NFL’s Abdullah brothers get White House invitation

Abdullah_Husain

Cardinals safety Hamza Abdullah and Vikings safety Husain Abdullah have been excused from their teams today as they travel to Washington to be guests at a White House dinner.

The Abdullah brothers were invited to tonight’s Iftar dinner to celebrate the Muslim holy month of Ramadan.

I’m still in shock over it,” Hamza Abdullah told the Arizona Republic. “I’m still waiting to get to the airport and they say, ‘OK, it’s fake.’”

The invitation comes a year after the Abdullah brothers gained national attention for fasting during daylight hours throughout Ramadan, which meant going through grueling training camp practices in the August heat without drinking any water.

Hamza will fly from Phoenix to Washington today, visit the White House and then fly to Oakland to play in the Cardinals’ preseason game against the Raiders on Thursday. Husain will return to Minnesota after the dinner to prepare for the Vikings’ preseason game at Tennessee on Saturday.

Permalink 46 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Arizona Cardinals, Home, Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors
46 Responses to “NFL’s Abdullah brothers get White House invitation”
  1. bcjim says: Aug 10, 2011 8:57 AM

Lol, this ought to go well…

2. flyerscup2010 says: Aug 10, 2011 8:58 AM

can’t wait until the rather large intolerant segment of the PFT commenting community turns this into “Obama’s a muslim too”

or even better, “SHOULDN’T OBAMA BE CREATING JOBS INSTEAD OF EATING DINNER WITH NFL PLAYERS LOL”

never ceases to amaze me. and i don’t even like obama.

3. semperfi24 says: Aug 10, 2011 8:59 AM

So, I dont suppose that this is going to fuel the speculation that Obama is a muslim, right???

(yes, sarcasm)

4. cup1981 says: Aug 10, 2011 9:00 AM

I haven’t heard anything this year, I wonder if they are fasting. That is a tough thing for anyone to do, let alone someone going through training camp.

They could do it another month, as the Koran allows that if it can potentially cause harm, which fasting during camp can. They stay true and do it on the actual month.

Good for them, and I hope they have a wonderful Idul Fitri… FYI my wife is Muslim ;) . Not me though.

5. godofwine330 says: Aug 10, 2011 9:12 AM

It is an honor, and their dedication to their religion is amazing, especially during training camp. My gosh. I do not know how they do it.

6. fleamarkethustler says: Aug 10, 2011 9:18 AM

Very Cool….. Surprised with all the potential backlash from uneducated haters.

7. jimmysee says: Aug 10, 2011 9:20 AM

Good thing they are safeties and not QBs. Wouldn’t want any confusion about them tossing a “bomb.”

Congrats guys — should be an interesting evening!

Our country’s diversity is its greatest strength.

8. rc33 says: Aug 10, 2011 9:26 AM

LOL @ “I do not know how they do it.”
    Uh….OK.

Congrats guys. Have an enjoyable evening.

9. johnnycamparm says: Aug 10, 2011 9:27 AM

SEE James Harrison… I told you that the President invites football players to the White House, even if they haven’t won a Super Bowl. You just have to change your religion to get an invitation…

10. thephantomstranger says: Aug 10, 2011 9:33 AM

I’m surprised no one has said yet that this is the only way a Viking could get an invitation to the White House.

11. qdog112 says: Aug 10, 2011 9:39 AM

Good for them. It’s quite an honor.

12. east96st says: Aug 10, 2011 9:42 AM

Are you SURE water is prohibited? Or did some “journalist” get his/her facts wrong? Going without water during the day while in pads and working out in August is playing Russian roulette. It’s only a matter of time before someone gets heat stroke. I find it hard to believe ANY religion forbids water when it’s necessary for a believer to actually stay alive. Food – I get that. Lots of religions have a tradition of fasting. Water – that’s necessary to keep you out of a hospital ER and/or the morgue? I’m skeptical that the faith demands that.

13. thegreenviking says: Aug 10, 2011 9:55 AM

Husain is a good kid. I’m glad he’s getting to go to the WH and hope he enjoys it.

14. semperfi24 says: Aug 10, 2011 10:00 AM

flyerscup2010 says: Aug 10, 2011 8:58 AM

never ceases to amaze me. and i don’t even like obama.
    _______________________________

After the “success” of the last 2 years of this administration, I think I would prefer that he not do anything, at all, to “fix” any of this countries problems. He is excellent at campaigning, he is a very good public reader, err, speaker, but he has left much to be desired. He didnt lie, he did bring change, I just think we are better off if we change back….

15. brownicus says: Aug 10, 2011 10:08 AM

They do not drink water, and I heard one of them say they can rinse their mouth with water, but they can’t drink it.

Very impressive dedication.

16. melonnhead says: Aug 10, 2011 10:09 AM

Very Cool….. Surprised with all the potential backlash from uneducated haters.

———————————————————————

How in hell can you be surprised by potential backlash?

17. miamarino says: Aug 10, 2011 10:12 AM

Yes, during Ramadan fasting, there is to be no water or food during daylight hours. Posters are also correct in that it can be postponed due to traveling or medical reasons. This is very commendable on their part. May they have the strength to persevere.

@cup1981 its Eid ul Fitir :)

18. melonnhead says: Aug 10, 2011 10:13 AM

—————————————————————

I’m not skeptical that the faith demands it, I’m skeptical that the faithful go without it.

19. melonnhead says: Aug 10, 2011 10:18 AM

—————————————————————

Then she has betrayed her religion.

20. CKL says: Aug 10, 2011 10:22 AM

I have absolutely 0 problem with guys practicing their religions as long as it affects only themselves, but why is the govt in the business of celebrating ANYONE’S religion???
    SMH

21. chopblocked says: Aug 10, 2011 10:29 AM

CKL says: Aug 10, 2011 10:22 AM

———————–

I am sure you are referring to the annual White House EASTER egg hunt right? Or making Christmas a paid Federal holiday? I could go on but I think you see the point…

22. blackqbwhiterb says: Aug 10, 2011 10:31 AM

just remember how YOU spoke and acted when the picture of George W. Bush holding hands with the Saudi King was published on the front of every paper in America………….

23. redbear18 says: Aug 10, 2011 10:38 AM

Who cares? I want football news, not crap like this and what players have been arrested. I thought once the lockout was over, we’d stop hearing stories like this. SMH…

24. cmstrick says: Aug 10, 2011 10:38 AM

I’m a tolerant, moderately liberal guy. And this disturbs me on more levels than I care to think about.

25. pftequalsgreatjournalism says: Aug 10, 2011 10:40 AM

cup1981 says:
    Aug 10, 2011 9:00 AM

Good for them, and I hope they have a wonderful Idul Fitri… FYI my wife is Muslim . Not me though.

—————————-

@ cup1981

So who cooks the pork bacon in your house?

Arabic doesn’t translate perfectly to English so it can be written Eid ul-Fitr, Eid al-Fitr, Id-ul-Fitr, or Id al-Fitr. Just as Mohammed is spelled many different ways…

Greetings and Ramdan Kareem from Saudi Arabia…

26. mvl says: Aug 10, 2011 10:42 AM

Are they gonna be able to go golfing with the awesome dude too?

Sweet!

27. umdred11 says: Aug 10, 2011 10:48 AM

cmstrick says:
    Aug 10, 2011 10:38 AM

___________________

why?

28. CKL says: Aug 10, 2011 10:50 AM

chopblocked says:
    Aug 10, 2011 10:29 AM
    CKL says: Aug 10, 2011 10:22 AM

———————–

________________________________
    I said ANY so yes I have a problem with.. ANY.
    It’s not the highest priority to me over some of the other ridiculous crap the govt. does that wastes working people’s money, it’s just another brick in the wall .

29. cup1981 says: Aug 10, 2011 11:04 AM

miamarino says: Aug 10, 2011 10:12 AM

@cup1981 its Eid ul Fitir :)

——————————————————————————-

It’s spelled differently in different parts of the world, just like Ramadan and Koran are.

I live in Indonesia, and here it’s Idul Fitri, Ramadhan and Koran (same as U.S.).

——————————————————————————-
    pftequalsgreatjournalism says:

@ cup1981

So who cooks the pork bacon in your house?

——————————————————————————-

Haha, I do, but I have to sneak it. Or I order it at a restaurant and say “oh damn, I wanted turkey bacon. Well, can’t waste it.”

————————————————————————————-

east96st says: Aug 10, 2011 9:42 AM

Are you SURE water is prohibited?

—————————————————————————

Yes, it is “prohibited.” Now, if the guy were to feel dehydrated and feel that he is in danger, he can drink or eat. He then has to make that fasting day up another day.

30. minnesotablizzard says: Aug 10, 2011 11:06 AM

east96st says:
    Aug 10, 2011 9:42 AM

———

Husain just did an interview at training camp with PA the other day and said he will put the water in his mouth/swish it around but spits it out. The teams trainers have been monitoring these guys, they wake up at 2am to have protein shakes as meal replacements for the lunch the miss. They still eat and drink at breakfast/dinner, before/after sunrise/sunset.

31. rc33 says: Aug 10, 2011 11:17 AM

The important thing in today’s media is to be preemptive.
    “Cue the right wing haters…”
    “Here comes the anti-Islamic hate again…”

…the most critical element is the timing; be sure it’s brought up before the alleged haters have inferred anything.

Welcome to the media of the new millenium;
    “If I want your opinion, I’ll give it to you.”
    Boy are we fortunate.

32. potviking says: Aug 10, 2011 11:28 AM

He made it through training camp while being an idiot. Good for him.

33. opie333 says: Aug 10, 2011 11:42 AM

Yep I’m a redneck, Obama is a Muslim! LOL! May be they can get Tebow to come to and have religious Jihad! Muslims vs Christians lets get it on! I’m buying tickets to that one! Sorry being politically correct is not in my vocabulary.

34. tbrakerm1 says: Aug 10, 2011 11:57 AM

I’m asking that you look at both sides of this. The President cancels the National Day of Prayer because he dose not want to offend any one but it’s ok to to have the Islamic prayer day,or to celebrate Ramadan at the White House? I just want to know the difference as to why one is offensive and the other is not. Please enlighten me on the subject.
    Thanks

35. skids003 says: Aug 10, 2011 12:17 PM

tbrakerm, you are right on. Why are they having this at the White House anyway? Why hasn’t the Lame Street Media been all over this. This is the first I’ve heard of it. This is BS.

36. exgigirl says: Aug 10, 2011 12:42 PM

Has he invited any Jewish players of any sport to celebrate Passover, Rosh Hannah or Hannukah? Just asking. Should be equal time right?

37. emeraldcityfan says: Aug 10, 2011 1:01 PM

The Abdullah brothers are awesome! Congrats on your invitation. Go Cougs!

38. espnfeedback says: Aug 10, 2011 1:12 PM

These are two super overachieving AMERICAAN young men. Who happen to represent an outstanding AMERICAN family. They practice their faith with deducation and devotion. They follow the Koran faithfully….just as a few founding fathers of AMERICA(Jefferson) used the Koran as a guide for their personal lives.

@ESPNFeedback

39. mediasloppy says: Aug 10, 2011 3:35 PM

This is where all the “constitutionalist” forget the part about Freedom of Religion. Way to represent…

40. lions4life says: Aug 10, 2011 3:56 PM

If they are fasting… isn’t it Breakfast not dinner…..

41. rcali says: Aug 10, 2011 3:56 PM

Now that’s some CHANGE for you!

42. tcawa757 says: Aug 10, 2011 4:08 PM

Those who are concerned about religious intolerance on this forum need only look at just about any post referencing Tim Tebow. He has been reviled for his religious beliefs since the draft. The comments sections have been brutal over the past year…..

43. seanb20124 says: Aug 10, 2011 4:59 PM

OMG such a cute story. Does he invite Christian NFLers at Christmas time?? Doubt it

44. corvusrex96 says: Aug 10, 2011 6:25 PM

What kind of “training camp” are these teams running where someone could chose to go all day in August w/o water?

45. mediasloppy says: Aug 11, 2011 9:54 AM

seanb20124 says:
    Aug 10, 2011 4:59 PM
    ——-
    Obama had Tim Tebow at the Whitehouse on National Pray Day. Does that count. He’s had every religion represent Americas diversity.

46. sk27sac says: Aug 12, 2011 5:20 PM

yes the journalist is right water is prohibited.. ur not allowed to eat or drink anything from sunrise till sunset..