Patriots showcase their backup quarterbacks

Tom Brady, Bill Belichick,, Ryan Mallett AP

If New England intends to eventually trade quarterback Brian Hoyer or Ryan Mallett in a future deal, consider Thurday night’s 47-12 preseason win over the Jaguars a big success.

Both quarterbacks looked very sharp against Jacksonville.  Hoyer doesn’t have the pedigree of, say, Kevin Kolb.  But he could attract some interest eventually.

NFL Network’s Mike Lombardi said that when he was interviewing with the 49ers for a personnel job this offseason, he told them he would go after Hoyer as a cheap and promising alternative at quarterback.  The former undrafted player has steadily improved; he made a number of tough throws while completing 15-of-21 passes for 171 yards and a score Thursday.

Mallett was even more impressive because it was his first game. Scouts crushed him for his slow foot speed, but he made defenders miss by moving in the pocket multiple times while keeping his eyes downfield.  That’s a trait that’s tough to teach.  Mallett had great zip on the ball while going 12-for-19 for 164 yards and a touchdown.

It’s easy to see Mallett attracting a bigger trade offer than Hoyer in the future, but neither deal would be shocking. It also wouldn’t shock us if some impatient Patriots fans call for Mallett to play sometime in 2012 after a rough Tom Brady game.

After all, there are still some Patriots fans that prefer Drew Bledsoe to Brady.  Sad but true.

Permalink 88 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New England Patriots, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
88 Responses to “Patriots showcase their backup quarterbacks”
  1. polegojim says: Aug 12, 2011 9:18 AM

Unless the Jags D is simply MUCH worse than expected, this is impressive.

47-12… with only back up QB’s???

Points to a great offensive year for the Pats

2. jessieboom says: Aug 12, 2011 9:20 AM

Yea I prefer Drew over Tom for the Pats too, but I’m a Dolphin fan.

3. FinFan68 says: Aug 12, 2011 9:20 AM

Not drafting Mallett was one of the dumbest moves the Dolphins have made. That kid is going to be great.

4. richm2256 says: Aug 12, 2011 9:21 AM

“It also wouldn’t shock us if some impatient Patriots fans call for Mallett to play sometime in 2012 after a rough Tom Brady game”

That reminds me, I saw Michael Bishop bagging groceries at Stop & Shop yesterday, he said to say “Hello”.

5. bigperm33 says: Aug 12, 2011 9:22 AM

“After all, there are still some Patriots fans that prefer Drew Bledsoe to Brady. Sad but true.”

What is sad is that you just completely made that up.

6. wryly1 says: Aug 12, 2011 9:22 AM

Gonna take a lot more than playing in an exhibition game against guys who won’t make NFL rosters anyways, to convince me Mallet won’t turn out to be closer to a Derek Anderson than a Brett Favre.

7. GG Eden says: Aug 12, 2011 9:23 AM

Mallett was very impressive. Just goes to show coming from a pro-style background in college, plenty of starts, experience in that, will put you in good stead in the NFL.

Also watch out for Stanzi eventually too, should be interesting to see how his pre-season looks. He has a lot of that poise in the pocket, stepping up in the face of blitzes or collapsing pockets, keeping his eyes downfield, going thru his progressions, etc.

I hope Al Davis gives Belichick a call about Mallett. Best way: let Bill refine Ryan, and then have him come to Oakland where we dont have a good history of developing QBs.

8. tjacks7 says: Aug 12, 2011 9:23 AM

Man I don’t understand how Mallett fell in the draft. I know he had some character issues, but there’s been guys with worse issues than him drafted in the 1st and 2nd. The guys the best QB proospect in the draft minus those red flags.

9. sj39 says: Aug 12, 2011 9:27 AM

Mallett won’t be traded. He is Brady’s replacement. BB knows when to pull the srings.

10. luckynumberlucas says: Aug 12, 2011 9:27 AM

Nah, they ain’t trading Mallett.

Belichick is gonna teach that kid, Brady is gonna mentor him and when Brady retires somewhat around 2014, the Pats will have a fine QB ready to go.

Again.

11. redrocker77 says: Aug 12, 2011 9:28 AM

As a Jag fan, I can tell you that it was the defense. I can promise you that they won’t have numbers anywhere close to that again in the preseason. Next week will be different for those two QB’s.

12. saxmachine69 says: Aug 12, 2011 9:29 AM

it’s one preseason game, don’t get too excited, christ. Brady Quinn looked great in his first preseason game if I remember correctly……

13. benh999 says: Aug 12, 2011 9:29 AM

What about a professional football journalist who calls the Rams of 10 years ago “The Greatest Show on Earth”? Is that sad?

14. svcfilmguy says: Aug 12, 2011 9:30 AM

Can we put on the brakes here? Yes, they’re very impressive against the backup defense for one of the worst pass rushing defenses in the league. Good for them. But let’s see how they do against the starting defenses of Pittsburgh, Green Bay, Baltimore, etc…

They’re promising, but God, this is one preseason game. They may have value in the future, but this is a non-story for now.

15. prior0knowledge says: Aug 12, 2011 9:32 AM

I was pissed when my team passed up Mallet twice in the draft. Mallet has all the makings of a sleeper.

16. manny58200 says: Aug 12, 2011 9:32 AM

internet hack!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Brady over Drew Bledsoe

17. thetechnocrat says: Aug 12, 2011 9:33 AM

YES!!! I don’t like the Pats and always hate it when my team has to play them in the playoffs or regular season. I do love Mallett and the good pick by the Pats.

I’m glad he’s doing well. I defended him on draftdebacled and here against his character assassination in the media with all the “rumors.” He was in college and having a good time, just like me and everyone else did. He’s a natural tall, strong armed, pocket QB.

I hope he kicks ass on whatever team eventually trades for him down the road. Seattle perhaps???

18. TheWizard says: Aug 12, 2011 9:40 AM

As a Jag fan, I can tell you that it was the defense

Some truth to that I’m sure, but the Pats offense was entirely 2nd team from the first snap.

Preseason scores are meaningless in most cases, but it does bode well for their depth.

19. barneysbullet says: Aug 12, 2011 9:42 AM

@tjacks7

Ryan Leaf could have been that eventual stud too had he developed in Belichicks system.

20. packers291 says: Aug 12, 2011 9:42 AM

For those of you claiming that mallet is the successor to Brady:

Brady is going to play till he is 40, we all know it. His existing contract runs for another 4 years, or till he is 38. The only way Mallett play over Brady is if Mallett somehow shows that he’s better than Brady—good luck with that.

Hoyer and Mallett will stay for the length of their contracts, as long as they aren’t traded, then go compete for playing time elsewhere.

You don’t acquire the successor to a franchise QB 5 to 6 years before the starter leaves; the new kid’s contract will be up by then and he will just go elsewhere.

21. pfii63 says: Aug 12, 2011 9:42 AM

Both Hoyer and Mallett will be on the roster this year…no trades likely. If they are impressed enough with Mallett by next season, I would expect them to trade Hoyer. Mallett is in a great situation – no pressure, time to develop as a QB and mature as a person under Belichick, and he would appear to be the heir apparent to Tom Brady when he does decide to hang it up.In ten years we’ll be talking about Brady/Mallett in a way comparable to Montana/Young… maybe better.

22. beecee71 says: Aug 12, 2011 9:43 AM

what kind of contract can you get being a pre-season all-pro?Is there a preseason Hall of Fame?

23. clarencewhorley says: Aug 12, 2011 9:43 AM

Why would anyone think Brady is retiring any time soon? The last 2 healthy seasons he had he won the MVP.

24. akulabug says: Aug 12, 2011 9:44 AM

The day they call for Brady to leave the field will be the day they carry him off the field…on their shoulders.

He’s up there with Bird, Ted, and Orr….ain’t gonna happen.

25. GG Eden says: Aug 12, 2011 9:45 AM

No way Mallet sits for 3 years. He’ll be traded.

26. wiley16350 says: Aug 12, 2011 9:45 AM

I think that if Bledsoe (in his prime) played for a Patriot team this good, he could do what Brady has done. I think Brady is really good and does some things better than Bledsoe. Mainly in terms of pre-snap reads which aid Brady in getting rid of the ball quicker more consistently when needed. But the Patriots throw so many screens and they don’t hold Brady back by forcing the run or being conservative that it’s easier for Brady to be successful than it was for Bledsoe. There are things that Bledsoe did well that nobody gives him credit for. I’ve seen Bledsoe complete more passes while being hit or just before taking a hit than I have seen any other QB. Now granted I haven’t watched a lot of QB’s game in and game out but Bledsoe would do it a couple times a game. I could put together a highlight reel of Bledsoe that would impress pretty much anybody using multiple impressive throws while being hit, under pressure, throwing into tight windows and even moving away from pressure. He isn’t as bad as people want to make him out to be. They look at his stats and say he wasn’t very efficient, but when you watch the games you see that his completion % was so poor because of the number of throw aways, batted balls (which was partly because when he was younger he got rid of the ball so quickly that defenders would try to defend him that way) and dropped balls. People tend to forget that he was one of the least sacked QB’s when he was younger (despite throwing the ball the most) and that Brady was actually worse in 2001 than Bledsoe was in 2000 (his worst season in sacks). Not only that but all the QB’s from Jim Kelly’s last season until Trent Edwards was sacked more than Bledsoe was as a Bill with the exception of Doug Flutie and Alex Van Pelt. And many of those guys were more athletic than Bledsoe. The only reason the sacks became so important was the Bills offense became conservative and Bledsoe was in alot of 3rd and long situations and so the sacks became more important. When he started with the Bills, they were scoring 30+ points a game and he was getting sacked 4 times or so each game. But they didn’t matter because they didn’t always come at the worst times. But because the Bills defense was so bad they started running more on 1st and 2nd down and became predictable which in turn put Bledsoe in 3rd and long and the sacks would come then. I’m not saying Bledsoe is better than Brady, But It is more fun to watch Bledsoe because he made more impressive plays more often. Of course he also had more negative plays, but much of that was due to his team mates abilities then his own abilities. Other things people don’t realize is that Bledsoe did deliver alot in the clutch with over 30 game winning drives and he holds the record for touchdowns in overtime. Someday I will put a Bledsoe tribute on Youtube so that people can appreciate his abilities a little bit more.

27. achap39 says: Aug 12, 2011 9:45 AM

@Svcfilmguy: How ISN’T this a story? Here’s a kid who “couldn’t play from under center,” a kid who was once thought to be a 1st rounder whose stock plummeted, a kid who’s accuracy and mobility was questioned….going 12-19 for 190 and a TD…against with a #2 unit against a #2 defensive unit. This wasn’t a #1 O against a #3 D.

In the preseason especially, Mallett’s numbers from THU are going to end up being the barometer by which other rookie QBs are compared.

Whether fairly or unfairly, that’s what the national media is going to do.

28. duanethomas says: Aug 12, 2011 9:48 AM

I dont believe this one bit. How do you know???

Patriot fans:

Thumbs up for Brady

Thumbs down for Bledsoe

29. svcfilmguy says: Aug 12, 2011 9:50 AM

Why is it so unthinkable to discuss Brady retiring in the near future? Any number of factors could contribute to that scenario: injury, concussions, lack of passion, desire to take time off to raise his children, etc…

We can debate on the likelihood all day, but don’t tell me that there’s a voice in the back of Belichick’s mind telling him that Mallett could be Brady’s eventual successor. It’s not sacrilegious. It’s not offensive. It’s brilliant foresight by a savant.

Now, before Patriots fans jump all over me, let me say that I do think Brady will at the very least play out his contract. But please, don’t start with the indignance and hypersensitivity any time someone suggests that the Patriots may be looking past Brady. It makes you look silly.

30. mannyicey says: Aug 12, 2011 9:51 AM

I said it on here plenty of times: Mallet is going to be a great NFL quarterback. He looked like an NFL quarterback in college. His basic skills are really nice.

I don’t understand why he isn’t a Bengal.

31. svcfilmguy says: Aug 12, 2011 9:51 AM

*not a voice in the back of his head

32. jblosser7 says: Aug 12, 2011 9:52 AM

Rex Ryan loves mallets slow foot speed.

33. rc33 says: Aug 12, 2011 9:53 AM

Mallett looked really impressive. That guy’s arm is no joke. He looked composed and made good decisions.
    I’m not certain but I think Mallett might have the strongest arm in the NFL. Just bullets.

Some team, either next offseason or 2013, will pay handsomely for a guy who’s benefitted from playing for that Coach and learning under that QB; those selling points aside from his obvious physical tools.
    Seriously, Jake Locker went 8th overall and Ryan Mallett went 74th.
    I have no idea who’ll be better but only one has the potential to be a high value selection.

34. pfii63 says: Aug 12, 2011 9:58 AM

Wiley16350 -

As a Pats fan, I have to say great post! I don’t think most Patriots fans believe that Bledsoe was anything but a great quarterback…the second best in Patriot history. And the teams he played for, with the exception of those he shared with Brady, had a very different offensive philosophy. Thus, I do think Bledsoe sometimes gets a bad rap when he doesn’t deserve it. Brady started out as a system quarterback but has evolved into much more than that (and definitely superior to Bledsoe)… IMO he is the best quarterback in the league… and even if you want to argue the point, no one can argue that he isn’t in the top three. The Patriots have been very fortunate to be guided by Bledsoe and Brady for all of these years.

For those that think that Brady will play forever, don’t count on it. I think he has always been clear that there is more to his life than football. If the Pats win another championship or two over the next three or four years, don;t be surprised to watch him leave while he is still on top. Mallett could really benefit studying behind this Hall of Famer.

35. sj39 says: Aug 12, 2011 9:59 AM

Just look at the picture and the look on Brady’s face and his body language. Like “he’s younger than me, faster than me, stronger than me and BB picked him to replace me”.

36. weneedlinemen42 says: Aug 12, 2011 9:59 AM

I was really disappointed when the Redskins passed on him during the draft. I like the picks we made but I can’t help but think we missed a shot at a talented QB despite him falling a long way down the draft.

You can see from his college videos that he can move well enough in the pocket to make people miss and that he has a cannon for an arm. If it turns out scouts allowed him to drop because he smoked a bit and had difficulty adapting to life away from home when he started college then I hope they all get fired.

37. pfii63 says: Aug 12, 2011 9:59 AM

svcfilmguy says:
    Aug 12, 2011 9:50 AM

————————————————

Spot on, my friend.

38. achap39 says: Aug 12, 2011 9:59 AM

You’re always going to get hypersensitive reactions when you talk about the face of a franchise retiring. Whether Mallett/Hoyer sticks around until Brady retires remains to be seen.

39. svcfilmguy says: Aug 12, 2011 10:00 AM

@achap39,

I stated plain as day in my post why it wasn’t a story. I’ll repeat it again in case you misinterpreted my 6 sentence post: it’s ONE PRESEASON GAME. One. One less than two. Lots of backups look great in the preseason and end up as practice squad fodder. I’m not saying that Mallett will; I’m merely saying that drawing conclusions about his future based on one game is silly.

And who cares what the national media does? My post was criticizing them. They’re ripe for criticism, particularly in this case.

40. allaboutdabillslikebuffalo says: Aug 12, 2011 10:02 AM

Glad to see poz not missing a beat making a tackle 8 yards down field

41. svcfilmguy says: Aug 12, 2011 10:05 AM

“The prevailing train of thought is that one, if not both, will turn into a Matt Cassel/Kevin Kolb situation where an undrafted FA or 3rd rounder can be spun off for a #1 later on.”

Very possible. But it’s way too early to draw those conclusions.

“That being said, the fact that they have TWO legit backup QBs and can prepare themselves for the future post-Brady is something that will keep their success going even after TB leaves.”

That they do. Very few are better than Belichick at anticipating the future. Having two quality backups is a great problem to have.

“IMO, part of comes from the fact that the Colts have no one to succeed Manning (Curtis Painter?)- Belichick didn’t want to be caught in that type of situation.”

Bingo! The Colts haven’t even developed a long-term backup. Sorgi (now gone) and Painter did not, and have not, shown any indications that they could/can be good backups, let alone long-term solutions. Belichick knows what he’s doing.

42. tedmurph says: Aug 12, 2011 10:07 AM

beecee71says:

Ask Matt Hasselbeck and Matt Schaub.

43. simplesimon1 says: Aug 12, 2011 10:15 AM

What’s going to be a shocker a year or two from now is when Brady wants a new contract and they decide that Mallett is good enough to take the team on his shoulders. I could see them doing the opposite of what most are thinking. Everybody thinks Mallett is going to be used for players and/or draft picks. I think Brady will be, and Mallett will be the new starter down the road. The Patriots are renowned for doing things like this.

44. kom2k10 says: Aug 12, 2011 10:17 AM

This is just further proof that Brady is a system quarterback…

45. bcgreg says: Aug 12, 2011 10:18 AM

Brady will be around too long for either Hoyer or Mallet to be his replacement. Unless Brady has a change of heart, he has stated that he wants to play into his 40s. Wether he can remains to be seen, but considering he’s 34, that’s 6 more years. Brady’s replacement isn’t on the team yet. Hoyer and Mallet will be traded for picks. Hoyer will get at least a third. Mallet will get a 2nd rounder. Brilliant on Belichick’s part.

As for Bledsoe, I’m the biggest Bledsoe fan there is. I love the guy, but there is no way that ANY Pats fan is wishing we still had Bledsoe instead of Brady. To quote a new Patriot. Child, please.

46. drgfri says: Aug 12, 2011 10:20 AM

Not hard to look good when Yo Gabba Gabbert is starting opposite you….

47. fran021 says: Aug 12, 2011 10:23 AM

That’s the worst throwaway line to end a story I’ve ever read.

48. theravishingrachelnichols says: Aug 12, 2011 10:30 AM

Dude, who have you been talking too?

Okay, Leadfoot had some supporters after he filled in for Tom late in the 2001 season (after coming back from Mo Lewis’ KO) to help win the AFC title game. Key word there, 2001.

But Billy didn’t screw it up Rob Johnson-Doug Flutie style (I’m look at you, Wade) and brought Brady back, riding the hot hand and letting him finish what he started.

3 Super Bowls (and 2 SB MVPs) later I bet you can’t find a Pat’s fan that is still thinks Drew was the better QB. Oh wait, check that, you can’t find a sane Pats fan that still has a man-crush on Drew.

You’re just making stuff up, how man Pats fans did you talk to before you came to this opinion?

How come you’re not writing posts about “all the Colts fans” you know that are just dying to see Jim Sorgi return and take over for Manning since he’s still hobbled from having his neck-bolts ground down?

49. southbeachtalent says: Aug 12, 2011 10:33 AM

I can’t believe the Dolphins passed on this guy. Lombardi had said he looked great in camp and after seeinng him play (given that it was a pre-season game, against back-ups) he looked poised and confident. He delivered the ball with ease and read the defense quickly. I see him only improving…. and the freakin dolphins passed on him. Daniel Thomas better be freakin Marshall Faulk.

50. zoxitic says: Aug 12, 2011 10:36 AM

allaboutdabillslikebuffalo says:

Glad to see poz not missing a beat making a tackle 8 yards down field

______________________________
    You sound like a jilted lover. Get over it. He’s gone. Move on with your life.

51. patriotera says: Aug 12, 2011 10:38 AM

Guy at work wanted Zolak over Bledsoe.

52. tbonecostanza says: Aug 12, 2011 10:39 AM

Didn’t Rohan Davey tear it up in one pre-season?

53. bozosforall says: Aug 12, 2011 10:41 AM

duanethomas says:
    Aug 12, 2011 9:48 AM

I dont believe this one bit. How do you know???

Patriot fans:

Thumbs up for Brady

Thumbs down for Bledsoe

38 24
    __
    38-24

Sure looks like there are many Pats fans who prefer Bledsoe over Brady. Maybe they feel that Bledsoe, given the same chances to use the other teams’ defensive signals, could have done even better than Brady did. LMAO

54. svcfilmguy says: Aug 12, 2011 10:42 AM

zoxitic says:
    Aug 12, 2011 10:36 AM
    allaboutdabillslikebuffalo says:

Glad to see poz not missing a beat making a tackle 8 yards down field

______________________________
    You sound like a jilted lover. Get over it. He’s gone. Move on with your life.

Yeah…I think you missed the point.

55. neatz says: Aug 12, 2011 10:50 AM

From Patriots Fans:
    Drew Bledsoe- We appreciate what he did for Pats
    Brady- We simply Love what he has accomplished, once in a Generation QB

Mallet- Too Early maybe great for future, the dude is 6’7″, he can look over his OL unlike many Current or Future QB in NFL.

He is not going to be traded anytime soon.

56. hobartbaker says: Aug 12, 2011 10:54 AM

What exactly is Kornpone Kolb’s pedigree? Guy has more years in the league than starts, more interceptions than touchdowns, and a losing record for a winning team. Plus he was a mid round draft choice, three rounds later than Brady Quinn and Vince Young.

57. holdthemayo123 says: Aug 12, 2011 10:57 AM

The Pats have been drafting QB’s they like for some time now – I don’t think it is anything more than them realizing you are always one snap away from losing your starting QB. They also realize there is always a market for good QB’s, so using a draft pick on one you think has an NFL future will probably end up being a good move.

58. richm2256 says: Aug 12, 2011 11:07 AM

@wiley16350;

Dude, you really need to take down that Bledsoe shrine you’ve got going.

Bledsoe was good, but mostly when he played for parcells, who had to build up his ego and confidence constantly. He had a great arm, but didn’t have the brain to go with it.

My everlasting impression of Drew Bledsoe is standing in the pocket way too long, looking for an open man, only to get crushed by a defender he didn’t see (or FEEL) coming because he was too focused on his fourth read.

You want to compliment him over Brady because Brady got sacked more in 2001 than Bledsoe did in his worst season, 2000? Dude, Brady was in his first year as a starter in 2001, Bledsoe was in his EIGHTH year in 2000.

The best comparison between the two? Try 2001, when they both played with the SAME OFFENSE. No contest, Brady was better.

Pat’s fans thank Bledsoe for helping turn this franchise around in the ’90s, but seriously, you need to get over this guy-crush you have for him over Tom Brady.

59. wiley16350 says: Aug 12, 2011 11:10 AM

I see my last post is getting a lot of thumbs down. Let me make it clear, i did not say that Bledsoe is better than Brady overall. Brady is more consistent, makes fewer mistakes and is better prepared mentally then Bledsoe, which makes Brady more effective and better than Bledsoe overall. However, Bledsoe’s flaws where not fatally bad. If he had played on better teams (like the Patriots teams of the last few years) he would have been more consistent and made less mistakes. And his mental game was good, but nowhere elite in terms of Brady and Manning. But very few QB’s are. But there are things that Bledsoe did that many QB’s can’t and don’t do. Throwing into tight coverage and throwing accurately (as long as he knew where to go with the pass) while under pressure (or getting hit) was among them. Brady moves well to avoid the rush but he does lose accuracy with people in his face or when getting hit (even when he knows where to throw the ball). Bledsoe was actually good at it, the only time he didn’t complete passes in those situations was when he couldn’t find an open reciver. But if he knew where he was throwing the ball he would throw strikes while under pressure, getting hit, into tight windows, it didn’t matter. He could be deadly accurate in any situation when he was sure of where he wanted to go with the ball. So when he didn’t succeed, it was when he couldn’t find open receivers and that could be on him, the scheme, the players around him or a variety of factors.

60. pftwstbshmc says: Aug 12, 2011 11:10 AM

wiley16350 & pfii63

You both wrote some good stuff there. As a Pats fan of 35 years (no not that old, just started young) I have to say that Bledsoe is the third best QB they have ever had. We KNOW who #1 is, but why does everyone forget about #2. Steve Grogan did more with less than any other QB in Patriots history. And Wiley, you talk about Bledsoe getting hit and still making a pass? Grogan was the best the game has ever seen doing that – he had to, the line didn’t give him the time Tom gets.

And I do agree that Bledsoe had the potential to be a VERY good QB. But everyone forgets about his injury in his 2nd or 3rd season (I forget which) when he blew out a knee, got scoped and was out for about two months. He was never the same after that. Before the injury he was very mobile and when the pocket collapsed he would run for yards or scramble to still make a pass. After the injury he turned into the nickname we fans gave him – “Cement Shoes”. That is what did him in. Did he have great knowledge of the game? Did he have a great arm? Could he read a defense well? The answer is “yes” for all of them, but that knee was his downfall.

So there is my two cents on that debate.

To present day – if Tom goes down for some reason, I don’t have a worry in the world. The Pats have two back-ups that could easily start for half of the teams out there today. Either can be the replacement for Tom when he hangs them up. But we all know that won’t happen any time soon….

61. polishrod says: Aug 12, 2011 11:25 AM

wiley16350 & pfii63

So there is my two cents on that debate.

———————–

This isn’t even CLOSE to objective.

Steve Grogan was the best the game has ever seen at completing passes while getting hit? Is that an actual stat…. Or just one you dreamt up in MoiseTatupa Land??

And the most assanine comment of all, your undrafted QB and a rookie QB that any team could have had multiple times in the draft, can start for 1/2 the teams in the NFL? How about the fact your RBs couldn’t even be 2nd string players for 1/2 the NFL? Or that you have ZERO pass rushers this year.

I think after that post, even your favorite priest won’t let you in the confession booth

62. wiley16350 says: Aug 12, 2011 11:38 AM

@richm2256

You seem angry at me cause you think I think Bledsoe is better than Brady. However, i never said that and I claimed that Brady is better overall. You need to read what I wrote. As far as the sack info I gave, it was to show that Bledsoe wasn’t the main reason for all the sacks. Yeah, Brady was young, but that 2001 team was much better than the 200o team. The 2001 team had a much better running game and they incorporated a lot more screens, short passes and trick plays because of Brady’s youth. And Brady was sacked at a higher rate then Bledsoe was at any point in his Patriot career. Bledsoe did have a brain, watch his early career with Parcells. He was one of the least sacked QB’s and they set a record for having like 5 receivers with 50 or more catches. He spread the ball around and got rid of it quickly. What changed was the offense relied on passes deeper downfield and had less checkdowns, which was all good until they had no running game and less talent at the receiver positions which made the type of offense they were running very hard to be effective. And Bledsoe was actually good in the first game of 2001 against the Bengals. The 2nd game against the Jets he was bad and that is the game I think most people remember and can’t get out of their heads. People also forget that the 2001 team had many new players and it took a little while for them to gel and thats why they started out 5-5. Once the defense took hold, the offense did a good job by keeping it close by not making mistakes and then either the offense or defense would make plays at the right time to win the games down the stretch. But you need to understand that I like Brady and Bledsoe. I would take Brady over Bledsoe, but I think Bledsoe takes too much abuse from people like you that act like he was worthless and was what was holding the team back.

63. pfii63 says: Aug 12, 2011 12:01 PM

pftwstbshmc –

Forget polishrod, that was a good post. I always struggle where to put Grogan, but I usually settle on #3 even if he is my sentimental favorite. He was the guy leading the team early in my following of the Patriots (been a fan since ’76 tho), and there was no question about the guy’s toughness. He did accomplish a lot with a little. I just think Bledsoe was more talented, even if he struggled some in big situations. What separates Brady from Bledsoe for me is his attitude… the ability to do what it takes to lead his team to victory in key situations. Even the Super Bowl we lost against the Giants… Brady led our team down the field to take the lead, and if not for two unlikely plays coming back the other way Brady is sitting at home with four crowns.

64. fthejets says: Aug 12, 2011 12:04 PM

The Dolphins can not find a QB (or they wont take chances on a talented QB) Whereas the Pats have better backups then what Miami has had since Marino (And the couple with Chad Pennington). As a Miami fan this is silly, beyond irratating since you see the Patriots backups perform better then our starter.

65. jpb12 says: Aug 12, 2011 12:35 PM

Mallett needs about three years as a backup to ‘grow up’.

Look at Aaron Rodgers. Hoyer is the trade bait next year. They’ll keep three on the roster this year.

Mallett is either Brady’s replacement or he’s going to be traded for a #1 draft pick to a team that needs a QB.

Pretty amazing that Belichick has two potential replacements while Polian… not so much.

66. pftwstbshmc says: Aug 12, 2011 12:43 PM

pfii63-

There you go…. what do we rate or put more value on, talent or heart? Can’t argue Drew had more talent, but Steve had more heart and desire. So depending on which side of the fence you want to be on, there is #2 & #3.

Got you beat by three years on being a fan, started being one in ’73 (I was just starting middle school – dont’ do the math….. if your birth year is the 63 on your handle, I’m a year older). So we have seen some really AWFUL football and some really GREAT football being Pats fans this long. We have had some good QB’s in that span, too bad they didn’t have the team around them or the coach to put it all together.

I salute you – GO PATRIOTS!

67. dlk47823 says: Aug 12, 2011 12:43 PM

Pats are truly the champions for August this year

68. kramelttil says: Aug 12, 2011 12:51 PM

Carolina will be the ones trying to trade for him when the Newton project is over.

69. 8man says: Aug 12, 2011 12:57 PM

The Patriots do a good job of finding young talent and grooming them into competent NFL QBs. If both Hoyer and Mallett work hard and learn, they will get their shots some day to lead a team. Not surprising that an organization with good, effective leadership can impart those same principles on their players.

Does that make Brady a system QB? Not solely. The kid was a starter at Michigan when they were good and won both his bowl games. So he did have poise, desire and some talent. Would he be who he is today anywhere else? No. Definitely not. Right guy, right system, right coach, right time. Done.

70. FinFan68 says: Aug 12, 2011 12:58 PM

Grogan was one of my favorite QBs back then. He was scrappy and he called his own plays. Bledsoe had huge potential (the dueling game with Marino was incredible) but his heart was questionable later on. Brady has skill and heart but he also took advantage of a great coaching scheme. That said, how about trading Mallett to the Dolphins for next year’s #2 and a decent player this year :)

71. gregjennings85 says: Aug 12, 2011 1:16 PM

gregjennings85 says:
    Feb 9, 2011 12:17 PM
    Off-field issues are big in today’s NFL, but if he lands in the right situation, he should be fine.

On pure talent alone, this kid is the best QB in the draft, easy.

The good lord only made so many 6’6″* 240 lb men that can hurl the pigskin like Mallet.

2 things: One – if a bad lockerroom team snaps him up, it could be terrible for him (looking at you, Cincy), and Two – he has all the talent in the world, but he needs to sit for at least a year and quicken his release, not to mention refine his delivery.

* – At the recent College All Star special, Mallet looked closer to 6’8″.
    __________________________________

gregjennings85 says:
    Feb 9, 2011 12:19 PM
    …and I know the kid from Auburn is huge as well, but he sure can’t throw the ball down the field with the same velocity and accuracy as Mallet.
    __________________________________

gregjennings85 says:
    Feb 28, 2011 11:10 AM
    I keep saying it: Best QB in the draft, and it’s not even close.
    __________________________________

When you step back, and look at Belichek’s history, at the point when Mallett is ready to start, Brady will be the one dealt. Book it.

72. pfii63 says: Aug 12, 2011 1:19 PM

pftwstbshmc -

Amen on the awful football…we had some lean years in there, didn’t we?Living in upstate NY during that time as a Pats fan was no picnic. Now I am in Illinois (pfii=patsfaninillinois) and love being the envy of the Bears fans out here.

The best day in our franchise was the day Robert Kraft bought it… so nice to have an owner committed to building such an outstanding organization.

A salute right back at you!

Go Pats!

73. richm2256 says: Aug 12, 2011 1:27 PM

Kudos to those bringing up Grogan’s name!

You want fan experience? I remember watching Babe Parrelli. I saw Jim Plunkett come and go, and suffered through Joe Kapp. I’ve seen my share of $hitty quarterbacks wearing Patriot’s gear.

Drew Bledsoe was talented, not saying he sucked. But his arm was clearly stronger than his brain, and yes, he didn’t get the name “Cement Shoes” for nothing.

Steve Grogan was Tom Brady-smart. If that guy had Drew Bledsoe’s arm, there would have been two or three Lombardi’s to greet Belichick when he came to town. Grogan played behind John Hannah, Leon Gray, Jon Morris, and threw at Russ Francis, Daryl Stingley, and a bunch of other solid receivers, and dude got the ball to them consistently, in incredibly tight spots, while calling his own plays – as someone else pointed out.

Through the late 70′s into the mid 80′s, Grogs was responsible for making the Patriots a very respected – and sometimes feared – team.

All you young (under 30) Patriots fans are missing something special by not checking out Steve Grogan. Drew Bledsoe could only carry Grog’s pads.

74. kevpft says: Aug 12, 2011 1:35 PM

Any NFL team would be lucky to have a string of QBs like Bledsoe, Brady, and Mallett. It’s a well-run team.

75. kissbillsrings says: Aug 12, 2011 2:14 PM

Hoyer will be delt…maybe this year….

Mallett will be developed for three years under Brady becoming his replacement & new face of the franchise

Brady will be traded(coming off a superbowl appearence) for a boat load of picks to help ensure the Patriots success while Mallett establishes himself as the next superestar QB…Bill does stuff like this….he’ll get 2-1sts, 3-2nds ,2-3rds 2-4ths(over a 4 year period) for Brady who will still be very good in a deal with a QB starved team probably from the west coast….

76. pfii63 says: Aug 12, 2011 2:32 PM

kissbillsrings -

I see where you are going, but think Brady will be more in the class of Troy Brown, Tedy Bruschi, and Kevin Faulk. He will retire a Patriot… I just think that retirement is going to take place while Mallett is behind him. This franchise has been fortunate to have only Bledsoe and Brady since 1993 (with the exception of 2008), and I expect this continuity to continue, whether it is with Hoyer or Mallett, though I strongly suspect it will be Mallett.

77. bozosforall says: Aug 12, 2011 2:44 PM

richm2256 says:
    Aug 12, 2011 1:27 PM
    Kudos to those bringing up Grogan’s name!

___
    Thanks for showing us how delusional you really are. I saw Grogs “The Original Human Bobblehead” play and while I actually liked the guy, he was nowhere in the same class as Bledsoe, who beats Grogan in every single passing category, including the all-important TD/INT ratio measurement. Pretending that Grogan would have won two or three Lombardis with Bledsoe’s arm is about as credible as pretending that if Doug Flutie would have been Grogan’s height that he would have won two or three Lombardis as well (no, he wouldn’t have).

Congrats on being the LONE Pats fan during the pre-2001 years though. Kinda crowded on that bandwagon nowadays though. Take heart though, you will soon have plenty of room once the Pats start sucking again like they did for most of their existance.

78. bozosforall says: Aug 12, 2011 3:14 PM

polishrod says:
    Aug 12, 2011 11:25 AM

__
    In Boston? Oh yes, he would.

79. habsman says: Aug 12, 2011 3:34 PM

@richmond 2256

Let me brag about my Pat’s pedigree as well.

My first game was Plunkett’s first game at the brand new Schaeffer stadium. The sad sack Pat’s opened the season vs. the Super champion Raiders. Low and behold they won! I was fifteen and remember it well. The new stadium (I thought it was great) couldn’t handle the amount of visitor to the washrooms, and most of the level we were seated in was flooded. I also remember Plunkett connecting with Randy Vatahah, his old Stanford wide out on a couple of occasions. Anyway, been a Pats fan forever. Grogan will always be my favorite Patriot. One of the greatest rushing QB’s ever.

80. brohamma says: Aug 12, 2011 3:36 PM

@ Wiley

Ok, good points.. Bledsoe had his good moments, however, you forgot to mention the one “moment” that would make all New England fans cringe!

The patented “Bledsoe Backfoot Floater.” (And I’m not talking about the the floater that won’t go down no matter how many times you flush)

The guy helped turn things around, no question. But seriously… that weekly “throw it up for grabs” thing had me thinking he was getting some side action from the local cardiac group.

81. rc33 says: Aug 12, 2011 4:32 PM

I mean, anything is possible; Wayne Gretzky and Joe Montana were both dealt at the end of their careers.
    But I have a hard time believing they’ll trade Brady….ever.
    He has meant waaaay too much to a team that had a nothing history before he took the field.

Agree with the statement that the best day in Patriot history was when Bob Kraft finalized his purchase of the team.
    I also recall all the flack he received for agreeing to trade a 1st round pick for a Head Coach that had failed miserably in Cleveland.

82. axespray says: Aug 12, 2011 7:04 PM

kom2k10 says:Aug 12, 2011 10:17 AM
    “This is just further proof that Brady is a system quarterback…”

Kinda agree tbh, not to rip on Brady cause he’s smart and pretty accurate and a great team leader, but I mean Matt Cassel lit it up as New England’s Backup during 08, Hoyer is alright and Ryan did alright….

Plus, The Patriot’s offense lately has been Check Down/conservative yards after the catch …. efficient and what not.

You don’t see anyone else’s backups lighting it up for 40 plus points.

83. TheWizard says: Aug 12, 2011 11:53 PM

once the Pats start sucking again like they did for most of their existance

Had teams reach the Super Bowl in 80′s – 90′s – 00′s

Good contenders in the late 70′s

Not quite as bad as all the revisionist history.

84. pypersrealm says: Aug 13, 2011 12:19 AM

I’ve been a die-hard Patriots fan since 1985. Here’s my take.

Brady vs Bledsoe

PASSION: Big edge Brady.
    Bledsoe always maintained that football was what he did, not who he was. Brady’s the opposite. Brady has commented on numerous times that there’s nothing he’d rather do than play football and he’ll continue to do so for as long as he possibly can. If you have any doubts go watch Brady screaming like a crazy person in the tunnel prior to Super Bowl XXXVI against the Rams or read about how he cried in the locker room after last season’s loss to the Jets. You don’t do that unless you care deeply. It’s not just the glory that he loves either. He’s made numerous comments about loving practice and training camp b/c of the camaraderie it creates. He loves being part of a team b/c there is no individual success…..all success is shared.

Work Ethic: Big edge Brady.
    Bledsoe had all the physical tools to be one of the best but he never had the work ethic b/c as I mentioned above, he was never all that passionate about the game. It was simply his job…..It didn’t flow through his veins. Brady is the opposite. Brady has never had anything handed to him…..He’s fought for everything he’s earned. As a Junior in high school, he was the backup QB on a team that lost every single game. Then he got snubbed by all the big schools in his home state. Then he got jobbed by politics at Michigan, not once but twice. First it was competing against Bob Griese’s kid and then against a kid labeled the best QB prospect in the nation….”A can’t miss propspect”. Brady is what he is b/c he had to fight and claw for everything.
    He’s driven to prove all those naysayers wrong.

Decision Making: Big edge Brady.
    Do I even need to write anything here?

Footwork: Big edge Brady.
    See Decision making.

Accuracy: Big edge Brady
    See decision making.

Arm Strength: Slight edge Bledsoe
    Both QB’s throw lasers but Brady’s ball tends to be the result of superior technique, as opposed to raw arm strength. The tightness (and beauty) of Brady’s spiral is something I’m surprised more don’t talk about, although I have heard Jaws and Steve Young refer to it as the best spiral in the league. Anyhow, Brady’s ball has a lot to do with his footwork. When he steps into his throw , nobody throws it any better. But Bledsoe could throw off his back foot better (not counting all the resulting interceptions, of course).

Summary:

Bledsoe was a talented QB. I tend to think he was ruined by Ben Coates. Coates had extremely large (and soft) hands that enabled him to make impossible catches. Bledsoe, unfortunately, began to rely on Coates to bail him out whenever he couldn’t find an open man. He’d throw the ball to Coates and Big Ben would come up with the ball even when he was triple covered and interfered with. When Big Ben’s skills declined, those completions that Bledsoe came to rely on turned to incompletions or interceptions. Bledsoe never adjusted.

Brady’s accomplishments speak for themselves. He took over a team that had lost 19 of the previous 26 games before he got there and he helped turn them into a dynasty. He started out on a tight leash, as all well coached young QB’s are and grew to become a legend and arguably the greatest QB of all time.

85. beantownbeastoftheeast says: Aug 13, 2011 3:31 AM

For the fans saying Brady Quinn had a good game and got no love and the analyst’s are on the Patriots bandwagon….CHILD PLEASE.
    -It’s Quinn 4th year..not much to say.
    - It’s Mallet’s 1st half of an NFL game(impressive)
    -I know it’s preseason but Mallet didn’t make any key mistakes(Int’s) for a rookie.
    -He was working with 2nd, 3rd, and 4th stringers and dominating.
    -Dude got a big chip on a shoulder(Like Brady 6th rd pick, Cassel 7th rd;never played a game since High School, and Hoyer undrafted..whos draft stock is going ^)

86. beantownbeastoftheeast says: Aug 13, 2011 3:33 AM

Srry..I meant TRADE stock* on Hoyer.

87. bullcharger says: Aug 13, 2011 10:50 AM

How to get hundreds of comments about your article:

Step 1: Say that a backup could replace Brady in 2012.

Step 2: Say some fans still think Bledsoe is better than Brady.

Step 3: Sit back and watch.

88. bozosforall says: Aug 15, 2011 8:50 PM

TheWizard says:
    Aug 12, 2011 11:53 PM
    once the Pats start sucking again like they did for most of their existance

Had teams reach the Super Bowl in 80′s – 90′s – 00′s

Good contenders in the late 70′s

Not quite as bad as all the revisionist history.

___
    280-323, pre-2001 (Spygate years) for a whopping .464 “winning” percentage. Compare this to the .460 winning percentage of the Jets that so many Pats fans are criticizing the Jets for and what anyone with any sense can see is that Pats fans here are as delusional as they come.