DeSean says Steve Smith is Maclin insurance

Getty Images

Eagles coach Andy Reid recently said that the signing of former Giants receiver Steve Smith has no bearing on the status of receiver Jeremy Maclin.

Receiver DeSean Jackson says otherwise.

“The reason why they picked [Smith] up is they’re unsure of Maclin’s health,” Jackson said Saturday, according to Les Bown of the Philadelphia Daily News.

Maclin’s health generally remains a mystery.Β  And in the absence of specific information, speculation has been rampant, with all sorts of rumors making the rounds on the Internet.

Here’s hoping that, whatever it is, it isn’t serious; Maclin is only 23.

47 responses to “DeSean says Steve Smith is Maclin insurance

1. Good job, DeSean, you’re trying to get a new contract, remember, you twit? Spouting off about another player’s health and your team’s plans won’t help your cause. Sheesh.

2. #truth

Not that Smith isn’t a good player, but totally true statement. The Eagles love Avant and Cooper as the 3 and 4 to Mac and Jax, and they didn’t sign Smith to be the 5th wr… so… yeah, djax is exactly right.

3. A true sign of stupidity is the inability to tell when people are taking advantage of you.

The Philadelphia and national media are taking advantage of the fact that DeSean Jackson can’t shut up.

He honestly believes that the reason they keep coming to him is because they value his opinion, when in fact they keep coming to him because they know he isn’t smart enough to know when to say “no comment”.

Pathetic.

4. Maybe it’s insurance for you Jackson they did they same thing with lito when he wanted a new contract they brought in Asante and Said seeya. Keep handling yourself like t.o. And you will get treated like t.o. Shut up and play. This is even coming from a eagles fan

5. green18, Eagles don’t play Packers this year. So either you don’t know your own team’s schedule or you’re writing them into the playoffs before the season even starts. Whichever it is you’re making yourself look like a fool.

6. green18blue52 says:
    Aug 14, 2011 11:12 PM
    Iggles need some kind of insurance to protect them from MAYHEM aka THE CLAYMAKER!! Go Pack!

We have packer insurance in our secondary our improved defensive line and we’ve improved our o line as well. Hopefully baby Thor can be a better than avg MLB and the birds can get a rematch against the pack.

7. I mean what else was the move for? Kinda obvious. You don’t bring an umbrella unless it’s gunna rain. I don’t think D-Jack should be saying it in public but we aren’t dumb fans. Maclin just needs to get healthy. Fly Eagles Fly.

8. There wasn’t much out there in the experienced FA Wide Receiver market when they picked up Smith. Looks like another gag order may be coming. First VY, and now Jackson, since Reid’s explanation was completely different. If this was the Patriots, neither would have said a word, but Philly doesn’t emphasize keeping their troops quiet as much as Belichick.

Smith was a nice pickup, and a surprise given he came from the division foe Giants. That one has to still be burning Coughlin and the Giants’ front office. Whatever is happening to Maclin, I hope he gets it figured out and can play this year. I am a Cowboy fan, but he is a young, talented WR, and I hate to see this type of thing happen to any young player.

9. thanks for verifying what everyone already knew desean. you may be a punk on the field…but at least you tell it like it is….unlike your POS coach.

10. Maclin is from StL and is a great kid – here’s hoping he’s okay. We’re rooting for him here to make it back.

11. So if a person says something that makes sense and is probably true, what’s the problem? The reality is Maclin is not healthy and might not be able to produce. Smith may turn out to be his replacement. Jackson is being a realist. nothing wrong with that.

12. I love deSean, but signing Smith makes no sense as “insurance” They would sign a healthy player if they wanted insurance.

I am sure i am right about why they signed Smith. I think the Eagles have been getting tons of offers for Avant. The guy should be starting in the NFL. IMO they signed Smith more so they can have the first shot at signing him next year to replace Avant when they trade him at the draft. Mark it down you heard it here first. The Eagles will trade Avant for another second round pick and keep Smith as a slot guy. They only signed him this year to a one year deal so they could be in charge of his health to see if he really does recover.

13. Anyway while I’m here I want to clear up a technicality about Maclin.

Maclin is NOT on the PUP list. The PUP list is reserved for football-related injuries.

Like the PUP list, he won’t use up a roster spot while he is not activated.

Unlike the PUP list, he can be activated at ANY point in the season… week 2, week 14, ANY time.

14. jtbaudendistel says: Aug 14, 2011 11:43 PM

______________________________________
    Guys get into trouble when they wander outside their pay grade with their comments. He may be telling the truth and that’s all well and good but Maclin’s issues are not football related which is an even better reason for his teammates to be vague about it. Anything DJ knows about Maclin’s health such that he could state that another player was signed due to it has to be from DJ’s personal knowledge and that comes dangerously close to violating Maclin’s privacy rights.

15. We all know the iggles and packers will be in the playoffs. You don’t load up like philly did so you can just play regular season. I’m just saying, Clay threw a monkey wrench in philly plans by slamming kolb on his face last year. Thank lucky stars that you had a motivated Ron Mexico waiting in the wings.

16. andyreidisfat, uhhh, I have to strongly disagree. I am not saying they won’t be trading Avant now that Smith is aboard. What I am saying is that Avant, unless he has a breakout season as a STARTER won’t be anywhere worth a 2nd round pick. 51 receptions and 1 TD won’t garner a 2nd round pick. It is obvious you like him, and have made a homer call with the 2nd round pick projection here, but Avant is worth MAYBE a 4th or 5th round pick as it stands today.

17. “justbust says:
    Aug 14, 2011 11:38 PM
    umm off topic, but i cant wait till clay gets hit with that drug test. Maybe his forehead will go back to its original size.”

Umm… if you preface a post with “probably off topic but”…. you probably just shouldn’t post it.

18. As a Giants fan, I know both sides talk a LOT of s**t to one another, but I sincerely Maclin is going to be okay. Ultimately, it’s just a football game and this is a 23 year old’s life. I hope they find the answer soon and he is able to beat whatever this illness is and live a long and healthy life.

19. green18blue52 says:
    Aug 14, 2011 11:12 PM

——————————–

I wasn’t aware the Eagles pushed for the HGH testing policy in the new CBA.

20. jsrdc…

Dude Philly is amazing at keeping things in house and not having their players talk. I remember seeing Randy Moss at press conferences in NE talking aggressivly at the media so the Pats are not excluded. Things happen, Desean really didn’t say anything wrong. C’mon give him a break…lol

21. not be negative but i hate when people say hes only 23 so he should be healthy, well my brother died of cancer of the lungs from asbestos so i dont wanna hear bout hes too young well so was my brother and no one knows who he was outside of the family. Im happy for the guy that survived his cancer from the giants and boston college but my brother lost his life mainly cause we didnt have a famous brother playing college ball with a chance to go pro!!!

22. Steve Smith is a good pick up.

Totally off topic, but I was wondering, where is Houshmandzadeh gonna end up? I saw every game he played as a Seahawk and he produced well in our booty offense. I know he’s been labeled a diva, but is he as bad as everyone makes him out to be? If he’s an egotistical stat guy, then I understand. If he wants to win, I think he’d look good in Jets green. Maybe New England? Maybe I’m a silly Billy, but it’s got me wondering.

23. “Maclin is on – you guessed it – the Reserve Non-football-related Illness List. Yes, the NFL seems to have a list for everything.”

This is absolutely true. I did a search of my name on the NFL.com web site, and found out that I’m on the “Too Old, Fat and Slow” list.

24. Dude Philly is amazing at keeping things in house and not having their players talk.

—————————————————————

Sure, just ask Dovovan McNabb and TO. AMAZING.

25. Much about nothing with DeSean’s Maclin comments. However, DeSean probably doesn’t have a contract because “Next Question” wants him to get to free agency so “Next Question” gets a bigger payday. Maybe DeSean should ask Steve Smith how that strategy worked out for him.

26. Maclin is on – you guessed it – the Reserve Non-football-related Illness List. Yes, the NFL seems to have a list for everything.

Like the PUP list, he won’t use up a roster spot while he is not activated.

——————————————————–

Actually since he’s on the RESERVE NFI list if
    he’s not activated by the final cut date he can’t be activated until after week 6. If he were on the ACTIVE NFI list he could return at any time.

27. To be honest this probably was insurance for Maclin but dude, seriously DeSean? Just do us a favor and keep your mouth shut.

28. kevinfromphilly says: Aug 15, 2011 7:58 AM

β€œMaclin is on – you guessed it – the Reserve Non-football-related Illness List. Yes, the NFL seems to have a list for everything.”

This is absolutely true. I did a search of my name on the NFL.com web site, and found out that I’m on the β€œToo Old, Fat and Slow” list.

——————————-

Me, too. On the plus side, we’re right there under “#1. Albert Haynesworth.”

29. melonnhead says: Aug 15, 2011 7:59 AM

β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”

Sure, just ask Dovovan McNabb and TO. AMAZING.

——————————————-

Coming from the guy who cheers for the team still recovering from the aftermath of T.O.

“That’s my QUARTERBACK, MAN! Boo hoo hoo.”