Kubiak says Leinart has the “It” factor

Matt Leinart AP

Texans backup quarterback Matt Leinart says he still wants to be a starter.  Texans coach Gary Kubiak apparently thinks that it will happen.

“First off, I think he’s a leader,” Kubiak said Saturday, via comments distributed by the team.  “He’s got that ‘It’ factor that people seem to gravitate to.”

(OK, please stop laughing.  It makes it harder for you to spot our typos.)

“I know what he’s going through as a quarterback,” Kubiak said.  “I’ve had some that have been through that process before.  It’s tough to be successful in this league but I watched his confidence come back last year and I watched how our team reacted when he would go in when Matt [Schaub] missed a little time or something, he would go and practice or do whatever; they never wavered and I see that going on in practice right now.  It’s fun, I hope he gets his career going again and plays 10 or 12 years and comes back as a starter.  That’s what we all want for him.”

Kubiak said that Leinart will play a lot on Monday night against the Jets.  There’s a chance Leinart will play a lot during the regular season, too.  In 2007 and 2008, Schaub missed a total of 10 games due to injury.  He’s currently riding a 64-game starting streak.  So either he’s gotten unexpectedly durable, or lucky.

Then there’s the fact that owner Bob McNair has made it clear that it’s playoffs or else for the Texans.  And so, if the Texans get off to a slow start and if, as part of that slow start, Schaub, struggles, Kubiak may need Leinart to help save the coach’s job.

Permalink 58 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Houston Texans, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
58 Responses to “Kubiak says Leinart has the “It” factor”
  1. drgfri says: Aug 13, 2011 4:59 PM

I think he forgot the “sh” on the front of that declaration….

2. jethro007 says: Aug 13, 2011 5:05 PM

Too bad he has a limp noodle for a right arm.

3. senordickhaus says: Aug 13, 2011 5:06 PM

Relying on Matt Leinart to save your head coaching gig in any capacity guarantees that Kubes will be unemployed by the 2012 season.

4. tommyf15 says: Aug 13, 2011 5:06 PM

Lienart is one of the best college QBs I’ve ever seen, and I remain shocked that he’s bombed so badly in the NFL.

Who knows, maybe he’ll be a late bloomer like Vinny Testaverde.

5. joshborden says: Aug 13, 2011 5:06 PM

Yeah the I.T. factor, Interception Thrower….

6. egls7 says: Aug 13, 2011 5:08 PM

Yeah the “dang it” factor

7. tdk24 says: Aug 13, 2011 5:08 PM

And that explains why they haven’t been very good.

8. realdraftgm says: Aug 13, 2011 5:09 PM

Leinert was never a hard enough worker in his first job and in the nfl you will not succeed with a bad work ethic unless you had Vick’s talent which Leinert does not now Vick works hard and you see the difference. Maybe Leinert starts working hard who knows it is just hard for me to believe as soon as he gets somewhere that he won’t go back to thinking he is a diva and playing Mr. Hollywood news flash you are not Joe Namath and even though he was Mr. Broadway he still put in the work unlike you Leinert. If you really wanted to compete you would of gone back to Seattle but you were scared. Say what you want Kubiak but usually when a coach is doing this it is because the player and the team do not believe in the guy so he is trying to make Leinert feel like he is good and pray the team follows him if Schab gets hurt.

9. realitypolice says: Aug 13, 2011 5:10 PM

The simple translation of that whole exchange:

Hey! Anybody desperate for a QB? I’ve a got a “great” one you could have that should be starting for sure!!

And you can have him cheap!

10. sieg1234 says: Aug 13, 2011 5:11 PM

Has Kubiak ever watched Leinart in a regular season game, even if it was just tape? Or did he go to youtube and look up “Matt Leinart highlights” and see the 8 good passes he’s made in his career? Or maybe he got a college highlight tape and wasn’t paying enough attention to notice. Matt Leinart is a TERRIBLE NFL QB, just terrible. He cares more about partying than football, and I can’t blame him – he gets an A in my book for his lifestyle – but he’s not a genuine NFL QB.

11. mikebyrne1502 says: Aug 13, 2011 5:15 PM

Must be wowed by his HOLLYWOOD persona.

12. wilddeuce03 says: Aug 13, 2011 5:19 PM

jethro007 says: Aug 13, 2011 5:05 PM

Too bad he has a limp noodle for a right arm.
    ______________________________________

Doesn’t really matter since Leinart is a lefty.

13. Ralphie says: Aug 13, 2011 5:20 PM

I don’t think so. The only living male on this earth with the “It factor” is Nature Boy Ric Flair.

14. My Last Victim Escaped says: Aug 13, 2011 5:21 PM

Keep talkin like that, Kubiak… and they’ll start random drug tests on coaches.

15. thingamajig says: Aug 13, 2011 5:21 PM

jethro007 says:
    Aug 13, 2011 5:05 PM
    Too bad he has a limp noodle for a right arm.

Thats probably why he throws with his left arm, but it’s pretty much the same as his right arm.

16. jimmysee says: Aug 13, 2011 5:22 PM

Matt Leinert.

To know him is not to love him.

17. gdeli says: Aug 13, 2011 5:23 PM

First you say sh..he’s gonna blow it. Then the **it factor comes in like the first responder said. ha

18. philwauke says: Aug 13, 2011 5:24 PM

Kubiak then went on to say what “it” is we aren’t sure.

19. steelcurtainn says: Aug 13, 2011 5:24 PM

Kubiak should be doing Comedy Central instead of head coaching if he thinks leinart has the “it factor. Now thats funny.

20. alonestartexan says: Aug 13, 2011 5:30 PM

I laugh at the people that said he’s depending on Leinart to save his job…

I forgot how most coaches depend on the backup for that… esp. when they have an All-Pro starter..

21. thegonz13 says: Aug 13, 2011 5:32 PM

Memo to Kubiak… “it” = failure

22. darthobama says: Aug 13, 2011 5:35 PM

This article is complete nonsense…no one in the entire city of houston believes that shaub could get off to a slow start…much less that matt leinart would be called on to save the day…complete garbage…what a joke

23. jethro007 says: Aug 13, 2011 5:40 PM

Okay, left limp noodle. Haven’t seen him play for a long time–thankfully.

24. jacksaysfu says: Aug 13, 2011 5:46 PM

Matt Leinert is a amazing teammate
    . Who do you think gets all those hot girls to the after hours club after a victory? The answer is Matt Leinert!
    I’ve seen this guys games and if he becomes a star in the NFL, Then my dumb a$$ will be Americas next president. My first action as prez will be to outlaw anyone from carrying that bum Roy William’s pads, that would be fun. . Step your game up Matt cause I’m day dreaming now!!

Man, I’ll never be prez. Matt and I are now enemies..

25. dgforreal says: Aug 13, 2011 5:51 PM

I think he forgot the “sh” on the front of that declaration….

Annnnnd boom goes the dynamite.

26. jetsetfred says: Aug 13, 2011 6:03 PM

I lived in L.A. in 06 and went to the USC Proday and met Kubiak… He was really cool.. he was sitting down on the field and just studying Lienhart… He had been on his BandWagon Since Day One! I’m orig from Houston so I was so excited to meet him, felt like a Circus at that proday.. If he had it his way.. I think he would have took Lienhart #1…

27. txtuff says: Aug 13, 2011 6:03 PM

Could this story of ended with a bigger stretch to say Schaub could be replaced because of the team having a slow start. Now I know Schaib hasn’t had the big wins but how can anybody that has watch the NFL the last couple of years think that Schaub is the reason for the Texans win-lose record!

28. iamgoodkid says: Aug 13, 2011 6:04 PM

come on bears

29. macker1283 says: Aug 13, 2011 6:08 PM

Its funny, JaMarcus Russell had a better pro season in 2008 than Leinart has ever had, yet hes been out of the league for 2 years, and theres Leinart still getting chance after chance. I don’t get it, but whatever. Just goes to show you how far notoriety can get you. The fact that Leinart was basically a celebrity for three years at USC, so much so that he didn’t even feel the need to enter the NFL even AFTER he graduated, keeps him in the league today.

30. jsrdc says: Aug 13, 2011 6:10 PM

@Txtuff,

How could anybody that has watched the NFL the last couple of years thing that Romo is the reason for the Cowboys W/L record?

It is those haters that feel that way, that ignore the stats and the facts. If Leinart has “it”, Schaub would have been the backup last year.

Leinart pretty much sucks, and if he didn’t, he would be starting somewhere. Schaub will be the starter for this team, and Leinart will fill in as needed.

31. db3300 says: Aug 13, 2011 6:11 PM

“Who do you think gets all those hot girls to the after hours club after a victory? ”

If a bunch of millionaire athletes need Leinhart to get girls for them, they must be doing something wrong.

32. southridge23 says: Aug 13, 2011 6:12 PM

Coming from a coach who’s led the “team on the brink of the playoffs” for 4 years running now resulting in epic failure after another….this sounds about right

33. ajtexans says: Aug 13, 2011 6:24 PM

fwiw, Schaub’s had three injuries that led to those missed games and two were because of illegal hits.
    1) by Drayton Florence (concussion) on an illegal blindside block on an interception return. Florence was fined by the league, 2) by Jared Allen (sprained MCL) when Allen went low on Schaub. Allen was fined by the league, and 3) sack by Antwaun Odom – shoulder dislocation – clean hit.

34. senordickhaus says: Aug 13, 2011 6:37 PM

macker1283 says:
    Aug 13, 2011 6:08 PM

————

No, moron. It’s not notoriety. It’s the fact that JaMarcus the Hutt was and is a moron. Leinart has kept himself relatively quiet since coming into the NFL compared to that fat, lazy sizzurp drinking moron named JaMarcus Russell. You should pay more attention and educate yourself before you comment.

35. denverdave3 says: Aug 13, 2011 6:39 PM

This is near record-setting good news. If Leinart has “it” then maybe there’s great hope for our third teamer. Brady Quinn

36. rboyett says: Aug 13, 2011 6:46 PM

Kubiak’s words show he has no business being a head coach in the NFL.

37. bhester1906 says: Aug 13, 2011 6:52 PM

Ya reaching at the end there…

38. whatwouldlombardido says: Aug 13, 2011 6:56 PM

“Kubiak may need Leinart to help save the coach’s job.”
    BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

39. bleed4philly says: Aug 13, 2011 7:00 PM

He should’ve gone to Seattle

40. thegonz13 says: Aug 13, 2011 7:18 PM

Any guy who can’t beat Dan Orlovsky for a backup job doesn’t deserve to be gainfully employed in the NFL.

Another USC overhyped fail…

41. thefiesty1 says: Aug 13, 2011 7:22 PM

Yes, but what is IT? It’s still the Texans shooting for 8-8 or 9-7 year in and year out.

42. texanfan62 says: Aug 13, 2011 7:24 PM

This is WHY the Texans WON’T make the playoffs. EVER!!!!

43. trollhammer20 says: Aug 13, 2011 7:25 PM

He has “it”, if by “it” you mean “no desire to actually compete for a starting job”.

He willfully chose to ride the pine and be a backup in Houston. He had an opportunity to go into Seattle and put himself into competition with Jackson and Whitehurst, but he balked because he knows Carroll isn’t handing out favors to his old players (see Lendale White and Lofa Tatupu for examples), he’s making them earn what they can get.

I’m glad he hasn’t come to Seattle. Josh Portis has a lot more mobility, a lot more arm, and a much better chance of becoming something in this league someday.

44. bdawkhit20 says: Aug 13, 2011 7:25 PM

Vince Young has accomplished more in the NFL than Matt, and he’s on the scrap heap. they should make a documentary about these two qb’s who competed against each other in the National Champ Game about their NFL careers of ultimate underachievement.

45. oxnardcalif says: Aug 13, 2011 7:29 PM

If “IT” means a helluva check down passer…You are correct Kubiak…Otherwise, the cement for feet and the lack of any deep ball not to mention a whining baby prevents him from being a starting QB.

46. dirtdawg55 says: Aug 13, 2011 7:33 PM

Pretty sure Kubiak meant Leinart has the “ick” factor.

47. pencepost says: Aug 13, 2011 7:51 PM

Dear other NFL Teams,

Please make us an offer for Matt Leinart. Forget what you’ve seen of him already. He’s got the “it” factor. Trust me. Just please, make us an offer.

Signed,
    Kubiak

48. tatum064 says: Aug 13, 2011 8:01 PM

wilddeuce03 says:
    Aug 13, 2011 5:19 PM
    jethro007 says: Aug 13, 2011 5:05 PM

Too bad he has a limp noodle for a right arm.
    ______________________________________

Doesn’t really matter since Leinart is a lefty.
    =====================

LMAO!!!! I love it when an attempt to be glib BACKFIRES horribly!!!!!

Sheds some needed irony….especially with all these pro-player personnel type replies on Leinart.

He had a career ALL OF YOU NEVER had. So what if he didnt make it – he was Mr. It at SoCal for years. Nobody on this thread was all-city H.S. Prep or anything…. Who the hell wishes wrong on anybody is beyond me.

I’m seeing some pathetic HATERS. Leinart, could put in work ethic, and actually make it as a career back-up.

49. tatum064 says: Aug 13, 2011 8:02 PM

bdawkhit20 says:
    Aug 13, 2011 7:25 PM
    ===========================
    Hey..WHAT THE HELL DID YOU do in College Football….or high school football for that matter?!

50. titletowneric says: Aug 13, 2011 8:14 PM

Coach Shanny says the same thing about John Beck. I think they’re both wrong.

51. MichaelEdits says: Aug 13, 2011 8:15 PM

Oh sure, Leinart can start for my team any time. Oh wait, what, he’s not Kubiak’s starter? Hmm.

52. ahgeez says: Aug 13, 2011 9:39 PM

Schaub is pretty good.. Almost sure that he won’t be the problem if their losing..

53. opie333 says: Aug 13, 2011 9:51 PM

I’m not a huge Leinart fan but Ive got to respect his decision not to go to Seattle with his old coach! I think its great showing some respect to the team that gave him a shot after Arizona. I think he’s growing up!

54. Mr. Wright 212 says: Aug 13, 2011 10:07 PM

Oh yeah? How many backbreaking game ending INTs did he throw last year lmfao? Schaub is a hack.

55. warner2fitz says: Aug 13, 2011 10:18 PM

Wiz & 2 shoulder injuries beat the confidence out of Leinart in Az…he never believed in him! Matt had a pretty solid rookie season setting the rookie record for passing yds & a great game against the Bears in which he should’ve won. I don’t think he just magically forgot how to be a good QB. I believe at some point of his career he will prove on the field he’s still pretty talented!

56. macker1283 says: Aug 13, 2011 11:21 PM

Seriously, I got 8 thumbs compared to 2 thumbs up(1 if you take into mind I gave myself a thumbs up) down for saying Leinart has done crap in his career. Jeez, i didn’t know there were so many Leinart fans in the country.

57. heimerz says: Aug 13, 2011 11:59 PM

He has the I’m gonna go take a **it factor.

58. hoopersx says: Aug 14, 2011 1:28 AM

Nice!! I post a comment pointing out the FACT that PFT will, at every opportunity, slam the second-string quarterback of the Houston Texans…… And guess what PFT does? They delete the comment.

Cowards.

Leinart is a BACKUP quarterback. Is it such a horrible thing to see the guy maybe make good or did he steal one of your girlfriends/wives at some point and that’s why you take every chance you get to slam him and delete comments critical of your Leinart coverage.

I have my doubts he will ever be a NFL starter but whenever his name is mentioned, do you really need to pile on?

Actually, don’t answer that, we already know the answer.