Eli talks about his “elite” answer

Giants quarterback Eli Manning made waves Tuesday by putting himself in the same class as Pats quarterback Tom Brady.

He had a chance on Thursday as part of a DirecTV media tour to elaborate on or abandon his remarks.

He chose the former.

For more, here’s the clip from today’s PFT Live.

This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Permalink 16 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New York Giants, PFT Live, Rumor Mill, Videos
16 Responses to “Eli talks about his “elite” answer”
  1. citizenstrange says: Aug 18, 2011 3:28 PM

What Eli said was that he thinks he can be as good as any QB out there and that he didn’t want to dis (disrespect) any of the receivers currently on the team by lobbying for Burress.

Is that what passes for controversy? To me it sounds like what you should say and how you should act. Am I wrong?

2. hobartbaker says: Aug 18, 2011 3:30 PM

He wanted to go from just plain “Eli” to “Elite” so he asked Terry Bradshaw for help. Terry had the “t”, but not the “e”. Bradshaw did have an “a” which he offered to Manning, but that wasn’t going to work.

3. yzguy431 says: Aug 18, 2011 3:56 PM

as a practical matter, this is yet another great piece of football journalism. we need more attorneys to jump into sports blogging. just a little.

4. gcsuk says: Aug 18, 2011 4:10 PM

hobartbaker says: Aug 18, 2011 3:30 PM

———————————————————————–
    You know, this whole “Eli is the first 3 letters in Elite” thing is getting old. And the above comment was, quite possibly, the stupidest one I’ve read yet. I feel dumber for having read it.
    Hobart, do you realize that “Terry” STARTS with “T E”? Way to nullify your whole weak attempt at humor.

5. omegaichiban says: Aug 18, 2011 4:51 PM

Charlie Ward is STILL the best quarterback in New York.

6. hobartbaker says: Aug 18, 2011 5:18 PM

@hobartbaker – Don’t pay attention to all those critics. I got the joke.

7. ebeg420 says: Aug 18, 2011 5:32 PM

HOBARTBAKER-

That was a “knee-slapper”!
    Can you let us know when it’s ok to stop laughing?

8. denverdude7 says: Aug 18, 2011 5:43 PM

Eli Manning is nowhere near being an elite quarterback.

In fact, he is one lucky helmet catch from being merely adequate.

9. kevinfromphilly says: Aug 18, 2011 6:11 PM

Elite in the loafers, maybe.

10. glowingstone says: Aug 18, 2011 6:32 PM

Oh, fer cryin’ out loud. What’s the guy supposed to say?

“Eli, do you consider yourself to be a top-5 quarterback?”

“No, Mike; frankly, I suck.”

Really? Moronic comments aside, the guy is a good QB. One of the best? That’s debatable, but I don’t blame him for having a little self-confidence. You’re never going to be a decent QB if you doubt yourself.

11. souldogdave says: Aug 18, 2011 7:09 PM

He won a superbowl. Eli-te.

12. gcsuk says: Aug 18, 2011 7:13 PM

@hobartbaker
    You can’t have any respect for a “comic” that laughs at his own “jokes”.

13. sieg1234 says: Aug 18, 2011 7:29 PM

@glowingstone

That doesn’t make much sense. He could have deferred and given the right statement, such as: “Those kind of things are left for the fans, media; people like that to debate on and decide. For me, I just want to be the best I can possibly be and I work harder each year to improve upon the prior season, that’s all I can worry about.” Simple as that…

It’s not debatable that he is one of the best though, he’s really not even close at all.

Also, at what point does a QB need to be honest with himself? I mean should Alex Smith have the same kind of response? Should Tony Romo, Matthew Stafford, Sam Bradford? Hell, should Matt Moore and David Carr? Chad Henne? At what point does a QB need to be honest with themselves?

14. polegojim says: Aug 18, 2011 7:37 PM

C’mon you homers… the guy stuck out his chin when he said he belonged in the ‘top 5 QB in the league’ discussion. That wasn’t taken out of context.

That’s not ‘confidence’, that’s ‘delusional’.

What he should have said was: ‘I’d like to think so and that’s my target.’ What he said was laughable and an excellent storyline.

He’s not even remotely in the same sentence as ‘the top 5 or elite’… He deserves the slaps.

What makes an elite QB? Elite results. His are mediocre-to-good.

Good QB – OK, but that’s about it.

15. insider7 says: Aug 18, 2011 7:56 PM

Every time this twit opens his mouth, he proves that he’s just a goober who graduated from Ole Sis.

16. glowingstone says: Aug 18, 2011 8:59 PM

@seig1234:

Baloney. He could have answered the question any number of ways, your way being one of them, the way he actually did answer being another. Your answer was fine; his was too.

And spare me the “he’s not even close” crap. You don’t win a Super Bowl with a mediocre QB under center. Sorry.

Like I said, one of the best? Maybe; maybe not. Good enough to help his team win a Super Bowl? Obviously.