Vick says it was his own decision to go to Philly

Eagles quarterback Vick raises his hands as he exits the field after defeating the Ravens in their NFL preseason football game in Philadelphia Pennsylvania Reuters

And now we know why the Eagles didn’t want Mike Vick to be interviewed by Oprah Winfrey.

In an interview with Will Leitch and published by GQ, Vick said that he wanted to sign in 2009 with the Bills or the Bengals, and that he was steered by the league to Philadelphia.

Here’s the key passage from the article:  “‘I think I can say this now, because it’s not going to hurt anybody’s feelings, and it’s the truth,’ Vick tells me. . . .  “I didn’t want to come to Philadelphia.  Being the third-team quarterback is nothing to smile about. Cincinnati and Buffalo were better options.’  Those two teams wanted him and would’ve allowed him to start, but after meeting with commissioner Roger Goodell and other reps from the NFL, Vick was convinced — and granted league approval — to sign with Philly.  ‘And I commend and thank them, because they put me in the right situation.'”

Though Vick isn’t directly quoted as saying that Commissioner Roger Goodell or anyone else with the league recommended, suggested, and/or ordered that Vick go to the Eagles, the narrative information provided by Leitch makes it clear that Vick said something along those lines.

So what is Vick saying now?  Like the league has done, Vick has denied that he was steered to Philly.

Here’s the full statement that he has released, through the Eagles:  “I felt it was necessary to put out a statement today clarifying the article in GQ Magazine.  I did speak with many people, but the decision to sign in Philadelphia was based on my discussions with my agent, my family and with Coach Reid.  And after those discussions, it became clear to me that this was the place I wanted to play and resume my NFL career.  The Commissioner never told me to sign or not sign with particular teams.  Again, I want to make it perfectly clear that this was a decision I made and, as I have said numerous times before, I’m very happy with the way it has worked out for me and my family.”

Read the statement carefully.  Does he say he didn’t get advice from Goodell or from any other league officials?  Nope.

And who’s the “they” to whom Vick is referring when he says “they” put him “in the right situation”?  His agent?  His family?  Coach Reid?  Or the league?

The fact that it was a print interview gives Vick the ability to say that he didn’t say what he said (of course, audiotapes of the interview possibly exist — we’ve contacted Leitch with that very question) makes a print interview far less risky than a televised Q&A.  If Vick had said what he said (or what he now claims he didn’t say) while sitting on the remnants of Tom Cruise’s size sixes, Vick would have zero wiggle room.  [Editor’s note:  We are not claiming as a matter of fact that Tom Cruise wears size six shoes.  We also are making no other comments or reports regarding any other aspect of Cruise’s shoes, boots, and/or loafers.]

Look for the Eagles to put the clamps on Vick, who has been increasingly available and chatty, over the next few weeks and possibly beyond.  And whoever suggested that it made sense for Vick to do the GQ interview can look forward to some sort of a finger wagging from someone with the team.

Permalink 111 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Cincinnati Bengals, Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
111 Responses to “Vick says it was his own decision to go to Philly”
  1. rpiotr01 says: Aug 18, 2011 1:54 PM

It was also his decision to drown, electrocute and torture those dogs too.

2. thephantomstranger says: Aug 18, 2011 1:55 PM

“‘I think I can say this now, because it’s not going to hurt anybody’s feelings”

Good thinking. Yeah, who would care?

3. spillertime21 says: Aug 18, 2011 1:55 PM

Translation: ‘Roger goodell called me personally and told me to change my story to not make him look like the hypocrite that he is’

4. southbeachtalent says: Aug 18, 2011 1:55 PM

Wow full on damage control by the league and Vick.

5. souljalb says: Aug 18, 2011 1:58 PM

Who cares….he is an Eagle. Enough said

6. scudbot says: Aug 18, 2011 1:58 PM

Snicker. Congrats to all you tin hatters who still will believe Vick over the commish. This just goes to *prove* the league is squashing Vick, right?

7. lgbarn says: Aug 18, 2011 1:59 PM

After I remove my “I hate anything Philly hat”.

I have to say “who cares”. It clearly was the best decision for him and you have to give Andy Reid and McNabb props for getting him there and embracing him.

Now I can put my “I hate anything Philly hat” back on

8. sportsfuhnatic says: Aug 18, 2011 1:59 PM

Also expect the league to start fining any player that does an interview with GQ magazine…

20K sounds about right…regardless of the player’s current salary

9. eaglesfootballfan says: Aug 18, 2011 2:00 PM

I’m Just glad Vick is an Eagle. God knows what we would be if Kolb was our QB.

10. caseysarasota says: Aug 18, 2011 2:00 PM

uh-oh…someone got a call from Goodell.

11. Land Snark says: Aug 18, 2011 2:00 PM

Has no one learned that doing an interview for a magazine will lead to massive pitfalls?

Who’s the next fool to open the big yap and have to backtrack on something they were “misquoted” on?

12. hanifmiller says: Aug 18, 2011 2:00 PM

“Though Vick isn’t directly quoted as saying that Commissioner Roger Goodell or anyone else with the league recommended…” Nuff said!! Now please stop fishing and get back to providing us with RELEVANT football news that is accurate and not just conjecture.

13. stillersfan says: Aug 18, 2011 2:01 PM

Did no one pay attention to the comment he made, that the media is the only one perpetuating the bias towards him regarding the dogfighting?

14. joeinoh says: Aug 18, 2011 2:01 PM

Keep talking. The hole is getting deeper.

15. elgramo84 says: Aug 18, 2011 2:02 PM

Goodell you can can burn in hell

16. greenbleeder says: Aug 18, 2011 2:03 PM

Mike,

I don’t care if this was a shotgun wedding situation. We love you dearly and we’re happy you’re here over the weak-armed Kolb (read: AZ is suckaz)

E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES!!!!!!!!!

17. twitter:Chapman_Jamie says: Aug 18, 2011 2:04 PM

Nice try Mike, we all know the truth now, stop back tracking. Same with Goodell. We all know he spoke the truth in that interview.

18. daburgher says: Aug 18, 2011 2:04 PM

Goodell is bad for football… the owners need to get him out of there

19. joeinoh says: Aug 18, 2011 2:05 PM

Maybe the NFL can hire Tyrelle or TaRell or T. Pryor to run their PR Department now that he has a five game suspension to serve and won’t be drafted.

20. citizenstrange says: Aug 18, 2011 2:06 PM

When Roger Goodell destroyed the cheating tapes that the Patriots turned over to him the nanosecond he received them told me all I needed to know about his integrity.

Don’t ever believe a word he says.

21. stampede101 says: Aug 18, 2011 2:06 PM

I love it when a “players statement” is released through the team…because you can easily tell by the way it reads that the player had nothing to do with writing it. Read Vick’s GQ quote…and then read the statement. #damagecontrol

22. andrewfbrowne says: Aug 18, 2011 2:06 PM

This is smelly. We offer you advice on where to go, and we also control whether or not you can be reinstated by the league.

If he wanted to start and was serious about it, do you think the league could have said, “well then we do not know if we can reinstate you Michael.” Obviously it is conjecture and completely unable to be proved as fact, but it really stinks if you are a Bills fan or Bengals fan.

Eagles were able to trade away D McNabb and K Kolb, for three 2nd picks and a 4th rd pick, do you think that happens without Vick on the roster?

Patriots lose a 1st rd pick in a round where they already have two for cheating and now this. I really am losing a lot of respect for the league.

23. pencepost says: Aug 18, 2011 2:07 PM

I’m all for a good conspiracy theory, but if league officials did steer him toward the Eagles, I think it’s a lot more likely it’s because they wanted him to start his comeback as a 3rd-string QB rather than a starter. I don’t buy that they wanted him in Philly over Buffalo due to big-market vs. small-market team or any sort of preferential treatment to a team.

24. spillertime21 says: Aug 18, 2011 2:07 PM

Yeah it doesn’t hurt anyone feelings. Well, except bills and bengals fans who now know that league officials and the commissioner himself deter franchise QBs from coming to play for their teams.
    I think it’s about time for goodell to deliver his ‘its all about the fans’ speech again

25. mikea311 says: Aug 18, 2011 2:07 PM

I hate Vick and the Eagles but this does look bad for the league. If i was an eagle fan i wouldn’t care, but if i found out Vick was possibly steered away from my team, I’d be pissed.

26. depotnator says: Aug 18, 2011 2:08 PM

Hey, football is BACK! No need for these soap opera exposes anymore – the readership wants to read about football on the field, not imaginary controversies created by the media that have nothing to do with football. Lost in all this discussion is Tony Dungy’s influence on Vick’s decision…naturally, the media swings and strikes out on the real story.

27. raiderlyfe510 says: Aug 18, 2011 2:11 PM

Goodell isn’t even qualified to run a Pop Warner league. He’s gonna destroy the NFL. Watch how many blackouts there going to be nationwide.

28. anactualnflowner says: Aug 18, 2011 2:12 PM

Wow in a 24-hour period it becomes evident that Roger Goodell is directign free agent traffic and enforcing NCAA rules. I thought college football was dirty.

29. anactualnflowner says: Aug 18, 2011 2:14 PM

Somewhere Will Leitch is being put in a head-lock while a man asks him in a German accent where the microfilm is…

30. anactualnflowner says: Aug 18, 2011 2:17 PM

Over/Under? In 4 hours, nfl.com will take down the headline “Guided Home”…

31. johnnycamparm says: Aug 18, 2011 2:17 PM

Just use the old “They misquoted me” excuse… It worked for James Harrison.

32. pnut87 says: Aug 18, 2011 2:17 PM

This is from a Giants fan before I say anything. As much as I hate the Eagles I’m putting that aside for the time being.

This all just seems like a huge ploy to make Vick look bad because of the man that he was. I love my dogs, and I’ll never forgive him for what he’s done, but I’m willing to give him a chance to turn his life around. The media constantly throwing garbage in his direction is disgusting. He mad the choice to sign with Philly, and I doubt that he’s regretting it right now. He’s in a good place, and he’s winning. And to everyone that keeps dropping the dog fighting thing every time his name his name is mentioned, yeah, he did it. He’s done his time. He’s kicked himself up and down for it. He’s doing his damn best to do right by it. If he screws it up again, then yeah, lock him up and throw away the key. Like I said, I’ll never forgive him for what he did in the past, but I’m willing to let him move on. Enough of it already.

33. flboyindallas says: Aug 18, 2011 2:18 PM

Not supporting Goodell here, but my guess would be that it wasn’t about playing team favorites…it was more about the support structure in place to give Vick the strong guidance he needed to be successful. He would’ve pretty much been allowed to run free without much control if he went to Buffalo or Cincy. Not so in Philly.

This was more about Goodell covering his a$$ by putting Vick in the most controlled environment he could find, thereby limiting his chances of screwing up again and making the Commish look like an idiot for reinstating him.

34. spillertime21 says: Aug 18, 2011 2:20 PM

The commish is from the buffalo area. He must have lost a lot of $$$$$$ on those bills superbowls and this is his way of getting back at the franchise

35. stinkfingers says: Aug 18, 2011 2:20 PM

Roger Goodell steered him to say that.

36. jagerbmb says: Aug 18, 2011 2:20 PM

I call BS, the only thing worse than a major screw up is a major cover up.

37. supashug says: Aug 18, 2011 2:21 PM

he needed to be steered by the NFL 5 years ago

this was a non story all day long

38. tkraw33 says: Aug 18, 2011 2:21 PM

Roger Goodell needs to go. Now.

39. raiderlyfe510 says: Aug 18, 2011 2:25 PM

Goodell is a complete joke. You dont sway a player’s decision. It’s bad for the league..as a fan I would have loved to see what Vick could do with a team like Buffalo or Cincy under Marvin Lewis.

He’s just messing up everything,, the whole competitive balance of the league…he’s a joke.

40. jnks10 says: Aug 18, 2011 2:26 PM

The Eagles offered Mike Vick up to any team in the NFL last off season and their asking price was a 5th round pick. If the Bills, Bengals, or anyone else wanted him that bad or thought he was going to be this good then why didn’t they do that trade?

41. howmnyplayoffwinsugot says: Aug 18, 2011 2:27 PM

haters gonna hate.- still with the dogs, who cares its a friggin dog… Just mad the ultimate weapon isnt on your team, blame Goodell, blame vick blame reid blame santa blame steve smith blame cliff lee we dont care we got him you dont see you in the playoffs losers

42. jakek2 says: Aug 18, 2011 2:27 PM

So what if Vick didn’t want to play for the (wet) Dream Team? King Goodell put him there so that’s all that matters. Two scummy peas in a pod.

43. falcnfan says: Aug 18, 2011 2:27 PM

The media writes what it wants….

44. saturn1111 says: Aug 18, 2011 2:31 PM

Hey Mike, it’s time to roll out the old “put the toopaste back in the tube” material again.

45. gpete1962 says: Aug 18, 2011 2:31 PM

Goodel, Dungy and Vick should all talk to each other next time before they cover up there lies

What a bunch of Morons !!

46. illwillthemick says: Aug 18, 2011 2:31 PM

well lets us all remember vick was talking with tony dungy as well…. he wasnt coachin then so he was more or less the NFL person helpin him make a decision.. get it… got it… good

47. nbaraie says: Aug 18, 2011 2:33 PM

If this is true, it is no different than a judge influencing a jury in favor of a particular side. A judge would be disbarred in this case.

Goodell is essentially the “judge” of the NFL. The circumstances are irrelevant, he is required to be impartial to all 32 teams. Even if he felt he was helping Vick and the league, he still did damage to these 2 teams. Compensation should be given. If this isnt a clear case of collusion, I don’t know what is. This is behavior I expect from Vince McMahon, not the commissioner of the greatest league in the world.

If the allegations are true, of course. ( We will never know).

48. gadzod says: Aug 18, 2011 2:37 PM

jnks10 says:
    Aug 18, 2011 2:26 PM
    —————————————————-

Why should the Bengals or the Bills have to pay the salary he made in Philly AND give up a 5th round pick when he would have gone to those teams in the first place according to him?

49. nflofficeadmin says: Aug 18, 2011 2:37 PM

“You see Mike , we just can’t have you come back into the league and have that kinda success yet… ya see, if you go to Buffalo or Cincy, you’re gonna start right away and be a big star… and we don’t want that to happen just yet. – Mike, here’s the deal. If you go to Philadelphia, I’ll feel more comfortable letting you back in the league. I don’t see you getting a reinstatement from my office any other way. Whatd’ya say Mike? Do we have a deal?… “

50. petehemlock says: Aug 18, 2011 2:38 PM

I’m sitting back waiting for people to see Saddam Goodell as the meddling arrogant moralist dictator that he is. So sick of it.

51. dansnydersux says: Aug 18, 2011 2:42 PM

Sometimes, it’s just best to keep your mouth shut.

52. bleedeaglegreen says: Aug 18, 2011 2:49 PM

It’s great to see how Vick handles himself without the watchful eye of the league & the Eagles to coach him on what to say. When neither are around & he’s left to his own devices, he continuously (as he always has) put’s his foot in his mouth.

Then AS HE ALWAYS HAS, he LIES to try & say he was misquoted & he never said the things or did the things everyone knows he did.

This guy is pathological, sociopathic liar. That’s all he’s ever been, it’s all hell ever be.
    But the Vick fans will as always stick their heads in the sand & tell everyone how Vick is being persecuted once again. Poor little Mike Vick, everyone misquotes him & never, ever does anything wrong. He told us in this SAME interview how the outrage over his actions are media driven & in his “circle” it’s much more positive. Must be the same obtuse fools that were at his b-day party…

He’s the most disingenuous POS there is, he’s never told the truth a day in his life & we see this hasn’t nor will it ever change.

53. clintonportisheadd says: Aug 18, 2011 2:49 PM

I don’t see why folks in Buffalo or Cincinnati would be upset. Most fans don’t want their teams associated with felons who shoot and electrocute helpless animals.

Even though the Philly fan has a national reputation as a drunken violent,overweight loser, it’s hard to imagine even a small majority of them being OK with Vick in an Eagles uniform. I have to believe most applaud Vick’s on field performance with one hand as the other is occupied holding the owners nose.

54. hobartbaker says: Aug 18, 2011 2:52 PM

Mike Vick was convinced when the league assured him that even though he would have to spend a year backing up in Philly, Dono McNabb would be traded away the following season, Kornpone Kolb would suffer an injury early in the year, and he would be given a near MVP season for his patience. A trip to the Super Bowl was tossed around awhile, but the league ultimately decided against it on the grounds that Aaron Rodgers needed some credibility in G.B. to make Brett Favre’s retirement seem less negative. They were tired of depending on Favre to keep the league relevant every year, and intended to have a stern word with the refs after they failed to have him permanently crippled in the 2009 NFC Champioship Game.

55. CKL says: Aug 18, 2011 2:56 PM

flboyindallas says: Aug 18, 2011 2:18 PM

____________________________________

I understand WHY they would want to do it…my problem is that I think it’s BS. IF and I emphasize IF he was steered towards Philly by someone who works for the NFL (and Vick’s comment, “I don’t think it can hurt anyone’s feelings now” certainly suggests it was done) it invalidates the entire reinstatement of Vick. When a guy is reinstated it’s supposedly due to RG feeling the guy has proven enough to him to be able to be in the league again. Part of that is a guy making his own decisions and dealing with the consequences that arise from that. If Goodell feels the guy isn’t there yet, then why did he reinstate him? If Dungy wants to tell Vick his feelings and steer him one way or the other, that’s just fine. He’s not in the NFL and he is his adviser.

Did he do this for Plaxico????? I say no because what moron would STEER Plaxico towards playing in the same town he didn’t know the gun laws for and got in trouble there to begin with. So he reinstated Plax and let him make his own decision as it should be. If this allegation about Vick is true it’s not only a gross overstepping of Goodell’s bounds but also blatant favoritism.

56. boothisman says: Aug 18, 2011 3:01 PM

After seeing how the Eagles treated McNabb, I’m amazed any qb would want to play there.

57. triggerfist says: Aug 18, 2011 3:01 PM

who is vick?

58. chizzle20 says: Aug 18, 2011 3:02 PM

Who freakin’ cares?! The lockout is over there’s no point in clogging the news with this stuff.

59. dasportsninja says: Aug 18, 2011 3:03 PM

Ok, well not only did the “direct” him to the Eagles, now “they” directed to him take back his comments.

60. dasportsninja says: Aug 18, 2011 3:04 PM

The NFL should be ashamed, I have a feeling this is not the first time or will it be the last time players are offered “suggestion” on what team they should play on.

61. dasportsninja says: Aug 18, 2011 3:06 PM

I would like to take this oppertunity to thank the Commish for helping Mike Vick make this decision. You da man Roger!

signed,

Eagles Fan

62. pack93z says: Aug 18, 2011 3:07 PM

NFL security will be visiting GQ to recover and burn interview notes.. nothing to see there.. lol.

63. dasportsninja says: Aug 18, 2011 3:07 PM

The NFL will never admit that things like this happen, however, if I was the owner of the Bills or Bengles I’d make some serious noise. I doubt that they will, but they should seek some sort of compensation in the form of draft picks, and or money.

64. mike83ri says: Aug 18, 2011 3:09 PM

Maybe I’m crazy, but maybe this is what happened:

1. Vick was leaning towards a team with no good QBs because he’d have a better chance of becoming a starter again.
    2. Talking to Goodell and others, it was recommended that he not use ‘play ASAP’ as his biggest motivator for selecting a team. Perhaps going to an organization in which Vick determined he could rely on a steady coaching staff to learn from and settle in would be best.
    3. Vick considered the advice, and decided that maybe playing for a guy named Dick Jauron might be for only 1 year (he was fired after that year) or Marvin Lewis (who should have been fired long ago) might not be the best situation.
    4. Vick made the decision on his own and changed his mind, in part due to the advice given by Goodell.

65. dasportsninja says: Aug 18, 2011 3:13 PM

I actually feel bad for Bills and Bengles fans. What a sham. This is completly unacceptable, for the commissioner to sterr players to certain markets/teams.

66. dasportsninja says: Aug 18, 2011 3:15 PM

To quote James Harrison, every word out of Goodell’s mouth is a lie. This guy is a tyrant and can’t be trusted.

67. dasportsninja says: Aug 18, 2011 3:22 PM

Remember when Goodell “lost” those tapes of the Patriots cheating.

68. bigbluefan56 says: Aug 18, 2011 3:23 PM

This isnt even an illegal matter and they guy still has no integrity. I cant wait to see him carted off the field this season…. If only one of Shortywoods pit bulls could be chasing him……

69. phillycheez says: Aug 18, 2011 3:27 PM

Both the Bengals and the Bills, not to mention every other team in the league, had a chance to trade for him prior to last season. The Eagles received NO CALLS inquiring about a trade for Vick. Besides, Philly offered the most money.

70. skulman7 says: Aug 18, 2011 3:30 PM

I dont think it’s a terrible thing. No one envisioned that Vick would emerge as a star player (for Philly anyway). They put him on a team with a well-respected coaching staff behind a respected veteran to sit for a year (or two if the Eagles decided to pick up his option, which they thankfully did).

It just so happened to work out for all sides so far.

But I’m with the rest in the “Who Cares?” Category

71. timasahh says: Aug 18, 2011 3:32 PM

Wow, so Vick wanted to start after getting out of jail and not sit on the bench? And then got sound advice and took it and has been doing all the right things since?

What a terrible person. How dare he say that. People read too much into things.

72. stockdogdca says: Aug 18, 2011 3:32 PM

howmnyplayoffwinsugot says:
    Aug 18, 2011 2:27 PM

I agree, hater’s just can’t get over the dog thing ! Vick was stripped over EVERY dollar he had, contracts, dignity, marketability , etc. He pays his dues, comes back and is STILL one of the most talented NFL players in the history of the game and “scrubs” have got to slam him ! As they say, “everyone slips and falls into the mud on occassion but not everyone has the internal drive to wipe off the mud and get the heck Back Up !”

73. dave1961 says: Aug 18, 2011 3:52 PM

Next week Roger Goodell will tell Mike Brown of the Bengals and Ralph Wilson of Buffalo…. “You’re commissioner is not a crook!” and hold up his fingers on both sides in a peace sign …. my question is who suspends the commissioner for things detrimental to the league…Congress? LMAO… and you don’t think the refs fix games for Pittsburgh…. hahaha.

74. birdobeamen says: Aug 18, 2011 3:52 PM

Come on guys, we all know if Vick would have gone anywhere else BUT Philly, they wouldn’t have been able to put this DREAM TEAM together!

IT WAS ALL A SET-UP BY GOODELL BECAUSE HE’S SECRETLY FROM PHILLY AND WANTS TO GET PHILLY A SUPERBOWL CHAMPIONSHIP! VICK BEING FORCED TO PHILLY AND THE EAGLES GETTING ALL THE TOP FREE AGENTS WAS A SET-UP BY THE NFL SO THAT THEY WOULD HAVE A NEW DYNASTY!!!!!!

……….and as an Eagles fan — I approve.

75. youdownwithjpp says: Aug 18, 2011 3:54 PM

howmnyplayoffwinsugot says: Aug 18, 2011 2:27 PM

——————————————————-

Who do you blame for your poor punctuation, limited vocabulary, distracting sentence structure, and horribly misguided ego?

76. returnofmeezle says: Aug 18, 2011 3:54 PM

is it wrong to for the commish to give Vick advice on a personal level? “Hey Mike, if I were in your shles I would consider thi

77. dave1961 says: Aug 18, 2011 3:56 PM

Stay tuned next week when the story comes out Roger Goodell has mob connections… lol…. James Harrison was right when he called the comish the “Devil”

78. nocryinginbaseball07 says: Aug 18, 2011 4:02 PM

“Even though the Philly fan has a national reputation as a drunken violent,overweight loser……”

Wow. Way to trash an entire fan base! That’s classy.

And what’s a “small majority”? Same as a large minority?

79. offsideburns says: Aug 18, 2011 4:06 PM

Sounds like TAMPERING, wonder what the punishment will be (no ho ho’s for a week)

80. saturn1111 says: Aug 18, 2011 4:07 PM

Vick was an ex-con who was universally loathed. Can you blame the league for wanting him to go to a team with a strong structure in place?

Can you imagine if he had gone to Cleveland, Oakland, Cincy, or Buffalo, started, and sucked? What a downward spiral it would’ve been. Who knows what kind of trouble he would have gotten himself into ? What a black eye it would have been for the league.

But on teams like the Eagles, Steelers, and Patriots (or perhaps the Colts), there would be more structure, more support, no need to be in the starter’s role right away, and lower risk.

Of course they couldn’t *make* Vick go where they wanted, but if they gave him advice to go to Philly instead of Cincy or Buffalo, they’re allowed to do that. And you know what? They were right to do that.

81. btowngetsdown says: Aug 18, 2011 4:11 PM

Loafers huh? I see where you’re going with that. Some measurement of weight might have been your hidden reference. Well played.

82. iggles20 says: Aug 18, 2011 4:15 PM

I just do not care about this “story”. I don’t see why the Eagles would “clamp down” on Vick speaking to the media. At the end of the day, I’m glad he’s a Philadelphia Eagle. Moving on.

83. youdownwithjpp says: Aug 18, 2011 4:22 PM

Is anyone familiar with Andys’ kids? I don’t by the whole “strong structure” scapegoat.

84. macjacmccoy says: Aug 18, 2011 4:25 PM

It doesnt really matter if he was or wasnt steered to Philly or if he would have rather played for a team like the Bills or Bengals where he could start right away. It is clear that Philly is where he wants to be now and there is not a better place for him to play.

Personally I believe that after consideration he realized Philly is where he wanted to be. Because I very much doubt he would have signed a 2 year contract with the Eagles if he was forced to go their by the league instead of a place like Buffalo that he supposedly wanted to sign with more. I doubt the league would have said not only do we want you to sign with the Eagles but we also want you to sign a 2 year contract with them. If he was really worried about getting a starting job as soon as possible he would have signed a 1 year deal in Philly, do all the right things to make the league happy and then sign with a team that gave him the best chance of being a starter again. It just makes no sense to sign a 2 year deal with a team that you were forced to play for. And also makes no sense for the league to not only force him to go to philly but to also force him to commit to them for 2 years.

Putting those obvious holes in the story a side I would actually like it if it was true. I would have more respect for Goodell . It shows his respect for the Eagles and also shows his knowledge of football which is something I have doubted. Because it would show that he knows what it takes to make a player successful and realizes that he would be able to get those things in Philly more so then in Buffalo or Cincinatti . He success with the Eagles proves that.

But still I doubt it happened. I dont doubt that the league Goodell Dungy his Agent and eventually Andy gave him advice on what the best situation for him would be. But that’s probably as far as it went.

Either way it doesnt make me like Vick Goodell Dungy Reid or the NFL anymore or any less.

85. thefirstsmilergrogan says: Aug 18, 2011 4:29 PM

and we were spared the fun of seeing vick run for his life, if he were even able that year, and searching for that great routerunner t.o. in the buffalo snow….

86. 7to10for6allday says: Aug 18, 2011 4:31 PM

Who cares! Sorry about your luck buffalo and cincinnati. You could’ve traded for kolb or mcnabb when we had them but your FO thought Fitzpatrick and Dalton are the way to go. Nice move! Go eagles!

87. skinsfandcdan83 says: Aug 18, 2011 4:43 PM

As a Redskins fan, I really dont care who steered or convinced Vick to play in Philly…Lets just play football and let the man live!!! Besides there wouldnt be a “DREAM TEAM” WITHOUT Vick right????

88. melonnhead says: Aug 18, 2011 4:44 PM

Wow, all of this hand-wringing over a diseased scumbag sociopath that would still be getting his jollies by torturing defenseless animals if he hadn’t gotten caught. Should have just banned him for life.

89. nineroutsider says: Aug 18, 2011 4:45 PM

I bet the league is mandating that the Niners lose as well because they are still irked at Eddy for his foray into the Louisiana gambling scene.

All joking aside…hopefully they mandate that the Eagles lose another NFC Championship game this year because 1) I still hate the dog killer even though I like watching him play and do feel that he served his time (he is the only player that I hope gets hurt, drowned, tortured, electrocuted, or raped on every play) and 2) I love hanging the ‘empty trophy case’ over Eagles fans.

90. habsman says: Aug 18, 2011 4:49 PM

The Pats were fined 750,000 total, and lost their first round pick for………………..

Filming defensive signals, on the side line, infront of 80,000 fans…….

By a guy (Roger GODell) who once worked for the NY Jets.

Lets face it, we are constantly reminded that Roger is the real cheater.

91. mlmeier says: Aug 18, 2011 4:55 PM

I get why people hate Philly, I do. But step back a moment and realize that this is a non-story. Vick wanted to be a starter. That’s why he was eying Buffalo (though not sure about Cincy; maybe he anticipated Carson leaving), and that’s why he didn’t want Philly at first (because he’d have been third string). But at the end of the day, he did what any person would do in his shoes and listened to the advice of those around him (most notably Tony Dungy, who was a strong mentor for him while in prison) and chose the team he thought was best for himself and his career. Plus, keep in mind that there’s a strong chance he would not have turned out being as good as he is now were it not for the coaching of Andy Reid and Marty Mornhinweg—between the two of them, they have strongly influenced and shaped the careers of Brett Favre, Steve Young, Jeff Garcia, Donovan McNabb, and Michael Vick.

92. melonnhead says: Aug 18, 2011 5:06 PM

—————————————————————-

Or maybe all of that salary cap cheating.

93. zeussuperman says: Aug 18, 2011 5:11 PM

pencepost says: Aug 18, 2011 2:07 PM

—————————–

Don’t tell that to these Chicken Littles!

Jeez, what a huge bunch of femmes.

There’s no crying in football, fellas!

94. chrisvegas says: Aug 18, 2011 5:18 PM

Who Cares? Which is more exciting to watch? Vick in Philly or Vick in Buffalo? Enough said!!!!

95. zeussuperman says: Aug 18, 2011 5:22 PM

clintonportisheadd says: Aug 18, 2011 2:49 PM

—————————–

It’s funny to hear such smack coming from the city who’s reputation is of housing the morons that ruined the entire U.S.A./ World economy. Oh, right, D.C. also consistently ranks as murder capital of the nation and ties many third-world hellhole cities.

Other than that, you’re right. Most Philly fans have a marriage of convenience with Vick. You’re also right that a lot of hypocrites have been created in the past two days in both of those cities — so what’s worse? Cheering for the dog killer as he plays on your team, or getting butthurt because he’s not playing on your team? I’m looking at you, too, LOLskins.

96. melonnhead says: Aug 18, 2011 5:42 PM

—————————————————————–

Only because of it’s proximity to Virginia. Guess who else is from Virginia? I’ll give you a hint. Quanis Phillips got shot at his birthday party.

97. ezwriter69 says: Aug 18, 2011 5:48 PM

Of course the NFL did everything they could to put Vick in the best possible situation to succeed, OFF the field. The NFL had a lot to lose had Vick failed, they were very vulnerable, as they took a tremendous amount of criticism just for allowing Vick to return. Had he failed, the criticism would have been ten times as great. It was in everyone’s best interest that he come back to the best possible situation. Of COURSE they did everything they could to help Vick succeed off the field… they’d have been stupid not to, and it benefits everyone in the league, and most of all Vick of course, that it appears to have worked stunningly well. This was smart, no-brainer management of a multi-billion dollar corporation.

98. hawkapalooza says: Aug 18, 2011 5:52 PM

flboyindallas says:
    Aug 18, 2011 2:18 PM
    ——————————-

Yeah, ask Andy Reid’s kid how that worked out.

99. MichaelEdits says: Aug 18, 2011 5:53 PM

Tom Cruise has to stand on a stool to kiss the girl in his movies. And even then he might not enjoy it.

100. nofunleague says: Aug 18, 2011 6:08 PM

A crooked commish throwing a crooked player under the crooked bus. More on the Cartoon channel.

101. macjacmccoy says: Aug 18, 2011 6:14 PM

Stop Bills and Bengals fans acting like you got robbed. You know why Vick is so good right now? Because he went to Philly and got taught by the same man who turned Favre into the nobody for Atlanta to the Superstar in Green Bay, turned Mcnabb into a borderline hall of famer, made AJ Feeley a serviceable qb and a 2nd round pick, turned Garcia into a complete bust who was given up on by every team he played for into a guy who went 5-1 in the regular season, won the NFC East, won a play off game, and got him another shot at being and NFL starter in Tampa, turned Kevin Kolb from a guy everyone called a 2 round reach in the draft into the first player to start his career with 2 300 yard passing games and now a franchise qb who brought the Eagles a 2nd round pick and 1 of the best young cb in football who is a former pro bowler.

If Vick went to your teams he would still be the guy who couldnt stand still in the pocket to save his life, who would run every other play, whose foot work would be so horrible that he couldnt consistently be accurate enough to hit a reciever in the numbers 10 yards down the field, who couldnt read a defense or a blitz, and who wouldnt no what it takes to be a leader and a consistent winner. That is who he was before he came to Philly and who he would be if he was on your team. He is only not those things because he went to Philly and had the advantage of watching Mcnabb and learning from Reid.

Dungy, Mcnabb, Goodell, and everyone else who were helping Vick transition back into the world and the NFL knew that and is why they advised him that his best option would probably be to join the Philadelphia. I dont see whats wrong with that. Its like you people dont know the difference between forcing or advising someone to do something.

102. kevpft says: Aug 18, 2011 6:17 PM

eaglesfootballfan says:
    Aug 18, 2011 2:00 PM
    I’m Just glad Vick is an Eagle. God knows what we would be if Kolb was our QB.

Yeah, it could have been bad – you might have even flamed out early in the playoffs last season! Whew!

103. hailvictory10 says: Aug 18, 2011 6:18 PM

Enjoy not winning ANY Super Bowls Vick and Eagles

Super Bowls
    Redskins 3
    Eagles ZIP

104. stampnhawk says: Aug 18, 2011 7:02 PM

I’m guessing Tony Dungy, who was his NFL appointed advisor, was the one who steered him into a more stable situaton all around in Philly.
    Being a starter right off the bat was not what he needed, rather earning a spot and staying out of the direct spotlight was the better approach and hopefully humble him a bit as a player and man. Plus, too many guys with records in the Cincy locker room back the he may have violated parole just by showing up to practice.

105. scott8nj says: Aug 18, 2011 7:09 PM

This is why O.J. didn’t take the stand.

106. tigrrrr says: Aug 18, 2011 7:40 PM

Vick is a loser! Get out of our NFL!

107. zeussuperman says: Aug 18, 2011 7:43 PM

melonnhead says: Aug 18, 2011 5:42 PM

——————————-

Awesome, dude. Mike Vick is a scumbag. Not gonna defend him as a man.

He’s still better than your all-hype QB, who plays HIDE AND SEEK with his dude friends during his bachelor party. Lolz.

108. justadude71 says: Aug 18, 2011 7:56 PM

I have to agree with flboyindallas. They wanted Vick in the most controlled environment. Who can blame them? Killing dogs is just cruel and Vicks story about not knowing any better is weak to put it nicely. People are able to understand the difference between right and wrong in such clear cut cases. It says something about Vick’s judgement that he could not.

Nudging Vick towards Philly was to put him in an environment that would afford him the most support.

109. hawkapalooza says: Aug 19, 2011 2:36 AM

After pondering…is this the first time Vick has taken responsibility for one of his decisions?

110. aajaxx says: Aug 19, 2011 12:35 PM

Now we know the league not only told him where to go, they tell him what he can’t say and must say about it.

Meanwhile, I wonder how Buffalo and Cincinnati feel about the Commish now.

111. jrm0279 says: Aug 19, 2011 1:34 PM

It amazes me how most of you believe what you read. First of all, it does not say he was forced or ordered to go to the Eagles. It just says steered. And even if he was steered that way it was still HIS final decision. Further more, it’s the NFL so of course it’s all about the money and the marketing. If you are an NFL fan you already know that so this shouldn’t be a surprise and it shouldn’t upset you like this. And let’s face it…. it’s the Bengals and the Bills we are talking about… Even Vick can’t help them. ;-)