Leinart still sees himself as a starter

Matt Leinart AP

The preseason may be Matt Leinart’s only time to show what he can do in Houston this year, as he has no chance of starting as long as Matt Schaub is healthy. But Leinart insists that he’s eventually going to win a starting job in the NFL.

I still want to be a starter, that’s my goal,” Leinart said. “I’m still young. I’ve still got a lot of ball left.”

Leinart acknowledges that his career hasn’t gone the way he thought it would. He was handed the starting job in Arizona until it became painfully obvious that his presence ahead of Kurt Warner on the depth chart was holding the team back, and then after Warner retired he still couldn’t win the starting job and was ultimately cut by the Cardinals.

“It’s been a roller-coaster ride, but my career goal is always to be a starter,” Leinart said. “I want to start in this league, I want to get to a Super Bowl. No matter what people say or think or believe, I’m working at that every day and waiting until my time comes.”

Texans coach Gary Kubiak says Leinart will play “a great deal” in the preseason. Eventually Leinart thinks he’s going to play a great deal in the regular season.

“Guys have taken so many different routes in their careers,” Leinart said. “Every way is different, and you never know what’s going to happen. For me, I just know that my opportunity is going to come.”

Permalink 25 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Houston Texans, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors
25 Responses to “Leinart still sees himself as a starter”
  1. MichaelEdits says: Aug 12, 2011 7:59 AM

He spent his final year in college playing football and studying ballroom dancing, so if the NFL gig doesn’t work out, I see him as a starter on Dancing With The Stars.

2. h07z says: Aug 12, 2011 8:01 AM

He had his chance with Seattle, but decided he didn’t want to try and beat out T-Jax and Checkdown Charlie. Not exactly the kind of fire and conviction you find in successful NFL QBs.

3. phillipashe says: Aug 12, 2011 8:02 AM

“…For me, I just know that my opportunity is going to come.” Are you kidding? How many more opportunities do you need, man? You already have two more than what you deserve.

4. edukator4 says: Aug 12, 2011 8:05 AM

28 going into the season isnt old but its not young either by nfl qb standards. he will be 29 going into next season without a full year of starting under his belt. it will be tough for him to convince a team to pick him up as a starter. however in the nfl backup qbs are one hit away from being able to show what you can do.

5. eagleswin says: Aug 12, 2011 8:12 AM

———————–

I still don’t think he was given a fair shot by Wisenhunt, especially after Warner retired. Who the heck brings in Derek Anderson to be the starter? I think he’s a number 3 QB on some team right now. I’m actually impressed that Wiz didn’t think he could “coach up” Delhomme this season.

The way they released him, on the eve of the season opener was downright embarrassing. I remain convinced that there was nothing Leinart could’ve done to win that QB job. Part of my evidence are the QBs he chose to keep.

I don’t know if Leinart will or will not end up a starter for some team at some point but he did not get the chance in Arizona.

6. otistaylor89 says: Aug 12, 2011 8:25 AM

I see myself as a starting QB in the NFL too!

Of course, I’m 48 years old and never played college football – Matt and i probably have the same chances.

7. akulabug says: Aug 12, 2011 8:28 AM

When I was a kid I saw myself as Brook Shield’s husband.

Didn’t work out.

8. tjrubleysaudible says: Aug 12, 2011 8:38 AM

Cool story bro

I still see myself 10 lbs. lighter and 20 years younger, too.

9. sj39 says: Aug 12, 2011 8:39 AM

Put the bong down Matt.

10. gdeli says: Aug 12, 2011 8:49 AM

I like dreamin’ . wow, he just doesn’t get it. It ain’t happening.

11. gcsuk says: Aug 12, 2011 8:58 AM

Now, all he needs to do is see himself as an owner, a GM, and a Head Coach, too, and he can MAKE himself the starter!

12. ninjapleazee says: Aug 12, 2011 9:01 AM

resigning with the Texans doesnt seem like such a smart idea now was it

13. polegojim says: Aug 12, 2011 9:04 AM

MD – great pic of a puzzled looking and head scratching Leinart.

We feel the same way.

14. gregjennings85 says: Aug 12, 2011 9:05 AM

This guy is downright hilarious.

I don’t think he could hold down a starting job in the UFL, let alone him.

15. jpb12 says: Aug 12, 2011 9:09 AM

He should go to KC and hold Cassel’s clipboard for a while.

16. gregjennings85 says: Aug 12, 2011 9:11 AM

Replace, “‘him” with “in the NFL.”

Man, I need a coffee.

17. jimmymcnultysbottleofjameson says: Aug 12, 2011 9:45 AM

I’d like to be pimps from Oakland or cowboys from Arizona but it’s not Halloween

18. ace1716 says: Aug 12, 2011 10:01 AM

“I’ve still got a lot of ball left.”

he’s talking about ballroom dancing right? he wouldn’t be a starting quarterback if the league created 4 more expansion teams that needed starting qb’s.

so much for those USC stars who won in college:Matt Leinhart, Reggie Bush, LenDale White…LOL welcome to real football/reality

19. dukemarc says: Aug 12, 2011 10:19 AM

In what? The lingerie bowl?

20. gmoedc says: Aug 12, 2011 10:27 AM

- Insert lame response about how he’ll never be a starter, that I think is witty-

Shoot em down guys! Everyone else is!

Is he one injury away from being the qb of a superbowl caliber team? I might take that over a battle with t-jax and whitehurst. If he believes that he can start then that would be a great shot to show people what he can do. No excuses if he doesn’t execute with the Texans (if given the chance to start)…the Seahawks on the other hand….

21. mandracchia says: Aug 12, 2011 10:52 AM

This is perfect example of why you don’t draft a player that is on a high profile team like USC. There was a lot of good players that made him look like a super star but really he was just an average player

22. raynman49 says: Aug 12, 2011 12:16 PM

Delusional! (great pic).

23. granadafan says: Aug 12, 2011 1:41 PM

Yet another Heisman winning trophy winner bust in the NFL. Just about every winner since 1990 who plays the QB position has been a bust or never made it to the NFL. Fact. They’re surrounded by unbelievable talent and are most often in a good system where they don’t have to think or make reads. When they get to the NFL their progress has been hindered by being hindered in college.

24. caeser12 says: Aug 12, 2011 2:41 PM

Matt Leinart= the original Tim Tebow

25. dd393 says: Aug 12, 2011 8:32 PM

“I still want to be a starter, that’s my goal.”

I want to play beer pong in a hot tub with a half a dozen really hot babes. That’s my goal.