Favre says he lacks the motivation to play

brett-favre-ap-1126_606 AP

Although some (such as me) think that Brett Favre has a Roger Clemens-style half-season or two left in the tank, Favre said Thursday that he simply doesn’t have the motivation to play again.

Appearing on WGR in Buffalo as part of the Hunter’s Hope Radiothon, Favre was asked by Joe Buscgalia if the future Hall of Famer has completely closed the door on a return in 2011.

Favre initially said (jokingly) that he’d completely closed the door on a return in each of the past three years.

But then, after acknowledging that he should have left the game following a “storybook” season in 2009 (but for the fact that the story ended without a Super Bowl appearance), Favre said he no longer has the motivation to play.

“I could easily talk myself into that chip on my shoulder like, ‘Hey everybody hates you . . . .’ and I could motivate myself,” Favre said.  He then said that, now that he’s older, he simply doesn’t have the fire to do what needs to be done.  “It’s that edge that makes the great players great,” Favre said.

(The fact that his motivation for 2011 would come from the notion that “everybody hates you” suggests that he is far more self-aware than his recent actions would suggest.)

Favre said that his first season in Minnesota may have been his best year ever, and that it was fueled by a desire to quiet those who pointed to his performance down the stretch in 2008 as proof that the Packers were smart to get rid of him.

“I threw six or seven interceptions, I mean, I’ve been known to throw that in a game,” Favre said.  “I threw that the whole season.”

So while he said he’ll miss it on Sundays, it sounds like he really is done this time.

That said, given his recent history, I’m sticking with my position that Favre isn’t really retired until two seasons go by without Favre playing in at least one game.  If a quarterback on a contending team pops an ACL after Halloween, Favre could be able to muster enough motivation for eight or nine games.

Permalink 69 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Green Bay Packers, Minnesota Vikings, New York Jets, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
69 Responses to “Favre says he lacks the motivation to play”
  1. marcus158 says: Aug 12, 2011 8:59 AM

His starting game streak has ended which I think motivated him.

2. mjs2012 says: Aug 12, 2011 9:00 AM

Unfortunately for Brett, it wasn’t his actions that told the story of whether or not it was smart for the Packers to get rid of him. Aaron Rodgers’ play is what ultimately closed the book on the question.

3. wryly1 says: Aug 12, 2011 9:05 AM

Count me among the millions of fans who lost a lot of repect for Favre over the past few years when he made it abundantly clear that the game was all and only about him. Glad he took enough of a beating last year to realize that approach wasn’t going to fly anymore.

4. gregjennings85 says: Aug 12, 2011 9:09 AM

Mike:

You and I both know that should he come back again, it is only going to end worse than ever.

5. timtheenchanter1 says: Aug 12, 2011 9:09 AM

However, if someone was willing to give him, say, 10 million “reasons” that might be sufficient motivation.

6. wawa33 says: Aug 12, 2011 9:10 AM

I lack the motivation to hear from him ever again.

7. rpiotr01 says: Aug 12, 2011 9:11 AM

Ah, nice to see he always had the ability to NOT throw 5 INTs in a game, he just chose not to do it all those years in Green Bay. Thanks, Brett.

8. richm2256 says: Aug 12, 2011 9:12 AM

“Hey everybody hates you”

Because like a bad house guest, you just won’t go away.

9. goawayeverybody says: Aug 12, 2011 9:13 AM

I can’t wait until this guy is like 57 years old so that we can stop reading these ridiculous stories of Favre contemplating yet another comeback.

10. joeflaccosunibrow says: Aug 12, 2011 9:14 AM

Was this interview done 3 years ago?

11. smoothjimmyapollo says: Aug 12, 2011 9:16 AM

“But then, after acknowledging that he should have left the game following a “storybook” season in 2009…”

If you change that 9 to a 7, then people who are not employed by ESPN or named Peter King would still like him. Oh well, as fun as he was leading the Packers, he was a lot of fun to have as a villain too. It’s just too bad he had to put on the purple which is the football equivalent of herpes.

12. akulabug says: Aug 12, 2011 9:18 AM

Works out great…I don’t have the motivation to watch.

13. thephantomstranger says: Aug 12, 2011 9:18 AM

I watched him all of last season and it’s very easy for me to believe that he’s done for good. He just couldn’t get it done and he knew it. He seemed semi-retired last year.

14. apac6586 says: Aug 12, 2011 9:18 AM

I wish that journalists would get the same lack of motivation to cover this guy. Seriously, let him go away.

15. imjinbrdgr says: Aug 12, 2011 9:26 AM

I don’t like the guy but I would love to see him play one more time.

16. vikefan says: Aug 12, 2011 9:33 AM

…that was his status last year, he just admitted it a year too late.

17. svcfilmguy says: Aug 12, 2011 9:35 AM

Or maybe he doesn’t have the motivation to keep up his “will I or won’t I” attention seeking tactics. He has already tainted his legacy, but he should just go away before people remember him more for his drama queen antics rather than on-field play.

18. packattack1967 says: Aug 12, 2011 9:37 AM

If a quarterback on a contending team pops an ACL after Halloween, Favre could be able to muster enough motivation for eight or nine games._

Eagles, Saints, Bears, Jets, Giants, Packers…could happen.

19. deadeye says: Aug 12, 2011 9:41 AM

“now that he’s older, he simply doesn’t have the fire to do what needs to be done”

===============================

This has been true for the last five years, you know, ditching training camp.

20. BlackandGoldMNBruinsFan says: Aug 12, 2011 9:42 AM

So would you say his drive is flaccid? Don’t bother texting that one to Jenn.

21. packerjer says: Aug 12, 2011 9:44 AM

I’ll believe he’s done playing when he’s dead and not a minute sooner.

Even then I’d like a year or 2 just to make sure he doesn’t come back from the dead as a zombie just to torture us.

22. dallasbaby says: Aug 12, 2011 9:44 AM

Ah, the Ric Flair of the NFL, continuing to do dirt on his legacy when he’s clearly too old to perform at a high level. From Superbowl quarterback to PFT punchline…it would be a shame, but he brings it on himself.

23. johnsticle says: Aug 12, 2011 9:46 AM

I hope he stays retired, I don’t wanna see him get beat up on the field again. Have a happy retirement, Brett. Hope to see ya calling a game for NFL Network in the future!

24. Little Earthquake says: Aug 12, 2011 9:50 AM

Stay retired, Brett. That last season was brutal to watch, even for a Packer fan. See you in a few years at your number retirement ceremony.

25. granadafan says: Aug 12, 2011 9:50 AM

Chicken Little cries again. No player has had a bigger fall from grace to total d-bag than Favre with the exception of OJ. No one believes him because he’s lied so many times in the past. This egomaniac just can’t stop becoming a one man clownfest.

26. bcjim says: Aug 12, 2011 9:54 AM

Not to mention the skill

27. 3octaveFart says: Aug 12, 2011 9:57 AM

C’mon fellas.

The guy is gone.

Let it go.

28. glac1 says: Aug 12, 2011 9:58 AM

Come back for one day as a Green Bay Packer and then retire. Obviously, that is the right thing to do…

29. mthomashoover says: Aug 12, 2011 10:13 AM

That would be the appropriate ending to Brett’s career.

30. melonnhead says: Aug 12, 2011 10:15 AM

motivation = >$10 million salary for 2011.

31. svcfilmguy says: Aug 12, 2011 10:17 AM

“C’mon fellas.

The guy is gone.

Let it go.”

He was gone in 2008.
    And 2009.
    And 2010.

You’ll have to excuse us for questioning his sincerity.

32. smoothjimmyapollo says: Aug 12, 2011 10:19 AM

“I don’t wish an injury on Aaron Rodgers…but the REAL storybook ending would be if he went down later in the season and Favre returned to the Packers to set the wrong things right and lead them deep into the playoffs one…last…time.

That would be the appropriate ending to Brett’s career.”

As he showed last year against the Pats, the 2011 version of Matt Flynn is probably better than the 2011 version of Brett Favre.

33. jerruhjones says: Aug 12, 2011 10:20 AM

I lack motivation to read another Favre story.

34. spawnsacs says: Aug 12, 2011 10:26 AM

mthomashoover says:
    Aug 12, 2011 10:13 AM

That would be the appropriate ending to Brett’s career.
    ————————————————
    ……..so he could throw one last post season ending interception? Great. Please stay retired.

Exactly what gives you the impression that anything would be different? Geez…storybook? No, storybook was last year, going on the road to win the Superbowl. The only storybook Favre brings is a murder mystery ending in remorse and anger.

35. bozosforall says: Aug 12, 2011 10:34 AM

jerruhjones says:
    Aug 12, 2011 10:20 AM
    I lack motivation to read another Favre story.

__
    Yet you read this one anyway.

Idiot.

36. gdeli says: Aug 12, 2011 10:42 AM

I thank him for busting his ass in 2009 and we should have won it all that year but the 5-6 turnovers. OMG! How can our hapless vikings…50 years of this crap…5 straight NFC championship game losses…cowboys, redskins, 41-0 blowout to the giants, missed FG against the falcons(so called dirty birds) and then the saints? oh man. Then he has the gall to text jen sterger as a married man and have that blow up in his face in 2010(why didn’t it show up in 2009 to derail our season then? huh?). He may have tried in 2010 but the ankle, etc. something was off and having sidney rice wait until the 3rd week of training camp to “decide” to have surgery was ridiculous! He was all self serving when he should have had surgery in the off season and be ready for training camp and the new season. THAT IS WHAT I WOULD HAVE DONE AS A PRO. He had a obligation to the team and fans and DIDN’T CARE! amazing. Good riddance sidney. Have fun with tjack in seattle, what a joke that will become. they didn’t respect childress and he didn’t earn their respect. airport pick up? geez. sold tickets/jerseys though. My farve jersey goes to a charity thrift shop today!

37. thephantomstranger says: Aug 12, 2011 11:01 AM

packattack1967 says:
    Aug 12, 2011 9:37 AM

Eagles, Saints, Bears, Jets, Giants, Packers…could happen.
    ___________

Packers? Seriously? A-Rodg and Matty Ice could both lose their arms in a farm implement accident and I can’t imagine them bringing Favre back. It would be the greatest thing ever, though.

38. dkhhuey says: Aug 12, 2011 11:03 AM

Brett Who?

39. philtration says: Aug 12, 2011 11:07 AM

And I lack the motivation to even make fun of him anymore.
    Why can’t you just go the hell away already?

40. hobartbaker says: Aug 12, 2011 11:12 AM

Best player all time in the NFL. Probably the smartest and most honest as well. I don’t think he cares about these Chihuahua’s yapping at his feet. Certainly doesn’t care about Fred Rodgers or anyone else in the large rural slum of Wisconsin.

41. melonnhead says: Aug 12, 2011 11:22 AM

Best player all time in the NFL.

————————————————————–

hobartbaker, always the joker haha

42. imopen7 says: Aug 12, 2011 11:36 AM

“favre lacks the motivaiton to play”

but after 62 painkillers and training camps end…I’ll be motivated.

43. kennyrogerschicken says: Aug 12, 2011 11:49 AM

Yo Yo Ma.

44. upperdecker19 says: Aug 12, 2011 11:52 AM

OH NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regards,
    John Madden

45. garyman1 says: Aug 12, 2011 12:11 PM

Ed Werder will probably never go to Mississippi or Minnesota again.

46. sdw2001 says: Aug 12, 2011 12:11 PM

wryly1 says:
    Aug 12, 2011 9:05 AM
    —————————–

I have the opposite opinion. I never liked Favre in Green Bay. I started liking him when he went to the Jets. When he was healthy, he was pretty amazing for a then 38 year old. When he went to Minnesota, I starting loving him. Why?
    Because he plays the media like a friggin fiddle. His self-promotion and drama actually made me like him more. He’s a total dick and doesn’t care! Love it! Then came his play in Minnesota in 2009, which was ridiculous. Ultimately, this is what swayed me into a BF fan (I am a diehard Eagles fan, just FYI).

We even turned BF into a drinking game at my house. Any mention of shot of him on TV and it’s a drink for everyone. Saying “Brett Favre” gets the perpetrator two drinks and everyone else one drink. “Brett Lorenzo Favre” is three drinks for the perp and two for everyone else.

BRETT FAVRE!

47. smoothjimmyapollo says: Aug 12, 2011 12:14 PM

“Probably the smartest and most honest as well… ”

Wait, what?

Isn’t that sentence debunked by the Sterger thing as it was stupid to do and then he lied about it – unless you believe Favre that he left the voice message, but didn’t send the pictures even though everything came from the same phone. I think the absence of Mrs. Favre at the 2010 games speaks volumes about whether or not that was Brett in those pictures.

As for smartest on the field, I give you the Saints-Vikings NFC Championship, the Packers-Giants NFC Championship, the 2005 season, the Packers-Eagles OT playoff game, the Packer-Rams 6 INT game…basically his entire playoff career post-Holmgren. Favre is hands-down, the greatest regular season QB ever. When it comes to the post-season, I don’t think anybody in their right mind would pick him over Brady or Montana.

“Certainly doesn’t care about Fred Rodgers…”

Really? That’s the best you can come up with for Rodgers is calling him a deceased child entertainer? Why even bother?

48. dspyank2k11 says: Aug 12, 2011 12:19 PM

annnnnd stay out.

49. stixzidinia says: Aug 12, 2011 12:24 PM

The Packers proved they were smart to get rid of him by winning a Super Bowl with his replacement. Brett lost the war, and he lost it big. I hope those two regular season wins a couple years ago were worth it. Because the Packers organization is pointing at Favre and rolling around on the floor laughing their asses off at the final results of his revenge tour.

50. jerruhjones says: Aug 12, 2011 12:31 PM

bozosforall says:
    Aug 12, 2011 10:34 AM
    jerruhjones says:
    Aug 12, 2011 10:20 AM
    I lack motivation to read another Favre story.

__
    Yet you read this one anyway.

Idiot.

____

I read the title and commented. Back at ya’…idiot.

51. azpackerbacker says: Aug 12, 2011 1:24 PM

I’ll only be convinced he’ll never play again once he decides to take the eternal dirt nap. Even then we shouldn’t underestimate his Christ like ability to rise from the dead and lead some downtrodden NFL franchise to 6 or 7 victories.

52. minnysoda says: Aug 12, 2011 1:34 PM

Funny how all his storybook seasons 2007 and 2009 end with him throwing away the NFC championship game. I thought winning SB 31 would have been your storybook year. Not blowing another chance for a championship.
    Shows you were always more concerned about your stats than the franchises,team mates, and fans you said you played for.

What an a$$ hole

I hope the Packers don’t put you in their Hall of Fame until after your gone. That way you can’t throw a verbal interception during your ,no doubt self serving. speech where you would probably thank the Vikings

The worst thing Brett in your hate for the Packers you propelled them to another SB while you have set the Vikings back for years to come.

53. Deb says: Aug 12, 2011 2:19 PM

If you didn’t already know that, you haven’t been paying attention at his pressers the last couple of years.

54. melikefootball says: Aug 12, 2011 2:25 PM

Why do we print what a retired player has to say???????

55. qoojo says: Aug 12, 2011 2:43 PM

I kept telling my friend that his first year performance in Minnesota was 100% revenge driven, and it sounds like he admitted as much. Just imagine if he played with that intensity his whole career. As Packer fan, I got tired of him, and I was glad when he was gone.

56. vikefan says: Aug 12, 2011 2:51 PM

and why is this under Vikings team news? he is a free agent

57. brewdogg says: Aug 12, 2011 3:01 PM

jerruhjones says:
    Aug 12, 2011 12:31 PM
    bozosforall says:
    Aug 12, 2011 10:34 AM
    jerruhjones says:
    Aug 12, 2011 10:20 AM
    I lack motivation to read another Favre story.

__
    Yet you read this one anyway.

Idiot.

____

I read the title and commented. Back at ya’…idiot.
    —————

SO when next you read his name in a headline, don’t click on it and waste those precious seconds of your life typing a comment. That would prove to all of us that you don’t care.

58. claymatthewsisonsteroids says: Aug 12, 2011 3:16 PM

For everyone who say’s enough with the Favre stories and to go away, just stop reading them. Seems pretty simple to me.

59. Deb says: Aug 12, 2011 3:38 PM

thephantomstranger says:

————————————————
    He seemed semi-retired last season? No, he seemed like a guy trying too hard to make something happen while everyone around him sat on their backsides.

Sidney Rice blew off the season by postponing his surgery until starting time. Even after doctors pronounced him game-ready, he had to be dragged onto the field. Randy Moss didn’t mind taking the contract, but didn’t want to play football in exchange for the money. The offensive line shattered on impact, and the defense phoned it in. And Goodell enabled a reputed junk-shot collector to spend the season trying to blackmail Favre because he thought it might appease some prospective female viewers.

How do you lay all of that on Favre? Please. Love him or hate him but don’t claim he didn’t give it his all on the field every year he started … including 2010.

60. hendeeze says: Aug 12, 2011 3:48 PM

I lack the desire to hear you whine about how your now irrelevant

61. granadafan says: Aug 12, 2011 4:07 PM

“melikefootball says:
    Aug 12, 2011 2:25 PM
    Why do we print what a retired player has to say???????”

——————————————————————————————-

Because a) Favre is a clown and b) No one believes he’s really retired. That’s what happens when you cry (literally) wolf one too many times. The media may be baiting him, but he’s not putting the rumors to rest definitively, nor is his agent. He may be a HOFer as a player, but he definitely belongs in the D-Bag Hall of Fame.

62. Deb says: Aug 12, 2011 4:52 PM

melikefootball says:

Why do we print what a retired player has to say?

———————————————

Do you whine over every article quoting Kurt Warner, Michael Irvin, Deion Sanders, Joe Theisman, Warren Sapp, or any other retired player? Noooooo. You just whine about articles quoting Favre. I don’t know why–the guy was a great player and a hoot to watch. The game is less fun without him. The only thing he did to the Packers was play somewhere else. Why should you care? You won the championship without him. And the only thing he did to the Vikes was fail to carry their whole sorry team onto the podium last season all by himself. For that you all want to lynch him?? :roll: So what if vacillates about retiring? Who does it hurt?

Mike’s job is to generate page clicks … and he’s a master at it. As long as you dimwits will come to Favre threads and b*tch about why he’s writing about Favre, he’ll keep writing about Favre. Good for him.

63. thephantomstranger says: Aug 12, 2011 6:29 PM

Deb says:
    Aug 12, 2011 3:38 PM
    thephantomstranger says:

————————————————

____________

Wow, you’re on me today! Who do you think I am? Tombradysponytail?

Favre’s inability to play well was the single biggest reason the Vikings sucked last year. He certainly wasn’t the only reason, but you’re giving him a free pass. I’m not saying he didn’t try hard, I’m just saying he couldn’t get it done.

And I wouldn’t absolve Favre of all the blame on that junk shot stuff. I’m pretty sure he had a little something to do with that (no pun intended).

64. Deb says: Aug 12, 2011 8:07 PM

@thephantomstranger …

You are a little off today, but it’s not that bad LOL

I don’t necessarily disagree, but Favre’s inability to play well could be attributed to several things besides his own poor performance: injury, poor protection, lack of receivers, contentious play-calling, and most of all, that Sterger nonsense. I think that rattled him all season. Not saying the guy isn’t a dog in his personal life, but it’s not a football issue. Goodell had no business lending credence to stuff generated by Deadspin when no complaint had been filed. Meanwhile the league is fine with Brandon Underwood and Perrish Cox. Unbelievable.

65. dd393 says: Aug 12, 2011 8:28 PM

mthomashoover says: Aug 12, 2011 10:13 AM

That would be the appropriate ending to Brett’s career.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The appropriate ending to La Brette’s career was the Bears grinding his face into the dirt.

66. balzosteel says: Aug 13, 2011 11:53 AM

Brett Favre is going to be a very depressed man in his retirement. Think about it. He had the admiration of an entire state (Wisconsin), won 3 MVP’s in his playing career, signed autographs from idolizing kids, received league wide praise from coaches and fellow players, endorsements, Pro-Bowl trips to Hawaii, a happy marriage……..and now it’s all gone. All of it. To no fault but his own. I will NOT be surpised one bit if he turns to the bottle again and leads down a self-destructive path.

67. minnysoda says: Aug 13, 2011 12:51 PM

To balzosteel

God I hope so.

68. Deb says: Aug 13, 2011 3:05 PM

@balzosteel …

His wife wrote about his infidelities before they married, so you don’t know what kind of relationship they had. He still has endorsements and the friendships of fellow players. He’ll soon be in Canton. Retirement may be difficult for him, but not necessarily for the reasons you list.

69. toolkien says: Aug 14, 2011 5:36 PM

And he all but admits his previous motivation the past few years was working himself up, “putting a chip on his shoulder”.

In 2008, Favre “retired” and according to his story he never “unretired and reretired”, that was part of the smear campaign. So why did he say after the 2008 season that the main unforgiveable breach with Ted Thompson was he drafting two QB’s and “closing the door on me”? Sounds like he was working himself up unilaterally to play again. He retired after the Pack didn’t follow his wishes for the second time and sign Moss. So he retired. But just a few short weeks later, after the draft, he works himself up and tell Bus Cook to start pinging other teams for interest and talking directly to the Viking Brass about “hunting and weather”.

And so the bitter Divorce got under way.

Favre somehow couldn’t find the motivation to be the best QB for the Packers without being the de facto GM of the team. The only way he could motivate himself to play was to make TT the bad guy and wanting to come back to “stick it” to him.

That’s how Favre burned his legacy, Packer fans didn’t take it from him. It’s not Packers front office brass’ or the fans’ fault. Favre was mentally wore out to play for the Pack so he worked himself up to play for another team. Unfortunately for him, he “changed check out lanes” from the Pack to the Vikings. Just imagine, everything else equal, if Favre was the QB of the Pack in 2009 playing with proper motivation. Seems pretty likely would have been a 2nd seed in the playoffs in 2009 with the Packers, and maybe wouldn’t have had a team who lost the game on turnovers. Can’t really know, but he might have gotten something great with the Pack in 2009. But his messed up E.Q. (Emotional Quotient) screwed himself. At least he the career long low E.Q. couldn’t drag the Pack down with him anymore.