Gerald McCoy: “Um, Mr. Brady, can we line up?”

Gerald McCoy, Tom Brady AP

The Bucs defense didn’t look ready for primetime on Thursday night against New England. To put it mildly.

Heck, they weren’t even ready for Patriots quarterback Tom Brady to snap the ball usually.

“[Adrian] Clayborn came to me and was like, ‘Oh my god, it was so fast!’ I said, ‘I know! That’s what I’ve been trying to tell you!’ It was a reality check, we needed that,” defensive tackle Gerald McCoy said via Greg. A. Bedard of the Boston Globe.

The Patriots played at a very quick tempo, and the Bucs couldn’t recognize how to match up quickly. McCoy thinks it’s exactly what the team needed after getting a “false sense of security last week.”

“[Linebacker Mason Foster? He needed to see Tom Brady. He didn’t see to see Calabaloo from last week, whatever the dude’s name was. I’m sorry if you can hear this. I don’t know who you were, I’m sorry. It’s nothing personal,” McCoy said.

Tyler Palko?” a reporter asked.

“Falko, yeah, the replacement. He needed to see Tom Brady,” McCoy responded.

To repeat: Do not draft Calabaloo in your fantasy league.  He is not a real person.  Do not draft Tyler Palko either.  Or Falko.

Permalink 77 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New England Patriots, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Top Stories
77 Responses to “Gerald McCoy: “Um, Mr. Brady, can we line up?””
  1. bigbenrapedhinesward says: Aug 19, 2011 9:12 AM

Tom Brady was like,” calabaloo alla-kazzam” and *poof* out of no where Gerald pooped his pants.

2. sbs0311 says: Aug 19, 2011 9:12 AM

I’m not drafting Tyler Palko, but my first pick will be Shane Falco.

3. richm2256 says: Aug 19, 2011 9:13 AM

“Mr. Brady cam we line up, please?”

I guess this tells you all you need to know about Tampa’s upcoming season, huh?

4. wazu says: Aug 19, 2011 9:13 AM

Okay, Gerald McCoy just became my favorite Bucs player.

5. rayvens says: Aug 19, 2011 9:13 AM

———————–
    This is why they struggled against teams above .500 last yr. But I think they should fare a lot better this yr.

6. 7370355q says: Aug 19, 2011 9:14 AM

Perhaps the most confusing dialogue I’ve ever read.

7. cdsaints says: Aug 19, 2011 9:14 AM

Music to my ears

8. akulabug says: Aug 19, 2011 9:15 AM

On the other hand I would suggest drafting Mr Brady very high in your draft.

9. ampats says: Aug 19, 2011 9:15 AM

TB is going to have ANOTHER MVP season!

10. zimaman says: Aug 19, 2011 9:15 AM

Patriots pass rush was fierce without Ellis and Hayesworth on the field

can you just imagine how it might improve if they both bring their A game with them?

opposing QB’s are going to wet themselves

11. scubasteve4930 says: Aug 19, 2011 9:16 AM

hope this was a wake up call…because the bucs got SMOKED

12. lildon96 says: Aug 19, 2011 9:18 AM

“To repeat: Do not draft Calabaloo in your fantasy league. He is not a real person. Do not draft Tyler Palko either. Or Falko.”

You think you’re so funny, huh Greg?

13. ravensworknotsteel says: Aug 19, 2011 9:18 AM

get on the line stop day dreaming lol

14. flagstaffphotos says: Aug 19, 2011 9:18 AM

And the Pats quick-snap, no-huddle, Mr. Gadget offense prepares for another fantasy league campaign for the ages, and another 1st round playoff disaster

Somewhere, Warren Moon and Jeff George are laughing their butts off at you

15. mac3333 says: Aug 19, 2011 9:19 AM

But you can draft Shane Falco. He’s a gamer. Ask Gene Hackman.

16. mightyleemoon says: Aug 19, 2011 9:20 AM

I dig McCoy’s sense of humor.

17. j0esixpack says: Aug 19, 2011 9:21 AM

I watched the game. Brady seems…. shall we say, “focused”?

18. Patskrieg dot com says: Aug 19, 2011 9:22 AM

To all the Bucs fans screaming into a pillow over this right now; I’m sorry, but it’s hilarious.

19. ytsejamer1 says: Aug 19, 2011 9:24 AM

Calabaloo…hilarious. Those guys heads were spinning. For a young team, I think McCoy was right on the money. The more veteran led teams will do fine against my Pats…but hopefully not that well! :)

20. biggerballz says: Aug 19, 2011 9:25 AM

shane falco is a sleeper pick, his numbers may not be great but the guy’s got heart, and that’s what the sentinals need!

21. apooster says: Aug 19, 2011 9:25 AM

What the hell did Gerald McCoy just say?

22. meatloaf025 says: Aug 19, 2011 9:25 AM

The PFT post of the year award and phrase of the year awards in the same post. This is gonna be a forever moment.

23. iminyrhead says: Aug 19, 2011 9:26 AM

And to think, many so called “Football Exprets” were rating McCoy higher than Suh …. ppffft!! What a JOKE!!

24. fcs34 says: Aug 19, 2011 9:27 AM

Damn I took Falko in the fourth round. Mayock said his upside was huge.

25. southcakpanther says: Aug 19, 2011 9:27 AM

wow

these are the guys that won 10 games last year? oh yeah, all their wins were against losing teams like my Panthers.

26. beebo18 says: Aug 19, 2011 9:28 AM

Could possibly be the greatest post game interview of all time – classic stuff!!!

27. rcunningham says: Aug 19, 2011 9:30 AM

I am too hungover to even begin to comprehend this article.

28. drthunder728 says: Aug 19, 2011 9:32 AM

My first draft will be Captain Falcon. Show me your moves.

29. anonimocontraditorio says: Aug 19, 2011 9:36 AM

McCoy seems to be a fun dude

30. bullcharger says: Aug 19, 2011 9:42 AM

Calabaloo say’s he’s elite and in the same class as Shane Falco and Tom Brady.

31. icewalker946 says: Aug 19, 2011 9:43 AM

Great story, Mr. Rosenthal.

32. CKL says: Aug 19, 2011 9:45 AM

flagstaffphotos says: Aug 19, 2011 9:18 AM

Somewhere, Warren Moon and Jeff George are laughing their butts off at you
    _______________________________________
    Awww look at the cute little Jets fan. What’s the matter, don’t recognize what those things called “touchdowns on offense” are? I don’t blame you, after all you don’t see many of them on your team. :P I don’t mind a little fun smack talk or genuine critique but you and a couple others get boring with your comments about the Pats. Why do you even care? The last game that really counted, your team beat the Pats. You scurrrerd?

Guess you haven’t seen how much tougher they look physically on both sides of the ball and that they look to be able to run the ball with authority now. It’s preseason so we’ll see what happens but I never remember the Pats looking this good on defense in preseason before…just straight aggressive .

33. rpiotr01 says: Aug 19, 2011 9:47 AM

““Man, I’m telling you man, they came out, they’d turn around huddle, snap, oh, ‘There’s the Mike, Go!’ I was like, ‘Dang! Um, Mr. Brady, can we line up?’ He didn’t care. He was like, ‘You’re not going to line up.”’ McCoy said. “When we turned around one time I checked back around and my hand was going to the grass and they were like, ‘Hut!’ And I said, ‘Noooooooooooo!’”

This reads like the opening chapter of The Sound and the Fury.

34. berniemadoffsides says: Aug 19, 2011 9:49 AM

You guys are insane if you’re thinking about drafting Shane Falco #1 overall. Johnny Utah is twice the QB Shane Falco is… it’s not even close. Dude was all conference, beat SC in the Rose Bowl, remember…?

Yeahhh, Point Break!

35. bowlhounds says: Aug 19, 2011 9:50 AM

Flagstaff = Bozo(the clown)s alter ego ? truly a question the way they shudder in the precence of greatness.

36. bturner032002 says: Aug 19, 2011 9:55 AM

I dont know if I need more sleep or more coffee but I will have to re read this later!

37. whitetrashking says: Aug 19, 2011 9:56 AM

maybe Raheem should focus on having them ready to play , instead of coming up with nicknames and slogans for them……..like “youngry” i dont have to even say what that sounds like………yes i do……strait ghetto….act like a professional and coach the kids or the only nickname they will have in the end is losers

38. seneca1ss says: Aug 19, 2011 9:59 AM

I follow McCoy on Twitter and here’s what I conclude:
    Whether he plays good or bad, its in GOD’S HANDS. He wants to marry actress Lisa Raye who’s a well known gold digger

He’s Ryan leaf, Suh is Peyton manning

39. flash1283 says: Aug 19, 2011 10:01 AM

flagstaffphotos says:
    Aug 19, 2011 9:18 AM

Somewhere, Warren Moon and Jeff George are laughing their butts off at you

——-
    And somewhere all knowledgeable football fans are laughing at you.
    They don’t run a no-huddle “mr gadget offense” !!

And if you want to throw names out why don’t you ask Joe Montana and Steve Young how it worked out since it’s basically the same style (west coast offense )they ran.

And why don’t you come up with something new rather than the same crap you used a couple of days ago.

40. cdsaints says: Aug 19, 2011 10:01 AM

Willy Beaman > Shane Falco

41. jnbnet says: Aug 19, 2011 10:08 AM

flagstaffphotos says: Aug 19, 2011 9:18 AM

Somewhere, Warren Moon and Jeff George are laughing their butts off at you
    _______________________________________

Gadget offense? You mean like the wildcat that served you so well?

42. iluvwikileaks says: Aug 19, 2011 10:11 AM

The Bucs will always be a laughing stock in the NFL. This stuff is a joke. They will never be in the same league with such teams as the Patriots or my beloved Steelers.

43. NFLJunkie says: Aug 19, 2011 10:15 AM

I wonder if any of the Tampa beat reporters went all Anderson Cooper and couldn’t stop laughing when McCoy was saying all this stuff.

Hilarious.

44. 4512dawg4512 says: Aug 19, 2011 10:17 AM

I’m starting to like G. McCoy. That’s some comical honesty he just laid out there. Being able to laugh at your short comings shows good character. I’m sure he’ll develop and move on, I’m tired of hearing players make excuses for why they got beat, just own it. I like McCoy

45. berniemadoffsides says: Aug 19, 2011 10:21 AM

iluvwikileaks says:
    Aug 19, 2011 10:11 AM

——————

How’s that bandwagon of yours…?

46. abninf says: Aug 19, 2011 10:22 AM

Rah will have em ready, yo. He got they back

47. pencepost says: Aug 19, 2011 10:22 AM

I had to read each of McCoy’s quotes like five times to begin to understand what he was saying.

48. romosexualtendencies says: Aug 19, 2011 10:32 AM

The Bucs are frauds. They beat 1 team last year that had a winning record (Saints last game of the season). I see them with 6 wins MAX.

49. jpb12 says: Aug 19, 2011 10:42 AM

I guess they weren’t Youngry enough

50. agelardi says: Aug 19, 2011 10:43 AM

This is probably going to be the worst played season ever. So much for off-season workouts & conditioning.

51. stahi says: Aug 19, 2011 10:47 AM

I laughed.

52. manchestermetro says: Aug 19, 2011 10:49 AM

Romosexualtendencies, 1) you fantasy team will lose again this year to me.
    2) its preseason, so take it easy.
    3) 3 major starters were not even in pads for bucs
    So before we go ahead and ask them to sit out the season take things into context. Pats played a good game, bucs obviously were not ready yet or wanted to see what the pats threw at them. Who knows. Regardless its preseason lol Pats could fizz out and get worked next game ALA Ravens playoff’s

53. gottapoop says: Aug 19, 2011 10:56 AM

Good thing “falko” isnt our starter. I love when people hyped up the bucs after game with Chiefs. A large group of our starters didnt even play a snap. Cassel didnt even throw a pass. Our play calling was vanilla, while the bucs were blitzing on almost every play. I watched these reporters jump on bucs band wagon like they didnt even watch the game just read stats. Bucs are still a nice yound team with tons of talent, just not quite there like people assumed when they nailed my starterless chiefs.

54. bradentonbuc says: Aug 19, 2011 11:06 AM

The Bucs were outplayed, outmanned and outcoached at every level. Going to be a loooong year

55. mattyc says: Aug 19, 2011 11:11 AM

I would only draft Shane Falko in a Team D league only. Bobby Bouche is the obvious pick for a IDP league.

56. contract says: Aug 19, 2011 11:15 AM

This thread made me feel soooooo old! 50+ replies and not one Falco – “Der Kommissar” or “Rock Me Amadeus” reference in the lot.

57. tdk24 says: Aug 19, 2011 11:21 AM

OMG, what a dysfunctional franchise. LOLOLOLOL

58. jw731 says: Aug 19, 2011 11:24 AM

Two teams that haven’t won a playoff game since……Hell, who knows when……

59. chobes68 says: Aug 19, 2011 11:41 AM

“Somewhere, Warren Moon and Jeff
    George are laughing their butts off at
    you”

——–

Somewhere Brady is polishing his SB rings…..and his model wife.

60. borisbulldog says: Aug 19, 2011 11:51 AM

opposing QB’s are going to wet themselves

———————————————————-

Do you mean like when Colt McCoy wet himself in last years Browns win over NE?

61. davikes says: Aug 19, 2011 11:54 AM

If you’re a coach, adapting to the tempo of the game is something you should be practicing. And if you happened to forget to practice at an appropriate tempo, it’s a pretty easy fix. Much easier than fixing a lack of talent.

62. dikshuttle says: Aug 19, 2011 12:02 PM

Stever Spurrier read this post with his pants off. Remember Osaka.

Seriously – who runs hurry up in the first pre-season game after a lockout.

bushleague.

63. kingdm8 says: Aug 19, 2011 12:17 PM

This is the best PFT article I have ever read. By far.

64. buc13jcs says: Aug 19, 2011 12:45 PM

Wow…i didnt realize their was such hatred over the lowly bucs…i guess they shouldnt even play this year…this team should just disband, they dont hold a candle to the mighty pats lol…where were you before 2000 patsy…what a joke remember who you were…bucs have a super bowl and a top 10 defense for decade! The pats look damn btw do chowder heads know its preseason!!! Chowder heads front running idiots

65. tbswarm says: Aug 19, 2011 12:48 PM

You think his ‘Nooooooooo’ sounded like Darth Vader?

66. manchestermetro says: Aug 19, 2011 12:51 PM

Bucs will be fine this year. LOL really a preseason game has this many people saying Brady is polishing his rings, and Pats will repeat. They had a stellar half but its any given sunday adn when the stakes count lets see what happens. So far Pats have not met the expectations so maybe they might this year, but this is all maybe. Do you know why……BECAUSE its preseason. Nothing counts good or bad. Bucs beat chiefs. I dont think anyone really with any football knowledge thought that would be the same in the real season. This is just another version of Fantasy football until the first game starts. Its not really anything. We dont even know if teams are throwing games to see what other teams show them. Its happened before. This could be the aftermath lingering of the lock out.

67. unbreakable02215 says: Aug 19, 2011 12:52 PM

Gerald, don’t be too hard on yourself. I’m sure
    lots of defenders sh#t their pants the 1st time
    they line up and see a legend behind center like
    that with a pissed off look on his face getting ready to pick you apart.

68. techstar25 says: Aug 19, 2011 1:35 PM

Arguably the best player in the NFL and one of greatest QBs of all time, Tom Brady was able to confuse and outplay two rookies (Clayborn, Foster, who didn’t have the benefit of a training camp) and a second year player (McCoy), during the second preseason game.
    For Tom Brady’s next trick he’s going to walk and chew gum at the same time, while all of New England ooooohs and aaaaaaahs, and talks about how that gum never had a chance!

69. castleanthrax says: Aug 19, 2011 1:40 PM

jw731 says:
    Aug 19, 2011 11:24 AM
    Two teams that haven’t won a playoff game since……Hell, who knows when……

——————————–
    No, but they are two teams that have won the Super Bowl in recent memory…unlike the Jets.

70. polishkingski says: Aug 19, 2011 2:59 PM

not making excuses at all but i think people sometimes forget that the bills have to play the patriots twice every year. lets face it, they have been a well oiled machine for a long time and look as though they are loaded on both sides of the football this time around. being in a division with a perennialy great team is very tuff because they know you better than a non divisional opponent. it reminds me of the old days when the saints were good but had to get by the 49`ers.

71. lks311 says: Aug 19, 2011 3:45 PM

Well, the Pats play the Lions next week, on National TV, so we’ll get to see first hand the difference between McCoy and Suh. Should be interesting.

72. elyasm says: Aug 19, 2011 3:54 PM

That was the funniest PFT article I think I’ve ever read. On the plus side, the Bucs defense did stiffen up quite a bit in the second quarter.

73. chobes68 says: Aug 19, 2011 4:42 PM

Gerald McCoy, you’re alright.

This article made my day.

74. bcgreg says: Aug 19, 2011 7:33 PM

We can be heroes! Just for one day!

75. brewdogg says: Aug 19, 2011 10:25 PM

Mr McCoy, you just uttered a quote that will live forever. 50 years from now, some kid on a high school football field will walk buy the opposing QB and say “excuse me, but can we line up?”, and they will share a laugh, because it will mean that one team is all over the other one, and neither one of them will know when or where it came from.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is the immortality the media can give you.

76. bozosforall says: Aug 20, 2011 12:48 AM

chobes68 says:
    Aug 19, 2011 11:41 AM
    “Somewhere, Warren Moon and Jeff
    George are laughing their butts off at
    you”

——–

Somewhere Brady is polishing his SB rings…..and his model wife.

__
    While Pats guy fans everywhere are polishing their puds, since they all haven’t had cooch since cooch had them. Or is it because they are dreaming about Tom’s butt?

77. bozosforall says: Aug 20, 2011 12:50 AM

bowlhounds says:
    Aug 19, 2011 9:50 AM

___
    Keep on dreaming, little boy. Your blind devotion to your team still won’t make up for the fact that you were born a loser and remain a loser in real life, no matter how many titles the mercenary players that you root for win.