Cam Newton a backup on first depth chart

2011 NFL Draft Getty Images

There are initial depth chart designations worth noting, and there are others that don’t mean a lot.

We’re not reading too much into the fact that Jimmy Clausen is listed as Carolina’s starting quarterback on the team’s first depth chart released on Tuesday.

It’s a sign Clausen will start the preseason opener, but that’s not a shock. Coach Ron Rivera has already said he won’t name a starter before Week One. Newton has been impressive in camp by all accounts, throwing two touchdown strikes over 65 yards.

Some other notes from the depth chart:

1. Wideout Legedu Naanee is listed on the third team, which shows the depth chart may not mean much. He’s been running with the starters lately and could be the No. 2 wideout before it’s over.

2. 2009 second round pick Everette Brown has been demoted out of the starting lineup in favor of 2010 fourth-rounder Eric Norwood. The Panthers gave up a first round pick to nab Brown.  That’s how you go 2-14.

3. Your Panthers starting defensive tackles: rookie Sione Fua and rarely used Corvey Irvin.  Yeah, teams may want to run against Carolina.

Permalink 30 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Carolina Panthers, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
30 Responses to “Cam Newton a backup on first depth chart”
  1. hobartbaker says: Aug 9, 2011 5:51 PM

He is still holding off newcomer Derek Anderson on the depth chart however.

2. hobartbaker says: Aug 9, 2011 5:53 PM

Pete Prisco was watching the Panthers the past couple of days, curious to see what he has to say. He didn’t sound especially impressed with the Newt.

3. charmcitysittinpretty says: Aug 9, 2011 5:54 PM

Nothing will help Carolina….sorry
    But I am pulling for ya, hate that whole decision except for you guys

4. mrcosio says: Aug 9, 2011 5:55 PM

Eh, Sam Bradford was the back up during the preseason games

5. rukiddnme29 says: Aug 9, 2011 5:57 PM

Gino Torretta didn’t win the heisman because of bad counting either.

6. shieldsisland37 says: Aug 9, 2011 6:02 PM

Cam will move the chains and score tds. Can he read a zone blitz on 3rd and 8 to win a big game? Thats left to be seen.

7. Deb says: Aug 9, 2011 6:04 PM

I’m a skeptic when it comes to spread QBs in the NFL, and Auburn ran a simplified spread. But Cam has a advantages over Tebow. He’s a couple of inches taller–doesn’t look it, but he’s Roethlisberger’s size. And he’s not hampered by Tebow’s windup throwing motion. Newton’s challenges will be learning the pro playbook and reading complex defenses. If he masters that, he’ll be dangerous.

8. peester15 says: Aug 9, 2011 6:08 PM

did Josh Freeman, Aaron Rogers…etc start their first games?

9. whatswiththehate says: Aug 9, 2011 6:11 PM

hobartbaker says:Aug 9, 2011 5:53 PM

—————-
    Why am I not surprised you would say this. His twitter stated that he felt Cam would start the season. I guess something must have impressed him in order for him to state that since he really don’t know.

10. weweresafe says: Aug 9, 2011 6:12 PM

Having the playbook for less than 5 days might have something to do with it

11. bigbrad184 says: Aug 9, 2011 6:14 PM

Thanks for Mike Iupati, Carolina! That Everette Brown trade was great.

12. tjacks7 says: Aug 9, 2011 6:20 PM

“He’s on his back foot throwing 50-yard passes. I mean, c’mon,” Steve Smith said last week. “I’m not going to sit here every week and say how good Cam is. He didn’t win the Heisman Trophy because there was bad counting on the ballot.”

——————————————–

My question is: how many of those are catchable?

My guess is: 10% max

13. tjacks7 says: Aug 9, 2011 6:22 PM

Didn’t Kyle Boller throw 50+ yard passes from his knees? Worked out great for him in the end.

14. rjkilla says: Aug 9, 2011 6:37 PM

your welcome…despite the fact you got a pretty good player out of the trade your still the niners and this isn’t 20 years ago

15. RK says: Aug 9, 2011 7:06 PM

Forfeit is still listed at 3rd behind Clausen and Newton, but it’s still early. He’ll make a sting case.

16. asublimeday says: Aug 9, 2011 7:22 PM

Get used to being a back up. Clausen will grab this job by the balls.

17. shorttracknews says: Aug 9, 2011 7:34 PM

Shockey listed as starter at TE over Olsen is the biggest crime on that depth chart

18. bullethead527 says: Aug 9, 2011 8:12 PM

Im a big Cam fan, but to be honest, i rather give Jimmy the chance to prove himself this year, cuz last year nobody in the league couldve survived the worst play calling in history, with a bunch of coaches who didnt care to win and a roster filled with injuries all on all fronts, with the weapons we have, in the running game and TE position, with Steve Smith and maybe Leg a neenay whatever is name is (he knows the offense) and a healthy oline, we are giving whoever starts the chance prove themselves as a starter. If its Cam, Jimmy or Anderson I just want a QB that can manage the game so we have a chance to win more than we lose…….

19. thereisalwaysnextyear says: Aug 9, 2011 8:13 PM

Yeh and Patrick Ramsey could throw the ball through a wall, BUT couldn’t make the right decisions under game conditions. I don’t care about the trophy(let’s look at the track record of Heisman winning QB’s), until Cam can show he’s more than a mildly accurate spread QB on a GREAT team he’s nothing. Good luck…

20. tennesseeoilers says: Aug 9, 2011 8:30 PM

As a Nashvillian who relocated to Charlotte last year, I must say, I haven’t seen this much local excitement over a draft pick since another national champion QB was taken as a team’s No. 1 pick–Vince Young in ’06. Here’s hoping things turn out MUCH better for Cam and the Panthers.

21. asublimeday says: Aug 9, 2011 9:31 PM

Shockey is above Olsen because Olsen can’t block. Same reason the bears unloaded him.

22. screamingsheep69 says: Aug 9, 2011 9:31 PM

Scrubs at defensive tackle, and corners that can’t cover. Plenty of problems other than who is gonna start at QB in the preseason.

23. tarheelpirate says: Aug 9, 2011 9:44 PM

Before camp began, I would have been certain that Jimmy Clausen would be the Week 1 starter. Now, I would be shocked if Cam doesn’t start.

From everything that I’ve read and heard, Cam has been very impressive. We’ll find out for sure during the preseason. You just can’t tell until he is facing live defenses that can actually hit him.

24. qdog112 says: Aug 9, 2011 10:00 PM

I’m not quite ready to name this period in pro football the Cam Newton era, but this could be the start of something very good for modern football.

I’ve been around to see several decades of college football and I cannot think of a more dominant player – from the mid 60′s to today. I watched Cam in his scrimmage Saturday and his game translates very well to the pros.

I predict if you are a non-believer, you won’t be for long.

25. skylark70455 says: Aug 9, 2011 10:05 PM

I guess that’s today’s economy… even the value of “wow” has depreciated. lol

26. djp141 says: Aug 9, 2011 11:29 PM

“Clausen will grab this job by the balls.”

Based on last year’s performance, I’ll say Jimmy will miss the balls by 10 yards.

27. rjkilla says: Aug 9, 2011 11:35 PM

just wanted to add…highschool championship…junior college championship…national championship…winning?

28. cassrangers says: Aug 9, 2011 11:48 PM

well, Cam doesn’t seem to have very good accuracy, and I don’t think that’s something you can teach, he’s big, strong arm, mobile… but he’s not very fast, and he’s not very accurate.. the one guy that he reminds me of is…. yes, you guessed it… JaMarcus Russell.. Sorry Newt and Carolina fans, but this guy isn’t going to be just as bad.. I’m just curious to see what they do if Andrew Luck is on the board for them next year… that’s why they should have taken A.J. Green, worked with JC for another season, and if you’re bad, grab your FRANCHISE guy, cause Newton ain’t it… sorry folks

29. flapjackdaddy says: Aug 10, 2011 9:50 AM

@shieldsisland…

You don’t think Alabama has a zone blitz?

30. axespray says: Aug 10, 2011 1:23 PM

Deb says:Aug 9, 2011 6:04 PM
    “I’m a skeptic when it comes to spread QBs in the NFL….”

In case you didn’t watch Aaron Rodgers during the superbowl, here’s what happened, he was standing behind five guys and had five other guys SPREAD out and run routes all over the Steeler’s defense…..just sayin’.