No. 1 pick not an easy decision in fantasy football

Yeah, Chris Johnson’s holdout is a big problem for the Titans.

But it’s really a big problem for fantasy leaguers who don’t know whether to take him near the top of their fantasy drafts. This is a year where the No. 1 pick is unsettled.

Rotoworld’s online draft guide lists Arian Foster as our top pick, but a strong case could be made for Johnson, Adrian Peterson, Jamaal Charles, and even Michael Vick.

We’ve been updating our award-winning draft guide daily with new rankings, projections, columns, and tiers as training camp wears on. And thanks for reading our brief infomercial.  It helps pay for my awesome wardrobe below.

(If you’re interested in more fantasy videos, head to the NBC video player.)

Permalink 29 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill
29 Responses to “No. 1 pick not an easy decision in fantasy football”
  1. jh500 says: Aug 17, 2011 3:30 PM

Want to win? Take Michael Vick.

2. mrizzo44 says: Aug 17, 2011 3:31 PM

I’d honestly have a hard time NOT taking Jamaal Charles #1.

Peterson is so talented, and I’d probably take him first….but the Vikings are so bad.

Johnson may or may not miss games….and again, the Titans are terrible.

Foster had a great year, but he came out of nowhere. Jamaal is a more proven commodity at this point.

3. thephantomstranger says: Aug 17, 2011 3:31 PM

Adrian Peterson is the guy. He’s been a top-4 RB each of his four years in the league. He does well with good quarterbacks and bad quarterbacks. He doesn’t have the best offensive line but it’s better than last year when it was decimated by injuries. The new coaching staff will emphasize the run and get him more involved in the passing game. He probably won’t wind up being the highest scoring player at the end of the season, but there’s less risk for him than any of those other guys. I’d go Vick #2.

4. comeonnowguys says: Aug 17, 2011 3:32 PM

I have CJ and Jamaal Charles in a 2-keeper league. This holdout is just enough to make me a tad nervous.

5. kevpft says: Aug 17, 2011 3:41 PM

Fantasy football is such an incredibly lame thing.

I know it’s a trollish-sounding thing to say, but it’s true.

Watch the games. Root for a team. Follow a team and enjoy their ups and downs. Fantasy Football is a stupid distraction from the reality of what a team sport means.

And really, it’s just a particularly sad way to be using your precious time on Earth. Even sadder than me commenting here. And that’s already pretty sad.

6. mrizzo44 says: Aug 17, 2011 3:48 PM

comeonnowguys says: Aug 17, 2011 3:32 PM

———————————————-

Both of them? Wow. That’s nice.

I have Rodgers and CJ in a 1-keeper league. The holdout…and his attitude in general….is enough to make me keep Rodgers.

7. bsreimer says: Aug 17, 2011 3:54 PM

Can Aaron Rodgers get some goddamn love on this site?!? Christ

8. fertacrit says: Aug 17, 2011 3:57 PM

AP is #1. How many times do we have to see a guys hold out, just to blow out 2 games into it with a season ending injury before everone starts catching on. This year it is even more magnafied by the lockout mainly because they are not in shape. AP is in a contract year, Musgrave has said that he will cater the offensive scheme to the players (Childress/Bevell were the total opposite). So I expect big year from him. McNabb will be better, he was in a diseased situation last year with Shamahan (yes I meant to spell it like that) Just look at how he has been so far this year. So the passing game will not be as bad as everyone seems to think. But I digress…Charles, Foster, Rice are all a better bet than CJ at this point. IMO. But I will be bidding up CJ up in my draft, just to make someone waste more money on him.

9. darthobama says: Aug 17, 2011 3:58 PM

Kevpft…ur right…u are a troll…

10. dbellina says: Aug 17, 2011 4:01 PM

Instead of taking a chance on a guy that might not return to his form from last year, why not take the guy that has finished in top five since he entered the league?

Adrian Peterson has been one of the most consistent running backs in both fantasy football and the NFL itself since 2007.

11. thephantomstranger says: Aug 17, 2011 4:04 PM

kevpft says:
    Aug 17, 2011 3:41 PM
    Fantasy football is such an incredibly lame thing.

I know it’s a trollish-sounding thing to say, but it’s true.

____________

What’s really sad is criticizing what other people enjoy because you don’t understand it. I don’t know a single person who plays fantasy football who doesn’t also have a favorite team that they root for and follow every week. Fantasy football just makes the games that don’t involve your team a lot more interesting so you become more of a football fan in addition to being a fan of your own team.

12. naygerkid says: Aug 17, 2011 4:07 PM

kevpft says:
    Aug 17, 2011 3:41 PM
    Fantasy football is such an incredibly lame thing.

I know it’s a trollish-sounding thing to say, but it’s true.

———————————————-

Ever hear of competition??? Or multi-tasking?? You can’t follow your team and a fantasy team??
    Fantasy Football is a great way to be involved in the game with some competition. Yea I watch all my teams games but I can still track fantasy. You my friend must not like a little competition and money (if you play for money)………….

13. We'reFineThere says: Aug 17, 2011 4:09 PM

Who you are all keeping in your Keeper Leagues? I’m very interested in what round you got Arian Foster in and what that means for your team’s chances in your league for 2011 and beyond.

14. whodeyjpc says: Aug 17, 2011 4:16 PM

Kevpft/Troll, if your home team were the hapless Bengals you’d find another outlet for success in football. Lighten up Francis!

15. doe22us says: Aug 17, 2011 4:17 PM

I watch football religiously dont have a team per say and follow the sport keenly, i also play fantasy football and that hasnt diminished my love for the game.

16. mrklutch says: Aug 17, 2011 4:17 PM

kevpft says:
    Aug 17, 2011 3:41 PM
    Fantasy football is such an incredibly lame thing.

I know it’s a trollish-sounding thing to say, but it’s true.

__________________________________

Your wife or girlfriend must wear the pants of the relationship.

17. Broncofanatic7 says: Aug 17, 2011 4:21 PM

I don’t think Arian Foster is going to have the kind of year he had last year, with the Texans losing Vonta Leach (his lead blocking FB) those holes aren’t going to be as nice.
    To me Jamaal Charles, and Adrian Peterson are safe #1 picks.

18. mlew10 says: Aug 17, 2011 4:22 PM

kevpft says:
    Aug 17, 2011 3:41 PM
    Fantasy football is such an incredibly lame thing.

Well there is a reason it’s called FANTASY football and not “reality” football….

19. rushbacker says: Aug 17, 2011 4:27 PM

Jamaal Charles and his five TDs a year at number one? Rosenthal, please send me an invite if you have a money league!

20. bobwsc says: Aug 17, 2011 4:28 PM

didn’t you recommend Devin Aromashodu last year Rosenthal?

21. blaz0037 says: Aug 17, 2011 4:36 PM

Vick will be lucky to play 10 games this season. You are digging your own grave by selecting him in the first round.

22. klunge says: Aug 17, 2011 4:40 PM

kevpft says:
    Fantasy football is such an incredibly lame thing.
    ———————————————-

While I can’t really argue against that, I feel compelled to do it anyways. Why? Because it’s a triumph of humanity to play fantasy football! That’s right. No it’s not an efficient or effective use of time – it’s just fun and enjoyable. Making the choice to use your time on an activity that centers on pleasure rather than mere survival is what makes us different than animals. And what makes surviving worth doing.
    So in some sense, the time you waste on Earth is the most precious to you.

23. tombradyswig says: Aug 17, 2011 4:46 PM

no more Vonta leach for Arian also…
    go with AP, he’s the safest bet.

24. sdb0ltz says: Aug 17, 2011 4:56 PM

@ kevpft

You absolutely out of your mind. FFB a distraction!?? Thats the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard. Its actually the complete opposite of a distraction. It keeps you more in tune with NFL as a whole. Every team, what they are scoring, what individual players are doing, Whos starting, whos injured etc etc…

Clearly, you have never played FFB before.

Fantasy Football is awesome. Fantasy football is for the REAL Football fan. Not the guy that follows 1 team and is a homer in every football converstion. In FFB you have to stay updated on the whole NFL not just the home team. It makes you a MUCH more knowledgable fan.

25. tominmilwaukee says: Aug 17, 2011 5:24 PM

I have the number 2 pick in my main league and am picking Rodgers…… And here is why:

The guy picking 1 wants Foster, which is ok with me because i do not think he will put up the same numbers…. Hurting his hammy on the first carry of training camp and being out for 2 weeks is not a great start….

AP is great, but is this the year he hits the running back wall? It could be and i rather not take the chance….

CJ is holding out and who knows when it will get resolved….

One can include Charles in the discussion, but only 5tds loses him some value…..

This year is VERY deep in running backs and depending on how your league’s scoring works, one can find GREAT value between rounds 2-5 with RBs……

Rodgers is the safest pick in my opinion….. Not just because his offense is stacked, but he will also get about 5 rushing tds a year…… I actually think he might be chasing Brady’s 50 td mark this season…

And yes, i am a Packer fan, but when it comes to money…. i bet with my brain and not my heart….

26. itsmammoth says: Aug 17, 2011 6:04 PM

Adrian Peterson is the safest pick. Period.

27. valman61 says: Aug 17, 2011 11:10 PM

I had Charles foster and jones drew in a keeper league. I traded Charles n mcnabb for Vick n sims walker. My third rb is Reggie Bush. Second qb is Sanchez. What you guys think of the trade? It’s a one qb two rb two flex league where you can start two qbs.

28. bjb2865 says: Aug 18, 2011 1:28 PM

There really is no such thing as a safe #1 pick in FF. I been playing for 22 years,,pretty much since it started. Things will change every year. You are gambling on every player out there whether hes picked in the first round or the 10th round. Most people say ALL DAY is the safest pick,,but he could get hurt the first game. So much for safe pick. Vikings are a bad team also. Like I said ,,,no such thing as safe pick. Back when Randall Cunningham was lighting up the scoreboards,,,everyone had him as the #1 pick. coming off a 1990 year where he had 3500 yards passing,,1000 yards rushing and 35 total TD’s. He played exactly one game in 1991 before he was out for the year. He actually didnt even play a whole game.

29. kevpft says: Aug 22, 2011 11:43 AM

I have to say, I’m impressed with the people who responded to my trollish anti-fantasy comments with some genuine enthusiasm and articulation. Thanks for taking the time to talk about why you love the game.

I hear what you’re saying, and it does make sense. FF is not for me, but I see how it can be a positive thing for people who are really fans of the game as a whole, and fans of the details too.