Ben Tate busts out of Kubiak’s doghouse

Ben Tate, Sedrick Ellis AP

After a broken ankle wiped out his rookie season before it began and with a lingering hamstring problem keeping him off the field — to the dismay of coach Gary Kubiak — Texans running back Ben Tate finally has delivered.

Tate churned up 95 yards against the Saints, on only nine carries.  Tate also scored a touchdown.

“Well, I was really surprised that he played as well as he did because he hasn’t practiced that much,” owner Bob McNair said in quotes distributed by the team.  “You can tell his conditioning isn’t what it will be and he has more speed than you saw tonight so I think that’s pretty exciting.”

Added Kubiak:  “I guess practice is overrated.”

“I was just excited to be honest,” Tate said of his performance.  “It’s been over a year since I have been out there on the field so I wasn’t really thinking about anything.  I was just excited and was just thinking ‘keep going, keep going’, I didn’t want to come out of the game for anything.”

Starter Arian Foster, who missed the preseason opener against the Jets with a hamstring injury of his own, contributed 47 yards on five carries — with two touchdowns.

Not to be forgotten, receiver Andre Johnson celebrated the monster contract given to Larry Fitzgerald with four catches for 100 yards.

The performances came in front of the largest preseason crowd ever at Reliant Stadium, where 70,828 fans showed up to see the home team beat the Saints, 27-14, only five nights after the game against the Jets.

Permalink 27 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Houston Texans, New Orleans Saints, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
27 Responses to “Ben Tate busts out of Kubiak’s doghouse”
  1. thekingdave says: Aug 21, 2011 9:47 AM

It’s in the air, AFC South Champions. Hopefully 9 years of unabashed loyalty pay off.

2. cassrangers says: Aug 21, 2011 9:54 AM

70,828 fans in a preseason game? They’re ready in Houston… especially after the baseball season they’ve had

3. madamschefter says: Aug 21, 2011 9:54 AM

I know it’s only preseason, but it sounds like Houston’s offense could be pretty damned prolific this year….

…again.

Question is, what will their defense be?

4. mrbigass says: Aug 21, 2011 10:08 AM

For a team that once featured Ron Dayne, this motherlode of RB’s is……….AWESOME!!!!!

5. darthobama says: Aug 21, 2011 10:12 AM

Less than a week ago there were articles on this site saying tate was in danger of getting cut…

6. jacunn2000 says: Aug 21, 2011 10:22 AM

Preseason…..

From a loyal 9 year fan. It is hard not to be sceptical.

7. autumnwind999 says: Aug 21, 2011 10:32 AM

Texans should be real dangerous this year. Loads of talent and depth on offense. Very good QB. Wouldn’t be surprised to see Wade Phillips improve the D dramatically.

They are definitely one to watch this year.

8. otistaylor89 says: Aug 21, 2011 10:33 AM

As a Patriot fan, I don’t think I want to see Tate anytime soon.

Kind of tells you how strong the SEC is as I didn’t find him very special at all at Auburn.

9. nflconspiracytheoristdeluxe says: Aug 21, 2011 10:45 AM

You can say what you want about the Texans offense and you’d probably be right, but it will be the defense that carries them to the promised land.

10. wesleya17 says: Aug 21, 2011 10:46 AM

What’s with the title Ben Tate was in no doghouse the guy was injured. Mike get your stories straight,you don’t have to be a Texans fan to write the truth. Coach Kubiak was just worried Tate was injury prone.

11. kerbs77 says: Aug 21, 2011 10:54 AM

AFC dark horse, these guys have the scariest offense I’ve seen in quite some time. They were good last year, with Daniels coming back and Tate providing change of pace sky is the limit. They will be much, much better with the personel changes on D combined with the wisdom of Wade.

12. cwmorga says: Aug 21, 2011 10:55 AM

The Texans looked great, but this preseason game probably meant less than most considering the teams play again week 3 of the regular season. The Saints didn’t blitz and allowed Andre to run free across the middle of the field with no double coverage.

As a Saints fan, it was still disconcerting watching the run defense giving huge running lanes to both Foster and Tate. That shouldn’t happen even in a vanilla scheme.

13. justentertainingthestupid says: Aug 21, 2011 10:59 AM

I’m pulling for Houston this year. Except on Sept 18 against my Dolphins.

14. hooknosemike says: Aug 21, 2011 11:10 AM

As long as matt shaub doesn’t jump in the air against the colts, they can win it.

15. FinFan68 says: Aug 21, 2011 11:19 AM

I think the Texans will win their division this year. They have been close and things keep falling apart on them. They look solid.

They play the Dolphins early this year and this is the only team the Dolphins have never beaten. I hope that streak ends this year but the Texans look impressive and Phillips should shore up the defense enough to get into the playoffs.

16. watermelon1 says: Aug 21, 2011 11:22 AM

autumnwind999 says: Aug 21, 2011 10:32 AM

=================================

You have two AFC West teams(Raiders and Chargers) making the “AFC Final Four” instead of anyone from the AFC North? (Steelers & Ravens)… or even the Jets as a wildcard or potential AFC East winner? Please don’t bet your house on that.

wesleya17 says: Aug 21, 2011 10:46 AM

======================
    If you read the comments, the coach and owner STILL sound like they are upset with Tate. They sound like they aren’t happy he did well because it proved them wrong. Kubiak’s comment of “I guess practice is overrated” could not be more sarcastic and spiteful. He’ll be in the doghouse, until Foster gets hurt and they need him.

17. medtxpack says: Aug 21, 2011 11:58 AM

Where Dat Defense now Saints fans?! Claiming to g othe super bowl after you destroyed the Niners. All to find out that your head coach threw a fit that another coach didnt call him or send him a text, pathetic!

18. b1unt3d says: Aug 21, 2011 12:29 PM

“I have Houston in my AFC Final Four this season along with the Pats, Raiders and (sadly) Chargers. And I wouldn’t rule out a trip to Indy for the Texans.”

Seriously dude? hahahaha

19. 6stairwayto7 says: Aug 21, 2011 1:16 PM

The Texans have a one year wonder at RB every year

20. Dynasty says: Aug 21, 2011 1:41 PM

Foster goes down with hammy!! Tate emerges!! This kid is a BEAST. Big, Strong, FAST, i know it’s once but man he LOOKED impressive!!

21. nola4eva says: Aug 21, 2011 1:52 PM

medtxpack says: Aug 21, 2011 11:58 AM

nola4eva says:

You seriously need to calm down..seriously…its PRESEASON!!! I wouldnt get too excited of I were you lol… I like Schaub and AJ though. Schaub was my fantasy QB and I did quite well with him. Although I am a loyal and faithful WHO DAT, its only preseason and no need for panic or celebration. Are you kidding? And for those immature fans who automatically think Super Bowl after one game, they are oblivious to what football is all about. Its a long road, and the playing of the REGULAR SEASON GAMES is what will determine which team gets there. WHO DAT ALL DAMN DAY!!

22. nevermore52 says: Aug 21, 2011 1:56 PM

Paper tigers. The Colts will take the AFC South for the bajillionth year in a row. Write that down.

23. 9thsaint says: Aug 21, 2011 2:09 PM

It’s only preseason. September 25th we will see the real Texans

24. philyeagles5 says: Aug 21, 2011 2:10 PM

nflconspiracytheoristdeluxe says:
    Aug 21, 2011 10:45 AM
    ============================
    thats obvious. they had the best offense a couple years ago and still missed the playoffs.

25. bigtimetexanfan says: Aug 21, 2011 2:25 PM

Andre Johnsone > Larry Fitzgerald

26. goawayeverybody says: Aug 21, 2011 2:31 PM

Ben Tate is smoking.

27. andrejohnsonforpresident says: Aug 21, 2011 4:53 PM

Swear to god if you have good lateral movement. You can do good behind this o-line. Tate can cut left and right on a dime, almost as good as foster. Should be exciting to watch them this year.