Channing Crowder says it will be hard for Chad Henne to win

crowder8000_460974c Getty Images

Former Dolphins linebacker Channing Crowder, who surprisingly retired last week and intends to become a member of the media, already is firing fastballs.  He aimed one this morning at the closely-cropped head of former teammate and Miami quarterback Chad Henne.

Appearing with our buddy Joe Rose of WQAM, Crowder teed off on Henne’s skills, or lack thereof.

“He hasn’t really proven anything to me while I played with him and now being on the other side, looking down as a fan, he’s not impressing me, either,” Crowder said. “So he can get on, he has all the tangibles, I want to say, the arm strength, his feetwork’s funny, but [with the] arm strength he has, you know he can make some good throws, but the intangibles, the winning the game, the wanting to have everything on his shoulders, like the Bradys and like the Mannings, and wanting to have, be down by five with a minute left on the 20 yard line, let’s see what happens, he doesn’t have that in his heart yet, and I think it will be hard for him to win.  But like I said the proof’s in the pudding, so if he comes out this year and going crazy, you know, I’ll have to put my foot in my mouth, but, if I was a betting man, I wouldn’t bet on him going crazy.”

Crowder explained that woeful performance by the offense places pressure on, the defense — and that the defense definitely notices when the offense struggles.

Crowder also threw a verbal grenade or two at Dolphins G.M. Jeff Ireland, saying that Crowder won’t be playing for the Dolphins as long as Ireland is there.  Crowder also disclosed that he was fined multiple times by Ireland for making public comments.

“He fined me five, ten grand when I said something real crazy,” Crowder said, explaining that he tolerated Ireland’s “foolishness” because he “loved” coach Tony Sparano and wanted to play for him.

On one hand, it’s possible Crowder is merely chewing on sour grapes.  On the other hand, he’s a guy who speaks his mind — and we’ve got a feeling he’d tell it like it is even if he left under good circumstances.

Permalink 44 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Miami Dolphins, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors
44 Responses to “Channing Crowder says it will be hard for Chad Henne to win”
  1. tatum064 says: Aug 16, 2011 2:35 PM

what has the league come to when a guy retires (quits), then disses his own former teammates?

Have some type of class or rapport.

2. CKL says: Aug 16, 2011 2:38 PM

“Ireland??? Where’s Ireland??? Is that a COUNTRY??? DO they speak ENGLISH there!?!??!?!”
    /crowdered

3. Single Filament says: Aug 16, 2011 2:40 PM

LOVE this.

It’s so rare you see players speak their minds because they’re worried about burning bridges, getting a job in the future.

Channing wasn’t the best player, but he’s hilarious and when unfiltered it’s almost must-listen.

I want to hear what he has to say about everyone else!

4. liltifer says: Aug 16, 2011 2:43 PM

“Crowder also threw a verbal grenade or two at Dolphins G.M. Jeff Ireland, saying that Crowder won’t be playing for the Dolphins as long as Ireland is there. Crowder also disclosed that he was fined multiple times by Ireland for making public comments.”

Funny – I seem to remember him being cut by the Dolphins, not retiring from them. So he was perfectly willing to play for Ireland while Ireland was perfectly fine with paying him.

I guess in a way, he is right. He won’t be playing in Miami while Ireland is here.

5. deepseabreeze says: Aug 16, 2011 2:44 PM

has this guy ever, even once, made a coherent statement that made sense all the way through?

6. livxsiv says: Aug 16, 2011 2:44 PM

Crowder should put his foot in his mouth more often.

He’s not the smoothest speaker to come out of the NFL. I’m not sure where he thinks he’s getting a media job.

7. FinFan68 says: Aug 16, 2011 2:45 PM

WTF is “third morning”?

8. letsgobuffaloin2011 says: Aug 16, 2011 2:45 PM

Wow, I actually agree with this idiot.

9. scoops1 says: Aug 16, 2011 2:46 PM

Channing Crowder = Spokesman for C’monnnn Mannnn

10. realitypolice says: Aug 16, 2011 2:46 PM

“his feetwork’s funny”
    ===================

Ask Emmitt Smith how long people who talk funny last in broadcasting.

11. thereisalwaysnextyear says: Aug 16, 2011 2:48 PM

” his feetwork’s funny”

I think this guy needs some lessons speaking before joining the media.

12. richm2256 says: Aug 16, 2011 2:50 PM

“He hasn’t really proven anything to me while I played with him”

That’s okay, Crowder; Henne says you you didn’t prove too much to HIM, either.

Oh, and the reason you won’t play for the ‘Fins while Ireland is GM is ….. because Ireland IS the GM and doesn’t want your a$$.

Glad to have cleared that up for you.

13. nyg17 says: Aug 16, 2011 2:50 PM

This is what I got from this article:

“Feetwork”

I hope this guy saved his money.

14. bahoto34 says: Aug 16, 2011 2:50 PM

ok tiki

15. paulieorkid says: Aug 16, 2011 2:51 PM

Crowder was atrocious as a player AND he had a big mouth. Quite a combo.

Most high maintenance athletes have elite skillsets that some consider worth putting up with (e.g., T.O., Pacman, Ocho, Prime, Fat Albert, Moss etc.) – until their production fails to merit tolerating their antics.

But Crowder was about as elite an athlete as a report card of straight Cs, Ds and an F – – – but he yaps like he was a Muhammad Ali caliber talent.

Crowder’s “15 minutes” will be short – enjoy this buffoon’s “media career” (lol) before it gets clipped. That is, IF it ever starts … from a media outlet other than his own Twitter account.

16. phinfan54 says: Aug 16, 2011 2:53 PM

So, a team pays you over $2 million dollars a year and one of the first things you do is start bad mouthing the QB & GM? Maybe that was why he was let go. He’s not a team player.

17. shadowdolphin says: Aug 16, 2011 2:58 PM

Ireland in this case isn’t a country, it’s the worst GM in the league. He has done absolutely nothing to help the team unless of course you think Reggie Bush is due for a 1500 yard, 20 plus TD season (I have some land in the Everglades if you do).

I also think it’s kind of nuts that the coach is getting all of this heat for player personnel moves via trade or free agency. Simply stated, he has nothing to do with that … it’s all on Ireland. Coach is a nice guy who’s unfortunately in over his head.

The other person who should be wearing some of this is Steve Ross who’s working his way toward being the worst owner in the league.

I’d love them all to prove me wrong.

18. frankrizzo51 says: Aug 16, 2011 2:59 PM

Did he actually say “feetwork” ?

19. yzguy431 says: Aug 16, 2011 3:05 PM

awesome. another media type.

20. oldhamletman says: Aug 16, 2011 3:05 PM

Don’y like him, and the guy is the dullest tool in the drawer, but he’s totally unfiltered…. doesn’t hold back at all ever…. and it clearly isn’t agenda based… so he’s worth listening to.

very very unique in the NFL…. home of the “I am retiring” and the “I am definitely never ever going to coach Alabama”

hope more of these guys crop up…. just for the entertainment

21. ryanmallettsbluntwrap says: Aug 16, 2011 3:07 PM

Ireland is top 3 worst GMs in football , i wouldn’t want him running my team , crowders not the brightest guy in the world but i do believe what he says about Henne and Ireland being an idiot.

22. mfclock says: Aug 16, 2011 3:08 PM

No joke, I had to read the quote 4 times and on the 4th I said forget it and skipped to the bottom of the post – @realitypolice I lol’d at your comment – good stuff.

23. rajbais says: Aug 16, 2011 3:21 PM

If T.O. said the same crap Brandon Marshall did and Channing spread the word, the stupid media would have acted as if there was a terrorist attack.

But Brandon has a possible problem, but he’s nicer to talk to than T.O. so the Fins and #19 get a pass!!!

24. mrclearview says: Aug 16, 2011 3:26 PM

I’m pretty sure he’s right about at least one thing in that statement…Henne isn’t going to do alot of winning this year. They need a QB down there in Miami.

25. ronaldmexico says: Aug 16, 2011 3:47 PM

Crowder inflicted more abuse on the English language in that interview than he has on opposing offenses in recent years. However, I agree with his view on Henne’s chances of being a good QB.

26. neer music says: Aug 16, 2011 3:47 PM

so the guy who was released due to his cost/performance ratio thinks that their starting qb sucks.

good one.

27. bearsrulepackdrool says: Aug 16, 2011 3:58 PM

Yea he also has a quote in the Miami Herald where he says he’s going to come back in 3 or 4 years after he spends a year raising his son.

Wait WHO INTENTIONALLY retires for 2 years?!

To say he has a few screws loose would be VERY generous.

28. wannstache says: Aug 16, 2011 4:38 PM

He has his flaws and wasn’t worth his contract, but he has shown he is not afraid to be honest. I’m inclined to believe him. He just confirms what most of us Dolfans suspect and the others refuse to consider.

29. damnyoulinelliot says: Aug 16, 2011 4:47 PM

Channing Crowder is the new Tiki Barber.

Retired like a coward just so he could bash him QB and not face flak in private from his locker room.

30. granadafan says: Aug 16, 2011 4:55 PM

What is it about the Dolphins and mental illness?

31. trickbunny says: Aug 16, 2011 4:57 PM

Heyba Fabat Albert, Chebeck oubut mahba feebutwobork!

32. 33rdasylum says: Aug 16, 2011 5:03 PM

apparently it was pretty hard to win with Channing Crowder too

33. jcd213 says: Aug 16, 2011 5:04 PM

Channing making a fool of himself as always. Who just retired? Guess he doesn’t have it in his heart to win either.

34. ampats says: Aug 16, 2011 5:59 PM

Is retired the new verb for DUMPED?

35. tjacks7 says: Aug 16, 2011 5:59 PM

Ironically the guy walking away from the game at 27 years old is questioning another guys heart for the game.

36. bsizemore68 says: Aug 16, 2011 6:50 PM

Good to see someone on this site has a team, perhaps they will feel sorry for CC and offer him a job. Bill

37. axespray says: Aug 16, 2011 6:55 PM

didn’t ray lewis call out his qb(offense) for not stepping up?

38. liltifer says: Aug 16, 2011 9:23 PM

“Ireland in this case isn’t a country, it’s the worst GM in the league. He has done absolutely nothing to help the team”

39. shadowdolphin says: Aug 16, 2011 11:02 PM

“You haven’t seen how stacked this defense is, have you? Of course he’s helped the team. He just hasn’t landed a very good QB yet.”

I just don’t enjoy watching my favorite team lose 14-3, 17-6 etc. games. If they don’t score 2-3 touchdowns a game … they lose. Simple. The defense is solid but there are a few other teams ahead of them on the stacked list. Hopefully, he’ll get off his butt and spend the $9mm cap he has left on scoring some points (assuming he knows how to do that) and you’re right, he hasn’t landed a very good QB yet.

40. vomitingliberals says: Aug 17, 2011 2:03 AM

Who are all of these clowns around here saying that Jeff Ireland is one of the league’s worst GM’s? Are you kidding me? Say what you will about Tony Sparano and the coaching staff in general, but Ireland has been far from a terrible GM! Just take a look at his work…

Jake Long, Cameron Wake, Brandon Marshall, Vontae Davis, Karlos Dansby, Davone Bess, Kendall Langford, Koa Misi, Sean Smith, and Reggie Bush etc., etc…

I know Ireland has struck out on a few guys, namely at QB (though they wouldn’t have made the playoffs without Pennington in 08′ after the horrific 07′ 1-15 season), but to call him one of the worst GM’s in the game is pure football ignorance.

41. tigerphins says: Aug 17, 2011 4:46 AM

How about when your offense scores 27 vs Detroit, Crowder, and your defense gives up a few late 4th qtr TDs despite a comfortable lead?

Were those 27 points placing pressure on you?

42. mksnpcola says: Aug 17, 2011 5:44 PM

I’m sure when the money runs out Channing will make a nice addition to the team at McDonalds. After all, they have pictures of the food on the register so even a guy with limited IQ can press a button. He has as much of a chance working with the Hubble Telescope project as he does in broadcasting.

43. reeldolfan2 says: Aug 17, 2011 5:52 PM

Channing was a good run stopper and a sub-par coverage LB.
    I liked his interviews, because they were entertaining and he
    Never held anything back, just ask Mr Foot Fetish…
    He can join NFL Network, I’d rather watch him than Warren Sapp…
    Or Michael Irving for that matter!!!

44. justentertainingthestupid says: Aug 20, 2011 11:44 AM

I think Chad Henne is going to have a really good season.