Hines Ward: 1,000th career catch would mean a lot

Super Bowl Football AP

Steelers receiver Hines Ward has 954 career catches, so midway through the 2011 season he’s likely to become the eighth player in NFL history to reach 1,000. Ward doesn’t talk a lot about his personal statistics, but he makes no secret of the fact that getting 1,000 would mean a lot to him.

That would be awesome to get 1,000 catches and do it all for one organization,” Ward said. “It wasn’t like I’m in a prolific passing offense, it’s not like I’m playing in a dome. I think it’s just a milestone of consistency I’ve had my whole career and just being there. That would be huge.”

Ward called the 1,000-catch mark “like 3,000 hits, 600 home runs,” but there are more baseball players who have reached those two marks (28 have 3,000 hits and eight have 600 home runs) than there are NFL players who have reached 1,000 catches. The difference is that in baseball those numbers have been yardsticks of greatness for decades, whereas in the NFL no one ever even approached the mark until Jerry Rice passed it in the 1990s.

Rice’s career total of 1,549 catches won’t be topped any time soon, but Ward has a real chance of passing Marvin Harrison, who’s No. 2 all-time with 1,102 catches. (Falcons tight end Tony Gonzalez, who’s currently at 1,069, will likely pass Harrison first.)

Ward thinks he has at least a couple more good seasons left in him, so he should keep climbing the receiving charts.

“I know I’m getting older,” Ward said, “but I’m in great condition, I look crisp out there, I feel good. It’s a matter of staying healthy for 16 games.”

If Ward does stay healthy for 16 games, he’s virtually assured of catching his 1,000th pass.

Permalink 60 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
60 Responses to “Hines Ward: 1,000th career catch would mean a lot”
  1. japdouds says: Aug 17, 2011 8:40 AM

HALL OF FAMER!

The fact that Ward put up the stats that he has despite playing in a run heavy offense during his prime, playing outdoors in bad weather, and half of his career he was catching passes from Tommy Maddox and Kordell Stewart makes it even better.

Hines is on pace to retire with 1100 catches, 13,000 yards, and 90 TD’s. That puts him in rare company.

2. twitter:Chapman_Jamie says: Aug 17, 2011 8:42 AM

Hey Hines, 1000 career catches would mean a lot for every single WR who ever steps onto an NFL field. yawn…

3. bradentonbuc says: Aug 17, 2011 8:43 AM

Good luck Hines! Tell Kim Hello

4. jw731 says: Aug 17, 2011 8:44 AM

He also hopes to accomplish another personal milestone…..A breathalyzer score of less than 0.08 the next time he gets pulled over……

5. bengalsown says: Aug 17, 2011 8:48 AM

It would mean so much to him, that he would pound a 12 pack after the game in celebration, and then drive home.

6. b7p19 says: Aug 17, 2011 8:49 AM

So does that mean Hines Ward used steroids?

7. joelvis72 says: Aug 17, 2011 8:52 AM

(hiccup!)

8. spungy says: Aug 17, 2011 8:54 AM

I’m sure it would be enough to bring a tear to his eye.

9. havoksports says: Aug 17, 2011 8:55 AM

I’ll Be the first to admit it i respect, hines ward as a player as a person and as a professional. He played the game the right way, worked hard and showed that a 3rd round pick who wasn’t the biggest or fastest can be a great player for a long time. Let it be know its hard ot say these kind (yet true) words about a steeler being a browns fan. But i can only hope the browns can have players like him.

Good luck on getting your 1,000th catch…just not against the browns…plz

10. dasportsninja says: Aug 17, 2011 9:10 AM

What exactly would you expect him to say. This is headline news material?

11. anactualnflowner says: Aug 17, 2011 9:12 AM

Unless he has an incentive in his contract for 1000 receptions, then I have no idea why 1,000 receptions means anything other than a round number. Sure he has caught a lot of balls, but I think that 1,000 receptions is only one reception better than 999. If he has accomplished enough in his career where he uses these small milestones as motivation than I’m all for it, but he should know that nobody is going to remember him for 1,000 receptions. They’ll remember him for his bad ass blocking and the ear-to-ear smile that never leaves his face when he puts his helmet on.

12. holeinone09 says: Aug 17, 2011 9:19 AM

We have been extremely fortunate to have Hines on our team. He is blue collar worker, as tough as they come, and a perfect fit for the Pittsburgh Steelers. I completely agree with japdouds assessment. Hines has not had a great QB to throw to him for a big portion of his career, played outdoors in terrible weather, played for a primarily run-oriented team, is not the biggest WR out there, and yet will catch over 1,000 passes.

He should end up in the HOF. He is the epitome of a classic hard-nosed successful loyal football player. And anyone out there would have been delighted if Hines played on their team all these years, so be honest, show your football knowledge, and don’t lie about that. The haters only hate him because he plays for the Steelers.

GO STEELERS!!

13. joeinoh says: Aug 17, 2011 9:20 AM

1000 catches in a season?! Whines Hard would definitely be considered for the HOF regardless of how dirty a player he is.

14. mitchitized says: Aug 17, 2011 9:29 AM

My favorite punchline from him was when they asked him if his advancing age was going to cost him a step. He laughed and said more or less that he was a young, slow receiver, and now he’s an older, slow receiver. There was no quickness to lose, so his game hasn’t suffered.

He really is a perfect example of an athlete doing whatever it takes to make the field and contribute at a high level, and his commitment and work ethic cannot be questioned by now.

15. southflsteel says: Aug 17, 2011 9:31 AM

God I love this guy!!!!!!! True Steeler through and though! Plays the game the way it was meant to be played and makes rival fans cry! What’s not to love!!!

16. cliverush says: Aug 17, 2011 9:40 AM

Hate him because he’s a Steeler, but admire and respect him because he is a true football player who plays every game hard.

17. bcjim says: Aug 17, 2011 9:45 AM

Maybe he can also get to 1000 dirty and unnecessary hits.

18. rmm1984 says: Aug 17, 2011 9:55 AM

Before this offseason he was top 5 for me as far as my all time favorite Steelers. Could’ve done without dancing with the stars and of course the D.U.I. but on the field he’s always been a total beast.

19. watermelon1 says: Aug 17, 2011 9:59 AM

I’d also have to add Derrick Mason’s name to the short list. He’s got 924 receptions going into this season, and he looks to have a lot more left in him than Hines Ward does… Hines has looked awfully slow and pretty pudgy the last couple seasons.

20. rmm1984 says: Aug 17, 2011 10:08 AM

And there’s a difference between playing dirty and hitting players who are either being lazy and giving up on a play, or not paying attention.

21. rmm1984 says: Aug 17, 2011 10:14 AM

watermelon – I agree Mason is often overlooked but he hasn’t really looked any better than Ward lately.

Last 2 seasons

Mason has 134 receptions, 1830 yds, 14 tds.

Ward has 154 rec, 1922 yds, 11TD.

Pretty even.

22. 3octaveFart says: Aug 17, 2011 10:14 AM

Limas Sweed was just released…

23. 3octaveFart says: Aug 17, 2011 10:15 AM

bcjim says: Aug 17, 2011 9:45 AM

“Maybe he can also get to 1000 dirty and unnecessary hits.”

Ward brings the wood, while your WR’s run out of bounds…

24. flagstaffphotos says: Aug 17, 2011 10:15 AM

The other milestone he is going after this year would put him atop the NFL record books – breaking Keith Rivers’ jaw for a second time.

The current record is one.

25. bunkmcnulty says: Aug 17, 2011 10:22 AM

Despite being a Ravens Fan I feel I can be objective. Ward is tough, dependable and clutch. I grant that. And you all forgot to mention he has played his career on that terrible field too. I think his sense of toughness relates well to your city and the persona of many if your fans. Compared to the many HOF players from your team, I see him as more borderline HOF. But he may get there.

But in all this objectivity, I have never seen one Steeler fan call him out for his cheap shots. And I don’t want to hear I don’t know the game of football. You play to the whistle. I get that and support it. But he has spent his career lining up people on the weak side, away from the play, and laying them out (and yes, he also gets involved in the action too, but his “cheap” shots imho are away from the play). Before the whistle yes. Necessary, no! And sure, it helps you all feed your bravado and makes for nice youtube clips. And I already know that Steeler people feel they know more than anyone else (self deception, but true). So I am sure I will hear every possible argument he played within the rules. None of that makes his hits any less cheap.

The rest of us football fans who are not Steelers fans but can see his positive traits, unfortunately see part of his solid career is stained by his cheap shots too.

Swan and Stallworth he is not. But all HOF’r anyway? Not sure.

26. steelerfannomatterwhat says: Aug 17, 2011 10:29 AM

If Hines Ward is such a “dirty player”, how come he has never been fined for his hits EVER? All of his hits are in the field of play. If Safetys can hit receivers when they are looking at the ball, why can’t a WR hit a defender when they are looking at the ball? Not his fault that most WRs are a bunch of pansies.

By the way……Ward was never given a breath test for his DUI. He failed a sobriety test but how can you blame him for that after being on Dancing With The Stars for so long. His toes were still twinkling.

27. gregjennings85 says: Aug 17, 2011 10:34 AM

I hope the Bengals’ Keith Rivers breaks Ward’s jaw in week 10 @ Cincy, leaving Hines at 35 catches on the year.

Hopefull, then Ward is on IR for 2011, and is cut prior to next season.

28. steelerfannomatterwhat says: Aug 17, 2011 10:36 AM

Look back at the 70s and early 80s where you have some of the dirties players in NFL history that played and some are even in the Hall of Fame now. They make Hines Ward look like a powder puff. A big part of football is the intimidation factor. You want receivers running over the middle worrying about the LB or Safety hitting them and you want defenders wandering around worrying about a hit from a blocker. Are some of these shots cheap? Probably, but it is part of the game. Ray Lewis explained it best when he said that these so called “cheap shots” are used as inspiration to young players in the film room to excel on the field. It is part of the game. Look at the cheap shots that Ben took last year in Baltimore and against the Raiders. Sure, he deserved some of them but they were “cheap shots” too.

29. holeinone09 says: Aug 17, 2011 10:43 AM

bunkmcnulty, appreciate your comments. The issue of cheap shots appears to be more personal opinion than fact. Fact is, during his career, Hines has not been called for a significant amount of such penalties, nor has been fined for such matters. No doubt, he has absolutely clobbered a few opponents with hits from out of nowhere that have gotten a lot of publicity, including Raven players. But, it is merely opinion if they were “cheap”. If a player is not looking and gets hit, that is not the fault of the hitter. Even if some hits were borderline or in fact actually cheap, how can anyone say his career was ‘stained’? To be stained, it would have to be a significant amount and many penalized by the league. To me, I think the rivalry between our teams is causing you to make such a statement, and that is somewhat understandable frankly. But that doesn’t make your statements accurate.

Further, to my knowledge, Hines has never put a bounty on anyone’s head, like some other players have allegedly done, or is that merely opinion too?

Good luck this year, looking forward to the opener.

GO STEELERS!!

30. steelerfannomatterwhat says: Aug 17, 2011 10:45 AM

gregjennings85 says:
    Aug 17, 2011 10:34 AM

Hopefull, then Ward is on IR for 2011, and is cut prior to next season.

——————————————————
    You should first hope that Keith Rivers does not join his jailbird teammates in prison before Week 10.

31. mmmpieyummy says: Aug 17, 2011 10:45 AM

“It wasn’t like I’m in a prolific passing offense, it’s not like I’m playing in a dome.”

Nice cheap shot at both his own team and Marvin Harrison. What a tool…typical Stooler with the me-first attitude. Career-ender would be good right about now.

32. carnboys says: Aug 17, 2011 10:49 AM

Hines Ward good foot ball player. Maybe Hall of Fame. I hope someone knocks that smile off his whinning face.

Go Ravens!!

See you on September 11,2011.

33. steelerfannomatterwhat says: Aug 17, 2011 10:51 AM

mmmpieyummy says:
    Aug 17, 2011 10:45 AM

—————————————————-
    How is that a cheap shot at Marvin Harrison? Because he played in a dome? Why not Randy Moss? Why not Issac Bruce and Torry Holt? Why not Steve Largent? Come out of your dome for a while.

34. steelerfannomatterwhat says: Aug 17, 2011 10:54 AM

rmm1984 says:
    Aug 17, 2011 10:08 AM

—————————————————–
    Well perhaps they should not be lazy, should not give up on a play and pay attention. I mean, cmon, what kind of excuse is that?

35. jacksaysfu says: Aug 17, 2011 11:00 AM

Im an Eagles fan and we have a great recieving core right now , but Ill be honest if Hines was available I would get him in a second . He searches for guys to hit , he goes hard every play ,great locker room guy and he’s the definition of consistency . I was born hating the Steelers , but this guy was and is a great football player , not so much for his talent but for him love for the game . Ward IMO should be a first ballot HOF .

36. svcfilmguy says: Aug 17, 2011 11:00 AM

1,000 catches would be quite an accomplishment. However, it’s largely symbolic. 954 catches is also impressive.

Regarding his physicality, wasn’t it great when Bart Scott complained about it? A trash-talking LINEBACKER complained about a guy playing a skill position. How great was that? If I were Scott, I never would have opened my mouth. Have some pride, tough guy.

37. carnboys says: Aug 17, 2011 11:01 AM

Hines ward(Smiley) is a good receiver in the red zone and not scared to catch the ball over the middle.

See you September 11,2011

Go Ravens.

38. jacksaysfu says: Aug 17, 2011 11:01 AM

Im an Eagles fan and we have a great recieving core right now , but Ill be honest if Hines was available I would get him in a second . He searches for guys to hit , he goes hard every play ,great locker room guy and he’s the definition of consistency . I was born hating the Steelers , but this guy was and is a great football player , not so much for his talent but for the love of the game . Ward , IMO should be a first ballot HOF .

39. jamaltimore says: Aug 17, 2011 11:07 AM

Hines ward is the most overated receiver out there. He plays for a dirty team and he’s a dirty player so he is loved by their DIRTY fans!

He approached his DUI charge the same way he try’s to laugh off his cheapshots on the football field acting like he did nothing wrong when in fact everyone else watching knows he did. Can’t wait till the drunk dancer’s video arrest hit’s you tube!

40. mrhojorisin says: Aug 17, 2011 11:09 AM

I get a kick out of Ravens fans making claims about cheap shots and dirty players. I remember a few years ago, in the pregame before a Steelers-Ravens game, the camera and mic catching Ray Lewis charging up the defense with a “when you knock someone down, make sure they don’t get up” type of speech. Two plays in, Rashard Mendenhall was done for the season with a broken collar bone. But I guess that was OK because the damage was done by a defensive player, huh?

41. mrhojorisin says: Aug 17, 2011 11:12 AM

Sorry, it was Mendenhall’s shoulder that Lewis broke, not his collar bone.

42. fancyleague says: Aug 17, 2011 11:15 AM

Oh, he really is talking about receptions. I thought “catch” was a euphemism for “Raven player knocked out”. He’s pretty close to a thousand of those too.

43. henrykissingerisgod says: Aug 17, 2011 11:15 AM

Hines Ward, the second best playoff wide receiver in the history of the nfl.

44. rmm1984 says: Aug 17, 2011 11:25 AM

steelerfannomatterwhat:

That’s the point I was making… The players he’s hitting should be paying attention. It’s not like he’s aiming for knees or anything.

45. rmm1984 says: Aug 17, 2011 11:28 AM

mmmpieyummy says:
    Aug 17, 2011 10:45 AM

——————————————————

You called someone a tool then wished for a career ending injury? What does that make you? Also, saying that the Steelers have a me first attitude, is that something you just made up? I’ve never heard too much of that, and I doubt they’d be as successful if it was true.

46. holeinone09 says: Aug 17, 2011 11:37 AM

@jamaltimore says:
    Aug 17, 2011 11:07 AM

*********

jamaltimore, have you EVER made ONE post on PFT that was even reasonably accurate and honest? Your hatred for anything/anybody other than the Ravens clearly shapes every comment you make. If he is “the most overated receiver”, what does that mean? Overrated on what basis? He will have over 1,000 receptions, he has not missed many games in his career, was a Super Bowl MVP, he is WELL KNOWN AND PROVEN to be one of the best blocking WRs in the league. What is he “overrated” on? You can hate the Steelers, their players, their fans, the city, the mayor, the stadium and anything else that has “Pittsburgh” in it. But your complete lack of ANY credibility in being able to HONESTLY and FACTUALLY discuss football issues is obvious to anyone reading these threads. There are many Ravens fans that make you look like a fool, with their ability to discuss issues. But in any event, have a nice day.

GO STEELERS!!

47. ghostrider45 says: Aug 17, 2011 11:47 AM

48. bunkmcnulty says: Aug 17, 2011 12:16 PM

Holeinone09,

Save your breath regarding jamal. You forget they let middle schoolers access this site too.

Thanks for your post. Keep in mind, having jaded opinions cuts both ways. Perhaps because of my rooting interest I may see more of Ward’s out of the action hits as cheap. Likewise, I would say your rooting interest have the ability to impact your opinions too. I have a pretty good history on my posts here of being fair. I call out my team (Suggs for running his mouth mostly), I have defended Ben (said he was stupid, not criminal), and have admonished my own team’s fans for blaming officials (bottom line, teams have to overcome bad calls).

My basis for defining these shots as cheap, without writing a novel is…”were they necessary?” On the other side of the field and off the play the answer is clearly “NO.” I could give you more to describe why this is true to defend this opinion, but no one wants to hear it.

49. 3octaveFart says: Aug 17, 2011 12:22 PM

ghostrider45 says: Aug 17, 2011 11:47 AM

” I hope he gets his jaw broke by a cheap shot…….would be sweet justic2,e. Just saying :)”

Any fan who wishes physical harm to a player is a sub-moronic, infantile, little dickweasal.

Just saying :)

50. enders9 says: Aug 17, 2011 12:51 PM

steelerfannomatterwhat says: Aug 17, 2011 10:45 AM

gregjennings85 says:
    Aug 17, 2011 10:34 AM

Hopefull, then Ward is on IR for 2011, and is cut prior to next season.

——————————————————

——————————————-

He’d be joining his jailbird teammates plus the drunk driving Ward.

51. enders9 says: Aug 17, 2011 12:58 PM

jacksaysfu says: Aug 17, 2011 11:01 AM

Ward , IMO should be a first ballot HOF

——————————————

First ballot? lolno.

But he will likely make the HOF.

52. kyleortonsarm says: Aug 17, 2011 1:09 PM

If Ward doesn’t murder anyone with his car while drunk driving he’s almost guaranteed to still be on a team with no class, talent or ability.

53. mataug says: Aug 17, 2011 1:11 PM

I really hate the Steelers but if I ever looked at him as a neutral, I will have to admit that Ward is the kind of player I will love to see on my team. Most importantly he’s not a slouch and plays the game with a smile on his face.

54. holeinone09 says: Aug 17, 2011 1:44 PM

bunkmcnulty, fair enough. We can respectfully disagree. I will say this in closing. When I played football in school, the coaches taught you to play until the whistle blows, no matter where you are on the field. You keep blocking, you keep running, you keep pursuing. And you pay attention. You never know what might happen.

Pleasure intelligently conversing with a fan of the Ravens. Looking forward to watching at least games in what arguably is the best rivalry in the NFL. Two very similar teams.

GO STEELERS!!

55. contract says: Aug 18, 2011 6:58 AM

“I hope he gets his jaw broke by a cheap shot…”

Ward would just play with the broken jaw instead of whining about it.

56. contract says: Aug 18, 2011 7:07 AM

“My basis for defining these shots as cheap, without writing a novel is…”were they necessary?””

Since a big part of football is breaking your opponents will to win, every legal hit is a necessary hit … and the harder the better. You hit your opponent as hard as you can as often as you’re allowed, until his mind is occupied with looking out for the next shot instead of focusing on his assignment.

That is football.

57. bigbenrapedhinesward says: Aug 18, 2011 12:03 PM

What’s that I smell on your breathe Hines? Liquor? …. No. Is it ketchup? Nope not quite… Ahhh PENIS!!! probably big bens.

58. packmanfan says: Aug 18, 2011 4:45 PM

Stealers players can’t count that high.
    Highest they can count is 6.
    Lucky he’s got stats guys who can count past 6.

He’s lucky he never had BrINT Fail throwing to him.
    He’d be nowhere near that record.
    He’d still be trying to get to 10 catches.

59. bunkmcnulty says: Aug 18, 2011 5:04 PM

Contract –
    I agree with breaking your opponents will. It is still unnecessary when Ward does this away from the play. Here is one version of why. When he is on opposite side of the field he would serve his team far better to run to the area of the play and peel off defenders closer to the play. Instead, Ward ignores the play in lieu of lighting up someone for the sake of lighting them up… far away from the play and potentially helping his team. And don’t tell me he doesn’t do this. I have seen it time and time again.

The play where he broke Rivers jaw, I am ok with. That was in the flow of the play. Look, the guy is a good ball player. He takes shots that are absolutely unnecessary. Away from the play and not even in pursuit of the play, his shots are selfish and bush.

60. dmobey says: Aug 18, 2011 8:26 PM