Packers’ Desmond Bishop forgets ID, misses White House visit

Desmond Bishop AP

The Green Bay Packers visited the White House Friday to be honored for winning the Super Bowl. But one player couldn’t get in.

Packers linebacker Desmond Bishop didn’t have proper photo identification and couldn’t get through security to get to the meeting with President Obama. He wrote on Twitter that he had left his ID on the team plane.

“I forgot my id on plane so won’t get access to see @barackobama,” Bishop wrote.

Although Bishop surely could have had all his teammates vouch for him that he was in fact Desmond Bishop of the Green Bay Packers, that apparently wouldn’t be enough for the Secret Service.

Bishop said that since he couldn’t get in to the White House he’d just return to the team plane and get some sleep.

“Tho dissapointed, I’ll live vicariously thru my fellow Teammates,” Bishop wrote at around the time those teammates were shaking hands with the president. “Nap time.”

Permalink 111 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Green Bay Packers, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
111 Responses to “Packers’ Desmond Bishop forgets ID, misses White House visit”
  1. mataug says: Aug 13, 2011 1:35 AM

cmon Obama, help a brother

2. YouMadCauseImStylingOnYou says: Aug 13, 2011 1:36 AM

Does the White House not have access to Google Images?

3. hobbsterp says: Aug 13, 2011 1:47 AM

Maybe next time mommy will pin it to his shirt.

4. raiderfan2412 says: Aug 13, 2011 1:47 AM

What a chump. You’re going to the white house, You should know these things.

5. depotnator says: Aug 13, 2011 1:49 AM

Nice security by the Packers to ensure all team members had proper credentials as players entered transportation to the White House. Does it occur to Bishop not to embarrass himself and the Packers on Twitter?

6. sterlingrodgers says: Aug 13, 2011 1:52 AM

It’s O.K. Desmond. I’m sure you won’t forget your ID next year.

7. mad5555 says: Aug 13, 2011 1:55 AM

WHAT A DUMBASS!!!
    HAHAHA
    Karma’s a Itch…

8. MichaelEdits says: Aug 13, 2011 1:55 AM

Y’all are gonna have to tell me how to react to this one.

9. mad5555 says: Aug 13, 2011 1:56 AM

Wow, Let me ask this question…

10. cusoman says: Aug 13, 2011 1:58 AM

YouMadCauseImStylingOnYou says:
    Aug 13, 2011 1:36 AM
    Does the White House not have access to Google Images?

————–

The law’s the law. Do you really think they’re going to let this pass just because this dude is part of some sports team? In the grand scheme of things, Desmond Bishop is not that important.

11. hedleykow says: Aug 13, 2011 1:59 AM

His picture on his photo id looks a lot more like him than he looks in person.

12. possiblecabbage says: Aug 13, 2011 2:00 AM

And thus the Secret Service thwarted the most bizarrely complicated terrorist plot in history.

13. mississippibred says: Aug 13, 2011 2:10 AM

@YoumadcauseimstylingOnYou

why is it their problem to fix, he’s the one that forgot his ID

14. cardmagnet says: Aug 13, 2011 2:10 AM

Shaquille O’Neal can’t get in even with ID lol.

15. truthserum4u says: Aug 13, 2011 2:13 AM

Seriously??

What? The Packers are going to try and sneak in someone in his place?

Check out a couple of sports web sites that provide photos with the player’s stats and you pretty much know if he’s your man.

I know people assume the Packers will win the Super Bowl again but that assumption has been incorrectly made for many teams. This may be his only chance to meet the Pres.

Ridiculous!!

16. duncanthecat says: Aug 13, 2011 2:19 AM

Vote TeaParty and in one fell swoop get a new president and can the security guard under the auspice of lowering our expenses.

Looks like a win win…

17. wiscnsnpatfan says: Aug 13, 2011 2:20 AM

His fault, obviously, but THAT SUCKS!

18. axespray says: Aug 13, 2011 2:21 AM

Did Bishop have to Tell them that he’s not Castor Troy?

(face/off reference for the win)

19. dugganmt says: Aug 13, 2011 2:22 AM

Logic doesn’t always suffice in the human world.

20. sportingone says: Aug 13, 2011 2:30 AM

C’mon! I worked Air Force Intel for 20 years. We could get someone onto our operations floor on personal recognition. Secret Service must still have sand in their collective vag over the Salahi incident.

21. sdboltaction says: Aug 13, 2011 2:35 AM

I’d rather sleep on the plane, too. Screw obummer.

22. patfic15 says: Aug 13, 2011 2:39 AM

Its cool, bro. You dont need legitimate ID to get into the White House!

23. eagleseagleseagles says: Aug 13, 2011 2:39 AM

Maybe Desmond Bishop pointed out to Obama that his healthcare and debt plan were terrible and Obama just shut the door on him….

24. barneysbullet says: Aug 13, 2011 2:40 AM

You gotta be KIDDIN me… Me thinks the W/H has bigger frish to fy than keeping Bishop out.

Oh yeah, I forgot…why would they start using common sense now, already. EPIC FAIL.

25. dugganmt says: Aug 13, 2011 2:46 AM

I completely understand the “secret” service’s stance that since he didn’t have a license he cannot be allowed in but when it is painfully obvious that someone should be allowed in it is just a failure in intelligence. And when I say intelligence I don’t mean investigation I mean pure “smarts”. Really was it not safe to let this specific person in. I lose respect for people and organizations when they can’t make daily decisions that are both fluid and sound.

FAIL.

26. billucf96 says: Aug 13, 2011 2:50 AM

Bishop is listed as 6′ 2” 238 lbs and every terrorist I’ve ever seen runs about 5′ 5” and 105 lbs. Apply a little common sense and let the man see the pres.

27. bearsrulepackdrool says: Aug 13, 2011 2:50 AM

You big dummy!

28. scudbot says: Aug 13, 2011 2:50 AM

The complete Tweet was Just found some extra motivation tweeples. I forgot my id on plane so won’t get access to see @barackobama .. This time! But next year ;) Tho dissapointed, i ll live vicariously thru my fellow Teammates.. Nap time.. As jack reacher wud say “sleep wen u can..” I hope Desmond takes it out on Cutler.

29. bearsrulepackdrool says: Aug 13, 2011 2:51 AM

Obama should’ve banned the whole team.

30. icomehereforthecomments says: Aug 13, 2011 2:57 AM

You’d think a super bowl ring, or I dunno, being on the team plane itself would suffice, but guess not, that kinda sucks for Desmond

31. dannomac21 says: Aug 13, 2011 3:22 AM

no worries…he’ll be there again next year

32. goodmengoodwill says: Aug 13, 2011 3:25 AM

They have ‘facial recognition’ at every airport and casino but not at the White house?! This country is in serious decline.

33. hamdiggitty says: Aug 13, 2011 3:30 AM

Oh…now the Secret Service wants to check ID to see if you are who you say you are. Didn’t a couple (a while back) get by the same security.

34. tepiii3 says: Aug 13, 2011 3:32 AM

If Obama’s press secretary has any intelligence he would set up a private meeting.

35. shadowgm1 says: Aug 13, 2011 3:33 AM

Oh well, he’ll be sure to remember the ID when getting off the team plane in Washington next year. ;)

I just jinxed them, didn’t I…

36. trbowman says: Aug 13, 2011 3:51 AM

Worst tradition in sports.

37. ilovefoolsball says: Aug 13, 2011 3:55 AM

Really? He couldn’t get a runner to go get his ID?

38. pftequalsgreatjournalism says: Aug 13, 2011 3:59 AM

You dummy…

39. tnttaxi says: Aug 13, 2011 3:59 AM

He’s not a 2nd grader. Good for the Secret Service. No I.D., no get in. Simple as that. security at the White House is top notch, I hope. I suppose they were told this. An adult would have had an i.d., guess he’s got the intelligence/common sense of a 2nd grader.

40. rwjk says: Aug 13, 2011 4:01 AM

pittsburgh sucks

41. rwjk says: Aug 13, 2011 4:02 AM

the city of pittsburgh smells like a broken garbage disposal

42. bzeller says: Aug 13, 2011 4:06 AM

Typical packer….. Thinks he’s all that……what a joke

43. drgfri says: Aug 13, 2011 4:23 AM

At least it was his ID he forgot and not just his Grill like Chris Johnson…. That guy has priority issues!

44. bigfranky75 says: Aug 13, 2011 4:32 AM

Honestly… what a joke. Thats an example of blindly following policy when common sense should trump. Give me a break…. that doesnt make the President more safe or secure. Foolishness.

45. rawgator06 says: Aug 13, 2011 4:41 AM

How stupid do you have to be to leave your ID on the plane when you are meeting the President??

46. schemefactory says: Aug 13, 2011 4:51 AM

he should’ve tattooed it on his neck. sam sheilds would’ve gotten in without id.

47. freedomispopular says: Aug 13, 2011 5:20 AM

Yet they lambast Arizona for requiring immigrants to have proper identification at all times.

48. scaryjoe says: Aug 13, 2011 5:44 AM

Dumb A$$

49. joetoronto says: Aug 13, 2011 5:53 AM

Ya, that’s it, keep sleeping.

Urgh.

50. bzeller says: Aug 13, 2011 6:02 AM

Typical Packer…. Thinks he’s all that…… What a joke !

51. pack4gop says: Aug 13, 2011 6:49 AM

I’d rather meet the airplane chair than Obama too…

52. hank10 says: Aug 13, 2011 6:53 AM

How would he be able to get through airport security to get back onto the team plane?

53. heywoodjablome says: Aug 13, 2011 7:04 AM

The name is Dumas

54. drybass says: Aug 13, 2011 7:07 AM

You would think Obama would understand considering he doesn’t have the proper ID either.

55. hooks024 says: Aug 13, 2011 7:09 AM

56. wryly1 says: Aug 13, 2011 7:15 AM

hey, YouMadCauseImStylingOnYou :

It’s not up to the WH to prove Bishop’s identity – that’s on him. Further, I’d be willing to bet Packers staff told the players repeatedly, in no uncertain terms, they’d have to produce ID – just like any other citizen wanting access to the Prez. Nope, the Secret Service does not have a ‘bonehead’ exemption for Desmond Bishop

57. dissapointmentprone says: Aug 13, 2011 7:19 AM

What a rube

58. NFLJunkie says: Aug 13, 2011 7:31 AM

Dear Desmond,

The Secret Service being such party poopers about that “No I.D? No entrance. NO EXCEPTIONS!” stuff is probably our fault. Sorry about that.

The Salahis

59. spacincasen says: Aug 13, 2011 7:53 AM

I’m embarrassed when I get to the bar before realizing I forgot my ID. When meeting the PRESIDENT??? You have to believe that any responsible person would make sure they have their $#!+ together before being presented with an opportunity like that.

whether you like Obama or not, that’s not the issue– having the honor of meeting somebody held in such high regard around the world would be a humbling experience, regardless of your personal feelings towards him.

signed: somebody who does not support Obama.

60. hooks024 says: Aug 13, 2011 7:56 AM

@axespray- it’s a lame, unfunny joke if you have to explain it. Especially if it’s a bad john travolta movie reference

@barneysbullet- what exactly makes this epic? Its him being a fool. Far from epic. Also, I believe you mean “failure,” not “fail.” Learn how to use the english language, and grab a dictionary before you post your verbal diarrhea.

61. vahawker says: Aug 13, 2011 8:04 AM

Maybe he didn’t really want to meet The Bummer and this was his way of getting out of it without having to refuse the invite.

62. Matt-NC says: Aug 13, 2011 8:05 AM

Man… as a Packer fan that’s embarrassing. Even if it’s meaningless to you, you don’t act so casual so it puts a mark on the team.

Something tells me Bishop is pretending to care less than he actually does.

I did not vote for Obama and I won’t vote for him in the next election. When I was in the military, I wasn’t a big fan of Clinton either. But I respected the office he held and what it means to our country.

I’d never pass up the chance to shake the Presidents hand and/or visit the White House.

63. therealsmiley says: Aug 13, 2011 8:32 AM

That sucks!! You don’t get to shake hands with The President without proper ID dude!! Hail!!

64. vdaigglesfan says: Aug 13, 2011 8:40 AM

dugganmt says:
    Aug 13, 2011 2:46 AM
    ___________________________________

For everyone’s safety, I pray you are responsible for nothing more than a paper route.

65. wacco4flacco says: Aug 13, 2011 8:44 AM

I agree, it would have been very easy for the secret service to realize this really was Bishop, but if they let him in because of that without his I.D. the story from the story would have been that the white house treated an NFL player differently than your average American … cause I know for darn sure you or I aren’t walking into the white house without our I.D.’s.

66. packattack1967 says: Aug 13, 2011 8:53 AM

Should have had his bubble gum card

67. Derty Ernie says: Aug 13, 2011 8:57 AM

KInd of ironic since word is top union organizers just walk right in daily to see the prez.

Seriously who said the secret service were intellegent enough to figure this stuff out.

68. aldavisisthenfl says: Aug 13, 2011 9:01 AM

Maybe when he went back to the team plane to take a nap, he should have just retreived his ID and headed back to the White House?

69. FoozieGrooler says: Aug 13, 2011 9:02 AM

hooks024 says: Aug 13, 2011 7:09 AM

“Good for secret service. Shows that no matter who you are, that we live in a society of rules, and that they must be followed.”

The government loves you.
    / I bet that ring in your nose hurts, huh?

70. favreblows says: Aug 13, 2011 9:06 AM

The dude pulled a Hargis.

71. scudbot says: Aug 13, 2011 9:20 AM

So Bishop missed this year’s shot at attending a dog and pony show with the guy who had to have his staff stab Rodgers by issuing a “clarification” after he stabbed Cutler. “The President understands the value of having a reliable backup quarterback — and (Rodgers as a No. 2 behind Cutler) would make it more likely that he could greet the Bears at a similar ceremony at the White House next year.” In retrospect the extra sleep was probably more worthwhile.

72. vetdana says: Aug 13, 2011 9:34 AM

As fanatic football fans, we cultivate a false since of importance for our football teams and their heroes, whom we worship. The fact is….in the total scheme of things…they mean next to NOTHING !!!

73. merc13 says: Aug 13, 2011 9:35 AM

Sorry Desmond you can’t enjoy some fried chicken and kool aid at the white house this year. Obama was also heard saying “forget Desmond, where da white women at”

74. mrvikingsfan11 says: Aug 13, 2011 9:49 AM

I am a huge Vikings fan and I feel bad for the guy!!!!!!!!!!!

75. sojumaster says: Aug 13, 2011 10:08 AM

hooks024 says:Aug 13, 2011 7:56 AM

________________________________

@hooks024 First day on the internet? If you are nit picking grammer usage here, you might want to cancel your internet subscription, because your are an epic fail! LOL

76. prmpft says: Aug 13, 2011 10:22 AM

…just curious – what the hell exactly did he miss???

77. glac1 says: Aug 13, 2011 10:24 AM

Lets just get back home and focus on the “2012” campaign. It’s time to defend our title!

78. aberystwyth2 says: Aug 13, 2011 10:33 AM

oh man that’s worse than my fear of forgetting my passport when i get to the airport!!!

poor dude!!

79. steelerhypocrite says: Aug 13, 2011 10:34 AM

I know in the past, it was an honor to meet the President…however, this President HATES these players – he HATES everyone that is rich – professional athletes are an enemy to the Obama’s vision of the US. This is all he talks about – class warfare, rich not paying their fair share, shared sacrifice, etc. Why would you want to see someone who absolutely despises you?

However, the rich (Hollywood retard actors, overpaid rappers, and know nothing political pundits) all want to hang out with this guy, even though they are the enemy…what am I missing?

80. mjkelly77 says: Aug 13, 2011 10:36 AM

Maybe he’ll remember next year. That is if the Lions don’t prevent the Packers from a return trip.

81. thephantomstranger says: Aug 13, 2011 10:45 AM

I can’t stand the Packers or Obama, but I feel bad for Bishop. It’s a mistake that could happen to anyone. It seems to me there’s more than one way to confirm someone’s identity. If everyone on the team and coaching staff vouches for the guy and you google image “Desmond Bishop” and every picture that pops up looks exactly like the guy standing in front of you, that seems more definitive than looking at his drivers license. Do they want to prove who he is or prove that he can drive? You think Barbra Streisand shows her ID when she comes to sleep in the Lincoln Bedroom?

82. packmanfan says: Aug 13, 2011 10:54 AM

No doubt the Secret Service could have checked his drivers license using computers or other team mates and coaches verifying him.

But nope. The White House has to act all Gestapo on his azz while it reeks of martial law.

83. packfaninpackland says: Aug 13, 2011 11:07 AM

Re: mad5555 at 1:56 AM

“Wow, Let me ask this question…
    If it was Aaron Rogers or Clay “roids” Mathews, would they be denied? I highly doubt it. ”
    ————————-
    Nice job on the spelling genius. Way to get BOTH names incorrect.

You probably spell it Brett Farve and Bart Star too, right ???

FYI – it’s Rodgers, Matthews, Favre, and Starr genius !

84. noodlecbs says: Aug 13, 2011 11:23 AM

I am totally shocked, He should have just gotten Eric Holder to vouch for him…..yeah he’s one of “us” let him in.

85. packfaninpackland says: Aug 13, 2011 11:23 AM

To: thephantomstranger at 10:45 AM

” … It’s a mistake that could happen to anyone”
    —————————-
    Ummm, no.

Only a complete idiot would do that. First off, who has ever gotten off an airplane and said “shazam, I left my drivers license on the plane” ???

Second, who gets on an airplane and then takes their wallet out of their pocket and puts it up in the overhead bin or seatback pouch in front of you ??

Third, they’ve all been briefed on what ID to have and how to act beforehand (as if that weren’t all common sense to begin with), so even if you were foolish enough to forget your wallet or ID on an everyday basis, you “might” want to remember to have all of your security passes and forms of ID in place and on you when you meet the President – regardless of your race or political party affiliation. DUHHH

Fourth, this will be a source of embarrassment for him for the rest of his life.

And fifth, I say this as a lifelong Packer fan.

86. carlieatschmidt says: Aug 13, 2011 11:45 AM

my doppelgänger couldn’t get in either, first he found out he wasn’t on the list and then they told him his jonas brothers fan club membership card wouldn’t have been considered official id anyway.

87. hobartbaker says: Aug 13, 2011 12:02 PM

Should have said his middle name was Tutu, then they let him in. I mean, how they going to check if he doesn’t have I.D.?

88. rajbais says: Aug 13, 2011 12:02 PM

That sucks, but why would you forget it??????

89. voiceofrealism says: Aug 13, 2011 12:16 PM

mad5555 says: Aug 13, 2011 1:56 AM

Wow, Let me ask this question…
    ————
    Let me answer it for you, yes, they would be denied.
    It’s people like you that keep racism going. Congratulations, idiot.

90. edpeters101 says: Aug 13, 2011 12:20 PM

Security wouldn’t accept all his team mates vouching for him? So much for common sense! Like IDs can’t be faked? What if he had an ID and his team mates said it wasn’t him, security probably would have let him in!

91. bluestree says: Aug 13, 2011 12:24 PM

He should have called that woman from Housewives of DC and got the back door code.

92. theripster30 says: Aug 13, 2011 12:36 PM

He was an invited guest who is in the public eye. Let him in! Where are our priorities exactly? Remember those Salahi’s at the private party taking pictures with Obama without even being invited? They aren’t getting in if they look like Bishop. Believe that.

93. minnysoda says: Aug 13, 2011 12:56 PM

Pass ports are legal ID’S whoops don’t tell that to the POTUS

94. dgforreal says: Aug 13, 2011 1:13 PM

Wow, Let me ask this question…

I’m going to go out on a limb and say…. yes.

This is the POTUS we’re talking about. The Pope ain’t getting in without the proper credentials I’m sure.

95. robf2010 says: Aug 13, 2011 1:24 PM

Every team has at least one knucklehead.

96. packerzman says: Aug 13, 2011 1:31 PM

maybe he just didnt want to admit to the fact that he’s a Republican and would rather have spent the day chattin’ and shootin’ with Sarah Palin LOL

bzeller says:Aug 13, 2011 4:06 AM
    Typical packer….. Thinks he’s all that……what a joke

its moronic childish unintelligent quotes like this…and 100’s of others just like it…that can’t make September 8th come soon enough..lets play the games already!

97. mdnittlion says: Aug 13, 2011 1:36 PM

Glad to see the Secret Service is finally taking security serious, guess the White House crashers didn’t get the Memo.

98. sojumaster says: Aug 13, 2011 1:45 PM

I love it how everyone wants to blame the Secret Service and how THEY should have gone out of their way to verify Desmond’s idenity.

How about Desmond go out of HIS way and make sure he had his Photo ID ???

No one blames the police when they write someone a ticket because they were caught driving without having their licence on them. Why blame the Secret Service for doing their job?

The Secret Service were doing their job. No ID, No Entry!

99. sojumaster says: Aug 13, 2011 1:48 PM

thephantomstranger says:Aug 13, 2011 10:45 AM

___________________________

Ummm, Nope. The whole team and staff seem to have remembered to bring their IDs, except Desmond.

100. mornelithe says: Aug 13, 2011 1:53 PM

@ The Closet Racists: You do realize the President is black, right?

Obviously, the security breaches with the Salahi’s has lit a fire under the Secret Services butt. You aren’t going to see anyone getting ANY free passes anymore. Typical pro-athlete followers, who think rules don’t apply to them.

Deal with it, or don’t. Just don’t expect to get in to see the POTUS on looks alone, anymore.

101. titan40 says: Aug 13, 2011 2:02 PM

I’d use the same excuse to get out of meeting Obama.

102. purplehayseuss says: Aug 13, 2011 2:03 PM

billucf96 says: Aug 13, 2011 2:50 AM

Gee, where to start? You’ve seen terrorists? So many that you have an ‘average’ dimension for them? Has the DHS been in touch? Clearly you have important national security information! Step forward, man! Your country needs you! (Don’t forget your Wisconsin drivers license in the Lamborghini).

103. bordner says: Aug 13, 2011 2:05 PM

carlieatschmidt says:
    Aug 13, 2011 11:45 AM

———————————————–
    Even though I’m sure your a vikings “fan” – your posts have been making me laugh. Good job with the umlaut.

104. stairwayto7 says: Aug 13, 2011 2:20 PM

Typical Packer and like their ignorant fat fans!

105. bobnelsonjr says: Aug 13, 2011 2:30 PM

I have zero tolerance for zero tolerance.

106. localbandhero says: Aug 13, 2011 2:34 PM

I am not a Packers fan or Obamamanic..

I feel bad for the guy, but c’mon dude…you’re going to the White House. You can’t get a pack of cigarettes without ID.

At the same time…man, everyone is so freaking political. It’s the freaking rules, gotta have an ID.

As for the “Oh it’s because he’s black” nonsense and how the Sahalis got in…no. It’s a response to that situation.

And finally, how does this “No fried chicken and kool aid for you,” or “Obama didn’t care about Desmond and instead asked ‘Where da white women at” comments get on here and get thumbs ups?

Everyone just needs to chill out, stop claiming and/or being racist, and watch some damn football.

107. snotienose says: Aug 13, 2011 2:54 PM

Well one dumbass missed out on meeting another dumbass. What a co-incidenct.

108. redskinsfan4ever says: Aug 13, 2011 5:15 PM

WOW, they wouldn’t let him in; but they let in those lying, not-invited, scamming Salahi people who knew they weren’t invited; because they left before everyone sat down because they knew there were no placecards for them at ANY table. So, they went over to the Hay Adams and drank and then walked out on that bar tab. This guy is with the team; on the plane…guess he should have gone over to the H.A. It’s not the Secret Service’s fault; it’s Obama and his now (fired) social secretary, Desiree Rogers. Now, he has new people there, and they still can’t get it right. So typical…

109. mojoquasi says: Aug 13, 2011 6:01 PM

And those knuckleheads in Washington wonder why everyone hates government.

110. lance19 says: Aug 13, 2011 7:52 PM

I love that a linebacker used the word
    “vicariously,” in it’s proper context,
    and spelled correctly. Wow!

111. rayguyreturns says: Aug 13, 2011 9:20 PM

He just should have showed up with bags of $100 bills and votes from dead people. They would have put him first in line.