Greg Olsen: Bears’ claim that I asked for a trade is not true

Greg Olsen AP

After trading tight end Greg Olsen to the Panthers, Bears G.M. Jerry Angelo said that Olsen “came at me hard” and asked to be traded to a team that has a more tight end-friendly offense.

Olsen says that’s false.

“I’m the last one to go to the media and make big spectacles, but sometimes when things aren’t right, it’s hard to keep your mouth shut,” Olsen told the Chicago Tribune. “[Angelo] put the perception out that I forced my way out of there, which wasn’t true at all.

According to Olsen, Angelo is spreading the perception that Olsen demanded a trade because Angelo wants to avoid criticism for the decision.

“I never asked for a trade,” Olsen said. “If he had said, ‘We are going to try to get rid of you,’ I would have said, ‘That’s fine.’ I did not go in his office and ask for a trade. I think a little bit of that is him trying to make it look like I tried to force my way out because they took so much heat about it. It’s just not true.”

Still, Olsen says he’s happier in a Carolina offense that will see him playing to his strengths, rather than the Mike Martz offense that doesn’t get the tight end involved in the passing game.

“There’s no question I wasn’t happy catching only 40 passes after the previous two years,” Olsen said. “It was pretty clear when Mike was hired it was going to be a different role. But I embraced that and was the bigger man. I tried to do the best I could and think I played well.”

And Olsen says he would have been willing to keep playing well in Chicago, and it was Angelo’s decision to send him elsewhere.

Permalink 44 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Carolina Panthers, Chicago Bears, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
44 Responses to “Greg Olsen: Bears’ claim that I asked for a trade is not true”
  1. bozosforall says: Aug 12, 2011 10:19 AM

Dude, you are way better off not being in Martz’s offensive system anyway. Enjoy your escape from his doghouse.

2. simplesimon1 says: Aug 12, 2011 10:21 AM

Boy, Jerry Angelo would get along great with Aqib Talib. Just throw someone else under the bus when you feel the pressure. At least it wasn’t his mom he tried to throw under the bus though.

3. purpleguy says: Aug 12, 2011 10:26 AM

Angelo seems to do or say something stupid as Hades about once a month. Contrast that with TT at the Pack, and it’s not hard to see why one team has consistent success and the other doesn’t.

4. benh999 says: Aug 12, 2011 10:27 AM

Mike Martz is the most overrated “offensive genius” in the history of the NFL. The Rams he coached were a great team because of the HOF and All-Pro talent, not because of Martz’s special schemes. Not to mention how fast that team slid after Vermeil left. (Remember him benching Kurt Warner in favor of Marc Bulger?)

Even in Chicago, the only reason he was marginally successful last year was because he went against his own style and used more players in protection and got Olsen involved in the passing game.

5. randolph32 says: Aug 12, 2011 10:29 AM

It wouldn’t surprise me that Jerry is looking for the easy way out here….BUT, the next tackle that Olson breaks will BE HIS FIRST!!!

For all he was expected to be, in my mind he never gave Martz a reason to do anything more with him….YMMV.

6. Carl Gersbchmidt says: Aug 12, 2011 10:30 AM

Can’t make it up. One of the few talented players on their team and they treat him like garbage. They’re like the vikings of the East.

7. wacco4flacco says: Aug 12, 2011 10:30 AM

After that stunt the Bears pulled on the Ravens at the draft, I find it hard to trust anything G.M. Jerry Angelo or anyone else in the Bears brass says

8. asublimeday says: Aug 12, 2011 10:32 AM

Jerry Angelo, please do us all a favor and go away.

9. medialovesthecowboys says: Aug 12, 2011 10:35 AM

Angelo is a liar.

10. impeachgoodell says: Aug 12, 2011 10:38 AM

It beats me why folks (read Angelo) would make such blatantly false statements.
    Maybe they think the paying folks are that dumb?

11. countyk66ers says: Aug 12, 2011 10:48 AM

All is not well at the Midway.

12. drgfri says: Aug 12, 2011 10:49 AM

Maybe it was his mediocre play that led them to say he “asked to be traded.”

13. chc4 says: Aug 12, 2011 10:50 AM

Can’t imagine he’ll get many more balls in Carolina. Once Steve Smith gets hurt (which is inevitable) Olsen will be the only threat outside of the RBs.

14. thephantomstranger says: Aug 12, 2011 10:51 AM

Carl Gersbchmidt says:
    Aug 12, 2011 10:30 AM
    ___________

Perhaps you meant to say “they’re like Vikings East,” because Chicago is east of Minnesota. I can’t think of another way that Chicago is in the East. The NFC East? No, they’re in the NFC North? The East Coast? No, they’re strongly in the midwest.

I think you treated your daughter like garbage when you named her Brett.

15. Carl Gersbchmidt says: Aug 12, 2011 10:53 AM

thephantomstranger says:
    Aug 12, 2011 10:51 AM
    Carl Gersbchmidt says:
    Aug 12, 2011 10:30 AM
    ___________

I think you treated your daughter like garbage when you named her Brett.

_________

Why don’t you mind yoour own business. And, we pronounce it br-I-tt.

16. ninjapleazee says: Aug 12, 2011 10:54 AM

as a Bears fan, I hated to see Olsen get traded for next to nothing…

you’re better off in Carolina where you are appreciated.

Cowher will coach the Bears in 2012 and Martz can take his greatest show on turd to the UFL

17. packfannchitown says: Aug 12, 2011 10:57 AM

Ah Jerry Angelo, the best thing to happen to the Packers since John Schoop.

18. packfannchitown says: Aug 12, 2011 10:59 AM

Many seem to forget that Martz was somewhere around number eight on Lovie’s list of choices for Offensive Coordinator. The man got turned down by nearly every viable candidate (many think it was because Lovie was on the last year of his contract and they didn’t want to be a one-hit-wonder) and only at the end did he hire Martz, AFTER Martz traveled to either the combine or some other event on his own dime and asked to be considered…

19. cvananda says: Aug 12, 2011 11:00 AM

Not sure if I believe what Olsen is saying because his agent admitted trying to seek a trade for him:

Olsen’s agent, Drew Rosenhaus, sent an e-mail at 7:56 p.m. Wednesday to general managers and personnel people on all 32 teams saying Olsen would be available.

“The Bears have granted me permission to seek a trade for Greg Olsen,” Rosenhaus wrote, as first reported by Brad Biggs of the Chicago Tribune. “Please let me know if interested. Sounds like the Bears will be very reasonable on the compensation in return for Greg.”

However, 11 minutes later, Rosenhaus sent another e-mail to the same recipients, saying, “Please disregard my previous email regarding Greg Olsen.”

20. fastrichie says: Aug 12, 2011 11:02 AM

Can I just say one more time how big of a jag bag I think Jerry Angelo is???

Worst GM in the NFL and it’s not even close if you ask me.

21. philtration says: Aug 12, 2011 11:02 AM

Angelo is a turd but to be honest Olson was not lighting it up even before Martz got here.
    He is fast for a TE and can make some nice catches but the Bears need someone to protect the QB and Olson is not that guy.
    He fumbles a lot and most of them come at the worst moment.
    He is a poster boy for being a drive killer.
    His blocking sucked and his QB was getting killed so good for him if he can play in a system that works for him.

Saying that Angelo is a liar is nothing new to anyone that has heard him speak.

22. svcfilmguy says: Aug 12, 2011 11:03 AM

What a surprise. Two men trying to spin a story to suit their own needs. I have no idea who is telling the truth here. Wouldn’t it be refreshing if just once, a GM and a player would agree on exactly what was said between the two? It wouldn’t be as interesting, but it would be the first time that I can remember.

23. hawkman84 says: Aug 12, 2011 11:24 AM

Hey Chicago,

As a Seahawks fan I will say that last year you may have won the BATTLE by knocking us off in the playoffs, but I’ll tell you this…you have lost the WAR in having Tim Ruskell in your front office.

That guy can ruin a franchise quick and you are now witnessing it first-hand what he did to us in 3 short years.

We’re still correcting the mistakes (Kelly Jennings and numerous O and D linemen) he’s made to our franchise.

I know most of you guys were upset about Olin Kreutz leaving….

Well let me tell you, this is JUST the beginning!

So, again, I say to you:

You may have won the BATTLE, but you have lost the WAR!

Best of luck to you guys…I mean it but I also would be lying if I said I wasn’t giggling on the inside.

So….hahahahaha!

But seriously…best of luck to you guys.

24. prior0knowledge says: Aug 12, 2011 11:32 AM

Hey, I think Jerry Angelo is scum for the trick he pulled on the Ravens in the draft. He should be banned from NFL for that alone. And now he is lying to save his butt for a bad decision?

Worse than Matt Millen.

25. jutts says: Aug 12, 2011 11:33 AM

Jerry Angelo is a piece of work. Expecially now that he has his “boy” , working hand in hand with him.. I mean Ruskell. Hope George McCaskey gets rid of the whole bunch. Lets bring in a new center to ride the pines . Stupid.

26. svcfilmguy says: Aug 12, 2011 11:39 AM

Well…you do have a coach with a career winning percentage of .400. Yep. .400. Checkmate.

27. drshankenstein says: Aug 12, 2011 11:46 AM

What more can go wrong with the Bears this season ?? Seriously !?!?
    -Still talking about the Cutler BS
    -The draft f-up with The Ravens
    -Signing R.Williams and V. Gholston
    -not signing Olin Kruetz
    – the only up grades to an awful o-line was Signing Spencer (3 million a year)to be a back up
    -the canceled family day due to the awful field
    -the lights go out during practice
    -benching your leading WR
    – C.Harris and Forte has yet to be signed

Am I missing anything ?

28. anarchopurplism says: Aug 12, 2011 11:53 AM

The Bears don’t lie. Just ask the Ravens.

29. polishrod says: Aug 12, 2011 11:59 AM

Shockey and Olsen should have to fight, MMA style, for the job. Otherwise, who cares who starts at TE for the Panthers?

30. cutlergoesdown says: Aug 12, 2011 12:05 PM

That is just dirty pool.

31. lionsnationdotcom says: Aug 12, 2011 12:07 PM

jutts says:
    Aug 12, 2011 11:33 AM

————————————————–
    sry buddy, Nobody is worse than Matt Millen.

32. fthejets says: Aug 12, 2011 12:08 PM

meanwhile Miami needs a TE and they rather stick with Fasano. The Bears were screaming to unload Olsen for the cheap which makes no sense..

33. southcakpanther says: Aug 12, 2011 12:40 PM

I am so happy we ended up with Greg Olsen. I don’t thin khe has dropped one ball in camp. He is bigger and faster that I thought as well. He is our #2 receiver and the way Chud is planning to use him, Greg will probably be a pro-bowler.

34. spacincasen says: Aug 12, 2011 1:08 PM

As a Bears fan, I was upset about the Olsen trade. But honestly, with one year left on his deal, he had a good chance of leaving via free agency after this year.

Olsen will be missed, don’t get me wrong, but have any of you non-Bears fans ever heard of Kellen Davis, his replacement? he has great size (6’7), fast (for how big he is), good hands, great redzone target, and a better blocker than Olsen.

Sad to see Olsen go, but we’ll probably be fine without him. Olsen deserved a better situation and in that respect, I’m glad he found one.

As for the article… If Olsen wasn’t asking for a trade, does that mean that Rosenhaus wasn’t asking for one either? It’s a fair question.

35. bearfan51 says: Aug 12, 2011 1:22 PM

Good riddance to Greg!

The guy couldn’t block!

The guy couldn’t break a tackle!

The guy couldn’t pick up yards after the catch!

The guy almost never used his size against small defensive backs!

Greg had above average hands and that was about it. Greg underperformed his whole time in Chicago. I am ready to see what Kellen Davis can do!

36. cosmicduster says: Aug 12, 2011 1:31 PM

Greg is a frustrating talent. He’s huge and blazing fast, yet he really doesn’t get open deep nor does he ever break tackles.

37. mrblazino says: Aug 12, 2011 3:12 PM

We’ll miss u in da chi greg. Superbowl HERE WE COME! GO BEARS!

38. dodgerpalooza says: Aug 12, 2011 4:22 PM

Hey flesh colored beard…..have fun in CAR with the Clausen/Newton/Rivera project.

Any one that Rosenhaus represents always is loyal to the team…right??? Next Question.

39. axespray says: Aug 12, 2011 6:33 PM

everyone rips on Lovie Smith, but if you consider that he has to work with what Jerry Angelo gives him to play with….

I think if anything, Lovie should be applauded…

How many other coaches in the league can say that their GM passed up on a Good RB for a practice sqaud QB?

40. philtration says: Aug 12, 2011 8:36 PM

hawkman84 says: Aug 12, 2011 11:24 AM

Hey Chicago,

I know most of you guys were upset about Olin Kreutz leaving….
    Well let me tell you, this is JUST the beginning!

So, again, I say to you:
    You may have won the BATTLE, but you have lost the WAR!

So….hahahahaha!
    But seriously…best of luck to you guys.
    ===================================

I believe that the Bears knocked the Seahawks out of the playoffs in 2006 too.
    Still bitter about that one too?

To be honest… no one in Chicago ever, EVER thinks about the Seahawks or Seattle.

I don’t even drink coffee.

41. bullethead527 says: Aug 15, 2011 9:35 PM

I cant wait to see Olsen hush the crowd a solider field when we play in peppers house, we gotta get revenge for what peppers did last year!! LOL, I like the bears though, Martz system is not built for a TE, look at Vernon Davis when he played in his system compared to the previous year before MArtz got there, (Major Decline), if he was a FA, how many teams would pursue him if he was!!! When the trade first mentioned a player was in the mix I was thinking a O line from the panthers!!!! But hey, did yall see Cam and Jimmy hitting Olsen for a combined 58 yards and a TD, while only mainly playing in the 1st QT??????

42. hawkman84 says: Aug 16, 2011 11:26 PM

@philtration:

I believe that the Bears knocked the Seahawks out of the playoffs in 2006 too.
    Still bitter about that one too?

I don’t even drink coffee.

……………………………………………………………………………

Nope, not at all, Philly my man, not at all!

Well, when Ruskell helps tank your franchise, I guarantee, GUARANTEE you’ll be thinking about us a heck of a lot more then!

Hahahahahaha!

Go Timmmmmmy!

Hahahahahaha!

43. calihawk33 says: Aug 18, 2011 1:45 AM

hawkman84 says: Aug 16, 2011 11:26 PM

@philtration:

I believe that the Bears knocked the Seahawks out of the playoffs in 2006 too. Still bitter about that one too?

I don’t even drink coffee.

……………………………………………………………………………

Nope, not at all, Philly my man, not at all!

Hahahahahaha!

Go Timmmmmmy!

Hahahahahaha!
    ______________________________________________

44. calihawk33 says: Aug 18, 2011 1:57 AM

hawkman84 says: Aug 16, 2011 11:26 PM

@philtration:

I don’t even drink coffee.

……………………………………………………………………………

Nope, not at all, Philly my man, not at all!

Hahahahahaha!

Go Timmmmmmy!

Hahahahahaha!
    ___________________________________________________________________
    Hawkman- your are almost as believable as Angelo. “Hahahaha??” Really? A mocking laugh?!? Have a great time having your college coach Pete Carroll leave your team worse off than your buddy Ruskell did or does with the Bears.

Good luck going 6-10 again… As Carroll has only gotten worse (as he was lucky by inheriting Parcells talent and drove them into the ground too, JUST like USC…)