Kevin Williams awaits his StarCaps medicine

Kevin+Williams+MY8RlCg_5gOm Getty Images

The league isn’t saying whether the men who tested positive for a banned diuretic that had been spiked into the supplement known as StarCaps will be suspended to start the 2011 season.  Appearing last week on PFT Live, Vikings V.P. of player personnel Rick Spielman seemed to hint that a four-game suspension for defensive tackle Kevin Williams may not be as sure of a thing as the completion of the failed legal challenge to the suspension would suggest.

For his part, Kevin Williams seems to be ready to accept the punishment.  “In my mind, I’m preparing to miss the four games,” Williams told Peter King of SI.com.  “It’d be a huge surprise if we got it ‘buddied’ out of the CBA, but that’s what I’m hoping.”

That’s the only way that Kevin Williams, Saints defensive end Will Smith, and free-agent defensive tackle Pat Williams will avoid the suspensions.  And until the NFL lets the men involved know where they stand, it remains at least possible that the new CBA resulted in the slate being wiped clean.

Permalink 17 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Minnesota Vikings, New Orleans Saints, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
17 Responses to “Kevin Williams awaits his StarCaps medicine”
  1. buhbay1c says: Aug 15, 2011 9:03 AM

No matter what happens. I think I speak for NFL fans everywhere when I say, “Thank God we don’t have to hear about this anymore.”

2. polishkingski says: Aug 15, 2011 9:04 AM

if thats true shouldn`t they (the players) know that from looking at the cba? i don`t get it.

3. realitypolice says: Aug 15, 2011 9:12 AM

Why would this still be an open issue?

What in the world is going on in the league offices? They are either going to suspend them or they aren’t. Make a decision and announce it and be done with it.

It’s the same thing as with the Terrell Pryor case. Either he’s in the damn draft or he isn’t. Make a decision.

Hey, fellas- you’re not deciding who lives and who dies here. We’re not trying to discover the meaning of life. These should be fairly clear cut issues.

Seriously.

4. jodave5 says: Aug 15, 2011 9:22 AM

Is it me or did this entire episode seem to start in about 1988? Finish it already. Dude will be retired before he ever serves his suspension.

5. voiceofrealism says: Aug 15, 2011 9:22 AM

I doubt 5% of players actually read the CBA. Sure, they’ll bitch about what’s in it that someone like their player rep tells them about it. But they won’t read it. That’s a level of responsibility and maturity most players will never reach.

6. gregjennings85 says: Aug 15, 2011 9:30 AM

It. Is. About. Time.

7. ejmat2 says: Aug 15, 2011 9:42 AM

gregjennings85 says:
    Aug 15, 2011 9:30 AM
    It. Is. About. Time.
    —————————————-
    What is about time? From what I am reading a decision hasn’t been made yet. Am I missing something?

8. thephantomstranger says: Aug 15, 2011 9:49 AM

I would apply the Andy Taylor rule to this one, and follow the spirit of the law rather than the letter of the law. They took a legal diuretic that wasn’t listed as an ingredient. The league knew it was in there but chose not to tell the players. It’s a banned substance because it could be used as a masking agent to hide steroid use, but during court proceedings the league admitted they didn’t believe the players had taken steroids. Andy would let them go with a warning and a friendly “Ya’all come back now, ya hear?”

9. brewdogg says: Aug 15, 2011 10:48 AM

gregjennings85 says:
    Aug 15, 2011 9:30 AM
    It. Is. About. Time.

For. Your. Medication.

10. wtfru2 says: Aug 15, 2011 10:54 AM

C’mon Goodell, just admit this one was stupid to pursue to begin with and drop it. A four game suspension for doing nothing wrong is just not right. ha…..

11. leatherface2012 says: Aug 15, 2011 10:58 AM

good morning usa, i got a feeling that it’s gonna be a wonderful day……..the sun in the sky’s got a smile on its face , and it’s shining a salute to the american race!!! oh boy it’s great to say……GOOD MORNING USA!!

12. theytukrjobs says: Aug 15, 2011 11:59 AM

The league will wait until whichever portion of the Vikings season includes the toughest 4 game stretch and then inact it right at that time. Or they will wait until just prior to the league start.

Goodell is a petty man and this will be their passive aggressive way of being dicks about what they likely perceive as an attack on their authority.

Vikes/Saints should be totally planning on their players being out.

13. lovemyqueens says: Aug 15, 2011 3:53 PM

Clicked on your link to Pat Williams.

Goes to Seahawks Wideout Patrick Williams.

Not epic, but pretty big fail.

14. favreblows says: Aug 15, 2011 7:04 PM

Sit Down Cheater.

15. paulharghis says: Aug 15, 2011 8:43 PM

favreblows says:
    Aug 15, 2011 7:04 PM
    Sit Down Cheater.

=======================
    Pretty funny when the NFL said they didn’t think either guy was on steroids.

Meanwhile, back at the Lambeau, there is a guy who gained 100 pounds in 6 years, when *common knowledge dictates that you can only put on 7-10 pounds per year in lean muscle mass.

Bonds put on exactly that in the same timeframe, and he has been vilified as a steroid cheat. But, nah, Clay isn’t on anything at all.

* I’d post a link to this, but the last post I put up with the link was not allowed.
    Uff, I guess I should remember who i replied to in this post, you won’t understand 3/4 of what I’m trying to explain to you.

16. favreblows says: Aug 16, 2011 12:14 PM

Cry me a river Hargis you idiot. Williams got caught. The Claymaker never has. I know that really makes it hard on you Viking fans, but you’re going to have to accept that the Williams brothers were/are a couple of cheaters. Sorry sonny.

17. paulharghis says: Aug 16, 2011 7:31 PM

favreblows says:
    Aug 16, 2011 12:14 PM

==============================
    He got caught taking a masking agent- also used for weight loss. Both are well over 300 pounds.
    Both had weight clauses in their contract.

I don’t know why I bother. I’m sure connect the dots are beyond your comprehension level.
    What are you gonnado when it gets swept under the rug?
    Better yet, what you gonna do when Clay gets popped?
    I know, you will defend him to the teeth and say “everyone else does it”.

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOSERRRRRRR.