Chad Ochocinco shows he’s “got a long way to go”

Getty Images

The good part about Chad Ochocinco’s role in New England:  He’s only one weapon on an offense that includes Wes Welker, Aaron Hernandez, Rob Gronkowski, Deion Branch and a gang of running backs.

The bad part, at least for Ocho:  The former Bengal may not be any more important than the guys above.

Tom Curran of CSNNE.com writes Friday that Ochocinco has a long way to go to integrate himself into the offense, despite his short touchdown on Thursday.  Ochocinco got pulled off the field at one point by Bill Belichick and chewed out, apparently for failing to block.

Another drive was spent on the sideline with receivers coach Chad O’Shea in his ear.

“It’s like a machine out there and I’m that one part that’s not up with anybody else,” Ochocinco admitted. “I got a long way to go, personally. … “I’m behind the 8-ball tremendously.”

Curran points out that Tom Brady isn’t fully confident in Ocho yet. It sounds like Ocho isn’t confident in himself either.

“I need them to stay in my ear constantly, especially during the preseason,” Ochocinco said. “The more I hear, the more I can absorb and become a sponge. The more relaxed I am, the better I play.”

70 responses to “Chad Ochocinco shows he’s “got a long way to go”

1. Chad never threw one single block in Cincinnati, why would he start now? He’s good at the tough catches and has to make the easy catches tough by leaving his feet or jumping unnecessarily. He does work VERY hard, but he won’t play without style and blocking cramps his style. New England knew that. It’s up to Chad to learn how to block or maybe he will get cut, as previously rumored.

2. That is why he was booted from Cinci…all mouth….no heart….The biggest knock on Ocho in the Nati is that if you watch tape on Ocho, he never ever runs after the catch…he just drops to the ground, and if he does run, he looks out of place and scared…A J Green is twice the receiver Ocho will ever be….that is a fact…Ocho is talented, but no heart…common theme today

3. Surely Belichick was aware that Ocho is NOTORIOUS for not blocking before he traded for him. It’ll be interesting to see if he can break the habit.

4. Well hopefully you’ll get on the same page with Brady by the time the season starts, so you can wreak havoc come gametime.

Ochocinco only needs about 2-3 years with Brady finish out his Hall of Fame career…….Brady could help him be a first time inductee when he is done in New England.

5. I don’t think I ever saw Chad throw a block in Cincinnati. It was nice to see him get laid out though!

6. It’ll be interesting to see how Chad responds to playing on a team that has accountability and isn’t afraid to jettison a veteran player if need be.

7. Ocho is nowhere near the player he used to be. Now hes gotta learn a new system and he has no room to complain about everything anymore. Not saying hes gonna have a bad season but people who think hes gonna light it up and have a huge season are nuts.

8. This is Belichick and Brady brainwashing him. Breaking him down to build him back up for the regular season.

They brainwashed Moss in his first camp too.

You can tell Chad is serious and wants it badly.

He’s going to be fine and I am sure he’ll be a big part of the offense.

9. Not to mention your alligator arms when you got hit CLEANLY across the middle and the refs called a penalty. This defenseless player stuff is a joke if I defender LEADS with his shoulder but yet the helmets hit that IS NOT A PENALTY. If so then there is helmet to helmet contact across the line on every play so every play there should be flag thrown!

Between that and the kickoff rule the league is becoming a joke! Heck Bball in china is rougher than today’s NFL.

10. “The more I hear, the more I can absorb and become a sponge. The more relaxed I am, the better I play.”

He is more of a Patrick.

11. To quote Fight Club:

A guy who came to Fight Club (New England in this case) for the first time, his ass was a wad of cookie dough. After a few weeks, he was carved out of wood.

Give him some time, I think he’ll be ok.

12. mikebrownstepdown says:
    Aug 19, 2011 11:13 AM

==================================
    Another low life enjoying seeing others get hurt

13. Like T.J Chad will be out of the league next year wishing he’d never left Cinci. Yea I know you all may laugh, but they were stars in Cinci. Neither are nothing outside of Cinci. The grass is always greener….

14. Unfortunately, you can’t coach small, slow and weak. Pats should have watched video from Bengal games against the Steelers, Ravens and Browns last year – Chad doesn’t have any wheels anymore, and can’t get separation.

Jets will eat him alive.

15. Ocho will get frustrated that Welkers getting the ball all the time and end up getting himself cut…. mmmmmm week 8

16. Ocho will now be a better WR. Its going to take some time to learn the patriot way but hey it would be all worth it at the end. Hopefully

17. Not that it matters, but I hope Marvin is seeing this and learning as much about being a coach from Belichick as Chad is a receiver.

18. Spare the rod, spoil the o’child (please) –

he’s had his way far too long and ain’t no way he can change now.

He’s rooned.

19. ticalcaldwell says: Aug 19, 2011 11:07 AM

—————————————–

That is a fact? AJ hasn’t even played in a regular season game yet and he has to do a ton to live up to what Chad did in Cincinnati.

Come back with this “fact” garbage when AJ has accomplished all of this:

6 Pro Bowls
    4 All Pro teams
    Led the league in receiving one year
    Led the AFC in receiving 4 YEARS IN A ROW (something no one else has ever done)
    Holds nearly every Bengals receiving record

20. It’s an adjustment when you get the call-up from the MINOR LEAGUES (Cincy) to the BIG LEAGUES (NE).

Things are no doubt moving a little fast, and Chad isn’t the brightest bulb on the strand, but he’ll get there.

I liked how after he scored the TD he just did… well… NOTHING. No showboating, riverdance, not even a spike. He seems serious.

21. Can somebody tell me what the “Patriot way” is ?? What does that mean ? Are Patriot fans just the most snobish fans in the world ??? Seriously, what does that mean ? Examples please?

Anyway its pre season and who knows chad could have 20 TD’s by the end of the season.

I just think its funny that i watched Skip Bayless on 1st and 10 talk about how the Patriots were the geniuses of the decade for signing Chad and Fat Al. And now chad really does look very slow (though of the two i think he turns it around faster) and Fat al hasn’t played yet. I guess Mr. Bayless don’t know quite as much as he thinks he does. Of course he is the guy that said signing Nnamdi for the Eagles was overrated and signing Fat al for the Patriots was a superbowl type move. Makes sense that that guy gets paid. He should be writing a hack blog for NBC

22. “I need them to stay in my ear constantly, especially during the preseason,” Ochocinco said. “The more I hear, the more I can absorb and become a sponge. The more relaxed I am, the better I play.”

————————————————-

Wow. Talk about humble!

Anyone ever hear talk like this from 85 before????

No pouting, no excuses. Gotta like that.

Of course, it’s hard to make excuses when you’re dealing with Tom Brady and Bill Belichick, their track records prove they know what they’re doing.

23. Chad missed assignment changes made at the line of scrimmage a couple of times. This will be his ticket off the team. Recognizing his reads and adjusting is key to playing with the Pats. You do not have to be a super star, simply one who is in the right spot when the ball arrives. In addition, you sure as heck better hold onto the ball. YAC’s are not important.

24. I would write something negative about the Pats, but it’ll never be posted.

But Chad is washed up, and the two teams the Pats play are not good teams. Wait to they play someone real then I’ll praise this regular season team champion.

25. when u play in NE you have to listen in ur helmet to the guy telling you what exact Defense play the other team is going to be using..
    The Pats cheat with camera men and they know what the other team play is going to be, Thats the reason they beat everyone else but the JETS cause the JETS have already caught them and have extra people looking for these people so they don’t do it when they play the JETS…And of course they lose
    Why do you think players become stars on the pats and when they leave they suck… It’s easy when you know what the other team is going to do on every play. It’s like playing Madden and looking at the other guys controller

26. Say what you want to, but Moss revived his career in NE, Welker led the league for three striaght years after coming to NE, Deion Branch was a complete bust in Seattle working with Mike Holmgren, Ocho Cinco will do much better and revive his career in NE if he puts in the work. He will be a star again.

I makes me angry because I am a Bills Fan and it is hard to watch NE do it year after year with guy after guy. They might not lose a game this year. If LT is not a problem and Brady is kept clean, they are going to be scary.

27. andyreidisfat says:
    Aug 19, 2011 12:08 PM

————————————————-

The Patriot Way:

1. Do your job.

2. Talk about yourself and what you need to do to improve. Don’t talk about others, unless it is to compliment them.

3. Don’t allow your actions to become a distraction. Represent all Patriots in your actions.

It has nothing to do with us being snobbish fans, even if we are. It is all about the way the organization expects its members to behave, from Robert Kraft on down. This is why the Patriots are the best managed organization not just in the NFL, but in professional sports.

Not all players (of course) live up to these standards. But those who decide to be exceptions rarely stay in the uniform for very long. It’s why people like Randy Moss, Bryan Cox, Corey Dillon and others have been successful in New England where they struggled in other places. It’s why the organization truly believes that they can bring out a player’s talent, and more often than not they are right.

28. I know the Patriots have video of all of the Bengals practices, so what ever led them to believe the guy would throw a block?

29. I may be in the minority here in Cincy, but I don’t wish Chad any ill will. I hope he does well in New England. It’s refreshing to hear someone take Chad to task and hold him accountable something Marvin Lewis was either never willing or able to do!

30. I love when people like huejackson make comparisons between the NFL and a video game.

Guess it shows where they are in life.

31. ny82jy says:
    __________________

People claiming he won’t are exactly the same. Maybe worse. Unless you have a crystal ball that I don’t.

Stellar insight, as always, ny82jy.

32. To any turd that says CJ is washed up or is over rated, get a clue! He has been the 1 consistent player on the Bengals for years. He is a great receiver with an amazing career. It will be fun to see him succeed I’m NE. Man, they are potent! In the 2nd pee-season game they dismantled a team with hi hopes this year! There is mo other team even close to the Pats! I am a Viking fan, and the pats know how to put a winner on the field!
    Having Brady doesn’t hurt but B belichek is by far the greatest NFL coach to ever coach this game!

33. Can somebody tell me what the “Patriot way” is ??
    =================================
    You know, video taping opponents practices, defensive hand signals, that type of thing…The Patriot Way! Gimme a freakin break! Patsy fans are the biggest azzholes in the world!

34. cincyalldaway says:
    Aug 19, 2011 2:11 PM
    Can somebody tell me what the “Patriot way” is ??
    =================================

————————————————-

Ahhh, the sweet smell of ignorance and envy. Makes a Pats fan proud. 🙂

35. @rushmatic
    I dont need a crystal ball to know what kind of player he is. I have watched him alot over the last three seasons and its noticeable hes not what he once was. He wasnt even the best receiver on the bengals last year as T.O clearly outplayed him. Hes getting older its only natural for him to decline. Im glad you like my insight. Thanks Genious.

36. pfii63 says:
    Aug 19, 2011 2:24 PM
    cincyalldaway says:
    Aug 19, 2011 2:11 PM
    Can somebody tell me what the “Patriot way” is ??
    =================================

————————————————-

Ahhh, the sweet smell of ignorance and envy. Makes a Pats fan proud.

=================================
    Only an idiot from New England would categorize this as envy! Thanks for proving my point. What a maroon!

37. The Patriot way: Since Kraft took over the franchise about 17 years ago the Patriots have the highest winning percentage of ANY pro team in all of sports history.

Answer your question?

Patriot fans being snobbish, arrogant, etc. – You got that right, cupcake. And it’s GREAT. When (if?) they start losing again we’ll shut up, but until then – get used to it.

38. cincyalldway,

What is a maroon? Guess you are a product of the Ohio school system.

The funniest part is having a Bengals fan talk smack about a team they would kill to cheer for unlike cheering for a losing organization with inept ownership for the past twenty years.

And by the way cincy, from the fans of the winningest organization of the past decade,

you are a MORON. Enjoy your upcoming 2 win season !

39. andyreidisfat says:
    Aug 19, 2011 12:08 PM

————————————-

After watching the Squealers rape the Iggles defense yesterday, I am not so sure that he is wrong…

40. Can somebody please tell me what the “Patriot way” is??
    =================================

Well, it’s kinda hard to explain. (Queue Cheech & Chongs, “Basketball Jones” music) It’s realizing that all of your individual efforts are only for the good of the whole team…Knowing that the sum of all fifty three players is greater than the group of individuals it’s made up of…It’s kind of everywhere up here…It’s why the Celtics never were game jerseys during practice, they’re placed into the players lockers only on gameday…It’s like that little kid standing at home plate in Fenway at the beginning of last season reciting the motivational speech given by the coach back in 1980 to the “Miracle on Ice” Olympic hockey team…It’s why after 86 years and being down 0 and 3 in games to the Evil Empire back in 2004 and still believing that those “Band of idiots” can pull it off…It’s Thorton bringing a bottle of Garden ice to Vancouver and dumping it in front of the Boston bench before game seven so they could play on “home ice…” It’s the reason we’re a free nation today (Switch over to the National Anthem music) when the original Patriots continued to bring the fight everyday to the Red Coats when everybody knew that the fight was lost, except for those that believed in the “Patriot way.” It was part of all of us here then, as it is now, and it’s not going anywhere too soon.

Whew…hope that helps!

41. cincyalldaway says:
    Aug 19, 2011 2:50 PM

=================================

———————————————–

This coming from a fan of the team that serves as the maximum security facility for the NFL.

Talk about maroons! 🙂

42. 1historian says:
    Aug 19, 2011 3:05 PM
    can somebody tell me what is wrong with defensive hand signals? pfii63 seems to have his (her?) knickers in a twist over them.

————————————————–

Ummm…that wasn’t me… I was quoting someone.

Pats fan here. 🙂

43. jacunn2000 says:
    Aug 19, 2011 11:07 AM
    Oh yea, and Moss would just quit. But you already know that.
    **************************

There is something to Bill always saying that, “Randy is a very smart football player.” There is something to Randy never having to work hard and still being great when he wanted to be. Randy is a very gifted athlete and very smart football player.

Unfortunately for us Pats fans, Chad isn’t as gifted as Randy.

I am hopeful that he will still be good enough to get us back on top again.

44. ny82jy says:
    @rushmatic

_________________

It’s genius, first of all. Second, I’m just saying that you don’t know, just as I don’t know. No more fair to say he’ll light it up as he might stink it up. People said the same thing about Moss in 07 and LdT in 2010.