. ring soon, but now I realize I was delusional and I need to switch teams. We had a good run though. Darn It!”

Yeah I hear the Packers are taking applications since they just won the Super Bowl. Then i’m 100% sure you can jump ship to whoever wins it this year too!!

25. Grulks says: Aug 8, 2011 12:45 PM

“Tashard Choice could be available via trade.”

Sure he is. Dallas will gladly trade him to you for a 1st, 3rd, sixth, and a 7th the following year ;)

All kidding aside, sucks the kid got injured.

26. realitypolice says: Aug 8, 2011 12:46 PM

@6ringofsteal:

Hilarious.

I don’t think some of the posters on here realized what you were doing there, but I wanted to let you know that I did.

Look at the screen name again, dummies.

27. rickycubane says: Aug 8, 2011 12:48 PM

as an eagles fan i can honestly say if there is any other team i want to see winning it the detroit lions.. their fans have been thru enough busts and injuries, early retirements, bad front office moves.. somebody give them a break

28. henrykissingerisgod says: Aug 8, 2011 12:48 PM

next is stafford, at least this will prepare lions fans for that inevitable injury…

29. jacksaysfu says: Aug 8, 2011 12:49 PM

Lets not make Jerome Harrison out to be AP or CJ. The guy only got about 40 touches last year for a reason. Be smart DET…

30. pthompson1187 says: Aug 8, 2011 12:56 PM

They should bring in Harrison or portis. Both would bring a veteran presence to the lions. As a browns fan i can relate to all the years of suckage and seems the lions are on the verge of a winning season.

31. jacksaysfu says: Aug 8, 2011 1:00 PM

Bring in Ricky, Tiki, Jerome ,and kevin… LET THE BEST MAN WIN!

Or we can give you Ronnie Brown and Asante, and we’ll be generous and just take Calvin Johnson.
    Seriously though good luck lions fans!

32. threedeep1998 says: Aug 8, 2011 1:11 PM

Make a move for Chester Taylor and a speedster.

33. Patskrieg dot com says: Aug 8, 2011 1:15 PM

I’m gonna throw a name out there that nobody will like, but Lions fans should consider…

Laurence Maroney.

Awaiting your thumbs downs.

34. feartheelf19 says: Aug 8, 2011 1:15 PM

As a Browns fan, I always thought Harrison would be a beast, but his lack of blocking ability is why he never saw the field consistently. He does have a great skill set though.

If I’m the Lions, I am looking at Ricky Williams. He’s still got something left in the tank.

35. feartheelf19 says: Aug 8, 2011 1:16 PM

Scratch that Ricky just went to the Ravens…..

36. denverdave3 says: Aug 8, 2011 1:19 PM

If Harrison would be a good Choice, would Choice be a good Harrison?

The Lions smell a lot like Denver did last year, losing top notch talent (All pro Dumervile) before the first kick-off.

There are a handful of teams that have been on top for so long, this wouldn’t be all that disappointing, but The Lions have struggled for so long, I suspect most fair-minded fans, including me, are pulling for them.

37. ticalcaldwell says: Aug 8, 2011 1:21 PM

bunch of China Dolls

38. jeremyhurst02 says: Aug 8, 2011 1:31 PM

The Lions are unfortunately becoming a 1 step forward, 2 steps back kind of organization. I had high hopes for them, even though I am not a fan of any team in the division.

39. jsrdc says: Aug 8, 2011 1:32 PM

tough, tough loss. They had big plans for this kid. Well, jerome Harrison is still out there, as is Portis, and either would likely be the best fit to complement Best. Unless the Lions can trade with another team with a loaded backfield, their options are limited. They will need somebody to help take the pressure off of Stafford. It is really disappointing, although not surprising to see these types of injuries given the extremely short off-season due to the lockout. Detroit will do the best it can finding another guy to fill in. Hopefully Leshoure will be back and 100% next year.

40. klunge says: Aug 8, 2011 1:56 PM

Like Emmitt Smiff says, “The one thing that derail a team is a thing called the injury bugs.”

41. forevercorr says: Aug 8, 2011 2:08 PM

I think the lions should trade for Tashard Choice, and that way, every week in the running game, the can claim they went with their Best Choice.
    What? I think it’s funny.
    Seriously though, tough break for Mikel. Just lucky it happened now and not 10 years ago. Kid has a good shot at coming back from this.

42. Deb says: Aug 8, 2011 2:11 PM

Hope this is the end of the Lions’ bad luck for this season. Am looking forward to seeing what they can do. Definitely a team on the rise.

43. darocnessmonsta says: Aug 8, 2011 2:11 PM

yes lions please make a trade for tashard choice so we ca get more than he is worth to even out that Roy Williams trade froma couple years ago!!

44. hatesycophants says: Aug 8, 2011 2:15 PM

This sucks. I hope the rookie can one day live his dream. Having said that, I agree with terelleocho…

Forward.

Go Badgers! Go Lions!

45. cmutimmah says: Aug 8, 2011 2:17 PM

jeremyhurst02 says:
    Aug 8, 2011 1:31 PM

———————-

You’re right… Leshoure getting hurt completely trumps the signings of the LBs, CBs, Fairley, a healthy Stafford and Best, and a year of growth for this young team.

They did NOTHING but improve the lineup this offseason. Leshoure was a small piece and easily replaceable.

46. terrellochouno says: Aug 8, 2011 2:48 PM

jacksaysfu says:
    Aug 8, 2011 12:49 PM

——-

I don’t think anyone was trying to say that, but of all the guys on the market right now, Harrison brings the best value at the best price. Better Harrison than Maurice Morris.

47. m2karateman says: Aug 8, 2011 2:53 PM

Martin Mayhew doesn’t make poor trades. He won’t give up the farm for Tashard Choice, or any other player. Besides which, the Lions can wait until they release Choice and then put in a claim for him when most other teams have their rosters set.

It’s a tough year to be a Lions fan….so far. LeShoure getting injured is just the latest, but it’s the only season ending injury. Teams are still going to have to prepare for Jahvid, Calvin, Pettigrew, Burelson….and deal with a devastating front four with improved linebackers and secondary.

Playoffs? Not a prediction, but not a pipe dream either.

48. hatesycophants says: Aug 8, 2011 3:11 PM

@klunge,

Hilarious! That quote is verbatim. Cowboys fans, “verbatim” means… never mind.

Thanks, Deb!

49. dallasfan74 says: Aug 8, 2011 3:15 PM

Choice is a darn good running back when he has the ball in his hands, but he is not the greatest when it comes to pass protection. I bet the lions could get Choice from the cowboys for a 4th or 5th round pick.

50. andyreidisfat says: Aug 8, 2011 3:27 PM

Look this may be a blessing in disguise for the Lions. As i think they will sign Harrison who is a great running back and given the chance the kid WILL be a star.

Harrison is a bit unlucky in who he plays behind. He plays great one year then Hillis gets a head of him because he is basicly unstopable . Then Harrison goes to PHilly where Shady is just a budding superstar in the NFL ( How does all Philly brothers like tha, next time when i say we want Shady and not knshown perhaps you will listen).

If the Lions can get harrison and team him with the speedster they have i think they have a decent running game. If stafford can stay healthy (the biggest question) then i am still sticking with my prediction that the lions shock the world and win the division with the Vikings finsihing second and the pack third.

51. dexterismyhero says: Aug 8, 2011 3:30 PM

Tough break for the Lions. They will be a better team this year with or without him…

The Emmit Smiff quote is awesome…….

52. yem123 says: Aug 8, 2011 3:32 PM

Oh no! I loved Leshoure in college, I thought he could easily be offensive ROY this year. I hope he can come back from this. The good news for him is that he is a big guy, he has power, and isn’t totally reliant on speed, but DAMN……….

53. marv80 says: Aug 8, 2011 3:32 PM

I like either choice or Harrison if Dallas takes a future low rounder (not next year) then I will do it if not Get Harrison I think he has something to prove and bringing him to his home team would make him play a little better. all we need is a back to share the load with best if he does a decent job he would live beyond his expectations here.

54. klunge says: Aug 8, 2011 3:54 PM

hatesycophants says:
    Aug 8, 2011 3:11 PM
    @klunge,

Hilarious! That quote is verbatim. Cowboys fans, “verbatim” means… never mind.
    ———————————————–

Yes it is verbatim, unedited…I pondered making that known but figured anyone who knows and loves the broadcasting styles of Emmitt needed no explanation, and if you don’t know it then there’s no point.

Everything that guy says is comic gold, he needs another TV gig!

Back on topic though, sorry for Mikel but I’m sure my Lions will pick up the pieces and fill his shoes. It’s not like he’s actually played a down yet so we only miss out on his potential, not actual production. Better it happened now when A) there are still options to replace him, and B) he can get a head start healing for next year’s camp.

55. Derty Ernie says: Aug 8, 2011 4:05 PM

When I read how dominant the Lions would be this year and how great their draft was I again scoffed. Your talking aobut someone who grew up watching thse guys win championships in the 50′s and after that finding 50 reasons to have 50 bad seasons. I expected the worst to happen and again I was correct.

Always bet on this team to fail and you will be a winner.

Lets see, first round pick out indefinitely with a broken or whatever foot. Number two draft pick out for the season (maybe career) with achiles tendon tear. Two offensive linement out for how long no one knows. A QB with China doll shoulders who hasn’t been tackled yet.

All these loses and they haven’t played one down yet. They are at the bottom of the division already and haven’t started the pre-season.

Their bad luck parallels the energizer bunny, it just keeps going…………….

56. souldogdave says: Aug 8, 2011 4:13 PM

Williams signed with Baltimore.

57. beefbus says: Aug 8, 2011 4:16 PM

Cue the excuses for Lions fans everywhere on why they’ll have a having losing record again.

58. theduuuuuuuuuude says: Aug 8, 2011 4:27 PM

Tough break for this kid, but I don’t think it will be as big of a deal for the Lions as some of you seem to think. You never really know what a player can do in the NFL until you see them play. I wouldn’t be too concerned over losing an unproven rookie to injury when there are a lot of solid options left at HB out there. Sucks for Leshoure because there is almost no chance of him being able to come back from this kind of injury, but I think he would have been a small part of the Lions offense and won’t be missed, for this season anyway.

59. cleonslamminsalmon says: Aug 8, 2011 4:28 PM

Who needs Leshoure when they got Joey Harrington chucking the ball around to Charles Rog…Roy Wi…Mike Wi…Calvin Johnson

60. gosuhgo says: Aug 8, 2011 7:00 PM

I don’t see why Maurice Morris gets so much hate. Hes not Barry or anything but he was pretty good at the end of the season in short yardage. He was easily our best runner at the end of the season. His stats aren’t great but hes certainly serviceable.

61. jtam963 says: Aug 8, 2011 7:27 PM

Haha Lions, too bad. Another excuse for a losing season.

Bear Down