Today’s breaking NFL news from ESPN is neither breaking nor news

Arizona Cardinals Training Camp Getty Images

I’ve taken the high road lately when it comes to twisting the tail of ESPN.  I’m not sure why.  I’ve probably just gotten bored with it.

Sure, we’ll point out the outlandish things ESPN analysts say, but in my own (possibly warped) mind that’s different from taking on the ESPN establishment.

Last night, I took a bit of a backhanded slap at the Monday Night Countdown quota-filling item from Adam Schefter regarding the contract of Cardinals receiver Larry Fitzgerald.  Schefter explained, with the sort of nearly breathless urgency that characterizes breaking news, that Fitzgerald can’t be subject to the franchise tag when his contract expires after the 2011 season.

Of course, anyone who follows PFT (or who watched the August 2 PFT Live interview with Cardinals G.M. Rod Graves) knows that it isn’t news.  Indeed, as of August 2, it was an established fact.  (The key clip from the August 2 interview appears below.)

In fact, I found in the PFT archives reference to a no-franchise, no-trade clause in Fitzgerald’s contract as early as October 8, 2010.

The current question isn’t whether the Cardinals can use the franchise tag on Fitzgerald, but whether they will be able to achieve their goal of extending his contract before the regular season begins.

But that isn’t news, either, since Graves said it two weeks ago.

I was going to let it all go, until I noticed on the ESPN crawl this morning the following item:  “Cardinals WR Larry Fitzgerald’s contract includes clause that prevents team from using franchise tag on him next season, sources tell ESPN’s Adam Schefter.”

To borrow a quote (with full attribution) from some of the other talking heads on Monday Night Countdown, “C’mon man!”

This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Permalink 30 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Arizona Cardinals, Home, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors
30 Responses to “Today’s breaking NFL news from ESPN is neither breaking nor news”
  1. sasquatchery says: Aug 16, 2011 8:14 AM

didn’t you guys get butt hurt a couple weeks ago because a reader insisted that they get credit for sending you a story?

sounds like somebody didn’t get their gold star for the day.

here you go, little buddy…

2. chopblocked says: Aug 16, 2011 8:19 AM

As a fellow content slave I would have thought you would have given ol’ Adam some slack.

3. packers87 says: Aug 16, 2011 8:30 AM

Hasn’t this been common knowledge for the past couple of years?

4. hank10 says: Aug 16, 2011 8:31 AM

‘The World Wide Leader’ stopped being relevant ten years ago. All hype, little substance. The empty calories of media sports ‘reporting’.

5. kevin3142 says: Aug 16, 2011 8:31 AM

It was news for me…. I didn’t know it

6. flyerscup2010 says: Aug 16, 2011 8:40 AM

my sources tell me ESPN’s adam schefter’s sources are solid

7. readysethike says: Aug 16, 2011 8:45 AM

Schefter use to be credible and respected when he was working for the NFL network, now not so much

8. mywifegavemecrabtree says: Aug 16, 2011 8:50 AM

ESPN feels the heat from other outlets. I think they are surprised to find at this point their goal of being a monopoly in sports broadcasting is not only challenged, but not obtainable. (i.e., loss in bidding for future Olympic rights) They obviously have no clue of the public perception of their talent which many of us feel is simply cartoonish. The NFL network can get a little goofy with some of their comments (see Jamie Dukes) but the difference is they have others like Rich Eisen to try and pull everyone in line. When Adam Shefter takes credit for breaking a story that Jay Glazier breaks, or states incorrect facts, he gets backslapped and praise from the other talking heads (Greenberg is the absolute worst.)
    ESPN is not concerned about being right, just first. It will only get worse. Why do I watch? Well, I don’t much anymore. Especially after I leave the house in the morning. And< there are times when it's just unavoidable. Sometime bad tv is like driving by an accident. You can't help but look. And….it's just sports. It's not like they are breaking down the nation's economic crises. Now that would be a real disaster.

9. luckysunday20 says: Aug 16, 2011 8:53 AM

ESPN is basically the Walmart of sports news these day a lot of variety no quality what so ever.

10. hawkjuice says: Aug 16, 2011 9:08 AM

Espn is pretty much just noise to have on your t.v. so its not too quiet. They really just repeat what eachother say its rarely informative.

11. jw731 says: Aug 16, 2011 9:12 AM

Shouldn’t Kent Summers of the Arizona Republic be the one who has his panties in a bunch? Since in the referenced October article, he’s the one who actually did the due dilligence in reporting the story? As you stated, he broke it down…

12. buckeye044 says: Aug 16, 2011 9:13 AM

Unfortunately ESPIN is no longer in the business of reporting news. Their selective reporting, rumor mongering and self advertising/self promotion make them unwatchable and unlistenable with the exception of live games.

13. tntitansfan10 says: Aug 16, 2011 9:16 AM

Breaking news- nobody cares

14. myspaceyourface says: Aug 16, 2011 9:18 AM

Key Word is ENTERTAINMENT . . . Since they were bought by Disney it has been a comedy show over sports. Which reporter has the coolest one-liner.

I wish another national sports channel would rise up.

15. thephantomstranger says: Aug 16, 2011 9:28 AM

I don’t know how I found this out, nor do I care (gasp!), but I’ve known this for at least a year. Why else would I continue to predict that Fitzy will be a Viking next year?

16. jerm867 says: Aug 16, 2011 9:29 AM

I wish the people who complain about EHSPIN would just stop watching it cause they know the majority of it is garbage filler.

It’s like the Madden of video games. No big competition (or in the case of Madden, no competition) and they tweak one thing (that is actually crap) and then try to present it as a delectable piece of information.

I can’t be the only one who sees this…

17. hank10 says: Aug 16, 2011 9:30 AM

buckeye044 says: Aug 16, 2011 9:13 AM

————————————

With a lot of their play-by-play and color guys, live game broadcasts can be unwatchable, too.

18. TheDPR says: Aug 16, 2011 9:32 AM

People still watch ESPN?

19. ianwhetstone says: Aug 16, 2011 9:38 AM

And Jimmy Halsell referenced the no-franchise clause in Fitzgerald’s contract on his blog way back in January 2009. I haven’t see you tripping over yourself to give him proper attribution, as you are so quick to lambast ESPN for not doing.

20. cliverush says: Aug 16, 2011 9:45 AM

The entertainment industry owns the sports industry so we are going to continue to receive sub-standard reporting and coverage of the games. When a viewer is not allowed time to view who is on the field in favor of some relative of a player in the stands then we lose. When a slight personal story or one player becomes the focus of the broadcast, we lose. When the talking heads, former jocks, talk down to the fan we lose. This whole mess needs to be cleaned up. A good start would be to ban any Syracuse grads from entering a studio, then maybe the situation will begin to focus on the game being broadcast.

21. seneca1ss says: Aug 16, 2011 9:48 AM

ESPN: We’re too big to fail

22. reidstinks says: Aug 16, 2011 9:48 AM

ESPN Jumped The Shark

23. sportsdrenched says: Aug 16, 2011 10:01 AM

I’m still waiting for Mike Shanahan to be the HC of the Chiefs. As reported by Chris Mortenson in April three years ago.

That’s when I began to ignore ESPN and their crack team of investigative “journalists”.

I know there’s preasure to produce content when you have 3 24 hours networks….but some should remember: Repeated relevant content, or no content at all, is better than inaccurate and frivilous content.

24. phillycheez says: Aug 16, 2011 10:13 AM

ESPN has clearly gotten too big for their own good, and the good of sports. When they go from reporting and broadcasting to changing the landscape of conferences and rules of the game to suit their own agenda at the expense of the game, then they just need to go away. In my humble opinion, the league would be better off without their billions. We would have a lot less self-important egomaniacs and more ballplayers.

25. mwasko78 says: Aug 16, 2011 10:27 AM

We get it, you are the man. Are you going to take your toys and go home now? Pretty sure this wasn’t news the day he signed the contract 3 years ago.

26. arzcardinals says: Aug 16, 2011 11:18 AM

Sorry to tell YOU but AZCentral.com (Arizona’s main paper) posted the contract details firtst. They were a full day ahead of you. As I remember you almost copied their article ver batum.

Easy on the 1st’s kido

27. wheresmyjuice says: Aug 16, 2011 11:26 AM

myspaceyourface says:
    Aug 16, 2011 9:18 AM

I wish another national sports channel would rise up.

————————————————–

Good to see I’m not the only one that clearly recognized the Disney acquisition as the transition point. I know it’s just sports but it still makes me want to burn a cattle prod in my eyeball. They bastardized a pure passion of many and have ignored the diehards – since they’ll be there anyway – in an attempt to gain the casual viewer.

ESPN has ruined sports in this country in the traditional American way…Instead of being happy w/ a profit, maximizing revenue w/ no regard for integrity.

28. izzylangfan says: Aug 16, 2011 11:28 AM

What also isn’t breaking news is that Adam Schefter doesn’t know anything really. He never knows anything but he has mastered the art of sounding like he has urgent news. Add Sal Palantonio to the list of egoistic schmucks that like to sound self important. They don’t know anything, they never have known anything and they never will know anything. Why is it that they have any credibility at all?

29. blackstonevalleykettlebells says: Aug 16, 2011 12:40 PM

Adam “Schefty” Schefter is a fraud. There is nothing worse than listening to him and Greenberg and their prattle. I can’t believe Golic has killed Greenberg yet. Peter King maybe sanctimonious and pontificating, but at least he has connections and know his stuff. Schefter is just a smug no nothing.
    ESPN is unwatchable.

30. depotnator says: Aug 16, 2011 1:14 PM

PFT content is neither breaking news or news – it repeats news from other sources.What is the big deal?