Suh says his strength makes it hard on the refs

Detroit Lions v Miami Dolphins Getty Images

If Ndamukong Suh is not a dirty player, why does he keep getting called for personal fouls? Suh says it’s because referees are taken aback by his strength.

Discussing his $20,000 fine for slamming Bengals quarterback Andy Dalton to the ground, Suh said the things he does on the field look worse than they are because referees aren’t accustomed to seeing players as strong as he is.

“Honestly, I really feel that I put the refs in a tough situation because of my strength,” Suh said.

That might sound like bragging, but there’s a lot of truth to it: Suh is such a powerful athlete that his hits probably look a lot more violent to us mere mortals than they feel to him. That was the case last year when Suh was flagged and fined for a hit on Jay Cutler: Suh brought so much force to the hit that it looked violent, but he appeared to shove Cutler in the back of the shoulder pads, which is legal.

But just because Suh is capable of slamming the 215-pound Dalton to the ground with ease doesn’t mean he should be allowed to do it. That hit definitely deserved a flag and a fine.

Suh says he recognizes the importance of protecting players from illegal hits, but he also says it’s important for the NFL to remember that there are going to be big hits in the NFL as long as big guys like him are playing.

“A lot of us players growing up and coming in, we’re getting faster, stronger, and some guys just have incredible strength on that football field,” Suh said. “So I feel like we put them in tough situations, and with the new rules and the different situation of safety — which definitely should be something that should be applied on both sides of the ball — we definitely put them in tough situations, so they have to make the right judgment. I’m not going to fault them for making a call that they’re erring on the safer side, because safety is important. It’s important for myself, it’s important for a quarterback, it’s important for every last 22 players on the football field.”

Suh said he will appeal the $20,000 fine, and he said no fine will change the way he plays.

“I’m never going to put myself in a situation where I can allow a play to affect my team because I didn’t follow through on my job,” Suh said. “So I’m not going to stop playing hard. Like I said before, I owe it to my fans, I owe it to my teammates, I owe it to the coaches, and I owe it to the fans, first and foremost. That’s the reason why they watch the game. It’s one of the reasons football is football.”

Permalink 117 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Detroit Lions, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
117 Responses to “Suh says his strength makes it hard on the refs”
  1. deepseabreeze says: Aug 17, 2011 6:44 PM

I love this guy. what a beast!

2. My Last Victim Escaped says: Aug 17, 2011 6:44 PM

Man’s a BEAST. They need to clone him.

3. scudbot says: Aug 17, 2011 6:45 PM

Keep yakking, big boy. Maybe it’s time to hire an image consultant.

4. bradentonbuc says: Aug 17, 2011 6:46 PM

sounds like James Harrison

5. icelovinbrotha215 says: Aug 17, 2011 6:46 PM

It’s not your strength that gets you in trouble. It’s the fact that your hands go straight to the QB’s head. Hopefully someone works with him. He will be breaking records for the dollar amounts he gets in fines.

6. broncobeta says: Aug 17, 2011 6:47 PM

$20,000 is just lunch.

I’m waiting for that dinner hit… and boy am I hungry.

7. doctorfootball says: Aug 17, 2011 6:47 PM

This just shows that Suh lives in his own little world. He’s in complete denial that what he did to Dalton was illegal. He picked up the quarterback and slammed him to the ground. Suh will be a great player, but right now he’s a young, immature NFL player.

8. readysethike says: Aug 17, 2011 6:49 PM

“It’s one of the reasons football is football.”

your damn right

9. reillyb1 says: Aug 17, 2011 6:49 PM

What a tool. Becoming one of my least favorite players.

10. jimmysee says: Aug 17, 2011 6:50 PM

Dick the Bruiser.

11. cowboynation919 says: Aug 17, 2011 6:50 PM

Your strength is your best asset. Just learn how to use it. If a qb doesnt have the ball there is no reason to throw him to the ground. If a qb is running (cutler) instead of swinging and jacking him in the back of the head, wrap your arms and tackle him.

It’s basic stuff. You have all the talent in the world just havn’t learned to utilize it properly yet.

No one will denie your a tough kid who makes the Lion’s 10x better alone. But be smart about it.

12. bucks12965 says: Aug 17, 2011 6:51 PM

Why does he keep getting called for personal fouls? Probably the same reason Megatron can catch a ball in the end zone, put both feet down, sit on his but, turn over & set the ball on the ground, & it’s called no catch.

The refs are morons.

13. dcbassguy says: Aug 17, 2011 6:52 PM

He is a beast, but he needs to use his head. Picking up a QB and slamming him into the ground shoulder/arm/head first is going to draw a flag, and a fine. He should work more on his brain, and less on his strength.

P.S. I’m sure he’d kick my ass, but there are planty of guys in the league that are as strong as he is.

14. chatttty says: Aug 17, 2011 6:54 PM

B E A S T.
    bunch of haters in here because hes not on there team
    GO LIONS!

15. medtxpack says: Aug 17, 2011 6:55 PM

he sounds so much smarter than J Harrison…

16. santolonius says: Aug 17, 2011 6:55 PM

all the nfl would have to do to make these over-the-top hits go away is tell refs to throw the offenders out of the game at the time of the play. suh (who i think is great) would get thrown out once, maybe twice and never again. he would learn. suh ain’t stupid, and this is learnable. but 20k… forget it. he’d rather have the hit.

17. JAM says: Aug 17, 2011 6:57 PM

What a dumb response to an unnecessary play. When the games count that play will cost your team in yardage. Forget money, 20k is pennies on the dollar in terms of his salary. You could have just drilled the guy, but instead you pick him up like you are Andre the Giant and slam him to the ground with the ball 10 yards down field.

18. darthvincent says: Aug 17, 2011 7:01 PM

I think what makes it tough on the ref’s is that Suh has such a small mind…

19. footballdog says: Aug 17, 2011 7:02 PM

It’s one of the reasons Football WAS Football.

20. pappysarcasm says: Aug 17, 2011 7:04 PM

Actually Mr. Suh, it be you who be in the tight spot! ;)

21. kchoya says: Aug 17, 2011 7:04 PM

icelovinbrotha215 says:

—–

Except that his hands didn’t go to Dalton’s head (or Cutler’s). I’m not sure what you’re talking about.

22. steelerhypocrite says: Aug 17, 2011 7:05 PM

Suh’s strength reminds me of HOF Randy White…

23. schemefactory says: Aug 17, 2011 7:05 PM

that is the biggest amount of bs i’ve heard since “my twitter account got hacked”. does he really believe people will wholesale believe his crap:?

24. rushbacker says: Aug 17, 2011 7:06 PM

Man, I bet just watching Ronnie Lott or Dick Butkus play would’ve made some of you pansies cry.

25. kchoya says: Aug 17, 2011 7:06 PM

cowboynation919 says:

—–

What are you talking about? Suh didn’t swing at Cutler, nor did he hit him in the head. If you’re going to criticize the guy, at least be factually accurate.

26. tatum064 says: Aug 17, 2011 7:10 PM

doctorfootball says:
    Aug 17, 2011 6:47 PM
    =============================
    I like him. The complaints are an extension of how weak the NFL is now compared to the past. Butkus, Nitschke and a lot of the other vets love this guy….plays the game on the edge (a throwback to fading age) – a lot of guys got slammed to the ground….and they popped right back up.

27. bleedgreen4life says: Aug 17, 2011 7:11 PM

i bet he kills someone by accident

28. tatum064 says: Aug 17, 2011 7:11 PM

reillyb1 says:
    Aug 17, 2011 6:49 PM
    What a tool. Becoming one of my least favorite players.
    ==========================
    Above is why the League is crap to look at now. A lot of divas, scrub players and unnecessary rules. Gives the Lions some attitude they havent had EVER.

29. ivro89 says: Aug 17, 2011 7:12 PM

Love that Dalton clearly released the ball and Suh clearly put in a second surge/effort in order to throw Dalton to the ground, and yet he has tried to defend himself again and again on this hit. He’s definitely not a dirty player, but this also isn’t his first offense. You simply can’t do what he did to Dalton, or what he did to Delhomme last year. I like Suh a lot because of how ferocious he is as a player, but if he can’t stop himself from body slamming QBs to the ground 3 seconds after they’ve released the ball, than he’s got to expect the fines to keep coming… and keep getting bigger. There’s a line thin between ferocious and dirty, and while Suh hasn’t crossed it yet, if he keeps making late hits like that, he’s going to cross that line in people’s minds whether he thinks it’s wrong or not.

30. simplesimon1 says: Aug 17, 2011 7:14 PM

What a perfect response….Keep it up Suh!!! Last I checked they never once ever put a person in the HOF for “letting up” when playing the game.

31. nicalooch says: Aug 17, 2011 7:14 PM

Bucs O-Line is going to have to earn their pay week 1… keep this beast away from Freeman!

32. doctordirty907 says: Aug 17, 2011 7:16 PM

This guy had 10 sacks as a rookie dt. He’s probably the strongest guy in the league.

33. jakek2 says: Aug 17, 2011 7:19 PM

Makes me wish the XFL still existed. Maybe players like Suh and Harrison would defect over to a league that stood up for what made me a fan in the first place

34. baseballstars says: Aug 17, 2011 7:20 PM

Johnny Cash should rewrite his “A Boy Named Suh” song, and make it about a big bully who cries after he rightfully gets punished. I’d have a lot more respect for Suh if he’d just admit he plays rough/hard. This justification is just stupid.

35. liontomyself says: Aug 17, 2011 7:20 PM

cowboynation919 says:Aug 17, 2011 6:50 PM

________________________________

While I agree that the Dalton body slam was late / excessive (but he did not grab him by the head), the Cutler push, IMO, was legal and the fine was unjust.

But (again, just my opinion), I think by doing what he did to Dalton, Suh just made QB’s that he will be playing against think………

What do you think they will be thinking when he comes charging at them???

Not saying what he did was right…..but, it may be a low cost / high reward move (even more than last year (Delhomme) when he was still “unknown” against real NFL players).

36. welzy says: Aug 17, 2011 7:22 PM

If he keeps headhunting QBs, offensive linemen may start kneehunting Suh. All it takes is a cheapshot on the wrong QB.

37. titan40 says: Aug 17, 2011 7:23 PM

Dalton’s orange hair made him angry.

38. Slackmo says: Aug 17, 2011 7:26 PM

He shivered Cutler in the back of the head, not in the shoulder pads.

Suh likes to grab facemasks and tackle QBs using headlocks. Headlocks have been considered unnecessary roughness for obvious safety reasons for decades, and since 2008 grabbing the helmet anywhere is considered the same as grabbing the facemask.

If you think this is part of the game of football, you should get back into the car up on blocks on your front lawn and watch WWE, where the same move has ruined lots of careers by accident.

39. melonnhead says: Aug 17, 2011 7:30 PM

It’s not your strength. It’s your crappy technique.

40. woodyg says: Aug 17, 2011 7:30 PM

It won’t matter how strong the ‘boy named Suh’ thinks he is …… 15 yard penalties lead to loses & another losing season in Detroit ……

Suh needs to quit making excuses & presenting far-fetched reasons for his style of play ….. He needs to start playing a little more with his head (brain) …….

41. letsgobuffaloin2011 says: Aug 17, 2011 7:31 PM

42. clavette says: Aug 17, 2011 7:34 PM

Love this!!!! Suh is a beast and he will win defensive MVP this season

43. snaponrules says: Aug 17, 2011 7:35 PM

So in short the fines mean nothing and he is going to continue with the cheap shots until the league makes him stop. The only way they are going to do that is to start making these guys sit out games for their constant bush league play.

Or hopefully a really strong off. lineman takes his knees out, because he owes it to his team, coaches and fans to do so.

44. tmac4454 says: Aug 17, 2011 7:35 PM

I love this guy (a true beast). I wonder if Cutler and Dalton told his front line to watch out for this guy. He is a killer, please block him and keep him off of me.

45. greengob1in says: Aug 17, 2011 7:36 PM

You took a guy’s helmet, and threw him down to the ground 3 seconds after he threw the ball away. Yeah, i’m sure your muscles are what drew the fine.

46. sakatak says: Aug 17, 2011 7:36 PM

Reggie White was as strong as they come, he was never considered dirty.

47. johnnycash19 says: Aug 17, 2011 7:37 PM

I wonder what football was like in the 50s and such. How many people cried about the Steel Curtain? Let’s be honest the two “dirty” (Delhomme for sure, Dalton questionable because the whistle never blew and he was throwing the ball as he got hit) hits are BOTH from the pre-season. Show me a play where in the regular season that a play Suh made cost the Lions a game? I can think of only 2 “big” penalties, both seemed like the wrong call. 1. Being the Cutler push and 2. being the Marion Barber hair pull, which was called a horse-collar, another BS call. All the people talking about how Suh should watch out for his knees and such are just jealous they don’t have him on their team.

48. trickbunny says: Aug 17, 2011 7:37 PM

Suh is such a beast. I guess that’s why the Lions won zero games last year.

The funny part is that Detroit’s offense scored points. They were in the middle of the pack in yards per game. So the offense wasn’t the problem. I guess it was the defense. The defense that couldn’t secure their team a single win all year long. You know, the one with Suh in the middle of it.

49. melonnhead says: Aug 17, 2011 7:39 PM

Suh isn’t close to the strongest player to ever play. 33 reps is not really impressive for a self-described strong man. Bunkley had 44. Hell the Cowboys kicker had 25. Larry Allen in his prime would break this guy over like an old shotgun and leave him shivering in a corner in a puddle of rapetears.

50. truebluelionsfanrob says: Aug 17, 2011 7:42 PM

Watch the play again! Suh’s helmet is to the left side of Daltons helmet. He could have never seen him get rid of the ball! You sissys need to stop crying & hope to the good lord God, the man named Suh doesn’t get his hands on your QB!!!

51. kchoya says: Aug 17, 2011 7:42 PM

Slackmo says:

He shivered Cutler in the back of the head, not in the shoulder pads.

——

Are you blind, or just dumb? Suh didn’t touch Cutler’s head, nor did he put a headlock on Dalton (or anyone else). The only stupid play he made was grabbing Delhomme’s facemask and throwing him down.

52. steelersmichele says: Aug 17, 2011 7:44 PM

“Suh said he will appeal the $20,000 fine”

Sorry Suh, but you voted “yes” to the the ratification of the new CBA–the one where you could have voiced your displeasure with the disciplinary actions handed down. You agreed to getting fined.

53. adamrugbyireland says: Aug 17, 2011 7:47 PM

I watched this hit by Suh and it wasn’t a fine hit. There is less than one second between the throw and hit! What’s he ment to do go “tag your it”, fine if he take 5 seconds to make the hit the fine away. It’s the hesitation that causes a missed sack! Look on the Internet for the somoa vs oz rugby match three weeks ago just the hits and then see if Suh should be fined.

Plus Suh was just welcoming the Rook to the NFL.

54. theduuuuuuuuuude says: Aug 17, 2011 7:52 PM

$20,000 is a drop in the bucket for a player like Suh. Does the NFL really think fining him is going to make him think twice about clobbering a QB? That’s his bread and butter, there is no way that he will change the way he plays when he makes MILLIONS in salary and endorsements by blowing up the QB.

55. simplesimon1 says: Aug 17, 2011 7:57 PM

I put this comment in earlier and, yes, I’m going to reverberate it for all the Suh haters out there…That’s right, every one of you losers…LOL

Funny….

I hear bloggers saying Suh is dirty because of a couple questionable hits (Delhomme was over the top, Dalton was playing to the whistle and not nearly as bad as it looked, and Cutler was no penalty at all, let alone a fine). All of the bloggers are just angry because he’s not on their team.

Then I hear the analysts from PFT questioning if he plays dirty. Other analysts that have actually played the game, including HOF’ers love the way he plays.

I find it amusing that all the bloggers and analysts that have never played the game are arguing about if Suh is dirty yet no coach, player (this even includes Delhomme and Dalton), team mate, GM, scout, or anybody else who has ever had anything to actually do with the game says anything about the kid but “wow, that’s how you play the game”.

So, do me a favor. Find me any quote from any player, coach or GM in the league, or any quote anywhere from any HOF’er that says they think Suh plays dirty.

“crickets, crickets”

That’s what I thought haters!!!

56. kingjoe1 says: Aug 17, 2011 7:58 PM

Just another media driven knee-jerk reaction by the NFL.

57. gotothejoe says: Aug 17, 2011 8:00 PM

@trickbunny….do some research before you embarrass yourself again. Lions won 6 games last year and lost 6 more by 5 points or less.

58. simplesimon1 says: Aug 17, 2011 8:01 PM

Also, for the tool letsgobuffaloin2011…..

you say:

“Suh is a joke, there are 100s of players in the NFL as strong as he is, what a terrible excuse. Watch the Marcell Dareus sports science, he is stronger than Suh if you go by the measurements on the show.”

LOL…..You are the biggest tool I ever responded to. I’m not really sure why I am. I like Dareus but you can’t be serious. Even Fairley is going to be better than Dareus, and hed isn’t Suh. Can’t wait to see you week 4 of preseason so Suh can show poor Fitzpatrick how much of a “joke” he actually is….LOL.

59. christinamer says: Aug 17, 2011 8:04 PM

Awesome player, but come on man. This isn’t the WWE. It’s possible to get a sack without body-slamming a guy, just ask the scores of other players who achieve it.

60. richm2256 says: Aug 17, 2011 8:05 PM

trickbunny says:
    Suh is such a beast. I guess that’s why the Lions won zero games last year.

The defense that couldn’t secure their team a single win all year long.
    ——————————————————-
    You might want to double check that, moron.

And for the record, the Lions put up a hell of a fight against New England on Thanksgiving Day, for the first three quarters.

You know, the 14-2 Patriots?

61. pbolyard says: Aug 17, 2011 8:05 PM

Everyone can hate all they want on this guy but I bet they wouldn’t say anything if he was on their favorite team.

62. footballnut2011 says: Aug 17, 2011 8:07 PM

We all know your a great football player. We just dont want to see players carted off the field every week. Stop trying to disable every player you get your hands on.

63. blindshootist says: Aug 17, 2011 8:08 PM

well thought, cerebral response. I love this guy, probably my favorite player next to Ray Lewis now. the money he makes, at least he can continue to play his way.

Shaq made it tough on refs because of his physical dominance, so personally I think he has a point.

Personally, I think his point is very clear when you look at the PUSH on Rodgers from last year. It was a push, Rodgers got a concussion, and he was flagged… not intended to do anything but catch up to a scrambling QB who was not sliding and did not think the Suh-beast would catch him. Check that one out again. A push was too violent? QB out of the pocket not sliding.. let’s remember this guy was talked about around heisman time as a DT. He leads by example, and I personally hope the Lions are dominant and feared and that leads to victories.. that town and that franchise could use it.

64. daburgher says: Aug 17, 2011 8:09 PM

this site has it out for players who hit hard…pansies probably never put pands on in their life

65. tfbuckfutter says: Aug 17, 2011 8:12 PM

baseballstars says: Aug 17, 2011 7:20 PM

————————————-

Johnny Cash is dead.

He died in a car accident with Terry Bradshaw today (details are still sketchy as to whether they were riding together or hit each other)

66. savannahrose44 says: Aug 17, 2011 8:13 PM

Strength huh? How about a little self control? Oh wait you can’t have that…I nominate Harrison and Suh for the the first round of hgh testing.

67. joebloww says: Aug 17, 2011 8:14 PM

Suh is the poster boy for “retard strength”.

68. Slackmo says: Aug 17, 2011 8:15 PM

@kchoya

“Are you blind, or just dumb?”

I saw the Cutler play, and here’s what the ref said: “I felt it was an unnecessary non-football act — a blow to the back of the runner’s helmet in the process of him going to the ground,” Ed Hochuli said.

In the Dalton video, Suh ripped Dalton’s helmet off and twisted him by the head by 180 degrees. Fortunately Dalton’s body came with it. He tackled nothing but head.

If you are both blind and dumb, I could understand why you would dispute this.

69. dolphone says: Aug 17, 2011 8:19 PM

Wussified Football League. The WFL won after all.

He didn’t pick Dalton up.

He didn’t “slam” him, he threw him down.

He didn’t go for the head.

It was a good, clean hit. But of course all the primadonna-loving dumbasses are going to claim it was dirty, because he hit the almighty, untouchable ballerina that used to be a football player. Makes me sick to my stomach.

70. trickbunny says: Aug 17, 2011 8:19 PM

When Suh gets one of his knees cracked in retaliation for his neaderthal playing style, you can bet your paycheck all these morons on his jock are going to be screaming about dirty play… and when they do, I’ll be the first in line to call them pansies and wusses and accuse them of wanting “soft” football with ballet slippers and tutus.

I can just hear myself now… “Hey, what’s the matter? That fullback who tore Suh’s knee ligaments was just having fun and playing hard! What’s wrong with that?”

Trust me- the minute someone hurts Suh, Lions fans and others who support this oaf will suddenly start griping about how players need to play to win the game, not to try to end people’s careers.

At least when James Harrison plays dirty, his team has a chance of winning. Suh can crush skulls and bodyslam QBs all day in (yet another) losing effort.

71. trickbunny says: Aug 17, 2011 8:27 PM

richm2256 says:
    Aug 17, 2011 8:05 PM
    trickbunny says:
    Suh is such a beast. I guess that’s why the Lions won zero games last year.

The defense that couldn’t secure their team a single win all year long.
    ——————————————————-
    You might want to double check that, moron.

You know, the 14-2 Patriots?
    ———————————————–

Oops! You’re totally right. That was a couple years ago. My bad- I guess I thought that because it seems like they go 0-16 every year :)

…and only a pathetic Lions fan would brag about *almost* beating someone. Puh-lease.

72. thousandcasts says: Aug 17, 2011 8:29 PM

Real football fans love Suh’s play–regardless of what team he plays for.

Panty waste fantasy football dorks who act like fans, but are really just stat geeks think he’s dirty. They also think “Bambi” was too violent of a film for children to watch.

73. adamrugbyireland says: Aug 17, 2011 8:30 PM

Guys it the NFL, people get hit! They get paid millions to do this! So what he got thrown on the ground it’s part of the game. Have we lost all the toughness from the game. I am sure Dalton is alright considering the millions he’s just lodged. I think I’d be happy to do that job for the money they get! Being a cop carries more risks! Guys it’s a contact sport not a pillow fight!

Are QB’s the new untouchables? (was gonna say something sexist but girls are tougher than QB’s)

74. daburgher says: Aug 17, 2011 8:30 PM

everyone who says suh and harrison are dirty.. well your just a pansy… there is a sport for you to watch.. its called soccer

75. dolphone says: Aug 17, 2011 8:35 PM

trickbunny says:
    Aug 17, 2011 8:19 PM

———————-

So, who do you root for? I’m just aching to know about the pinnacle of clean (read:wuss) football team you follow.

76. spartyfi says: Aug 17, 2011 8:46 PM

What I find funny about this “is he a dirty player or is he not a dirty player” is that he’s had TWO (2) illegal hits in his time in the league and both were in the preseason. Please, tell me, how do 2 hits make you a dirty player? The 1st on Delhomme was vicious, I’ll grant you that because it’s obvious. The one on Dalton, not nearly as bad if you watch it. He did not pop his helmet off, it got knocked off. Also his head was pretty much on Dalton when he threw that ball away so saying he didn’t know it was gone is within the realm of reason. Yes, it’s a penalty, but a $20,000 fine? Are you serious? And it makes him a dirty player when combined with one other hit?

I’ll admit, I feel good as a Lions fan to finally have a player so good that he’s actually hated by other fans. That means the Lions are ALMOST relevant again. Gotta earn it but they’re on their way.

77. luckynumberlucas says: Aug 17, 2011 8:58 PM

1 on 1, the guy simply is unblockable.

And a lot of you guys are confusing weight room strength with football strength.

Warren Sapp told me once, “aint no weightlifting apparatus on the field” when I asked how important weightlifting was to him.

There is no OL who can take him 1 on 1.

He is gonna light up all of them.

78. sxydaddio says: Aug 17, 2011 8:58 PM

I love the way Suh plays, plays old school (the way I played way back when). But I can with all honesty his hit on Dalton would have been a 15 yards back in the 60′s. Dalton had released the ball 3 seconds before the hit (power slam). That is the problem you can’t give up that kind of yardage for a slip of the brain (my old coach’s words not mine). But I will tell you what my dad’s said, Suh would have left the game on the next play after cheap shotting a quarterback, and been lucky to play the rest of the year, they’d of brought a tight end for a crack back to make the point.

79. samoanjungle says: Aug 17, 2011 9:02 PM

Some people aren’t understanding the difference between a hard hit and a dirty play. If your team’s QB gets taken out for the season because someone went overboard, maybe you will change your mind.
    Suh is making excuses and trying to brag at the same time.

80. jacksaysfu says: Aug 17, 2011 9:05 PM

i never thought i would say this , Im jealous of the Lions . Well , not really ,but i would love this player on my team .

81. bensstinkyfingers says: Aug 17, 2011 9:09 PM

Suh and James Harrison may have the IQ of an Inbred possum, but they both play the game with passion. Too bad the whole IQ thing prevents them from knowing when to stop. Fun to watch, like a monkey flinging poop, unfortunately that doesnt win you games. Neither the Lions nor the Steelers will see a championship anytime soon.

82. tarheelpirate says: Aug 17, 2011 9:16 PM

I keeping hearing people say that opposing QBs need to be afraid. That might be true, but the the QB that should be most afraid of Suh’s play is Matthew Stafford. The other team plays defense, too.

Unfortunately for the Lions, it is going to take seeing Stafford dropped on his head once or twice for Suh to realize that he shouldn’t slam QBs unnecessarily.

83. paulieorkid says: Aug 17, 2011 9:17 PM

One guy in here insists that “Butkus, Nitschke and a lot of the other vets love this guy….plays the game on the edge (a throwback to fading age) – a lot of guys got slammed to the ground….and they popped right back up.”

Nitschke passed away when Suh was about 10 years old, so though he may have loved the Suh — let’s not say that you’re aware that he does in present tense.

Another dude in here wants Johnny Cash to remake a song. The Man in Black does write songs anymore – hasn’t for nearly a decade. He’s retired. Permanently.

84. clavette says: Aug 17, 2011 9:31 PM

harrison is head hunting every game, suh just wants to body slam some scrub qbs in the preseason… cutler hit was awesome and clean

there isnt 1 team in the nfl whos defensive line wouldnt benefit from this monster in the middle of it

85. darthhitman says: Aug 17, 2011 9:33 PM

Willie McGinest, Chris Jenkins and Brian Baldinger ALL said he’s not a dirty player. SO, 3 former players say “No” and a bunch of losers that think their opinions matter for some reason who prolly have never even touched a football with their own hands say “Yes” HMMMM, who should I side with here?

86. starfan79 says: Aug 17, 2011 9:33 PM

The dude needs to be tested for bull testosterone. He is freakish

87. 1stngoal says: Aug 17, 2011 9:54 PM

____________________________________

When I saw the hit on YouTube, my first thought was ‘That guy just doesn’t know his own strength, yikes!!!’

88. spartyfi says: Aug 17, 2011 9:54 PM

@bensstinkyfiners: Actually, he’s pretty smart, and a good guy. Gave his U $2Million dollars when he signed his contract. Educated and everything…but your monkey flingin’ poo comment was all I needed to know about you…

89. imjinbrdgr says: Aug 17, 2011 9:56 PM

“trickbunny says: Aug 17, 2011 7:37 PM

Suh is such a beast. I guess that’s why the Lions won zero games last year.

I guess opposing teams need to worry more about protecting their QBs from injury. Apparently, losing the game isn’t something they’ll have to worry much about.”
    ==============================

I’m glad you apologized but what amazes me is that there were 11 people dumb enough to give you a thumbs up on your inaccurate post. Is the intelligence level of this site going down or is it just a bad might???

90. doe22us says: Aug 17, 2011 10:23 PM

Is Suh a good player well yeah he is, was the hit a little bit over the top sure. Is he making to many damn excuses yep. He better tone it down before those suspensions come to play.

91. jrmbadger says: Aug 17, 2011 10:50 PM

Wow,
    The Lions bandwagon apparantely is swelling judging by the comments here.

The hit on Dalton was unnecessary, got flagged and got fined. Good call by the refs, good call by the league. I’m not sure it was dirty necessarily, but a late hit and a finable hit.

Watch the video.

Suh comes at Dalton with his head up (so far so good) and hits him a split second AFTER the ball leaves (which is fine so far). BUT, it’s clear he would have had to have seen the ball leave Dalton’s hand or else he’s blind…. Even so, instead of immediately driving him to the ground (which would have been fine at this point), he bear hugs him, and almost 3 seconds later picks him up and throws him to the ground.

To all the folks on here talking about how Suh was just playing to the whistle – ask yourselves – what happens if that pass is complete? The play is still continuing downfield and a whistle will not blow. By your logic, a QB is then fair game to any type of cheap shot takedown because their wasnt a whistle. What if that were Stafford being tossed like a rag doll on his shoulder after he had released the ball 3 seconds ago?

It is STILL a penalty to hit the QB after the ball comes out even if there is no whistle. The fact that a whistle was not blown is no excuse.

92. shaggytoodle says: Aug 17, 2011 10:51 PM

Don’t raise too much havoc, Suh, here on planet PFT people get linked PHDs, by being too awesome just ask Clay Matthews.

93. ilovefoolsball says: Aug 17, 2011 10:57 PM

Too bad he plays on a historically sucky team.
    He’ll be there till his rookie contract is up then move on.

94. laxer37 says: Aug 17, 2011 11:00 PM

Deacon Jones, Jack Lambert, and Ronnie Lott think what Suh did to Dalton was child’s play.

Play maybe deserved a flag, but last time I checked Dalton was just fine.

All you guys that are outraged need to take it down a notch.

95. freedomispopular says: Aug 17, 2011 11:11 PM

Just watched the infamous Suh hits on Youtube. The Cutler hit was definitely just a push in the back; unbelievable call by the ref. Grabbing Delhomme’s facemask was definitely bonheaded, but from the angle he was facing he may very well have not seen the ball go downfield. That may have been the case with Dalton as well, but obviously we’ll never know. He’s just playing 110%. If you think the QB still has the ball, you’re gonna do everything you can to bring him down.

And I really didn’t care for the announcers comment basically saying that if he builds this reputation that refs will start throwing flags based on his reputation. Refs should be throwing flags based on the rules, not someone’s reputation.

96. ryanw411 says: Aug 17, 2011 11:16 PM

Considering that Suh earned an engineering degree and not one of the typical jerk off degrees most athletes get I would say he is far from stupid. I would venture to say he is far more intelligent and educated than the majority of people here questioning his IQ and wits.

97. skinsdiehard says: Aug 17, 2011 11:28 PM

This is the most asinine article and argument I have heard. Using an analogy….so, your big brother slams you to the ground and dislocates your shoulder and he isn’t to blame because it was so effortless and easy? “I don’t know my own strength”, he says. Completely asinine! He should still be punished and apologize to his little brother and not give the stupid excuse.

98. nfldaddy says: Aug 17, 2011 11:28 PM

Just saw this hit for the first time on youtube, so I’m obviously not a fan of either of these teams………..

But THAT is the hit all you little G&Y azz bizzles are whining about? How do you know that Suh even realized the ball was thrown?

Suh is a man and this game is for men. It’s not for little girls with hairless vaginas. If you don’t want to get hurt, then don’t play the game.

That flag and that fine were both weak. Shame on Roger Goddell and all of you spineless fans (most of which have never even played the game at any level) that agree with him for making such ridiculous “statements” about “safety” in the game.

We used to hit each other harder than that when we played tackle football without pads when I was a kid.

I have never seen a sport take such a dramatic turn for the worse as I have under Roger Goddell’s tenure. Let one of these ridiculous pansy calls change the outcome of a game, especially one for my team, and I won’t be watching much longer.

I was 100% pro ownership during the lockout, but I wish the players would have stood firm on Goodell’s disciplinary theory of judge, jury, and executioner.

99. richm2256 says: Aug 17, 2011 11:32 PM

trickbunny says:
    ——————————————————

Wrong again, Chuckles; I’m an avowed Patriots fan, which is why I respected the Lion’s performance that day.

Puh-lease, get a clue before you post anymore, you keep embrarrassing yourself every time.

100. majorseahawk says: Aug 17, 2011 11:37 PM

Here we go, big step forward to changing this league into flag football. Now they don’t just fine you for illegal hits, but for violent hits too. Well guess what, its football (for now) and there are a lot of violent hits that are legal, like the one Suh put on Dalton. NFL is run by a bunch of pansies.

101. dtrb10 says: Aug 17, 2011 11:43 PM

Just another dirty Lion player like that offensive lineman that tried to take Jared Allen out a couple years back.

102. kchoya says: Aug 17, 2011 11:50 PM

Slackmo says:

—–

Your post makes no sense. You say you saw the Cutler play, but then rely on what Hochuli says he saw. If you truly saw the play, you’d admit Suh pushed him in the back.

And quit making crap up about the Dalton play. He didn’t rip the helmet off and and didn’t twist his head 180 degrees. If you want photographic evidence, here’s a photo of Suh wrapping up Dalton around the shoulders as the ball is coming out of his hand.

103. dladd79 says: Aug 17, 2011 11:59 PM

sakatak says: Aug 17, 2011 7:36 PM

Reggie White was as strong as they come, he was never considered dirty.

____________________________________

If Reggie played in todays soft NFL he probably would have.

Todays rules are making the game look soft. If your soft like doctor’s cotton you should vote thumbs down.

104. dladd79 says: Aug 18, 2011 12:15 AM

melonnhead says: Aug 17, 2011 7:30 PM

It’s not your strength. It’s your crappy technique.
    _____________________________________

Are you a broad or something? You sound like a sissy. Yeah I would never want a high motor beast playing on the D-line of my favorite team lol. Damn girl what’s the prob no good ping pong games are being played. You sissy need to stop watching this sport. You cannot take it.

105. dladd79 says: Aug 18, 2011 12:17 AM

melonnhead says: Aug 17, 2011 7:30 PM

It’s not your strength. It’s your crappy technique.
    __________________

Someone with bad technique probably took your significant other. Lol

106. dladd79 says: Aug 18, 2011 12:30 AM

skinsdiehard says: Aug 17, 2011 11:28 PM

_______________________

Not reppin the skins or what not but for real I’ve never heard a skins fan sound so soft.

Its not little brother out there its a grown man getting paid that’s getting thrown to the ground.
    next time Dalton should just get rid of the ball throw a int or something. Go Cowboys!

107. mrclaytonbigsby says: Aug 18, 2011 12:36 AM

I see a lot of fairies crying about a violent sport. Go back to watching the Oxygen channel and leave Pro Football to the grown folk.

108. ryanw411 says: Aug 18, 2011 12:40 AM

Slackwit says:

*****************

Jay Cutler was not going to the ground, he was running forward and trying to move upfield when Suh leveled him. He was at least 5 yards from the sideline so he wasn’t headed out of bounds either. Suh never touched his head. Suh also extended both of his arms simultaneously on the play which would make it impossible to be a forearm shot, and both his hands were open throughout the play. It was clearly a shove, even a blind man could see that.

Anyone that wants to see the truth go to :47 in on the video. Ed Hochuli is one of the worst refs in the league for making bad calls then refusing to own up to them later.

109. minnysoda says: Aug 18, 2011 1:03 AM

Charles Martin likes the way Suh plays.

110. staffordsyear says: Aug 18, 2011 1:47 AM

I’ve been reading these comments and ive seen a few comments how other people may be just jealous that sssuuuhhhh! (Sorry I can’t help it) isnt on their team..I have yet to hear a response on this.That tells me everything I need to know. Go leos!

111. Slackmo says: Aug 18, 2011 1:52 AM

@kchoya:

Me, the ref, all the media commentators, and apparently the NFL office saw the blow to Cutler’s head that you say isn’t in the video. The NFL fined him $15K for the hit and they had more film to review than any of us.

Suh’s initial hit on Dalton is beside the point, it’s what he did once he ripped off Dalton’s helmet and twisted his head that’s important. You’re trying to claim that Suh didn’t rip his helmet off when his helmet clearly goes bouncing down the field in the video.

You must have been a Casey Anthony juror.

112. tbtrojan says: Aug 18, 2011 4:18 AM

nicalooch says: Aug 17, 2011 7:14 PM

———————————–

Won’t matter if they do, Freeman will just do the same as last year and stiffarm the giant turd out the way.
    If you look at that game it was among the worst of his rookie season.

113. bereado says: Aug 18, 2011 6:13 AM

I love when folks use examples of tough players in the past that played the game old school: got tke a look at those old school tough guys: half of them can not longer form coherent sentences anymore from brain damage.

The other half can’t walk without a cane in their fifties. So I think it is great that everyone wants the game to be played like that at the expense of the players health, but something needs to be done about this.

Go take a look at the inordinante amount of football players with Lou Gerhigs and tell their families how great that style of play is.

114. suhnami says: Aug 18, 2011 10:25 AM

tbtrojan says: Aug 18, 2011 4:18 AM

nicalooch says: Aug 17, 2011 7:14 PM

———————————–

If you look at that game it was among the worst of his rookie season.

————————————

who won that game again?? hahaha bitter much from being knocked out of the playoff hunt by 3rd string Drew Stanton?? Good luck week 1 with Stafford under center is all I can say

115. suhnami says: Aug 18, 2011 10:30 AM

Anyone who watches this hit/play can see, the ball was still in Dalton’s hand when Suh hit him. Avril pushing his man into Dalton is what caused the helmet to pop off. and Dalton not falling down once he was wrapped up (rookie mistake) caused Suh to tackle him. Like or Dislike the force in which he tackled the guy, the fact is, Suh didn’t grab him by the head, Suh didn’t life him off the ground, Suh didn’t spear him with his helmet, Suh didn’t spear him into the ground. What he did do, was wrap up Dalton around the Shoulders and TACKLE HIM…a violent, ferocious tackle, but a legal and NOT DIRTY hit.

116. hatesycophants says: Aug 18, 2011 10:37 AM

@rushbacker,

Absolutely awesome post!

@bereado,

You should not be watching football… unless, of course, you accidently stumbled upon it and thought it was soccer. No one is forcing you to watch. Find another, more genteel, sport.

Go Lions! Go Badgers!

117. kchoya says: Aug 18, 2011 11:24 AM

Slackmo says:

—–

Yes, because the ONLY way a player’s helmet ever comes off is if another players rips it off.