Ray Edwards had offseason knee surgery

AP

Falcons coach Mike Smith revealed that Edwards underwent “minor” knee surgery during the lockout, and will miss the team’s preseason opener.  Edwards hasn’t participated in any live hitting during training camp.

Edwards signed a five-year, $30 million contract, including $11 million guaranteed by the Falcons. That looked like a quality deal for Atlanta, but the injury explains why he didn’t make huge money.

We wonder if any other teams except the Falcons were even interested. Edwards wasn’t tied to other squads during the free agent period.

38 responses to “Ray Edwards had offseason knee surgery

1. I hope it was “minor”. I had my ACL done and it feels as good as ever but im not in the nfl. For a discount, I like the risk. Better than jamaal anderson even with one bad knee lol.

2. I’m not sad that he’s gone from the Vikings – it was best for both him and the organization that they part ways – but I really hope for his sake this doesn’t mean he experiences a severe dropoff.

Of course, he could always pursue boxing…

3. As a Saints fan, I’m glad that the Falcons are banking on this disappointment to be a pass rushing threat. Even better they signed him to a multi year deal, now they’re stuck with him!

Sorry Ray Ray, there ain’t no Williams brothers or mullet to take the double teams away anymore.

4. ilovefoolsball says:
    Aug 10, 2011 1:08 PM

Do you even watch NFL Football?? There are no gauranteed contracts in the NFL so no, the Falcons aren’t stuck with him. They are stuck have to pay him at least $11MM, because that is what is guaranteed. Some people…..

5. Ray was running around fine the past few weeks, maybe he’s just not playing because it’s Week 1 of the Preseason that’s 2 weeks too long to begin with.

How many starting players ARE going to play much this week? Fewer than usual I’d imagine.

Ray will be fine, Drew Brees will run even more scared than usual and the Bucs and Falcons will fight it out for the Division title.

NFCS 2011 standings:

1. Falcons
    2. Bucs
    3. Saints
    4. Panthers

6. look the falcons 4 years ago were the worst team in the NFL !! Last year they had the 2nd best record in the league .. and have had a winning record ever year since Mike Smith and company have been there ,, you’ve have to give it up to them all there free agents have worked out and they drafted very well !! sounds like some fans really would love to have the falcons coach and front office running their team , must be some of those jelious Saint fans that can’t handle the Falcons coming up !!

7. “We have a better idea now why the market for defensive end Ray Edwards was softer than expected in free agency.”

I thought it was because he sux..

8. Aug 10, 2011 1:33 PM

NFCS 2011 standings:

1. Falcons
    2. Bucs
    3. Saints
    4. Panthers

You are deluded.

9. i guess RB= M. Turner sucks to please !!,, the falcons have picked up a great free agent every year sense Mike Smith and companys been their.. Ray Edwards will get 11 plus sacks this year they really get the most out of their players unlike most teams, in which their fans are commenting on this subject right now, your coaching staff is week thats why the falcons had a better record than your team !! and out played your team ..I know its hard to give credit but try to be real with this, and take a long look and you see I’m right !!

10. discountusabiz says:Aug 10, 2011 2:11 PM

——–

If you think this guy is going to get 11 sacks, you should have given him more money. Cheap skates

11. It all comes back to coaching , the falcons get more out of their players than just about anyone !! Now your team (I polishrod) may over pay for greatness but the falcons don’t !!

12. senorwinces,
    How am I deluded? The Saints lost to the Bucs last year (don’t give me any talk about it not counting) and the Bucs have gotten better. The Saints also lost to the Falcons at home and barely beat them in the 2nd game.

13. polishrod,

It’s called being business savvy, just like the Falcons resigned Jason Snelling for close to nothing after letting him linger for a few weeks after FA started.

14. discountusabiz says:

————————————–
    Wow dude. I’m an Eagles fan so I have no issues with the Falcons or the Saints and I respect both franchises. What I don’t respect are:
    1. People who make predictions with no facts to back it up
    2. People who can’t have an exclamation point by itself !!
    3. People who are too lazy to capitalize sentences

You’ve successfully made all Falcons fans look bad, so ” try to be real with this, and take a long look and you see I’m right !!” <—- poetic conclusion to a comment

15. Rice and Edwards are very similiar. They only had moments of success, but there total production over their time in Minny was sub par. And they are arrogant Richards.

16. “falconsfan says:
    Aug 10, 2011 2:35 PM
    senorwinces,

The Saints are on the decline. The RB pick-ups were nice but the Bucs are Falcons will be too much for the Saints to handle.”

======

If you’ve been following the NFC South for long, you know that the teams play each other tough and that there has never been the same division winner in back-to-back years. Yes, the Saints lost to the Bucs, but they also stomped them in Tampa Bay. The Saints “barely” beat the Falcons by 3 points – so what adjective would you use to describe how the Falcons beat the Saints in OT by a field goal? I think “barely” fits there too.

The Saints declined last year, it’s easy to do when you won the Super Bowl and went 13-3 the year before. Not doing as well the next year is more likely to happen. If you think RB is the only position that the Saints upgraded in, you are going to be surprised, and not in a good way.

17. falconsfan says:
    Aug 10, 2011 2:35 PM
    senorwinces,

scra22 already said most of what needs saying. The Falcons won many squeakers last year. Green Bay exposed the 13-3 fraud for what it was. Wouldn’t count on that happening again.

18. falconsfan says:
    Aug 10, 2011 1:37 PM
    Classic:

The Predator intercepts Brees:
    __________
    Oh yeah I remember that game. We won that game. It was an exciting game, and it helped expose the Falcons as the frauds they were when they had to play Green Bay.

19. Okay easy easy everyone. A few things:
    1. I can’t believe an Eagles fans was correcting spelling and grammar …..wow
    2. Panther fans: you won 2 games last year ….. you arent allowed to talk
    3. The Falcons were a weak 13-3 team, and they did win a lot of games that could have gone both ways (San Fran, Saints, Ravens and GB)
    4. They kept the offense together and even improved it with Julio, too bad they traded 17 draft picks to get him.
    5. They tried to address their main defensive issue (no consistent pash rush) with Edwards, and they couldnt have afforded anything better.
    6. Even if he loses his whole leg he will still be better than than Anderson (I saw someone mentioned that above, had to reiterate)
    7. Yes we did get exposed and embarrassed by GB in the playoffs, however I wont let any fan of any NFC south team point this out. The Saints lost to 7-9 Seattle, the Bucs werent in the playoffs and we beat you twice last year (and your QB has stupid hair), and the Panthers ….. wow
    8. Should be the toughest division in the NFL this year, can’t wait

20. Alexmcclellan where in the he__ did that name come from !! Your an Eagles fan, with that name in PHILLY they would beat the he_l out of you just for that name !!so thats hard to believe but ,I know why you like the Eagles you and Vick must have the same IQ ( now thats a good joke I would be pissed because he’s not very smart in any area ) You see Andy ( I want another biscuit) Reed can build a great team but his in game coaching sucks, plus you know Vick will throw a INT at the end of every close game ,I know I’m a ATL fan you can count on it !! So really with that name you don’t really need to comment anymore its hard to take you serious !!