Jeremy Maclin leaves camp for more testing

Getty Images

It is past the time to be concerned about Jeremy Maclin’s health.

The Eagles wide receiver, who has been struggling with an undisclosed illness for at least five months, left training camp to undergo more testing in his hometown of St. Louis according to WIP’s Howard Eskin and the Philadelphia Inquirer.

Coach Andy Reid has said publicly that he expects Maclin to be ready for the opener, but let’s look at the facts.  The guy hasn’t been cleared for football activities because of an illness that has bothered him for almost half a year.  He lost weight at one point.

Either the Eagles know the problem and they aren’t telling the public, or they legitimately have no idea what’s going on or how to treat it.  The second option would be more worrisome.

Signing Steve Smith on Wednesday is another sign the Eagles may be more concerned than they are letting on.

78 responses to “Jeremy Maclin leaves camp for more testing

1. he’ll be fine. the kid is 24 years old. let him rest.

the birds have plenty of offensive talent to go around.

if he comes back in week 2 or 3. so be it. its not like his talent is gone.

it only means that he will be healthier during Jan.

2. If only we had a Steve Smith type… oh wait.

Eli’s 3 favorite targets will be wearing green this year, Plax, Steve Smith and Asante Samuel. Fly eagles fly.

3. whatever fan you might be or even if you hate eagles and vick, you cannot wish bad on a good person and great player like him…..

Get well soon Jmac….GO eagles !

4. Most solid receiver we have, hope all is well. Get healthy, that takes priority over everything. Go birds!!

5. Get better soon JMac…agree with booogyman, very non-diva WR that is on track to be great.

I hope and pray for you that this isn’t a very serious thing. Get back and play some ball!

6. Great kid, I hope he is OK and ready for the opener. I mean I’m hoping the Rams beat the stuffing out of them but was looking forword to deeing J-Mac in action.

7. I can’t stand the eagles but man something must really be wrong with maclin. Hope he gets better

8. Hope hes OK. My favorite out of the 2009 1st Round class (besides Britt ’cause the things he do/say is so dumb it’s funny). Now we got:

1. Heyward-Bey (pretty much a glorified 4th but he tries)
    2. Crabtree (non-Training Camp participator but avg so far considering the hype)
    3. Maclin (unknown illness???)
    4. Harvin (Aleve should rescue him)
    5. Nicks (I think on his way to becoming something great, just dont get injured)
    6. Britt (dumb as hell but funny)

9. This coming from a life long “Cowboys fan”… keep your head up kid and get well soon! I’m ooking forward to seeing you give the Boys fits for many years to come, and vice versa of course! 😉

10. Eagles are going in the season with a Qb who has had one complete season a DE whos been on 5 teams and cut by the eagles before one WR who wants money and 2 others that are not healthy, no safeties, no LB’s and no OL….yeah this is a dream team…lol

11. The Eagles have no responsibility whatsoever to release anything they know about his condition to the public.

In fact, I believe the opposite is true. It is not a football related injury and the fact that he is missing time in no way makes it less of a personal matter between Maclin, his family, and his employer.

I know it will never happen, but in a perfect world what would happen now is that the media would stop asking about it.

12. It is the second option, so “more worrisome”.

Not all “mystery ailments” are definitively diagnosed. When he gets back to playing weight, and is asymptomatic, and they have ruled out a few more things, they’ll just have to decide to have him play.

13. Typical Sargeant Schultz Andy Reid…I see nothing…Maclin is sick and they dont know why so they sign a guy who has microfracture surgery.

14. Its looking more and more like the Eagles signed everyone on the planet except receivers that will be lining up on Week 1. Jackson won’t play, Maclin has Rocco Baldelli’s disease and Smith still can’t walk.

Gag Eagles Gag!

15. He’s a good Kid. Hope it’s nothing serious.

Even us giant fan’s wish him good health and God’s speed !!

16. If doctors can’t figure out what’s wrong with you it can be a GOOD sign.

It’s not like they wouldn’t have tested him for serious illnesses yet. If he’s been sick for a few months and lost weight, they would have done the cancer tests. If those came back negative, they’d move on to other stuff, but I think if he had something life or career-threatening the doctors would have found it by now.

17. the fact that the eagles went out and signed a guy who MIGHT play half a season this year is telling me that maclin is in trouble. like everyone, i hope the kid isnt seriously ill…..but there is a definate problem here.

and for anyone who actually believes that smith will be ready to go in september like reid said…lol, ive got a bridge to sell you; giants doctors who examined him figured he MIGHT be ready by week 10.

18. There sure do seem to be a LOT more Eagle names/posters on the PFT stories lately. Lots of bandwagon jumpers it looks like. At least I know which ones are legit Eagles fans, and have been heere for a while.

19. Hope he comes through it okay, but this isn’t normal.

My guess is leukemia. Hopefully that’s not it, but the ebb & flow he has been going is a common symptom.

20. It’s not a football related injury, so technically the Eagles are not allowed to release any information on the illness without Maclins’ permission. If they did they would be in violation of HIPAA laws.

21. First of all… Jakek2 You must stop the drugs MORON… Mac is a good person who never complains. Forget football for a moment, let’s hope this problem is fixable

22. juv3rd11 says: Aug 11, 2011 12:07 PM

———————-
    Jealous?

23. Ok seeing as gscuk brought up the topic of bandwagon fans, I just wanted to point out despite my username I’ve been an Eagles fan since the dark days of Bobby Hoying. Also get well Jeremy, we miss you.

24. Breaking the troll speak for this one. I’m a Redskins fan, but at the end of the day, every single one of these guys is out there for our entertainment. Situations like this should go above and beyond nonsensical bickering.

I wish nothing but the best for this talented guy. He seems like a good dude, and my thoughts will go out to him and his family.

Get well my man.

25. He has some type of parasite. I’d go back through all the various food he ate and where he was. That is probably why the figure it is not serious; once they find the parasite, he will be just fine.

26. Kid has overcome more hurdles than you can imagine in his life. This is just one more to jump over. Get well kid, and godspeed.

27. This is VERY GOOD news for the Dallas Cowboys.Now they will only lose by 3 touchdowns to the Eagles instead of 5 touchdowns.

28. Sounds like Lupus… hard to diagnosis, but the lethargy and losing weight are definitely an indicator.

Mono, HIV, lyme’s disease are pretty easy to diagnose. Seems like they would know and be actively treating those, not taking more tests.

I truly hope the testing is all about making sure whatever he had/has is gone, but most likely not.

Get well Kid, you’ll be sorely missed

29. Yeah Jake, real classy there. I’m a birds fan and fans of other division rivals have shown nothing but class in this post. We don’t know what’s wrong with Mac, but I hope he gets better. If he doesn’t see the football field ever again, I’m ok with that as long as he gets healthy. Remember he is a human being as much as me and you.

30. rangenius says:
    Aug 11, 2011 12:23 PM
    Get out and play Maclin. This guy has no heart, just like the Philly fans.

Don’t pay any attention to this guy. He is just one of those cowards who spouts off in forums like this for a reaction. He hides behind the anonymity of the internet because he has nowhere near the guts it would take to say this out loud in the presence of real people. Gutless tool.

31. He’s got a clear cut case of the “Itus”, he just needs to rub some ‘tussin on it and he’ll be fine.

32. I’m thinking along the same lines as polishrod. The positive news is that cancer, HIV, and several of the other illnesses mentioned are easily diagnosed. If it were anything like that, they should have gotten a definitive answer long ago–though perhaps they have and are just keeping it quiet. But lupus is more difficult to detect and requires repeated testing over a long period. Chrohn’s disease can be difficult to diagnose as well. I pray the situation turns out to be something easier to treat than it was to diagnose and that Maclin is soon able to resume his normal activities.

33. Makes a lot more sense as to why Smith was signed even with a 4-6 week window before he can even practice.

polishrod, PLEASE. Unless you are a Doctor, don’t try to diagnose Maclin. Lethargy and weight loss are common symptoms for a variety of conditions.

HIV and mono ARE easy to diagnose, but lyme’s disease is not. The tests are inaccurate with lots of false negatives (Elisa, Western blot). There is no single accurate test for Lyme’s disease as of today. Living in that part of the country, Lyme’s disease is the more likely possibility – much more than Lupus, which is not a common disease, and is even more rare in men.

34. I could be wrong, but wasn’t his weight loss attributed to a diagnosis of mono? He was supposed to have gotten better, then this other illness came on.

Again, I may be wrong, but I thought I read that somewhere.

Hope the kid gets better.

35. ” giants doctors who examined him figured he MIGHT be ready by week 10.”

@jdandcoke

Yes because Giants doctors are the end all be all of doctors. The Eagles doctors and the player him self thinks he will be back on the field by week 2 or 3. Perhaps thats why the kid signed in philly and in New York. They probably told him in New York he would start the season on the PUP and in philly they won’t.

I am going to laugh when Smith has a decent year here.

As far as Maclin goes I hope hes ok. He’s the second best WR on the team and becoming a pro bowler.

36. If he had mono and it hasn’t gotten better why not think Epstein-Barr syndrome or chronic fatigue syndrome.

37. I love how this story gets all thumbs up but the story about the Skins player who was dealing with his premature twins got all thumbs down.

Proof that Eagles fans are pricks perhaps?

38. Polishrod maybe right…lupus is very hard to diagnose. There are lots of symptoms but nothing that you can point your finger at and say that’s it! I know first hand, I live with and care for a sufferer of lupus.

39. Division rival or not, get well soon jmac! You’ve been class in your short time in the league and I want to see you back as a football fan.

Hail!

40. This will cost us the superbowl, every year it’s always something. God, why do you hate us so much? Should we have drafted Tebow? Is that it?

41. cliffleesbeard,

Mono is caused by Epstein-Barr, but also cytomegalovirus (CVM)

Chronic fatigue Syndrome is a name given to people with long standing fatigue and musculoskeletal indicators, like trigger points and sore muscles. It can’t be “treated” unless it is named and coded as a “disease’ or “syndrome”. Doctors know next to nothing about it, and only give drugs to see if the symptoms can be successfully treated. The cause is unknown, but a lot of Doctors in this country could really care less about treating the cause. There is no money in cure, but there is money in long-term symptom treatment.

Regardless of what Maclin does have, I hope he is able to overcome it and get back to playing. He is a young, talented WR.

And all of this from a Cowboy fan.

42. jsrdc, Thanks for clearing that up. I’m not that well educated in the medical field, however, I have had mono and ever since I got ill with it, I still get sick with the same symptons which I was told is Epstein-Barr on a year to year basis. And thank you for showing class, this issue is bigger than a game, it’s a human life.

43. andjmoore says: Aug 11, 2011 12:18 PM

If doctors can’t figure out what’s wrong with you it can be a GOOD sign.

————————–

This is what gives me hope. Obviously, if you’ve been undergoing MONTHS of tests, they would have screened most cancers and blood diseases out first.

Then again, he might already know what he has and are just keeping mum.

44. seabreezes51 says: Aug 11, 2011 12:27 PM

juv3rd11 says: Aug 11, 2011 12:07 PM

———————-
    Jealous?

————————-

Sounds more like “terrified” to me.

45. Also, thanks to all the division rivals stopping by and wishing us well.

It seems there’s a smattering of disgusting Giants fans coming to gloat, but not all of them.

Football rivalries are great, and it’s not wrong to get more excited for your team’s chances if a key player on a rival team goes down — but we should never root for a player to go down with, of all things, a disease.

Most of us won’t tear our ACLs or patellar tendons, etc. But we will get sick. Let’s hope that nobody is cheering for you to stay sick when that happens.

46. As someone who has been to hospitals frequently as a patient over the last year, here is what I can tell you: there are only so many tests you can do.

They can give you a variety of blood tests to monitor your white blood count, your potassium level, your magnesium level, etc… They can administer a hepatitis C test, an HIV test, a tuberculosis test, etc etc etc.

Isn’t it completely obvious to anyone with half a brain? Obviously he has HIV and anyone who doesn’t agree is in serious denial. Having said that, Jeremy is one of the only Eagles I actually enjoy watching and he seems like a very nice man and I wish him the absolute best.

47. vdaigglesfan says: Aug 11, 2011 11:52 AM

If only we had a Steve Smith type… oh wait.

————-

The “joke” is already tired, and again, this is why Eagles will never win anything. More concerned with spite than winning.

48. goawayeverybody says: Aug 11, 2011 5:34 PM

—————-
    You better know that for sure, otherwise, that kind of speculation is out of bounds.

49. cliffleesbeard,

I have been in the alternative health field for quite some time. Viruses like Epstein-Barr can be chronic and can flare up again if your immune system isn’t strong enough to keep it in check or eliminate it altogether.

You may want to research immune boosting herbs and a diet change to strengthen your immune system if you already have not. There is so much info available online to help you with that, but you have to be diligent and really give your system a chance to build itself up. The Digestive system is a high % of your immunity (up to 90% by some estimates) and if that is working well, your immunity likely will be too. Probiotics can be really helpful in getting the digestive system more balanced. With the diet we Americans consume, it isn’t any surprise to me that the degenerative and lifestyle diseases are affecting a high % of our citizens.

Anyway, I do hope that Maclin can figure this out. He is young, and that only helps his cause, as the immune system tends to be stronger and recovery is usually quicker in the youngsters.

50. Jeremy Maclin’s father is a doctor in St. Louis, the plan was for him to go home for a few days during this week for what ever it is that needs to be done. hopefully they will get it figured out.

51. They pretty much said they know whats wrong with Maclin today.

During the game Joe Banner was asked if hes expected Maclin to be ready to play week 1 and if they knew anything new about the illness and he said “We expect him to be ready week 1, and its a personal situation what Jeremey’s going through and were going to leave it up to him when or if he wants to talk about it publicly”

So they were basically saying they know whats going on with Maclin but they arent going to say what it is or ask him to tell us what it is.

Which is fine by me. If the guy doesnt want people to know what kind of illness hes been diagnosed with thats up to him. No one has a right to demand him to tell the world about it. And they certainly do have a right go to get mad at him for doing so. Some people are sensitive when it comes to discussing those types of things. Or it could be something embarrassing he doesnt want the whole world to know. As long as his coaches and team doctors know whats going on thats all that matters.

Anyway its none of our business what the illness is thats making him miss time. The only thing that is our business is when will he stop missing time because of the illness.

The only thing fans or the media should be asking is when he will start football activity again, if it is something hato could re emerge later and make him miss games, and for to let us know when he is better so we can stop worrying about him.

Other then those things no one should be asking him anything else about this situation.

52. its hard to put your finger on this situation because Andy said he “thinks” he’ll play in week 1 and also some reporters said Maclin’s illness could be life-threatening and Maclin called that “crazy” so I really hope is nothing serious but from the looks of it it doesnt appear to be too good because they’re saying that maclin has been having mono-like symptoms for about 4 months now, and if your having mono-lims symptoms for that long and you can’t find out whats wrong, that can’t be too good.

I just hope he’ll be fine in the long run.