Sanchez: I won’t fight Rex, he’s out of my weight class

New York Jets v Philadelphia Eagles Getty Images

We noted on Monday afternoon that Mark Sanchez was quoted by GQ as saying that he wanted to fight Rex Ryan last season when Ryan discussed the possibility of benching Sanchez. On Monday night, Sanchez clarified those comments — and took a dig at his coach.

“Was I going to fight Rex? Obviously not,” Sanchez said after the Jets’ preseason game. “That’d be like De La Hoya and George Foreman. He’s way out of my weight class.”

For the record, Oscar De La Hoya never weighed more than 160 pounds during his boxing career, while Foreman weighed as much as 267. If Sanchez is suggesting that Ryan outweighs him by more than 100 pounds, Sanchez is probably overstating Ryan’s girth: Sanchez is listed at 225, while Ryan reportedly slimmed down to 291 after having weight-loss surgery.

In any event, Sanchez says that his anger at Ryan for talking about benching him is something that’s appreciated by everyone in the Jets’ locker room, including the coach.

“That’s part of the reason Rex drafted me, because I value this job,” Sanchez said. “It’s my life. And if somebody wanted to take that away from me, that’s personal.”

For his part, Ryan said he’s not worried about Sanchez’s comments.

“I heard he wanted to fight me and things, but that’s a long line,” Ryan said. “But you know what? That’s what you want. You want a guy that’s competitive. All we want is the best for our team, and at that time I wanted to send a message that you know what? We can bench anybody on this team — with the exception of [Darrelle] Revis obviously.”

Permalink 39 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New York Jets, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
39 Responses to “Sanchez: I won’t fight Rex, he’s out of my weight class”
  1. jnbnet says: Aug 16, 2011 7:27 AM

Jaba the jet would slurp him down like a noodle

2. iflounder says: Aug 16, 2011 7:30 AM

imagine those two going at it. just kidding, like there’s a bed made that could hold that action.

3. sexyrexys says: Aug 16, 2011 7:31 AM

i love my team

4. kevinfromphilly says: Aug 16, 2011 7:39 AM

He’s not as funny as Ryan, either.

5. tripnasty says: Aug 16, 2011 7:41 AM

“We can bench anybody on this team — with the exception of [Darrelle] Revis obviously.”

That boy must have some pretty feet.

6. skoobyfl says: Aug 16, 2011 7:42 AM

Godzilla, Gidrah & Mothra have a fighting chance against Rex, though slim.

7. MCxShow says: Aug 16, 2011 7:53 AM

“Ryan reportedly slimmed down to 291…”

391*

Fixed your typo

8. boothisman says: Aug 16, 2011 7:56 AM

Enough with this team. I like some of the players and yes, on paper it’s a great group, but I’m so sick of hearing about every little thing that happens at Camp Rex.

9. djteknision1200 says: Aug 16, 2011 7:59 AM

Ryan reportedly slimmed down to 291 after having weight-loss surgery. Slimmed down??? Every time I look at Rex or Rob I can’t help but think of one of those two having a heart attack right on the sideline. Living at that size can’t be healthy.

10. canetic says: Aug 16, 2011 8:00 AM

Slimmed down to 291 AFTER weight loss surgery? How long till he’s cruising the sidelines in a Lark?

11. liltifer says: Aug 16, 2011 8:06 AM

Rex Ryan is out of Bam Bam Bigelow’s weight class…

12. batfreight says: Aug 16, 2011 8:13 AM

Do the Jets ever STFU? …Other than imbecile Jet fans, angst ridden teenage girls and foot fetishists, who gives a rats ass about this insipid nonsense?

13. seabreezes51 says: Aug 16, 2011 8:15 AM

Rex is better at footwork too.

14. RexCanCoach says: Aug 16, 2011 8:15 AM

6-7 passing. Improvement this year? I think so!

15. jblosser7 says: Aug 16, 2011 8:17 AM

Little strategy for Sanchez. Get your toenails all manicured and looking good. Fight him barefooted, so he will be drooling and staring at your pretty feet. Then hit him with a left jab, right jab, then an uppercut. Maybe a nice golden corral splash on cologne also.

16. beecee71 says: Aug 16, 2011 8:30 AM

Feet jokes are so overdone, can’t you guys come up with anything other than feet or fat jokes with Rex? Or is originality just not your thing?

17. bturner032002 says: Aug 16, 2011 8:31 AM

rex ryan is 98% body fat

18. geauxjay says: Aug 16, 2011 8:46 AM

God, It’s never going to not be about the Jets, is it?

19. ptcraddock says: Aug 16, 2011 9:00 AM

Why is meaningless fodder used for filler in an article to show Mark shirtless being reported by ESPN on the bottom line like its news?

20. goawayeverybody says: Aug 16, 2011 9:08 AM

After watching McIlroy yesterday, I’m thinking he might have a better shot at leading this team to the promised land than Sanchez. If Sanchez doesn’t have a breakout season this year, then he’s never going to have a breakout season and it will be time to move on.

21. supashug says: Aug 16, 2011 9:26 AM

I doubt the doc is asking for referrals for the weight loss surgery

22. ampats says: Aug 16, 2011 9:41 AM

goawayeverybody

Afetr watching McIlroy yesterday, I’m thinking he might have a better shot leading this team to the promised land than Sanchez.

Don’t look now but we have a lucid jets fan posting comments

23. drgfri says: Aug 16, 2011 10:02 AM

Slimmed down is definitely relative here…

24. drgfri says: Aug 16, 2011 10:19 AM

RexCanCoach may be the biggest Jets homer ever. Time to take some haloperidol. Anyone can go 6 of 7 when they are throwing 5 yard dump-offs. Sanchez is gonna fold? I certainly think so. Especially now that High School is starting up again…. BIG distraction!

25. bturner032002 says: Aug 16, 2011 10:39 AM

i feel sorry for those shoes when he lands that 8″ jump

26. paulbrownsrevenge says: Aug 16, 2011 10:41 AM

The Jets have a great team, but they will never make it to the superbowl will Sanchez and his 59.1 QB rating. The defense will win games for that team, but if you cant score forget the superbowl. Get a quarterback NY, before your window closes.

27. rectumnearlykilledem says: Aug 16, 2011 10:41 AM

Sanchez is one of those guys who continuously says, “I’m a leader” but is more of clown. Dating high school girls, wanting to fight his coach and sucking on the field. The kid needs to grow up.

28. paulbrownsrevenge says: Aug 16, 2011 10:42 AM

According to a stats bureau, Sanchez led the league in dropped potential INT’s. 15 total, That’s 6 higher than the next QB. He’s average at best folks.

29. drunkendegenerate says: Aug 16, 2011 10:54 AM

@ paulbrownsrevenge

Please. 3rd year, 24 year old QB. You have no idea what you’re talking about, pal. You are lost.

30. blackbug99 says: Aug 16, 2011 11:00 AM

Me thinks the Jets just like to hear their own voices, alot!!

31. madsqgrdn says: Aug 16, 2011 11:06 AM

@ paulbrownsrevenge

drunkendegenerate

To understand where “paul brown” is coming from you must first realize that he is probably a Cleveland brown fan. Cleveland as you know traded us the rights to the 5th pick so we can take sanchez. (also Braylon edwards later on)

If I was a Brown fan and we had traded away a playoff winner like sanchez..one that beat Peyton manning in the final seconds..and one that beat the vaunted Patriots handily (and has a winning record against the pats of 3 and 2 how many other qbs can say that?) I would use what ever stat I could to make sanchez look average.

I mean they traded his rights for abe elam the 21 pick and a couple of retired linemen..and they NEEDED a QB..yeah guys its ok ..hes average.

32. scudbot says: Aug 16, 2011 11:09 AM

RexCanCoach says: “6-7 passing. Improvement this year? I think so!” For 43 yards. Tebow went 6-7, 91 yards. So your opinion is that Taco has improved to the point that he’s not as good as Tebow.

33. tatum064 says: Aug 16, 2011 11:39 AM

rectumnearlykilledem says:
    Aug 16, 2011 10:41 AM
    ===================================
    Two years, and two AFC Championship appearances.

You’re kidding , right?

34. alphaq2 says: Aug 16, 2011 11:48 AM

I love how everyone thinks Rex is tough. Is it because his old man would throw girly looking haymakers on the sidelines? Sanchez would destroy the fat old man. End of story.

35. kevinfromphilly says: Aug 16, 2011 2:03 PM

“I love how everyone thinks Rex is tough. Is it because his old man would throw girly looking haymakers on the sidelines?”

His Dad was a Marine in WW II. If Rex is half as tough as his old man, he’d break Sanchez like a china doll.

36. alphaq2 says: Aug 16, 2011 2:50 PM

@kevinfromphilly

Do you really think an obese old man could hang in a fight with a mid 20′s 225lb professional athlete? Rex would have a freaking heart attack or break into a seizure 20 seconds into it, if it even lasted that long. And marine or not, his old man did look like a chick when he threw punches.

37. nesuperfan says: Aug 16, 2011 3:40 PM

I don’t think Rexy would stand a chance against a strong, young guy, unless…they were fighting over a hoagie. Then Sanchez might lose an arm grabbing for it.

38. monropoobah says: Aug 16, 2011 6:49 PM

iflounder says:
    Aug 16, 2011 7:30 AM

what i’d like to know is how 66 of you people gave this a thumbs up. i understand hating the jets; i don’t hate them but i sortof understand.. i also understand hating rex; i don’t hate him either, but if you’re not a jet fan….
    but even so, this comment is neither funny nor interesting. so what’s with that?

39. monropoobah says: Aug 16, 2011 6:50 PM