Sparano says there’s no quarterback battle “right at this second”

Matt Moore, Chad Henne AP

The unwillingness of Dolphins coach Tony Sparano to be unequivocal can cause some uncomfortable moments.  For example, when Sparano recently refused to rule out the possibility of pursuing a certain 41-year-old quarterback, Sparano temporarily put South Florida on Favre Watch.  (We’ve got a feeling many Miami residents would rather be under a hurricane warning.)

On Saturday, Sparano may have unintentionally, or otherwise, put his starting quarterback job in play.

Asked whether there’s a battle at the position between Chad Henne and Matt Moore after one preseason game, Sparano said, “I mean I wouldn’t say there is a battle right at this second.  To me it takes more than a few outings, couple practices any of those things.  But I mean I thought Matt [Moore] did some good things [on Friday night against the Falcons].  I mean on the surface it’s going to look like Matt did way more good things than Chad maybe, I guess to your eye but there was enough things in there to Matt’s 36 plays I believe it was that needed to be corrected as well.”

In those 36 plays on six drives, Moore completed 11 of 18 passes for 123 yards, two touchdowns, and an interception.  Henne, taking 13 snaps on four drives, connected on four of eight for 77 yards, a touchdown and two picks.

Of course, in the opinion of plenty of Dolphins fan the best thing Matt Moore has going for him is that he isn’t Chad Henne.

Permalink 36 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Miami Dolphins, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
36 Responses to “Sparano says there’s no quarterback battle “right at this second””
  1. drgfri says: Aug 13, 2011 8:48 PM

A “battle” would suggest that one of these guys had talent. So there is no battle “right at this second.”

2. trbowman says: Aug 13, 2011 8:49 PM

Shame Garrard has no leverage, I’d try to get out of Jacksonville and turn my sights to sunny Miami. Dolphins already have a great defense, Garrard could get them to the post season as a wildcard.

Henne is horrible.

3. trbowman says: Aug 13, 2011 8:52 PM

As for Sparano, he’s fired if the Dolphins don’t make the playoffs this year. They tried to move on last year. He’s done. He has to make the playoffs to save his job.

Troy Smith is still available. Why couldn’t they inquire about Garrard?

4. My Last Victim Escaped says: Aug 13, 2011 8:59 PM

How did Sparano wake up one morning and decided that 1 of the 2 QBs that will lead his team is Henne and Moore? Bet he’s wishin he was still coaching O-line.

But there are other terrible QB battles out there: Rexy/Becky, Cincy’s 3-Way Dance, and prob Alex “7th Year Rookie” Smith vs CK (Go Golin!).

5. frankdatank23 says: Aug 13, 2011 8:59 PM

this is the idea, henne is going to have to play his ass off if he ever wants to start again.

6. tfbuckfutter says: Aug 13, 2011 9:04 PM

Thinking about a quarterback battle in Miami just makes me want to watch the CRIPPLE FIGHT! episode of South Park.

7. realfootballfan says: Aug 13, 2011 9:04 PM

Don’t worry Dolphin fans, it’ll be all over in 4 more months

Just make sure you win less games than the Bengals or 49ers so that you can get Luck

8. FinFan68 says: Aug 13, 2011 9:06 PM

Stop riding the fence Tony. Either say Chad is your starting QB or say that there is an open QB competition. Sparano is very good at counting and remembering how many plays a player gets but he flat out sucks at inspiring any form of confidence. I have liked Sparano from day 1 but his constant wishy-washy garbage and outright avoidance of any hardline stances have made it much more difficult to support him. He seems to have no plan, or at least no back-up plan. He needs to stop worrying about perception and do whatever is best for the team to win. If that is Henne then support him instead of undermining any progress he may have made over the last 6 months.

9. thegonz13 says: Aug 13, 2011 9:14 PM

He’s right, there’s no QB battle… both are backups!

10. bdawkhit20 says: Aug 13, 2011 9:25 PM

Miami should of tanked their season last year so they could og gotten Newton. Bone heads!

11. goforthanddie says: Aug 13, 2011 9:34 PM

This guy bitches out the fans for screaming ORTON, and he doesn’t have any more faith in the guys he has?

12. dolfancg says: Aug 13, 2011 9:36 PM

The problem is the management. We should have never kept Sporano. He is at best a “good” offensive line coach.

We should try and trade for Tebow. He is a winner.

13. jacksaysfu says: Aug 13, 2011 9:37 PM

Attention Dolphins fans: Philadelphia is looking for a sucker I mean suitor for Mike Kafka. He only threw one interception Thursday (prettay prettay pretty good. He’s yours for only a 1st Rd pick. Trust us guy, I mean we gave you the amazing AJ Feeley. Your welcome Miami.

14. cornersss says: Aug 13, 2011 9:43 PM

Henne should have been 5/8 1 td 1 int, but fasano popped one up into the air resulting in a pick. The ball hit his hands, not even away from his body. I think fasano is a great te, but it wasn’t hennes fault.

I did like what i saw in Moore. Needs to show he can do it against a 1st team def though.

15. bdawkhit20 says: Aug 13, 2011 9:44 PM

Lol, yea, Dolphins would love the special K Kafka!

16. promickey says: Aug 13, 2011 9:45 PM

Sparano should be in politics. He is always on the fence and is somewhat delusional. Henne is not a starting quarterback. It is so obvious when his backup can outplay him and release the ball much quicker.

17. rethinklogic says: Aug 13, 2011 9:57 PM

USA today had Henne ranked 31 out of 32 starting quarterbacks. I can’t believe somebody is actually worse than him

18. bdawkhit20 says: Aug 13, 2011 9:57 PM

They should of got in on the Special K Kolb sweepstakes with Arizona.

19. granadosm says: Aug 13, 2011 10:06 PM

Our QB situation sucks but you still have to stick by your team. I think Ireland is really doing Sparano dirty by not getting him some legitimate competition. I think Ireland really thinks his job is safe. And for all you people who even mention Luck are morons and probably don’t know the first thing about any team in the NFL. Fins finished 6th in the league in defense last year, were not in the Luck sweepstakes.

20. dolphins4 says: Aug 13, 2011 10:09 PM

Don’t worry Dolphin fans,if Sparano starts Henne the Dolphins will have Luck at QB and Gruden at head coach next year.

21. opie333 says: Aug 13, 2011 10:18 PM

Has Sparano leaves after getting fired! The thing that will be ringing in his ears the most is, in the second round the dolphins select Daniel Thomas rb Kansas! Why didn’t I just pick Mallett! Then at least I could of called this a rebuilding year.

22. NFL Football Now says: Aug 13, 2011 10:24 PM

Peter King loved Matt Moore last season. Need I say more?

23. FinFan68 says: Aug 13, 2011 10:55 PM

The Dolphins can win 6 games with absolutely HORRIBLE QB play so the Luck bandwagon has a broken wheel in Miami. The defense will keep most games close. All Henne and/or Moore need to do is take care of the football a little better than last year. Take a few shots deep to keep the defense honest. There are good players on both sides of the ball. I have not given up on Henne, but I still think Mallett would have been a good pick-up for the long run. (He still can be but it will cost a bit more now)

24. drumzan says: Aug 13, 2011 11:02 PM

You guys are all a bunch of tools who don’t know what it takes to properly develop a QB. What you watched yesterday was a PRE-season game. And what you watched last year was Henne playing with a banged up o-line, two RB’s on the decline and at times he had two receivers as Marshall / Hartline were off/on injured. More than anything else though, he had Dan the Dinosaur Henning as his OC. Every single play call was predictable and Henne wasn’t allowed to call audibles. It took Peyton Manning 3 years to become elite. Henne deserves another year. Don’t forget guys, Henne beat the Packers on the road. And should’ve beaten the Steelers if not for a botched play call. Those by the way are the two super bowl teams.

25. bsizemore68 says: Aug 13, 2011 11:33 PM

I think most of the people on this site really think that anyone cares about there opinion on this team, The difference with me is I know one cares about my opinion, however some on this site really think they know more then the coaches, let me know when you get a coaching job in the NFL. Bill

26. thetooloftools says: Aug 13, 2011 11:55 PM

Favre will only return if someone gets injured and he can look like a savior. (if was smart). He still has gas in the tank though… I firmly believe that.

27. eagleseagleseagles says: Aug 14, 2011 3:37 AM

There is no QB competition. Chad Pennington is the unquestioned starter week 1.

28. dolphins4 says: Aug 14, 2011 8:18 AM

Henne has been in the NFL for 3 years if he don’t have it by now he never will.And for Parcells to give up on him that says something.

29. MichaelEdits says: Aug 14, 2011 9:26 AM

I’m checking my watch… nope, no quarterback battle right this second either.

30. richm2256 says: Aug 14, 2011 9:47 AM

@drumzan;
    You compare Chad Henne to Peyton Manning, and call OTHER people “tools”????

I don’t know what they’re putting in your water down there, but with that many “if only’s”, ANY team could win a Super Bowl.

Dude, your team SUCKS, your coach is a moron (really, Bill Parcells picked THAT guy?), and your GM is a joke. You can spin that however it makes you feel, but in the end, only Buffalo sucks worse in that division.

31. dwight123 says: Aug 14, 2011 10:37 AM

…All This Hate for Henne,and yet the season hasn’t even started sure he’s looked bad,BUT all that matters is wk 1..not wk 1 of the PRE-season..don’t be surprised if he comes out and does something this year…just saying.

32. mackie66 says: Aug 14, 2011 11:04 AM

Matt Moore is heads and shoulders above Henne/Penne. Why u ask? Well, two things. Moore is more accurate, second he has good pocket awareness, while Henne just plods along. Moore isnt Dan the man, well, not yet. If Miami can somehow FIX the OL problem the QB might not be running for his life almost every snap. Sparano always talks about fixing this or fixing that and nothing gets fixed. I dont believe Sparano is the answer at HC. Maybe Ross can FIX that.
    Wasnt Fasanos fault he tipped a Henne pass, although he could have caught that ball. Henn threw the ball to the wrong side of Fasano. In a short pass like that u have to give your receiver some time to pick up the ball. Its always a good thing when the QB puts the ball on the money, which of course, Henne almost never does.

33. justentertainingthestupid says: Aug 14, 2011 11:44 AM

I think Chad Henne is going to have a really good year this year.

34. peanutbutter&jelly says: Aug 14, 2011 1:59 PM

what i’m impressed with the most is miami didn’t kick a field goal the whole game and they won. thats progress

35. sclazo says: Aug 15, 2011 4:13 AM

There better be a QB battle. Henne has proven in over 2 years he is not worthy to be a starting QB. What has he done but help produce two 7-9 seasons?

36. dolphincritic says: Aug 15, 2011 10:08 AM

Sporano’s butt must be raw from those fence pickets he has been straddling! Come-on Man!
    Just tell everyone that there is an open competition and you will pick your regular season game starter before the first regular season game!

Is it so hard to pleasantly announce that you will be looking at the progress all of your players make and may mix up who plays with which unit to see how they perform with the support of various players.

Sporano should just be honest, candid and let the players earn their positions. I’ve got an idea; lets have scrimmages and play a few games that don’t count. We can pick the best football players to play the bulk of the time in the games that do count. We will ignore things like where you were drafted, how much you are payed and who you know so that we can concentrate on beating other teams with our best players!

Too much to ask? Lop-jaw, my high school coach, told us that there was a basic purity in football that could not be bypassed. He said that football is about dominating your adversaries. You can beat them physically and mentally or you can be beaten physically and mentally. Lop-jaw played the guys who tried to master both. Sometimes, I think that money and politics pervert something as simple as football by twisting it until it looses its purity a philosophical truth!

GO DOLPHINS!